The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 43 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default MtG: YMTC challenge V: Familicide is a CMC 5 Black Sorcery

Rather than having a weekly contest with many entries and judging and a winner being declared who makes the next contest, instead everyone is a contestant, a judge, and the creator of the next contest all at once!

Each post should contain a short critique of the card made by the poster before them, a card that meets the challenge posted by the poster before them, and a new challenge for the next poster to take on.

Other contests:
    You Make the Card
    You Make the Mini-Set!

There is no time limit on when a challenge can be met, and no restriction on how often you can post other than that you can't fulfill your own challenges. If two people respond to the same challenge, the next poster simply picks which of those to judge and meet the challenge of, though if you're up to it you could also try fulfilling both challenges at the same time, assuming that's possible.

As with the other challenges, cards should be submitted in text format, like so:

Card Name Mana Cost
    Type - Subtype Rarity
    Card Text
    Flavor Text
    Power/Toughness

For example:

Giant Spider 3G
    Creature - Spider C
    Reach (This creature can block creatures with flying.)
    "It has a quickness about it that seems unnatural for its large size, yet its hunger is about right."
    —Endril, Kalonian naturalist

2/4

Spoiler: Purple and Idols FAQ, By Jorm
    Show
    Who are You and What did You do to Magic?

We're here to have fun, and having fun includes randomly making new subtypes and/or colours. The reason that this is here is that people keep on asking what they are and how they're supposed to work with them. Idols were designed originally by Fifth Column Games in their game War of Omens, and Purple was due to show up in Planar Chaos but never did. I grabbed both of these into Magic as it currently stands, and some people picked up on them.

This FAQ is to explain what exactly happens when someone's talking about "Purple" or something has the "Idol" subtype without you having a clue what that means.

Idols are probably something that Wizards can do - the idea is similar to Shrines, which happened - but purple is right up there with half-values on the Storm scale, and only half a point down from the eponymous defunct keyword. Challenges which require idols should be fine, but challenges shouldn't require purple, or at least should offer a let-out if you don't like it.

Idols and purple have their own sets and backstory which feature in some of the explanations below.

What's an Idol?

Styx Idol by Aisu Isme

An idol is one of many shrines, icons or holy objects (including weapons and animated constructs) that fell from the Otherworld due to the actions of Speaker Trianna, a planeswalker from Veldan. They are all spiritually interlinked, and a prayer to one would call out to all nearby.

Mechanically, an idol has the following characteristics (These are the defining characteristics, these are more mutable):

• It is an ARTIFACT with the IDOL subtype.
    • It is COLOURLESS but uses COLORED mana for its ACTIVATED ABILTITY.
    • It has "CCT: Energise each idol you control," where C are coloured mana. They may both be the same colours or different colours; they might be purple.
    • It has "When you energise ~, do something."
    • It might be a creature, equipment or fortification.

For example:

Idol of Life 1
    Artifact - Idol C
    WWT: Energise each idol you control.
    When you energise idol of life, you gain 2 life.

What About purple?

Purple by Edux

There was, originally, going to be a set with purple in it, which represented a sort of otherworldly, unnatural force. This never actually ended up happening, but the idea stuck with me. The basic land for purple was either going to be cave or city; I chose city, as it fit with Purple's unnatural, and yet all too close to home, theme.

Purple is the third colour of mana, after blue but before black - the new order is WUPBRG. The basic land for purple is City. Cities are basic lands but city isn't a basic land type; purple is a colour but purple isn't one of The Colours Of Magic. This means the following (Coalition Victory and Transguild Courier are the more interesting ones, the others act the same way they would with white)

All is Dust: Destroys purple permanents.
    Alloy Golem: When you're asked for a colour, "Purple" is a valid response and the golem can become purple.
    Brave the Elements: When you're asked for a colour, "Purple" is a valid response. "Protection from purple" is a valid ability.
    Coalition Victory: Checks to see if you control a plains, an island, a swamp, a mountain, a forest, a white creature, a blue creature, a black creature, a red creature and a green creature. It doesn't care whether or not you have a city or a purple creature. If you have a red and purple creature, Coalition Victory sees a red creature. If you have a swamp city, it registers as a swamp.
    Emrakul, the Aeons Torn: Has protection from purple permanents.
    Transguild Courier: Isn't purple. It would need to say "All colours, and purple." I know that doesn't sound as though it makes sense, but it does.

What is Purple as a Personality Type?

