The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: MtG: YMTC challenge V: Familicide is a CMC 5 Black Sorcery

Quote Originally Posted by LastCenturion View Post
    Cursed Blade - 3
    Artifact - Equipment - R
    Equipped creature has +3/+1
    Creatures blocking or blocked by equipped creature have indestructible.
    Equip 2
    FYI this doesn't stop much unless the other creature would die to first strike, since the creature will still have damage marked on it until the end of the turn, and loses indestructible at the end of combat and so would die at that point.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

I was thinking, "Whoa, what?" until I realized that you have to pay a total of 6 mana minimum to get the first two spirits. Still, surely you could just as well make the district be a land itself, right? If it's an artifact that has to move from place to place, why not just give the ability to the artifact? Such is a general problem with fortifications; I can't fault you too much for the mechanics that were handed to you. I'm probably most bothered by the fact that it can make ghosts without any actual culling. I guess it's really just a heavily haunted set of drapes or something.

Academy Champion UR
    An excited student in a red and blue cheerleader uniform.
    Creature - Human Wizard R
    Haste, Prowess
    X, T: Draw X cards, then discard X cards.
    2/2

Challenge! Make a hat and/or someone who wears a hat!
    Leo, Ajax, Deshy, Cutty, Erica.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Academy Champion UR
    An excited student in a red and blue cheerleader uniform.
    Creature - Human Wizard R
    Haste, Prowess
    X, T: Draw X cards, then discard X cards.
    2/2
    It's probably too good as it is, but I like it as a late-game mana sink. It could probably do with a little bit of rebalancing, and maybe a drop to P/T a little, but as is it's pretty good.

Challenge! Make a hat and/or someone who wears a hat!
    Party Hat - 4
    Artifact - Equipment - X (un-set)
    Equipped creature has Indestructible.
    Whenever equipped creature changes (taps, untaps, attacks, blocks, etc), target opponent must say "Party Hard 420 Blaze It" or lose the game. (saying it in other languages counts)
    "Yee" - Everybody, at some point

I may have been reading /r/TheBookOfRad too much...

Challenge: A French Vanilla (keywords only) sorcery or instant.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    Nehra, inventor

4. - Top - End - #94

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LastCenturion View Post
    Party Hat - 4
    Artifact - Equipment - X (un-set)
    Equipped creature has Indestructible.
    Whenever equipped creature changes (taps, untaps, attacks, blocks, etc), target opponent must say "Party Hard 420 Blaze It" or lose the game. (saying it in other languages counts)
    "Yee" - Everybody, at some point

Challenge: A French Vanilla (keywords only) sorcery or instant.
    Well, it's missing an equip cost, but I think no matter what that cost is, this card would get old pretty quickly and be more annoying than funny, especially when you have it triggering potentially 3 times a turn (untap, tap, attack). Plus, missing one trigger and losing the game instantly is definitely no fun; maybe change it to 1 or 2 damage or something similar.

Upgraded Arms- 3WW
    Sorcery- U
    Support 5 (Put a +1/+1 counter on each of up to 5 other target creatures.)
    Proliferate. (You choose any number of permanents and/or players with counters on them, then give each another counter of a kind already there.)

Create an Azorius card! (Specifically from the guild, not just the color combination)
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2017-02-27 at 12:05 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Upgraded Arms- 3WW
    Sorcery- U
    Support 5 (Put a +1/+1 counter on each of up to 5 other target creatures.)
    Proliferate. (You choose any number of permanents and/or players with counters on them, then give each another counter of a kind already there.)

Create an Azorius card! (Specifically from the guild, not just the color combination)
    Pretty good bomb for uncommon (half a Decree of Savagery), but requires you to have a board state. +2/+2 to all your guys is a big enough buff that this might want to be a GW card instead - Green is normally the colour of persistent, large pump effects like this. Proliferate flavorfully is a bit odd here, but that can be managed by set mechanics I suppose.

Azorius Confluence - 1UW
    Sorcery - Rare

Choose two. You may choose the same option more than once.
    - Detain up to two target creatures.
    - Return target artifact or enchantment to its owner's hand.
    - Draw a card.
    - Create a 1/1 blue and white Bird creature token with flying.

