New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default finding an old video game

I have a memory of an old game. Probably from the Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis era, but maybe a Nintendo game, or one of those early CD-using systems that weren't really popular but existed around the same time.

It was a strategy RPG, akin to Shining Force in that you have characters on a grid-based map and move them around, menu-based to choose who to fight and such.

The opening scene is a castle besieged. I forget if you actually play the fight or it's just a 'cut scene', but the crown prince (the protagonist?) is told to retreat and save himself while the troops make a last stand to buy him time. I think one of the soldiers telling you to flee is a centaur, maybe?

It is also possible, though I think rather unlikely, that I dreamt up that scenario and it's not a real game. But if that rings any bells for anyone and you can point out the title, please do. I"m curious to try to find a plot summary or a Youtube play-through.

EDIT: I'm in the USA, so it was something for sale here and in English.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-06-04 at 09:03 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: finding an old video game

Easy: It's Warsong, originally named Langrisser in Japan. Here's a wiki:
    Warsong wiki.
    And a longplay (14hrs long!):
    Warsong longplay.
    One of my favorite series of all time! :D
    "Stop talking." - Roy
    Surprised Champion Predictor of the Rastakhan Rumble's Card Rating Competition in the Playground - "I could predict pretty much anything, besides winning this competition!" - Myself, probably

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Seconded. Langrisser (Warsong) is amazing. Right up their with Ogre Battle.

Maybe someone else could help me find a different old game?

I think it was a Sega game. It was primarily a splitscreen PvP, I think, and you each piloted a ship in a top-down view. You built bases, shot at each other, created minions, and such. It was as combination of an action shooter with RTS elements, although it had a high difficulty curve and was hard to get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by heronbpv View Post
    Easy: It's Warsong, originally named Langrisser in Japan. Here's a wiki:
    Warsong wiki.
    And a longplay (14hrs long!):
    Warsong longplay.
    One of my favorite series of all time! :D
    Yep. That's it. Thanks.
    I wonder who I thought was a centaur. I guess I probably rented it from Blockbuster (or similar) for a weekend or a friend did, since I recall so little about it.

And thanks for the playthrough. Though it was sad (if tactically sensical) to see the mermaids get mowed down by archers in the first round of combat they show.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Seconded. Langrisser (Warsong) is amazing. Right up their with Ogre Battle.
    I have yet to play the original, but Langrisser 2 and it's remake Der Langrisser have eaten way too much of my time. That promotion tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Maybe someone else could help me find a different old game?

I think it was a Sega game. It was primarily a splitscreen PvP, I think, and you each piloted a ship in a top-down view. You built bases, shot at each other, created minions, and such. It was as combination of an action shooter with RTS elements, although it had a high difficulty curve and was hard to get into.
    Herzog Zwei?
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alent View Post
    Herzog Zwei?
    Hah! I knew The Playground wouldn't let me down! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alent View Post
    I have yet to play the original, but Langrisser 2 and it's remake Der Langrisser have eaten way too much of my time. That promotion tree.
    And if you start using rune stones, then...
    Oh god, the monstrosity! Is this Civ?
    "Stop talking." - Roy
    Surprised Champion Predictor of the Rastakhan Rumble's Card Rating Competition in the Playground - "I could predict pretty much anything, besides winning this competition!" - Myself, probably