Purple Rain by Joe Maccer

My colour is purple. I value individuality and thought, I value justice and personal benefit, I value natural and mechanical. I take what I see as the best aspects of the world out of their context, and live it to the full, but also stand by my own way of thinking with utter disregard for the opinions of others. At my best, I am innovative and a maverick. At my worst, I am debased and an outcast. Nominally, my ally colours are blue and black, and my enemy colours are green and, to a lesser extent white and red, but in reality, I could be anyone's ally and my own worst enemy.

I am purple and white. I value personal discipline and excellence. I am a natural-born leader, and work to defeat tyrannical rulers and follow my dreams, helping others whenever I can. At my best, I am charitable and inspiring. At my worst, I am proselytising and over-zealous.

I am purple and blue. I enjoy escaping to my own company and thinking about the things of this world. I am so much better at considering things I can't see than other people that sometimes people ask whether or not I am real. At my best, I am intellectual and honest. At my worst, I am pedantic and unrealistic.

I am purple and black. I am an individualist to the extreme, believing my way of doing things to be objectively correct. I get things done at an alarming rate, ignoring anyone who thinks they know better than me. At my best, I am efficient and self-sufficient. At my worst I am over-proud and egocentric.

I am purple and red. I am loud and boisterous, and prepared to go with any scheme even without support. I am usually maniacal about something, and love being free from what the rest of the world things. At my best I am independent and confident. At my worst I am destructive and hot-headed.

I am purple and green. I can lose myself in the wilds easily, and much prefer the company of the outdoors to the company of humans, though I'm not averse to taking very close friends along with me. At my best I am carefree and impassive, at my worst I am reserved and distant.

What does Purple do Mechanically? What About the Colour Combinations?

Purple does quite a lot of things, actually!

The Cards are Made Up and the Rules Don't Matter

Keep Calm and Screw the Rules by Slamtackle

"This card has flying!" "No it doesn't." "You can't bring cards back from exile!" "Oh yes I can!" "Wait, it's a sorcery and a planeswalker at the same time?" "Well, no, not the same time. It's a flip card." "EXILE TARGET LIBRARY?" "Teehee~"

There are lots of things that don't happen in magic. Things don't move about between permanent and non-permanent. Things don't eat up people's abilities like cotton candy. You don't exile entire libraries. But then, whoever heard of "Protection from everything" or a spell that repeats itself each upkeep but nigh-on bans you from playing the game? Well, Progenitus and Epic would like to say hi. Strange corners of Magic which could be visited but aren't suddenly see the light. Be inspired!

Examples:

Quijuk Acolyte 1WP
    Creature - Human wizard R
    1WPT, exile Quijuk Acolyte: Revivify target card. (Return a card in exile to your hand)
    1/2

Quijuk Tranquil W/P
    Creature - Human Monk C
    Silenced (Quijuk Tranquil loses all abilities except silenced, and its equipment and auras have no effect except granting Silenced).
    People say they have no emotions. All we know is that they're the ones the Quijuk allow to leave, and they're the ones who've never wanted to return.

1/1

Card Wars: The Johnny Strikes Back

Throw Your Cards Down by Tempasta

"So then I play Crescendo, but because I cast another spell this turn, it does four damage instead of two but because I have a card with Flamestorm 1 that does another 1 damage, and it triggers Perpetual Motion so I draw a card, and then I cast Otherworld Lance, but I have a card with Accelerate so I only pay RP for it, and it does another point of damage, then I draw another card. I use Dust to Dust, draw another card with Perpetual Motion, and that exiles my graveyard, which means I use Otherworld Lance's Otherworlder cost to cast it again from exile, which does an extra point of damage from having Flamestorm, and Perpetual Motion draws another card. Okay, now it's your turn."

No-one does weenie instants or sorceries with much conviction, because they have to cantrip, and most of weenie effectiveness relies on synergy and anthems, which don't work as well with non-permanents. Solution: Have anthems which affect the spells that you cast, and have spells which synergise with other spell casts, in a sort of storm-esque way without bringing back Storm itself.

Examples:
    Perpetual Motion 4UP
    Enchantment - R
    When you cast a spell, draw a card.

Waize Flameholder 2PR
    Creature - Human Mage U
    Flamestorm 1 (When a source you control would deal non-combat damage, it deals 1 more damage)
    3/3

Crescendo 1PR
    Sorcery U
    Crescendo deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
    Second Wind - Crescendo deals 4 damage to that creature or player instead if you've cast another spell this turn.

Exile!

The Exile by Lostknightkg

The exile zone is meant to be a kind of super-graveyard for cards that never come back. AWOL highlights what happened to that idea. Now, purple capitalises on the exile zone, chucking entire graveyards in and pulling them back onto the battlefield with reckless abandon.

