New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Path of Exile 3.0

I liked Path of Exile back when it was relatively new, but got bored at Act 2 (at least I think Act 2, the second 'town' you get to as a base of operations). The plot seemed dry by that time, and the necessity of good AoE to cover mobs felt tiresome. Did anything change in the latest editions, or seem likely to change with this new version, that would make me probably like it more?

Also, any strong pet classes?
    I loved playing a druid in Diablo II, since my pets were basically a walking AoE that took care of most everything around me. I had a few summons the last time I played Path of Exile, but they weren't worthwhile enough to make them my main focus and I still had to focus on my character's direct damage-dealing.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Path of Exile 3.0

Well you could go Necromancer and summon zombies/skeletons/wraiths...
    also you can animate weapons or an invisible avatar and give him gear...
    or you can summon totems, but they don't move...
    you can also have a powerful golem (various different elemental types)
    who is strong on his own, and he also buffs you. (but you can only have one at a time)

Or you can get a pet from the store... but they are just for looks.

There is quite a bit of lore now, you just have to read everything,and talk to all the NPC's.
    Currently we have 4 acts... but soon there will be 10 !!! And it looks like a lot more lore/plot as well.

Ps. this will give you a general idea of what kind of characters you can build now http://poeplanner.com/
    Last edited by N810; 2017-02-23 at 03:14 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Path of Exile 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Yeah. The main reason I wait so long is my computer handles boss fights very poorly. Izaro in particular lags me for 1-2 seconds every time he launches his big attacks, which leads to many deaths and much salt. So I put it off for as long as I can. However, Act 4 is a big difficulty spike with a good many deadly bosses and mini-bosses, culminating in the Malachai fight which is basically a slide-show for me. So I find I need the power boost right about then on most builds.
    Take solace in the fact that you're better off than I was trying to start this game in Perandus league. Malachi on the computer I had at the time wasn't so much a slideshow as dying instantly on entering the area.

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I liked Path of Exile back when it was relatively new, but got bored at Act 2 (at least I think Act 2, the second 'town' you get to as a base of operations). The plot seemed dry by that time, and the necessity of good AoE to cover mobs felt tiresome. Did anything change in the latest editions, or seem likely to change with this new version, that would make me probably like it more?

Also, any strong pet classes?
    I loved playing a druid in Diablo II, since my pets were basically a walking AoE that took care of most everything around me. I had a few summons the last time I played Path of Exile, but they weren't worthwhile enough to make them my main focus and I still had to focus on my character's direct damage-dealing.
    Pets are definitely viable as a main build focus. Necromancers as basically walking aura-bots with an army of zombies and spectres have been a staple for awhile, and the new golem jewels are kind of rare and expensive to buy off other players but let you make a build based around those. Leveling with pets is annoying, though that's what Summon Raging Spirits is for - the flaming skulls don't last long so it's more like a homing direct attack, but they scale off all of the minion damage and whatnot that you'll use later.

But I don't think they've announced anything to speed up the slow pace of the early game with 3.0, since all of the new content comes after what is currently the entire Normal difficulty (Act 1-4). I think it's still Path of Exile's worst flaw that the first few hours on each character are so tedious, because you don't get all your gems and 4-link gear with decent stats until mid Act 4. The game really does start picking up at that point, but it takes me several hours to get there and I move quite a bit faster than the average new player.

If you'd like to start it up again, I'm available most of the time. My Steam name is the same as here.

Speaking of builds, anybody else going to play Legacy League before 3.0 hits? I've been meaning to try an Ice Shot archer and something like this Arc build with Mind over Matter, and both of those are getting buffed in 2.6.0. Going to have to wait and see exactly what the passive tree changes are, of course.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Path of Exile 3.0 (the other Diablo clone)

While true, look at it from a new player's prespective.

The passive tree is daunting enough as it is, had you had to start dealing with linked gems and heavy crafting and whatnot from the very beggining of the game-it would be impossible to approach.