Challenge: Another Confluence (a modal instant or sorcery where you can choose the same option more than once). Alternatively, a Dimir creature.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    Pretty good bomb for uncommon (half a Decree of Savagery), but requires you to have a board state. +2/+2 to all your guys is a big enough buff that this might want to be a GW card instead - Green is normally the colour of persistent, large pump effects like this. Proliferate flavorfully is a bit odd here, but that can be managed by set mechanics I suppose.

Azorius Confluence - 1UW
    Sorcery - Rare

- Detain up to two target creatures.
    - Return target artifact or enchantment to its owner's hand.
    - Draw a card.
    - Create a 1/1 blue and white Bird creature token with flying.

Challenge: Another Confluence (a modal instant or sorcery where you can choose the same option more than once). Alternatively, a Dimir creature.
    I think this might be a tad too strong. All of the options are strong - normally, you give up power for flexibility in modal cards, but this doesn't seem to. Detain two costs 2 (though admittedly the existing card is probably overpriced), bounce costs 1-2, drawing a card costs 1-2, a 1/1 flier costs 1. Getting 3-4 mana and two cards of effect on a 3 mana modal card is probably too much.

Dimir Confluence 2UB
    Instant - R
    - Counter target spell unless its owner pays 3.
    - Destroy target creature with converted mana cost 2 or less.
    - Target opponent puts the top six cards of their library into their graveyard.
    - Tap or untap up to two target permanents.

Challenge: Another modal card, or another instant with CMC > 3.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2017-02-27 at 11:32 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Banned

So, the third option will probably never be used. Also, unfortunately, Magic still uses "His or her" to refer to players (or "That player's", which I use if able). The fourth option will probably only be used to achieve the equivalent of the second. Take those off and you have a combination of mana leak and defeat, or mana leak and mana leak, or defeat and defeat. Interestingly, mana leak is already an option on mystic confluence, but mana leak and mana leak seems a lot less likely than mana leak and defeat or defeat and defeat. Having the option to mill in an emergency or tap or untap creatures when needed makes this powerful when even the first two options would easily be enough on their own.

Choose your Champion UG
    Sorcery - U
    Target opponent may have you take control of a creature of that player's choice that player controls. If that player doesn't, create a 3/3 green human soldier creature token with reach.

Spoiler: Another card in the cycle
    Show
    Choose your Death BR
    Sorcery - U
    Target opponent may have Choose your Death deal 5 damage to target creature that player controls. If that player doesn't, Choose your Death deals 5 damage to that player.

Next: Another 2-mana 2-colour sorcery that allows an opponent a choice with a name starting with "Choose your".

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Quick note@critique
    Show
    Just in case it was a mistake, note that Dimir Confluence's removal mode is based on CMC, not power. It's more comparable to a more narrow Smother that doesn't stop regen.

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Choose your Champion UG
    Sorcery - U
    Target opponent may have you take control of a creature of that player's choice that player controls. If that player doesn't, create a 3/3 green human soldier creature token with reach.

Next: Another 2-mana 2-colour sorcery that allows an opponent a choice with a name starting with "Choose your".
    The rules interactions here are probably too complex for uncommon. It's probably balanced, though - it's never better than a two-mana 3/3, and Fleecemane Lion and Watchwolf were never overpowered and this is pretty much just worse (though reach is nice, even if it doesn't make much sense). I don't think this will often have the opponent give you any of their stuff, since they'd be 2-for-1ing themselves, unless they have some creatures that are completely outclassed on the board.

Choose your Destiny GW
    Sorcery - R

Target opponent chooses one:
    - You gain 8 life. Creature can't attack you until your next turn.
    - You create a 2/2 white Knight creature token with Vigilance. Your opponents can't cast noncreature spells until your next turn.

Challenge: A creature which stops being a creature somehow.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

This is pretty nuts in certain multiplayer formats, since both modes are incredibly strong against certain decks. In 1v1, though, you'll never get the right effect in the right match up this is at best okay. The best case, I think, is playing this against some aggressive deck with a lot of sorcery speed burn. The first option is obviously strong in keeping you alive, but the second sometimes prevents them from playing out their burn for a turn. Most other cases are mediocre to bad, so this is firmly stuck as sideboard material, but maybe that's not a bad thing.