Examples:

Otherworldly Power 4PP
    Sorcery - R
    Otherworldly power deals X damage divided as you wish between any number of creatures and players and you gain X life, where X is the number of cards in exile.
    They may be in a better place, but they are no worse magi for that.

Void Dance 1P
    Sorcery - U
    Exile any number of target permanents you own.
    What was ours once will be ours forever.

Seek and Destroy P
    Sorcery - C
    Draw a card.
    Search your library for a card and exile it. Then shuffle your library.
    To the Otherworld! Go!

Guild Abilities

Purgators P
    Mechanics: Judgement (When a creature fighting, blocking or blocked by this creature dies, exile it), Otherworlder {Cost} (If this card is in exile, you may cast it for {Cost})

House Quijuk WP
    Mechanics: Silenced (This permanent loses all abilities except silenced, and its equipment and auras have no effect except granting Silenced), Revivify (Return target card from exile to your hand)

House Kasstar UP
    Mechanics: Warpstrike {cost} (When ~ becomes blocked you may pay {cost}. If you do, exile ~ and return it to the battlefield under your control, tapped and attacking.), Shift (Whenever ~ is targeted you may return it to your hand and put another creature with the same or lower converted mana cost onto the battlefield which then becomes the target instead. That card cannot Shift this turn.)

House Zelb PB
    Mechanics: Isolation (Spells and abilities which effect "all" or "each" do not effect this card),
    Outcast (Permanents with outcast cannot be exiled)

House Waize PR
    Mechanics: Flamestorm X (When a spell you control would deal noncombat damage, it deals X more instead), Second Wind - If you've cast another spell this turn, do X.

House Gidai PG
    Mechanics: Lock In (Target a card and remember what card it is); Paragon If X has the highest power among creatures you control, [effect].

Clan Trostan WPR
    Mechanics: Standalone - If you control no (other) creatures, [effect]; Substitute - If there are no valid targets/you can't/no Xs are Yed in this way, [effect].

Veldan UPB
    Mechanics: Conversion {Cost} (Cost, reveal ~ from your hand: Target spell you control becomes a copy of ~. If applicable, X is equal to the CMC of that spell); One Eye Open - When you draw a card, do X.

What's the Story Behind These Anyway?

Until recently, nobody had ever heard of Purple mana. How could a city, a congregation of humans who utterly destroy the land on which they live without reverence or care, be a source of mana? And yet, it was this very same left-fieldness, the selfsame strangeness, that led Trianna, a planeswalker from Veldan, to be able to draw mana from it. She realised that the power of mana on Veldan was being channeled through the creations of the people themselves.

However, Trianna's meddling did not go without consequence. Transplanar Rifts, which allowed anyone or anything to travel through, came between any plane that Trianna had visited and the planes where purple mana was more easily accessible. These rifts appeared first around the places of power, the idols, which were sucked through into the realms she had visited.

And so idols began to appear in Innistrad, Ravinica, Tarkir and Veldan. Preachers stood at the strange structures, praying for a miracle that would deliver them from their enemies. Guilds harnessed the idols' powers to wage war on another front. Clans guarded the idols as though they were sacred. And Trianna put her head in her hands and moaned.

It got worse. The purple guilds wanted their idols back. The Quijuk, responsible for ensuring morals more than law, tried to steal back their idols with minimal loss of life. The quiet and reserved Kasstar, known for their eminent dishonour, took similar tactics, while the psychotic sociopaths of house Zelb killed anyone who got in their way, where as the enraged and flagrant house Waize burned entire buildings to get what they wanted. The Gidai, masters of the hunt, assassinated anyone and everyone to return the idols of the gods. Ravinica was under assault and half of them didn't even know it.

More obvious were the Trostan clan, who ravaged across the wastes of Tarkir defying any and all to oppose them. Purgators, strange mockeries of what it means to be a free being, fought with angel and demon alike across Innistrad. And then, Trianna decided to move in, just to add to the confusion. Nobody was quite sure who was fighting whom, but Trianna was determined to stop them.

Are There Going to be Sets for These?
    Yes.

I have no idea what I'm actually calling these, but they get development codenames because they do. Yes, I might actually write them all up because I'm that crazy.

Yellow: In which idols are introduced - artifact themed set. Details the story of the idols appearing; limited purple in the form of mono-purple as Purgators invade Innistrad.
    Magenta: In which purple people invade Ravinica. Lots of use of guild abilities.
    Cyan: Where Trostan and Veldan lay their scene. Involves three-colour purple, and lots of things cantrip or cause each other to cantrip. (Might keyword cantrip?)

The idea of the set is "Playing Magic in a different way" - Artifact decks and Everything is Cantrips allow you to take a break from creatures and makes card advantage odd, Trostan's change-the-mana-cost abilities radically change the game dynamic, and purple is... well, purple!