Yes, for the guys who played a few times the first run is practically a chore, but we are also MUCH faster at it, because we know what we can/cant do, know what we are facing in advance and n general are better prepared. we don't waste time on useless quests, we don't waste time on needless farming (because we understand the leveling system), we don't waste time on useless item collection and limit ourselves to only pick the very best-making selling trips less often.

The game cannot afford to have too much pile up too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

5. - Top - End - #35

d6 Re: Path of Exile 3.0 (the other Diablo clone)

Well it's Friday.
    so I was thinking of a fun lite topic:

What's everybody's favorite gem combo ?

Example: Wild strike + Elemental prolifreation

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Wild strike is about to change in 2.6, so you might like it better (its gonna be 100% elemental damage), so you might like it a whole lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

7. - Top - End - #37

I'm already feeling some of the pain, as it seem high levels now have built in negative modifiers to your resistances. :(

on the other hand my sword/elemental build will be getting better.
    Last edited by N810; 2017-02-24 at 03:48 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by N810 View Post
    What's everybody's favorite gem combo ?
    Ice Shot explodes on every enemy hit, even if it pierces or chains, so I'm planning a build using Ice Shot + Chain + Deadeye ascendancy class for area clear. Lightning Arrow probably has better clear speed but it's just not as satisfying to use.

I'm also a fan of the automation options in this game:

• Cast When Damage Taken + Immortal Call to make taking big hits a little less scary, buffs to keep them up, and/or golems to resummon them when they inevitably die.
    • Curse on Hit + Leap Slam/Shield Charge + curse or Blasphemy + curse for automatic cursing.
    • Orb of Storms + Curse on Hit or Power Charge on Crit, especially if you're using a lightning skill as your primary attack.
    • Spell Totem + Wither + Faster Casting (+ Increased Duration) to scale chaos damage.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

9. - Top - End - #39

Speaking of builds, anybody else going to play Legacy League before 3.0 hits? I've been meaning to try an Ice Shot archer and something like this Arc build with Mind over Matter, and both of those are getting buffed in 2.6.0. Going to have to wait and see exactly what the passive tree changes are, of course
    Oh yes, I generally always spend quite some time playing PoE when each new league hits. I've grown to dislike Standard - mostly because I can't be bothered to organize the horrible mess that my standard stash has become.

I don't really know about builds. I don't think I'm completely done with Cast While Channeling, my new favourite support gem. I read about someone playing Flameblast -> Vortex with CwCh, which sounds like it might be good fun. I also haven't really played with either of those skills before, so that's a plus too.

I almost always end up making some kind of Bow Ranger eventually, just because they are so simple and fun to play (at least at the very unoptimized level I'm playing at).

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

So I just picked this up again this weekend). Had no clue what to do with my Level 79 Scion and 75 Ranger so I started up a new Flameblast Totem templar on the new league (that ended today lol).

Not sure what I should do for the next league. Flameblast totem build seemed super easy and had some pretty solid killing power. There any other easyish beginner builds people favor for start of a new league? Not particularly interested in racing or anything just want something solid I can generally solo with that doesn't require too much specific gear.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Reminds me, anyone got suggestions about what to actually do with a Scion?

I played one in the propecy league, and liked the look and voice. But it were a little hard figuring out what focus or direction i should pick.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

When 3.0 comes out they'll be fixing burn/poison double dipping.
    Since I haven't really abused it, my plan is to go all in on double dipping, one build around cold -> fire vortex, and the other using viper strike.

Scion is currently in a pretty bad place. It doesn't do much that another base class does better.
    Maybe something involving the easy jewel slots?

13. - Top - End - #43

Lightbulb Re: Path of Exile 3.0 (the other Diablo clone)

Maybe you could create a Scion who was good at both melee and bows ?
    (primary and secondary weapons)
    Last edited by N810; 2017-02-28 at 09:18 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

[QUOTE=N810;21755306]Maybe you could create a Scion who was good at both melee and bows ?
    (primary and secondary weapons)[/QUOTE

Because enemies scale super high, being mediocre at two things is way worse than being good at one. Even in Diablo II that wasn't a particularly good plan, and the power cap in PoE is way higher.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

15. - Top - End - #45

I wonder how a generalist build like this would fair in game. (all the +30 stat nodes)
    http://poeplanner.com/AAUAARUQAACImy...Ql930AAAAAAA==

Or go crazy an get 15 gem slots.
    http://poeplanner.com/AAUAAQsQIgCDvr...chwXwh0AAAAAAA
    Last edited by N810; 2017-02-28 at 01:48 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder how a crazy generalist build like this would fair in game.
    Pretty damn terribly.

