Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MtG: YMTC challenge V: Familicide is a CMC 5 Black Sorcery

It's pretty good, though I worry that it might be too strong in standard, honestly - a 2/2 2-drop with potentially multiple abilities in generic seems kinda powerful. Then again, recent sets have given us a 4/4 for 2 with dubious downside so it's probably fine.

Dire Amalgam X
    Creature - Horror R
    When Dire Amalgam enters the battlefield, exile any number of creature cards from your hand with total converted mana cost X or less. Dire Amalgam's power is equal to those creatures' combined power, its toughness is equal to those creatures' combined toughness, it's all of those creatures' colours and it gains all of those creatures' abilities.
    */*

Next: Another card with a cost of X. Not just X in its cost: a cost of X.
    Like my homebrew? Donate to help me produce more!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    You know, it would be really meta if I sigged this.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

Dire Amalgam is interesting! Theoretically, it lets you cheat out some creature combos much more quickly than normal, as long as the individual creatures don't cost too much. It'll be fun to imagine what combinations can really break this thing, but actually printing it could get scary; the effect on your design space is practically unpredictable. Of course, if it only saw power and toughness, that would have its own problems because of those 1-mana 13/13's, so yours is still probably better than that.

Edit: For some reason, my brain skipped the word, 'total,' somewhere in there, which already makes it a lot harder to really break. In most decks it just leaves you down a card, but it's clearly supposed to be more specialized than that and is not made for limited, so... yes. It's good.

Jejune Hydra X
    Creature - Hydra R
    Jejune Hydra is Green.
    Jejune Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
    Jejune Hydra has Trample as long as you control a forest.
    0/0

Challenge! Make a spell that deals X damage. (What is X? You decide!)
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2018-04-03 at 04:45 PM.
    Natalie, Vena, Parker, Leolin, Four.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Jejune Hydra X
    Creature - Hydra R
    Jejune Hydra is Green.
    Jejune Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
    Jejune Hydra has Trample as long as you control a forest.
    0/0

Challenge! Make a spell that deals X damage. (What is X? You decide!)
    So, basically a better Endless One, not that Endless One was overpowered at all. The inherent greenness of this is a bit weird, though, even if this kind of thing has been done before.

Avenging Strike 2R
    Instant (U)
    Avenging Strike deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the amount of life you've lost this turn.

Challenge: Something that includes the number 1!
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2018-04-06 at 08:33 AM.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

I'm very concerned about people using abilities which allow them to pay life at will, and then using this card to win the moment they have more hit points than their opponent. This is particularly true because it has a very low colour weight, and lifelink is secondary in the same colour that can easily pay a lot of life very fast. This kind of effect should be limited to creatures, on which basis it could stand to cost just R, or maybe creatures and planeswalkers, on which basis it could cost 1R. Really, against players, it's a combo piece for a one-turn kill.

Light 2W
    Enchantment - R
    Creatures you control get +1/+1.
    (You can cast one half of this card. It can't flip).
    “I was never afraid of the dark, but terrified of the light.”

//
    The Sun 5RR
    Enchantment - R
    At the end of your turn, The Sun deals 3 damage to up to one target.
    “Now, you too can fear the sun rising.”

Next: Something else which showcases the new templating:
    - Under the new templating, anything that can damage creatures, players or planeswalkers no longer specifies this; it uses "any target" where appropriate. For example, "Lightning Bolt deals 3 damage to any target"
    - Anything which would previously use "he or she" uses "they". For example, "Target player puts the top 3 cards of their library into their graveyard".
    - Mana is now just added, not added to your mana pool. For example, "Add one mana of any color", "Add R."
    Like my homebrew? Donate to help me produce more!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    You know, it would be really meta if I sigged this.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Flavor seems...forced? I'm also not sure if that card would fit in a Flip card, considering two sets of flavor text and the new card templating adding twice the space separator for them. It's interesting that neither side is the bottom/moon, which makes this more similar to Split cards than Flip cards, so why not just format it that way?

Furthermore, templating should be At the beginning of your end step and I think damage to up to any one target. Or just make the second part you may have ~ deal 3 damage to any target

Mechanically, the modality might be more useful in commander, but Light itself should be fine in limited.

Residual Blast XXR
    Sorcery R
    ~ deals X damage to any target. Add C for each damage dealt this way.
    You may cast this spell from your graveyard if an opponent cast a spell during their last turn.

Features these new updates: "any target", "add (mana)", "their", and "this spell".

Make another card with any of the new templating or rules change as above, or a card featuring the "hexproof from (qualifier)" ability update. Bonus for both.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2018-04-14 at 05:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Flavor seems...forced? I'm also not sure if that card would fit in a Flip card, considering two sets of flavor text and the new card templating adding twice the space separator for them. It's interesting that neither side is the bottom/moon, which makes this more similar to Split cards than Flip cards, so why not just format it that way?

Furthermore, templating should be At the beginning of your end step and I think damage to up to any one target. Or just make the second part you may have ~ deal 3 damage to any target

Mechanically, the modality might be more useful in commander, but Light itself should be fine in limited.

Residual Blast XXR
    Sorcery R
    ~ deals X damage to any target. Add C for each damage dealt this way.
    You may cast this spell from your graveyard if an opponent cast a spell during their last turn.

Features these new updates: "any target", "add (mana)", "their", and "this spell".

Make another card with any of the new templating or rules change as above, or a card featuring the "hexproof from (qualifier)" ability update. Bonus for both.
    This feels... weird. The effect seems kind of weak, with 5 mana up-front for a Shock, but a repeatable damage spell is almost always worth considering, especially one you could cast multiple times in one turn.

Blood Money 1RR
    Enchantment (R)
    Whenever an opponent is dealt damage, add R equal to the amount of damage dealt this way. Until end of turn, this mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end.

Challenge: A rare or mythic rare with less than 10 words of rule text!