So, the obvious choice would be turning the creature into a different type of permanent, but I'm going to try something more interesting:

Boltweave Weird (U/R)
    Creature - Weird R
    You may cast ~ from the battlefield. If you do, it is a sorcery with "Deal 3 damage to target creature or player".
    1/1

I'm pretty sure this works, and triggers "whenever you cast an instant or sorcery" effects.

Challenge: Another weird card. Or, another useful 1/1 for 1.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2017-02-27 at 12:49 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Banned

It should just be R: monoblue lightning bolts aren't okay. It's okay on power - being a sorcery and costing 2 is fine, and the former means you can't block and leave to stop a creature dealing its damage to anything at all.

Blossomguard Warden G
    Creature - Elf Soldier U
    When Bloomguard Warden dies, Bloom (Put a blossom counter on you, then create a 0/0 green plant creature token with a +1/+1 counter on it for each blossom counter on you).
    1/1

Spoiler: Similar Cards
    Show
    Bounty of the Blossomguard 2G
    Sorcery U
    Search your library for a basic forest card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Bloom (Put a blossom counter on you, then create a 0/0 green plant creature token with a +1/+1 counter on it for each blossom counter on you).

Flower Dance 1G
    Sorcery C
    Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. Bloom. (Put a blossom counter on you, then create a 0/0 green plant creature token with a +1/+1 counter on it for each blossom counter on you).

Storm of Leaves 3G
    Sorcery U
    Storm of Leaves deals 4 damage to each creature with flying. Bloom (Put a blossom counter on you, then create a 0/0 green plant creature token with a +1/+1 counter on it for each blossom counter on you).

I'd try to keep it so that you wouldn't have much choice if you wanted to make a deck full of these cards, to keep the mechanic from getting out of control.

Next: Another green card.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2017-02-27 at 03:32 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Blossomguard Warden G
    Creature - Elf Soldier U
    When Bloomguard Warden dies, Bloom (Put a blossom counter on you, then create a 0/0 green plant creature token with a +1/+1 counter on it for each blossom counter on you).
    1/1

Next: Another green card.
    I quite like this mechanic and the card itself. Not the most deep mechanic, but certainly something that would be a nice reward for playing mono-Green for a set (assuming that Bloom would be a mono-G ability). The card is okay early game, and can be pretty good late game, too, when you've got a few Blooms on you.

Follower of Strength GG
    Creature - Elephant Warrior (R)
    You may only cast Follower of Strength if you control a creature with the highest power or tied for the highest power.
    Whenever a creature with the highest power or that is tied for the highest power enters the battlefield, that creature's controller gains control of Follower of Strength.
    4/4

Another card that can only be cast under certain conditions!
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2017-02-27 at 05:28 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Follower of Strength GG
    Creature - Elephant Warrior (R)
    You may only cast Follower of Strength if you control a creature with the highest power or tied for the highest power.
    Whenever a creature with the highest power or that is tied for the highest power enters the battlefield, that creature's controller gains control of Follower of Strength.
    4/4

Another card that can only be cast under certain conditions!
    I'm not sure I like the "win more" aspect of this card. In green (and especially in a deck running this) you're usually likely to have the biggest, baddest guy on the field, making the downside to Follower of Strength not particularly important and effectively making it a 4/4 for GG.

That said, that might honestly be fine. It seems to sit on the edge of what I'd call balanced, so I'm hesitant to say it's a no-go. Would be one I'd want to test extensively though.

-------------------

Greenthumb Elemental -- 3GG
    Creature -- Elemental [Rare]
    You may only cast Greenthumb Elemental if you have 2 or more Blossom counters.
    At the beginning of your upkeep, Bloom (Put a blossom counter on you, then create a 0/0 green plant creature token with a +1/+1 counter on it for each blossom counter on you).
    Garden, tend thyself!
    0/3

What can I say? I liked the Bloom mechanic.

-------------------

Challenge: Another card that puts counters of some sort on a permanent or game space (like a player) that is not itself.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2017-02-27 at 05:44 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Banned

I don't think that any card should allow you to bloom more than a fixed number of times without some kind of recursion effect. Suppose you played each of the bloom cards I made on curve up to turn 3, and then a turn 4 Greenthumb Elemental. Unless your opponent had a way to remove it, that card would, in and of itself, give you on-curve creatures to last you the rest of the game. A card that bloomed more than once would have to look something like...