• Plan builds at ~110 points, since getting past level 85 or so is difficult because the XP to level scales up and the XP per monster scales down.
    • MoM without a minimum of +100% or more max life is just going to die instantly, and even dropping MoM that means you want at least +150% life or +200% ES. Ideally, MoM + 150% life or no MoM + 180% life/250% ES.
    • Not nearly enough defensive mechanics. You literally path right by Acrobatics without taking it, which is a HUGE waste of time.
    • Stat passives are effectively useless unless you're scaling gear stats with them as well, for instance Hand of Wisdom and Action. But you're scaling all of them, which I guess leads into a Pillar of the Caged God + Cyclone build?
    • ...except for the fact that EE doesn't work on physical attack based builds, since you can't have any +elemental damage on gear. But you're taking EO to scale elemental damage.
    • How are you planning on keeping up all those charges in boss fights? Assume that chance-on-kill is useless.
    • Speaking of charges, you take power charges to scale crit... and then EO to completely remove your crit damage. What on earth.

Like, I can't even start optimizing this to do anything because it's just all over the damn place. I could maybe squeeze 20k DPS out of it, which is just plain unacceptable and won't make it past tier ~8 maps if you could even survive long enough to deal that damage.

The gem slots one is slightly better because it at least has a working concept. If you had 15 Grand Spectrums, you would get +60% elemental damage each which totals +900% elemental damage, a bit more than twice your average 11-Spectrum build. Use all of your other points to scale defenses.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2017-02-28 at 02:12 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

17. - Top - End - #47

I really wish the app totaled everything like it does in game.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

It's been a long time since I played PoE, but my main character was a Duelist with a two-handed sword. I didn't have a build as much as I had a general idea of what I wanted. It worked well enough in Cruel, but not in the labyrinth. I imagine trying to tackle other end-game content with it would've ended similarly. I also had an archer Shadow I didn't really know where to go with, and a sword/shield ranger.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah hello, just noticed this game and that it was free so I am slowly donwloading it. And the skill tree, is daunting. Looking at it, I want to try Iron Reflexes with the ranger for some reason. But I have no idea what I would need to match that with. Looking, it seems like I can benefit from DoT effects, shooting enemies close up, and then trying to find good paths to other things, I guess? Also, does Attack damage apply to bows?

Edit So, looking at the skill tree... would this be good or terrible? (Numbers probably a little off).

Roughly, Finesse at 5, Point Blank 10, Iron Reflexes 14, Graceful Assault 17, Gem Socket 20, Heart of Oak, 22, Ballistic Mastery 24, Aspect of Eagle 26, Aspect of Lynx 30, Gem Socket 34, Heavy Draw 41, Deadly Impact 45.
    Last edited by Grytorm; 2017-02-28 at 06:23 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

So.. does the Scion then actually have any sort of niche? anything she is specifically suited for doing?

Did manage to defeat the beast on normal, but not certain how to take things in further, or what sort of unique strenghts the Scion actually have ?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

For anybody planning builds, I recommend taking a look at the offical forum build guides to get a general idea of what to do, then tweak it yourself with a planner. N810 linked a decent online one (PoEPlanner) earlier. I personally use Path of Building; you can put together just about every piece of math in the game together with it, and it's even got better DPS calculation than the game's tooltips. Don't set any plans in stone until tomorrow or the day after, because the tree is literally right about to change.

EDIT: Ooh, I was off by a bit. 2.6.0 patch notes are up, 20 minutes after I originally made this post.
    Spoiler: Patch Note Reactions
    Show
    > Siosa now sells all quest gems once you've completed his quest and the quests required to unlock the appropriate tiers of gem rewards
    At last, no more player trading (and long AFK times) to get all the gems for your build! Perfectly timed with the release of the SSF mode, too.