Note that you do not have to, and in fact should not, make challenges with Purple. If you do decide to (or challenge with any other non-official mechanic), it is a good idea to make another option. For example, you could say "Make a purple card, or make a card that interacts with exile".

And to the challenge:

Overall, a nice Boros card, particularly as it meshes well with Battalion, that loveable Boros mechanic that encourages mass attacks! Or, one that can combine with some of the very nice tap effects from both white and red.

Defensive Ground
    Artifact Land UC
    As long as ~ is Fortified, token creatures you control have +1/+3
    T- Add W to your Mana pool
    "The land itself was almost a fortress already. A little extra work, and nothing would drive them out."

Next challenge; A Fortification! Sure, it was only ever on one card, but why not more!
    Last edited by Warmatt; 2017-02-10 at 06:36 PM.
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: MtG: YMTC challenge V: Familicide is a CMC 5 Black Sorcery

Quote Originally Posted by Warmatt View Post
    Defensive Ground
    Artifact Land UC
    As long as ~ is Fortified, token creatures you control have +1/+3
    T- Add W to your Mana pool
    "The land itself was almost a fortress already. A little extra work, and nothing would drive them out."
    It relies a lot on there being a lot of fortifications in whatever environment it sees play in, but it's a great buff to any token deck. It turns a lot of janky token decks into a flood of high-toughness chump blockers, but that's not bad. I like it.

Next challenge; A Fortification! Sure, it was only ever on one card, but why not more!
    Animist's Reservoir - 3
    Artifact - Fortification - U
    Fortified Land is a 2/6 green land creature with "T: Target creature gets +2/+6 until end of turn". It's still a land.
    Fortify 2

Challenge: A CMC 5 Black Sorcery (not Familicide. Nice try.)
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    Nehra, inventor

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Generally speaking, there's little purpose to Fortifications because land-enchanting auras can accomplish almost anything fortifications can do in a much more elegant fashion. Land animation, like your proposal, is possibly the only exception, since animated lands are liable to die, and being able to reuse the animating card is a significant benefit. But while using a Fortification makes sense in this case, I think the design space is too narrow to justify Fortifications as a mechanic.

Ruthless Bargain 3BB
    Sorcery (U)
    Target player draws four cards and loses 4 life.

Next: Something with morph.
    Last edited by Blue Ghost; 2017-02-10 at 07:59 PM.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

As the black draw/lose life cards get bigger, they also get closer to viable finishers, which makes this kind of spooky. Despite being expensive and slow, and probably worthless against aggro decks, it's at a point where pushing it further would probably be a bad idea. Which is fine, I guess, it's pretty great in limited.

Quicksilver Slime UG
    Creature - Ooze R
    Deathtouch
    Whenever a creature blocking or blocked by Quicksilver Slime dies this turn, you may have Quicksilver Slime become a copy of that creature, except it still has this ability.
    Megamorph 2UG
    0/4

Challenge: Another card with built in trickiness. Or, another tough creature. Bonus points for both.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

(Don't mind me, just posting to subscribe to ten new thread)

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    (Don't mind me, just posting to subscribe to ten new thread)
    (there's a "thread tools" button on the top of the page that you can use for that )
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    Nehra, inventor

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2go View Post
    Quicksilver Slime UG
    Creature - Ooze R
    Deathtouch
    Whenever a creature blocking or blocked by Quicksilver Slime dies this turn, you may have Quicksilver Slime become a copy of that creature, except it still has this ability.
    Megamorph 2UG
    0/4

Challenge: Another card with built in trickiness. Or, another tough creature. Bonus points for both.
    This seems like a creature you'd basically never want to cast other than as a Morph, since it's so much better if it has a point of power. Zero power creatures with Deathtouch are a bit unintuitive. It's an interesting ability. I don't think it needs the 'except it still has this ability' bit, seems fine already and you're unlikely to get more than one use out of it anyway once your opponent knows what's going on. Keeping the +1/+1 counter when it changes form will also throw some players off.

Daring Duelist - 1RW
    Creature - Human Soldier - Rare

First Strike
    Heroic - Whenever you cast a spell that targets Daring Duelist, Daring Duelist gets +2/+2 until end of turn, then you may choose new targets for that spell.

1/3

Challenge - A blue, black or white removal spell.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

So, the heroic ability may as well trigger whenever you cast a spell that has one or more targets. Given that, I think it's too powerful. It would be fine with the heroic ability not re-targeting.

Familicide 3BB
    Sorcery R
    Destroy target creature and each creature which shares a creature type with it.
    "Everyone who could possibly make a claim to be part of your family is gone now."
    - Vaarsuvius

Next: Another black sorcery.