Belinda of the Blossomguard 3GGG
    Legendary creature - Elf Druid R
    When Belinda of the Blossomguard enters or leaves the battlefield, Bloom (Put a blossom counter on yourself, then create a 0/0 green plant creature token, with a +1/+1 counter for each blossom conuter on you)
    4/4

I added the grammatically dodgy comma, in case you're wondering, to make clear that it's a single 0/0 and that the +1/+1 counters are for each blossom counter on you.

Next: Another creature which creates 0/0 tokens.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Don't worry, I get what Bloom is doing. I mean, this is exactly Aya Blackpaw from Hearthstone. I really do like the flavor you put on this version of the mechanic, though. Go get 'em, giant flower army!

Also, Belinda is an amazing commander because of the way she self-scales. Nice!

Gooey Kablooie 2G
    Instant - U
    Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a nonland card. Create a 0/0 Ooze creature token with X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is that card's converted mana cost. Then shuffle your library.

Challenge! A viking-themed card!
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2017-02-28 at 12:15 AM.
    Leo, Ajax, Deshy, Cutty, Erica.

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Gooey Kablooie 2G
    Instant - U
    Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a nonland card. Create a 0/0 Ooze creature token with X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is that card's converted mana cost. Then shuffle your library.

Challenge! A viking-themed card!
    I think three mana is about the right cost for this effect, since most of the time in Limited three is about your average mana cost, an an expected result of approximately a 3/3 with Flash is probably about right. Naturally you want to play this in a ramp deck with more big things to slam, but even hitting a 4-drop off this card seems just fine. Guys with Flash are really strong in Limited, particularly if they're good blockers. Gets moderately worse in an environment with a lot of 3/2s, but probably still fine (and hitting a 4-drop is excellent). It does kind of suck that you have to shuffle away the card you revealed though - You might be able to have it instead say 'then put all lands you revealed on the bottom of your library. You may shuffle your library' to give the caster the option of keeping their card if they want it.

Wotan, the Wanderer - 3BB
    Legendary Enchantment Creature - God

As long as no creatures have died this turn, Wotan the Wanderer isn't a creature.

Indestructible
    At the beginning of each end step, if you lost 2 or more life this turn, draw a card.

6/4

Challenge: A removal spell that doesn't use the words "damage", "destroy" or "exile".

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I can't really judge the flavor, but mechanically, this seems kind of weird. I think his ideal deck is a hard control deck full of removal, where you keep the opponent's board completely clear, and just hit them with this while drawing into more removal via Greed or the like (plus some lifegain somewhere, maybe something like Corrupt). Then you hit them in the face with this four times and win. At the same time, a 6/4 indestructible isn't huge for a 5 mana card with hoops to jump through - there's probably better finishers in that deck. I think it's best as a Commander, where games are slow and your starting life is high enough to make really good use of the value engine. Basically, it's got a good amount of raw power, with some nifty interaction, but it's just kinda weird in how you actually use it.

Scatterbrain UB
    Instant - R
    Choose one:
    - Return target creature to its owner's hand.
    - Target opponent reveal their hand. You choose a nonland card from it. That player discards that card.
    Entwine 1

Challenge: Another card with options. Or, another 2 mana, 2 color card. Bonus points for both.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2017-02-28 at 11:20 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2go View Post
    Scatterbrain UB
    Instant - R
    Choose one:
    - Return target creature to its owner's hand.
    - Target opponent reveal their hand. You choose a nonland card from it. That player discards that card.
    Entwine 1
    Recoil is one of my favourite cards, and an excellent example of good gold card design - a distinctive ability of each colour brought together to do something neither colour can do separately. This isn't quite strictly better (Recoil can hit permanents), but it's close to being so and I'd say it's a stronger card overall due to its versatility and the effectiveness of the discard. I feel like Entwine is clutter here since it's so cheap that you'd never want to play the bounce effect without it, so it just serves to give you even more versatility by letting you play the discard effect on its own if that suits your board position better - i.e. you don't have a bounce target. I'd much prefer it to be more cleanly executed as a straight 1UB: bounce and discard. I also feel it's inelegant to have the bounce just target creatures, but then the discard can hit any non-land card. In short, it's a potent remake of a classic card, but probably too good and the design could be cleaned up.