> Unset Rings can now roll a new mod that increases the level of the socketed gem by up to three levels.
    An interesting change to make them competitive with other rings, since you can stick your aura there to make up for the lack of implicit.

> Wild Strike now converts 100% of the attack's physical damage to a random element, up from 60%.
    It's not enough to make up for how bad namelocking melee plays in this game, but boosting the damage of a fun skill to where it's comparable or better than the alternatives is a start at least.

Weapon changes: crit nerfed, one-hand damage buffed, staff and claw implicits buffed
    Very welcome changes. There should be more variety in weapon choice now, especially if the buff to one-handed axes (a type mostly used as stat sticks before) is as big as I hope it is.

Terminus Est, Darkray Vectors, Starkonja's Head buffed
    All according to keikaku...

Zana map mod changes
    RIP Double beyond maps

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Ah hello, just noticed this game and that it was free so I am slowly donwloading it. And the skill tree, is daunting. Looking at it, I want to try Iron Reflexes with the ranger for some reason. But I have no idea what I would need to match that with. Looking, it seems like I can benefit from DoT effects, shooting enemies close up, and then trying to find good paths to other things, I guess? Also, does Attack damage apply to bows?

Edit So, looking at the skill tree... would this be good or terrible? (Numbers probably a little off).

Roughly, Finesse at 5, Point Blank 10, Iron Reflexes 14, Graceful Assault 17, Gem Socket 20, Heart of Oak, 22, Ballistic Mastery 24, Aspect of Eagle 26, Aspect of Lynx 30, Gem Socket 34, Heavy Draw 41, Deadly Impact 45.
    You, especially, should wait another day or two, because you're in the part of the tree that's getting reworked the most. I wouldn't bother with Graceful Assault since Onslaught-on-kill is... kind of useless when trash mobs already die so fast and you can't keep it up for bosses. Otherwise that's an okay start if you then start grabbing health where you can, probably by heading over to the life wheel by the Scion starting area and grabbing both Profane & Arcane Chemistry along the way.

And yes, almost all bow skills are attacks and will scale with attack damage. The explosion damage on Explosive Arrow notably isn't, which makes it really great with Quill Rain to stack up really fast since, Quill Rain only reduces your attack damage.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    So.. does the Scion then actually have any sort of niche? anything she is specifically suited for doing?

Did manage to defeat the beast on normal, but not certain how to take things in further, or what sort of unique strenghts the Scion actually have ?
    She doesn't, currently. Her niche is being a generalist, but this just isn't a game where generalization is particularly good. You can do anything, but because of that you're not the best at any of them. That's why only 10 out of the top 2000 characters in Breach League were Scions.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2017-02-28 at 10:35 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    For anybody planning builds, I recommend taking a look at the offical forum build guides to get a general idea of what to do, then tweak it yourself with a planner. N810 linked a decent online one (PoEPlanner) earlier. I personally use Path of Building; you can put together just about every piece of math in the game together with it, and it's even got better DPS calculation than the game's tooltips. Don't set any plans in stone until tomorrow or the day after, because the tree is literally right about to change.
    Thanks for the link, downloaded it and messed around some. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to zoom in, still workable, but no pretty pictures.

You, especially, should wait another day or two, because you're in the part of the tree that's getting reworked the most. I wouldn't bother with Graceful Assault since Onslaught-on-kill is... kind of useless when trash mobs already die so fast and you can't keep it up for bosses. Otherwise that's an okay start if you then start grabbing health where you can, probably by heading over to the life wheel by the Scion starting area and grabbing both Profane & Arcane Chemistry along the way.

And yes, almost all bow skills are attacks and will scale with attack damage. The explosion damage on Explosive Arrow notably isn't, which makes it really great with Quill Rain to stack up really fast since, Quill Rain only reduces your attack damage.
    Interesting, assuming it is at least a little similar probably pick up some Strength right after Iron Nerves, Beef I guess, and maybe Fury Bolts by vie Art of the Gladiator. Late in the build go for Iron Grip for presumable a good damage boost.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Is there any hero that could be played similarly to the D2 hammer paladin? I used to love playing that char a few years ago.