9. - Top - End - #9

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Familicide 3BB
    Sorcery R
    Destroy target creature and each creature which shares a creature type with it.
    "Everyone who could possibly make a claim to be part of your family is gone now."
    - Vaarsuvius

Next: Another black sorcery.
    Interesting. Not quite an Extinction, since it hits all of the target's creature types. 5 mana feels good, but it could even be bumped down to 4 mana, because it's not always quite a boardwipe, due to the diversity of played creatures (though a Human is usually a safe bet).

Macar's Madness- 1B
    Sorcery- R
    Until end of turn, if a creature would die, instead exile it and create a colorless artifact token named Gold with "Sacrifice this artifact: add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

Challenge: Another Theros-based card!

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Macar's Madness- 1B
    Sorcery- R
    Until end of turn, if a creature would die, instead exile it and create a colorless artifact token named Gold with "Sacrifice this artifact: add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

Challenge: Another Theros-based card!
    It's an interesting card but probably a bit too situational to be good. It's graveyard hate for some combo decks and it occasionally makes you a lot of gold, but neither scenario is going to happen particularly frequently and it's probably a bit too uncommonly relevant to make it into a sideboard, unless there's a Project X style combo which was dominating the format. It also probably needs to be an instant to do what it needs to. Playing this and then playing a sweeper probably isn't worth this guy's card unless the opponent has a lot of creatures with death triggers, and sweepers are most commonly played to stabilize ASAP and so the caster doesn't frequently have spare mana available.

Karametra's Champion - 1GWW
    Enchantment Creature - Archon - Rare
    Flying, Lifelink
    Players can't cast spells with converted mana costs greater than the number of lands that player controls.
    2/4

Challenge: Another creature that disrupts both players.
    Last edited by Gauntlet; 2017-02-14 at 04:09 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Well... Elf decks and Artefact mana bases are both screwed up by it. Which may or may not be a good thing. It also has a sideline in mucking over Surge and Madness, and can also impact Morph costs pretty badly too. This + Karametra herself makes for a potent little EDH combo. All in all... I'd say this card does TOO much for its relatively low mana cost. Double white's certainly not the easiest thing to come across, but if you were planning on running with this, you'd have land fetching in ABUNDANCE.

Devil of Double Dealing 3BR
    Creature - Demon - R
    Each player skips their draw step.
    Discard a card: Draw a card. Any player may activate this ability. Activate this ability only once per turn and only whenever you could cast a sorcery.
    4/4

(Hey, nothing said it had to disrupt both players equally. )

Challenge! A non-Eldrazi card that uses Devoid.
    Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2017-02-14 at 08:50 AM.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post

Devil of Double Dealing 3BR
    Creature - Demon - R
    Each player skips their draw step.
    Discard a card: Draw a card. Any player may activate this ability. Activate this ability only once per turn and only whenever you could cast a sorcery.
    4/4

(Hey, nothing said it had to disrupt both players equally. )
    Devil of Double Dealing looks like a solid lock piece with a big body attached at a competitive price - it's a full lock combined with a way to Slide it out during upkeep or any card draw engine. In that capacity, it's probably too good as a 4/4.

But there are some other issues besides the numbers. "Any player may activate this ability. Activate this ability only once per turn and only whenever you could cast a sorcery" could easily be misinterpreted as requiring the opponents to use it on the owner's turn. And it has the potential to stalemate the game, if played when both players have an empty hand - this is a MAJOR inherent problem with the design.

The flavor is decent, but the mechanic of skipping opponents' draw steps needs to be used VERY carefully.

Challenge! A non-Eldrazi card that uses Devoid.
    Metal Minstrel 2W
    Artifact Creature - Construct Rogue U
    Devoid (This card has no color.)
    White Creatures you control get +1/+1
    I suspect it has as little appreciation for its own music as it shows for mine. - Argus, Balladier
    2/2

Challenge: Another alliterative creature.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2017-02-14 at 12:25 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

13. - Top - End - #13

Let's see...
    Devoid is an oddball mechanic that does nothing by itself, and so really needs a justification to exist, ideally both in flavor and mechanics. The Eldrazi provided one, and I think there could be other possible justifications, but it can't just exist by itself. Devoid breaks a fundamental rule of Magic, that cards are the same color as their mana costs, and so would need a really good reason for existing. I personally don't like how devoid was implemented in BFZ, as it had very little mechanical relevance or justification outside of fluff, but it at least served a purpose there. I would need an explanation of why this has devoid.
    Second, colored artifacts. A major part of artifacts' mechanical identity is that they can be played in any deck. There have been exceptions, but those are very rare, and it's another fundamental design rule that needs a solid justification for breaking. Devoid does not help in this regard, because it's the cost of the artifact that matters, not the color identity.
    A specifically devoid card that cares about a particular color is also really strange.
    So, this card does a lot of weird things. While I can see possible justifications for those rule bends, I wouldn't advise going there without a very good reason, and certainly not on the same card.

Hollowhenge Haunt B
    Creature - Spirit (U)
    Flying
    Hollowhenge Haunt can't block.
    You may cast Hollowhenge Haunt from your graveyard if you control no creatures.
    1/1

Next: Remake a card from Portal Three Kingdoms.
    Last edited by Blue Ghost; 2017-02-14 at 02:15 PM.

Love wins. S'agapo.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Response to judge questions on Metal Minstrel:
    Spoiler
    Show

The design is an attempt to make most of the issues you raise cancel each other out.

Why does devoid matter? So that the anthem effect doesn't affect it, or other copies of it.
    Why is it a colored artifact? It's not; the Devoid ability enforces the "artifacts should be colorless" principle.
    Why does it have colored mana in its cost? Because the color specific anthem is (mostly) a white ability.
    That just leaves the "artifacts should be playable in any color" principle, which is established as optional for color-matters artifacts (e.g. Pearl Medallion); you generally shouldn't be playing it in a nonwhite deck regardless.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2017-02-14 at 02:36 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Spoiler: Response to response
    Show
    It's debatable how successful the factors mitigate one another. They could be seen to only exacerbate one another. Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be any positive purpose to them other than to attempt to cancel out each other's problems. What does it lose by simply being a non-devoid, nonartifact creature that grants the bonus to other white creatures?

Love wins. S'agapo.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

I see you there, gravecrawler. Are you more likely to control no creatures or a zombie? Probably the zombie. Still, a very similar card has been put at rare. I think you would want to put it at rare again.

Guan Yu Ascendant 3WW
    Planeswalker - Guan-Yu MR
    +1: Target creature can't be blocked this turn.
    -5: Destroy all tapped creatures.
    -9: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control get +2/+2".

Next: Another planeswalker version of an old legendary creature.

17. - Top - End - #17

OldWizardGuy

A very nice, if somewhat simple Planeswalker. Grants an evasion, destroys tapped creatures, and gives a small buff if it can survive long enough, though you would probably only get loyalty costing effect off. However, there are some awesome looking potential combos you could pull, particularly with some Blue/White cards.

Sek'Kuar, Deathchief 3BRG
    Planeswalker- Sek'Kuar MR
    +2 Creatures you control gain Undying until the end of the turn
    -3 Place X 3/1 Black and Red Graveborn creature tokens with haste into play, where X is the number of creatures in your graveyard
    -8 You gain an emblem with "Whenever a nontoken creature you control is destroyed, place a loyalty counter on ~"

Next; A commander!
    Last edited by Warmatt; 2017-02-14 at 06:57 PM.
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Spoiler: Response to response
    Show
    It's debatable how successful the factors mitigate one another. They could be seen to only exacerbate one another. Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be any positive purpose to them other than to attempt to cancel out each other's problems. What does it lose by simply being a non-devoid, nonartifact creature that grants the bonus to other white creatures?
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's not itself a member of the white 'tribe', so if you have 2 they don't pump each other. It also has flavor implications, which I apparently failed to communicate clearly.

19. - Top - End - #19

The last ability is totally useless and not at all appropriate for a planeswalker's ultimate. When you get a planeswalker to ultimate, you want it to give you a game-winning advantage. This does nothing but attempt to recoup the lost loyalty, and it ultimately doesn't even do that.
    The first two abilities are quite nice as a finisher in an aggressive deck. Three starting loyalty for a six-mana planeswalker is rather worrying, and I feel like it's quite overcosted in general. Also, this feels very much like a black/red card, or maybe even mono-red; there's no green in it.

Sorceress Thaegan 2UB
    Legendary Creature - Hag (M)
    Sorceress Thaegan has hexproof as long as she's untapped.
    UB, T: Search your library for an Aura card and put it onto the battlefield attached to target opponent or target creature an opponent controls. Shuffle your library. You lose life equal to that card's converted mana cost.
    3/1

Spoiler: Render
    Show

Next: A heroic black planeswalker.
    Last edited by Blue Ghost; 2017-02-15 at 02:10 AM.