Boros Battlemage (R/W)(R/W)
    Creature - Human Wizard U
    2R, T: ~ deals 2 damage to target creature.
    2W, T: prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to target creature.
    2/2

Challenge: another Ravnica card. Guild affiliation isn't mandatory.
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

19. - Top - End - #109

Critique
    Everything about it screams the number "2", and I like that about it. Plus, Boros is my favorite Ravnica group (followed by Selesnya). As far as I can tell (note: I am pretty bad at this), it is balanced. The parallels between its red ability and its white ability are also pretty neat: deal 2 damage vs prevent 2 damage. It seems like the right kind of contrast and conflict that fits within the flavor of the Boros guild. It has the same cost (and power & toughness) as the Boros Guildmage card, which is also a Human Wizard. So, it seems about right compared to that one. The differences between the Boros Guildmage and your Boros Battlemage are the abilities. Honestly, I think it would synergize pretty well and be neat overall. I like it as a card.

Challenge Met
    Spring Charmer {3}{G}{G}
    Creature - Dryad Shaman (U)
    {2}{G}{W}, {tap}: Populate (Create a token that's a copy of a creature token you control.)
    {tap}: Add {G} to your mana pool.
    3/3
    Spoiler: Created using CardSmith
    Show

New Challenge: Make a card inspired by yourself, or based off of yourself. Bonus points if it's also a Ravnica card, 'cause that would make 3 in a row (tic-tac-toe!)
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2017-03-05 at 03:09 AM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    Spring Charmer {3}{G}{G}
    Creature - Dryad Shaman (U)
    {2}{G}{W}, {tap}: Populate (Create a token that's a copy of a creature token you control.)
    {tap}: Add {G} to your mana pool.
    3/3
    Spoiler: Created using CardSmith
    Show

I like it as a bomb in limited and I don't think it would affect Modern very much, but it's a little clunky to use in Standard. It avoids the pitfalls of being really powerful like a lot of cards here, but that's good. It also very neatly fits into the flavor and guild allegiance.

New Challenge: Make a card inspired by yourself, or based off of yourself. Bonus points if it's also a Ravnica card, 'cause that would make 3 in a row (tic-tac-toe!)
    Centurion - RW
    Creature - Human Warrior - U
    Other Red and White creatures you control get +1/+1 and Haste.
    1/3

Challenge: Keep the guilds going, this time with a 0 toughness creature.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    Nehra, inventor

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

It... is what it is I suppose? It's a very Boros effect that a R/W deck will happily run with. Good body. Solid tier uncommon. Nothing really much to say.

Biomancy Ooze UG
    Creature - Ooze U
    Graft 2
    Whenever a +1/+1 counter is removed from ~, add U or G to your mana pool.
    0/0

Challenge: Something else that gives mana in an unusual way.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

22. - Top - End - #112

MiniMorph: You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its minimorph cost and put a -1/-1 counter on it.

Notes: Cards with minimorph will always also have morph or megamorph. Allowing is controller to play it face down for 3 and then have the choice of how much mana to spend turning it face up.

Avian Guardian 2WW

Creature Bird Soldier U
    Flying
    Minimorph 2W (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its minimorph cost and put a -1/-1 counter on it.)
    Morph 3W (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)
    When Aven Liberator is turned face up, target creature you control gains protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.
    2/3

23. - Top - End - #113
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by somethingrandom View Post
    MiniMorph: You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its minimorph cost and put a -1/-1 counter on it.

Notes: Cards with minimorph will always also have morph or megamorph. Allowing is controller to play it face down for 3 and then have the choice of how much mana to spend turning it face up.

Avian Guardian 2WW

Creature Bird Soldier U
    Flying
    Minimorph 2W (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its minimorph cost and put a -1/-1 counter on it.)
    Morph 3W (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)
    When Aven Liberator is turned face up, target creature you control gains protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.
    2/3
    I think you posted in the wrong YMTC thread, since you didn't critique or give a challenge.

