New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Default 4 Arms, a crossbow and a greatsword

Hey guys! I was playing with my character in a campaign and I got this situation:

Me and my party were fighting a Girallon. A cleric in my party cast Girallon's Blessing on me. With my additional pair of arms I grabbed both my heavy crossbow and my greatsword and started attacking the Girallon. Crossbows, though, need to be reloaded.

So my doubts are:
    1st: Can I draw both the crossbow and the greatsword with a single move action? I had BAB > 1
    2nd: Can I attack with both weapons in the same round if I do not have enough BAB for extra attacks? I'd guess there would be penalties if I could, but would they be the TWF ones?
    3rd: Can I reload the crossbow and still attack with the greatsword? (Even if this would cause an AoO)
    4th: If the other weapon as another greatsword instead of a the crossbow, would the above still apply?
    Last edited by bootzin; 2017-02-15 at 02:30 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 4 Arms, a crossbow and a greatsword

1) No. You can only draw multiple weapons as one action if the weapons are light or one handed and you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. PHB, p. 142.
    2) I don't see why you couldn't TWF with a greatsword and a crossbow, but the penalties would be murderous.
    3) Reloading a heavy crossbow is a normally full-round action, so you can't also attack that round (barring some source of extra actions). If you have Rapid Reload (heavy crossbow), it's only a move action to reload, so you could make a standard attack the same round.
    4) 1 and 2 wouldn't change if you were dual-wielding greatswords; 3 wouldn't be applicable.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I believe if you have 4 arms, you need to take the Multiweapon Fighting feat rather than TWF.

Quote Originally Posted by Multiweapon Fighting
    Special
    This feat replaces the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for creatures with more than two arms.
    Never mind, I didn't read that this was a temporary condition.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    1) No. You can only draw multiple weapons as one action if the weapons are light or one handed and you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. PHB, p. 142.
    You could combine drawing a two-handed weapon (or the crossbow) with a move action if your BAB is +1. But yeah, to draw two weapons with TWF, they'd need to be light or one-handed.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    2) I don't see why you couldn't TWF with a greatsword and a crossbow, but the penalties would be murderous.
    -6 attack penalty on the primary (I'm assuming greatsword) and -10 penalty on the offhand (heavy crossbow).

If you have TWF/MWF (TWF switches MWF as soon as you have three or more hands), the penalties would be -4 primary/-4 offhand.

If your offhand weapon is light (and a heavy crossbow is not) then it'd be -2 primary/-2 offhand.