Love wins. S'agapo.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

It's interesting, but probably too weak for any standard environment. 4 mana that does nothing initially and even after, unless there's some crazy enchantment removal floating around I'm not sure this is playable. Like, Faith's Fetters is okay, I guess? You simultaneously want something really big, and don't want it to be too useless in the aggro matchup. You're just... too far behind on tempo already for it to get much done, most of the time. I wouldn't be super happy about pulling this. Now, in EDH... it's still pretty wimpy (but maybe interesting and fun) as a commander, since not having white loses you a lot of enchantment removal, but it might be super good in, say, Oloro. I guess that's fine. It would've been nice if you threw in white and gave it lifelink, though.

Thash, Silence Keeper 3BB
    Planeswalker - Thash R
    +2 - Exile up to 5 target creatures from graveyards. You gain life equal to the number of creatures exiled this way.
    -1 - Destroy target creature.
    -7 - You get an emblem that says "Whenever a creature dies, target opponent loses 5 life."

Challenge: More repeatable removal, or another dead guy.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

The plus ability is pretty terrible most of the time, but the ability to kill two creatures in three turns is just way too powerful.

Molgur Deathblade - 3B
    Creature - Zombie Assassin - U
    When Molgur Deathblade enters the battlefield, target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn.
    When another creature you control dies, you may pay 3BB, if you do, return Molgur Deathblade to the battlefield tapped.
    2/1

Another Molgur card.

@V Molgur is not a reference to anything existing, I made it up for my card.
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2017-02-15 at 06:48 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Molgur Deathblade - 3B
    Creature - Zombie Assassin - U
    When Molgur Deathblade enters the battlefield, target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn.
    When another creature you control dies, you may pay 3BB, if you do, return Molgur Deathblade to the battlefield tapped.
    2/1

Another Molgur card.
    Repeatable removal probably shouldn't be uncommon, particularly when it also comes attached to a creature. The fact this guy's ability is mandatory means he will sometimes kill himself, which is pretty awful. This guy feels like he'd be an enormous beating in limited who lets your creatures repeatedly trade up, and completely useless in constructed because he costs so much mana to use and his p/t are awful.

As far as I can tell from some googling, the Molgur are Wyrm worshipping Trollbloods and associated races from the Iron Kingdoms, so I'm not entirely sure how that connects up to a zombie assassin.

Champion of the Devourer - 2BRG
    Creature - Troll Barbarian - Rare
    Menace
    Whenever another creature you control dies, Champion of the Devourer gets +2/+2 and gains trample until end of turn.
    1G, sacrifice a creature: Champion of the Devourer is indestructible this turn.
    4/4

Challenge: A blue enchantment.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

it's a lot of power, but that's what you want in a 5 drop, especially in three colors. The main issue is that the second ability is gonna give you a lot of irrelevant buffs, because you'll have a big combat where your guys die, but by the time the buff resolves, combat's over. It also probably could just be G/B. Still, it seems pretty balanced, and nifty enough.

Library Duty U
    Enchantment - Aura U
    Enchant Creature
    When ~ enters the battlefield, tap enchanted creature. Its controller draws two cards.
    Enchanted creature doesn't untap during its controller's untap step.

Challenge: Another card you might cast on creatures on either side of the board. Or, another cheap spell. Bonus points for both.

24. - Top - End - #24

On your own creature, it's cheaper than Altar's Reap, in a color that's less suited for the role. I'd say it has to cost at least a bit more to balance it in that regard. That would make it less appealing as a removal option, but modal spells don't have to have all their options equal. I would never feel good about using this on an opponent's creature even at the current cost, but as a draw option it could work, especially if you have a way to get rid of it after playing it.

Guarded Secrets 1U
    Enchantment - Aura (C)
    Enchant creature
    When enchanted creature dies, draw two cards.
    "Find out what she knows, whatever it takes." --Lazav

Next: Another card that draws two cards.

Love wins. S'agapo.

25. - Top - End - #25

OldWizardGuy

A simple enough enchantment, that has payoffs if you use the creature to block, or to sacrifice for something else. All in all, a nice way of getting some extra cards with a built in delay.

Curio, Hunter of Secrets 2UW
    Legendary Creature- Cat Scout R
    Undying
    When ~ enters the battlefield, draw two cards
    Remove a +1/+1 counter; Scry 2
    "Curiosity killed the cat, but secrets brought her back."
    2/2

Next Challenge; A Green or White Land Creature!

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Warmatt View Post
    Curio, Hunter of Secrets 2UW
    Legendary Creature- Cat Scout R
    Undying
    When ~ enters the battlefield, draw two cards
    Remove a +1/+1 counter; Scry 2
    "Curiosity killed the cat, but secrets brought her back."
    2/2
    Aside from the fact that I'm not sure what a UW cat has to do with Undying, this seems REALLY overpowered.

Double card draw in MTG is typically given a cost of 3-4 if it has no downsides. It drops to 2 if you have to sacrifice something or discard a card.

This one? It's attached to an unkillable 2/2. Short of exiling it, this thing cannot be removed. That's bad design in and of itself (sure, there are combos that do the same thing, but not built into the same card). As written, this is possibly the best sacrifice outlet in the entire game, a reliable blocker, a reliable source of scrying, and a 2/2 on top of an only slightly more expensive draw 2.

Worse? Because you can remove a +1/+1 counter in response to any of the effects that WOULD kill this, it's all of these AT THE SAME TIME.

Definitely unprintable in the current incarnation.

Next Challenge; A Green or White Land Creature!
    Dormant Treefolk
    Land Creature -- Forest Treefolk (U)
    As long as Dormant Treefolk does not have an Awoken counter on it, ~ isn't a creature.
    Awaken 2GG: Put an Awoken counter on Dormant Treefolk.
    4/5

Challenge: Another card that serves multiple purposes.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

No reason not to have it as a single ability which makes it a creature indefinitely: "Dormant Treefolk becomes a 4/5 treefolk creature. It's still a land. (This effect lasts indefinitely)". Apart from that, it's okay, though a 4/5 for 4 is a little pushed.

We'll be Back {U}{P}
    Sorcery U
    Return target permanent to its owner's hand. If you controlled that creature, get a sigil that's a copy of it. (Sigils are like tokens but can be cast from the hand like cards. Permanent sigils become tokens when they enter play.)

Spoiler: Alternative
    Show
    True Creation {3}{U}{U}
    Sorcery R
    Name a card. If that card is a permanent card with converted mana cost four or less, create a token that's a copy of that card. (You must name a card that's legal in this format)
    Icarion knew well the names of the things of this world.

Next: Another card with colour weight equal to its converted mana cost (That is, a cost with no generic mana in).

28. - Top - End - #28

No reason not to have it as a single ability which makes it a creature indefinitely: "Dormant Treefolk becomes a 4/5 treefolk creature. It's still a land. (This effect lasts indefinitely)". Apart from that, it's okay, though a 4/5 for 4 is a little pushed.
    That was the original design, but I figured it might run into memory issues. Hence the change.

The push was based on Living Terrain, but I guess the fact that that's a 2-card combo that's subject to enchantment removal might merit the extra push.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

29. - Top - End - #29

We'll be Back {U}{P}
    Sorcery U
    Return target permanent to its owner's hand. If you controlled that creature, get a sigil that's a copy of it. (Sigils are like tokens but can be cast from the hand like cards. Permanent sigils become tokens when they enter play.)

Spoiler: Alternative
    Show
    True Creation {3}{U}{U}
    Sorcery R
    Name a card. If that card is a permanent card with converted mana cost four or less, create a token that's a copy of that card. (You must name a card that's legal in this format)
    Icarion knew well the names of the things of this world.

Next: Another card with colour weight equal to its converted mana cost (That is, a cost with no generic mana in).
    I'd say that having things in your hand that aren't cards isn't something that works well with the game's mechanics to be honest. I'd rather have it create a sigil in exile, which you can cast as though it was a card in your hand. Otherwise you get into weird situations with discarding sigils, and whether they're hidden information, etc etc. Costing is probably correct, although two-mana spells that can bounce lands are not printed any more. I'd say you'd do better to restrict it to a nonland permanent or a creature, but make it an instant.

True Creation seems interesting but extremely strong. I'm pretty sure there are some silly combos you can do with it, and it definitely works as a copy of all the combo pieces in the deck which is pretty strong. It's a card which has significant power against every deck in the format, since it can be a stabilization effect against aggro, a resilient threat like a planeswalker against control, and also a lock piece against combo. This card should also probably be Mythic, it's very splashy.

Triumphant Return - BWR
    Sorcery - Rare
    Return target permanent card from your graveyard to the battlefield. If it's a creature, it gains haste until end of turn.

Challenge: An instant or sorcery that gets counters (for examples, see Lightning Storm).

30. - Top - End - #30

OldWizardGuy

Overall, a nice little return from graveyard card, that has a similar cost, with the nice addition of being able to swing right away with a creature you call back, or activate it's ability.

Bloody Beckoning 2BR
    Instant R
    Target player creates X 2/2 black and red demon creature tokens with flying, where X is 3 plus the number of charge counters on ~
    Sacrifice a Creature- Place two charge counters on ~. You may choose a new target for it. Any player may activate this ability but only if ~ is on the stack.

Next Challenge; Something to do with angels... or devils. Bonus points for Heavens Devils.
    Last edited by Warmatt; 2017-02-15 at 07:27 PM.