Biomancy Ooze- I'd like to see this as a 0/1 base, since right now it's basically mana storage/light mana fixing on a killable body. It looks like something that would be ok in limited, but without some build-around-y stuff (which admittedly Simic has) there are better cards to run.

Avian Guardian- Morph is already problematic from a design point of view, and minimorph is so limiting that I don't think that there would be enough for a set. Other than that, the morph cost being pretty much the same as the casting cost is weird. I see no reason to morph this.

Obliterate 1WB
    Instant- C
    Exile target creature. It's controller loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.

Challenge- something sparkly.

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Banned

Exile effects that are that cheap aren't common and have drawbacks, not extra benefits. If it said destroy then I might have a little more truck with it.

Shining Defiance 2W
    Instant - U
    Shining Defiance deals 1 damage to each attacking creature.
    Standalone - If you control no creatures, Shining Defiance deals 3 damage to each attacking creature instead.

Next: Another card which rewards creatureless tactics.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler: re: critique
    Show
    Thought I put destroy. Oops.

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    I think you posted in the wrong YMTC thread, since you didn't critique or give a challenge.
    You are right I did.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

It's probably fine - if you get the Standalone effect, it's about the same as a 3 damage wipe (e.g. Anger of the Gods). Having it in white is a significant upside, not hitting utility creatures that don't attack is a significant downside. It'd definitely shape the meta, but not in a game-breaking way.

However, I'm not sure I like Standalone being used like this. In previous Standalone cards, you often encouraged having exactly one creature on the board, not none - and there's a big difference between single creature strategies, and creatureless strategies.

Soul Rupture 2BB
    Sorcery - R
    Destroy all creatures. For each creature destroyed this way, you lose 1 life.

I think strictly worse damnation could still be playable...

Challenge: Another card that's strictly worse than another. Or, a low-cost instant. Bonus points for both.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's definitely playable, and quite powerful. The comparison that jumps to mind is Toxic Deluge, except the life cost scales based on the number of creatures destroyed rather than their size. That makes it quite weak in commander, where the board is usually very cluttered. But in standard and limited, this is a powerhouse. At 4 mana, this can easily come down on turn 4 and kill two or three of the opponent's creatures, putting you significantly ahead, and the life cost for doing so is pretty minimal. It's worse than the normal boardwipes at clearing a cluttered board later in the game, and that might be a good enough trade-off to allow another 4-mana boardwipe, which is something that Wizards has been moving away from.

Temporal Repositioning 1U
    Sorcery (C)
    Untap all creatures you control. Draw a card.

(Okay, strictly worse than Time Walk isn't saying much, but it counts, right?)

Next: A modal spell.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

29. - Top - End - #119

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Temporal Repositioning 1U
    Sorcery (C)
    Untap all creatures you control. Draw a card.

(Okay, strictly worse than Time Walk isn't saying much, but it counts, right?)

Next: A modal spell.
    Objectively speaking, this makes sense in blue, which gets untapping stuff, but it feels a bit... weird, because it's kind of pseudo-vigilance. I like the card, though: nice synergy with creatures that blue often gets that tap for a benefit, and it seems well costed.

Abzan Sandshape- WBG
    Sorcery (U)
    Choose one:
    • Create two 1/1 black Insect creature tokens with deathtouch
    • Create a 2/2 white Bird creature token with flying and lifelink
    • Create a 4/4 green Rhino creature token with trample.

Challenge: Make a card that does something with lands!
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2017-03-06 at 09:20 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

It feels mediocre, but then again, the 1/1 insect is a lot like "destroy target attacking creature", and the other two are not bad considering they basically have flash. It'd be a house in limited. I like it!

Edit: Ninja edit'd. The new one is stronger and more pushed - that's not exactly a bad thing, but I like it less, especially since it's more straightforward now at sorcery speed.

Volcanic Invocation 1R
    Instant - U
    Target mountain becomes a 3/3 creature with first strike and trample until end of turn. It's still a land.

I think this should be about as good as Elemental Uprising...

Challenge: Another combat trick. Or, another card you'd want to play during your precombat main phase more than your postcombat main phase. Bonus points for both.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2017-03-06 at 10:07 PM.