24. - Top - End - #54

Probably marauder.
    He specializes in strength,
    so he can equip the heavies armor,
    and can easily specialize in hammers or maces.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EthanKelly1988 View Post
    Is there any hero that could be played similarly to the D2 hammer paladin? I used to love playing that char a few years ago.
    So in POE every character can do everything. There aren't any skills locked by class like in D2. Certain classes can do some things easier, or better though.
    In general, offensive skills are broken into spels and attacks. Attacks use your weapon damage and spells have their own numbers.

From what I remember about hamerdins; The skill that visually looks closest to it is vaal spectral throw. However you can't spam and fill a room with them. Vaal gems can only be used every 8-16 enemies you kill. The other difference is that it's an attack not a spell, so your weapon damage matters.
    http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vaal_Spectral_Throw
    Last edited by sleepy hedgehog; 2017-03-01 at 01:31 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

The multiple projectiles gems work with spectral throw.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

As mentioned, Vaal Spectral Throw is the direct equivalent of Blessed Hammer. For your primary attack with similar scaling, look at the regular Spectral Throw to throw your weapon or one of the skills that create projectiles when you hit with a melee weapon: Molten Strike, Frost Blades, or Lightning Strike.

Tempest Shield is pretty much Holy Shield, so keep it around if you want the same flavor buff.

Of course, if you just want to AoE things with a bigass hammer, there's always Earthquake, Ground Slam, and Sunder; all of which have pretty similar scaling so you could even swap them out on the fly if you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Thanks for the link, downloaded it and messed around some. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to zoom in, still workable, but no pretty pictures.

Interesting, assuming it is at least a little similar probably pick up some Strength right after Iron Nerves, Beef I guess, and maybe Fury Bolts by vie Art of the Gladiator. Late in the build go for Iron Grip for presumable a good damage boost.
    Zoom is on the scroll wheel by default. If you don't have one... I'm not sure.

Also, as I hinted at earlier: don't bother looking for strength/dexterity/intelligence in the passive tree except to scale a specific unique item you're using or to temporarily meet requirements (or maybe to scale Iron Grip). You'll usually get enough from the +10 travel nodes, you can get up to +55 on a rare item, and the bonuses from stats are generally way worse than the other nodes:

30 strength is +6% melee damage and +15 life. That's a bit over half an average 10% damage node for a melee build, and a lot less than the +50-100ish life you can get from an average 5% life node.

30 dexterity is +60 accuracy (which varies wildly, but you can get +400 on gear as a comparison) and +6% evasion, half the average node.

30 intelligence is +15 mana and +6% energy shield, which is a bit over half the average node and is going to be nerfed in 3.0 because it makes the int-scaling uniques a bit too strong defensively.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2017-03-01 at 02:07 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

28. - Top - End - #58

What determines you overall base critical hit percentage ?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

What determines you overall base critical hit percentage ?
    Base critical hit percentage comes from the particular weapon you are using (for attacks) or the skill itself (for spells). Do note that weapon mods that increase the weapon's own critical strike chance change the base crit chance, which is extremely important for scaling from passives/power charges/whatnot.

Base critical strike chances vary quite appreciably between different weapons and spells so it is important to make sure you're using one with a good base if you want to try to scale your damage effectively off crit.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2017-03-01 at 02:46 PM.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Oh heya Hellbug, it's been awhile.

Off the top of my head, two other things affect your base crit: Increased Critical Strikes' "+1-2% to critical strike chance" and one of the Assassin ascendancy nodes gives "+0.5% critical strike chance per power charge".

And, of course, Resolute Technique means you can't crit, and Trypanon attacks always crit unless you have Resolute Technique.

After base crit is found, your final crit% is calculated as follows, which is standard for all multipliers (increased/decreased stack additively, more/less stack multiplicatively):
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2017-03-01 at 02:56 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor