Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Why is Nurgle so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Road View Post
    Pretty sure I first heard of Nergal from Hellblazer comics
    me from 40k universe
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Why does Nurgle appear so much more often as a character in movies, TV shows, and games than any other Babylonian deity?

The Babylonian pantheon foesn't generally get much exposure compared to the romans and the egyptians, but Nergal's in everything. Hellboy, Warhammer, the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, and also the names of most of the death gods in D&D are clearly corruptions of his name (ie. Jergal, Nerull, etc.)?

Why is he in so much stuff?
    My guess is that because Babylonian myth isn't as well known as greek and egyptian myth, it allows a more flexible interpretation while still having a genuine mythological name.
    It helps that the bible demonised some ancient gods of other cultures (looking at you, Baal), which may have made babylonian deities sound more vile just by association.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinale View Post
    Why are Hades and Anubis some of the more well known members of their pantheons among individuals who may not necessarily be well informed about mythology? Death gods are cool, yo.
    You know what's funny, neither of them was a god of death, Hades was the god of the underword, Anubis the god of funeral rites
    After years of disintoxication I'm back in the D&D tunnel

"I don’t understand God. I don’t understand how He could see the way people treat one another, and not chalk up the whole human race as a bad idea. I guess He’s just bigger about it than I would be."
    Jim Butcher-Dresden Files, book 3

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Heresy!!, i request an Exterminatus order for this thread!!

Nergal is a sumerian deity (later adopted by the akadians and great part of eastern semite groups). I think all gods of death and underworld are more interesting for a show than other portfolios, ususally for antagonist and villains.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish_Paladin View Post
    Heresy!!, i request an Exterminatus order for this thread!!

Nergal is a sumerian deity (later adopted by the akadians and great part of eastern semite groups). I think all gods of death and underworld are more interesting for a show than other portfolios, ususally for antagonist and villains.
    Excepth ishtar and morrigan every god can sod of from my worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.