New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Path of Exile 3.0 (the other Diablo clone)

I remember a while back there... not sure of the term, but one of the spheres on your sphere grid (sorry for the FFX terminology) that gave you 1 HP but immunity to chaos damage and maybe a boost to your mana shield. How viable is a build that focuses on mana shield to keep from dying without really having HP?

It looks interesting to me, but I could see it might be a suicidal move.

Also, what do gem sockets on the grid mean? Those are new since I last played.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I remember a while back there... not sure of the term, but one of the spheres on your sphere grid (sorry for the FFX terminology) that gave you 1 HP but immunity to chaos damage and maybe a boost to your mana shield. How viable is a build that focuses on mana shield to keep from dying without really having HP?

Also, what do gem sockets on the grid mean? Those are new since I last played.
    You're talking about Chaos Inoculation. Mana shield (which I'm planning on doing with my first build this league) would be Mind over Matter to use your mana to take some of the damage your life would, plus Eldritch Battery to move your energy shield from life to mana.

CI is the single most common notable taken on the entire passive tree, for the simple reason that (late game at least) you can get ~10k energy shield for the same investment as ~6k life. Don't switch over until you have at least as much ES as the life you're losing (usually ~4k at roughly level 60-70), but it's a staple of most endgame builds.

The jewel sockets (gems are in gear, jewels are in the passive tree) let you use jewels, which basically let you roll your own passive point with up to 4 modifiers (or provide unique effects), and usually each of those modifiers can roll slightly better than a regular passive. For instance, a life node on the tree is usually 5-6%. Jewels can roll up to 7% life as one of their modifiers. Grabbing all the ones you pass by that are 2-3 points away is highly recommended.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2017-03-01 at 03:40 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Oh heya Hellbug, it's been awhile.
    I generally play for a couple weeks with each new league before my build runs out of steam and I wait for the next one. I might have an unhealthy relationship with sword-and-board flask ascendancy rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post

You're thinking of chaos inoculation, which reduces your life to 1 and provides immunity to chaos damage, meaning that you rely entirely on energy shield (not mana shield, it's Mind Over Matter that allows you to take a percentage of damage on your mana) instead of life. I've never personally gotten it to work super well (I come from a time when life was better and have never gotten over it), but, when people do, a big thing to remember is that since energy shield is so reliant on big numbers from your equipment, chaos inoculation is only really usable at high levels when your equipment is really solid. I'll put it this way: chaos inoculation isn't good for leveling even if it's something you're planning on picking up.

Edit: And ninja'd.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2017-03-01 at 03:40 PM.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Path of Exile 3.0 (the other Diablo clone)

Build link: http://poeplanner.com/AAUAAQsTAACD34...zwfqFp2AAAAAAA

Here's a rough build Idea I was working on for that very build.

The basics being:

Keystones:

Chaos Inoculation
    Maximum Life becomes 1, Immune to Chaos Damage
    Ghost Reaver
    Life Leech is applied to Energy Shield instead
    Zealot's Oath
    Life Regeneration is applied to Energy Shield instead
    Pain Attunement
    30% more Spell Damage when on Low Life

and as many buffs to shield that I thought I could get away with.
    +88.4% to maximum Energy Shield From Intelligence
    15% more maximum Energy Shield
    384% increased maximum Energy Shield
    15% faster start of Energy Shield Recharge
    145% increased Energy Shield Recharge Rate
    +154 to maximum Energy Shield

Ps. not sure if the +30 to maximum Life does anything,
    you could easily take the other path though.

pps. I think I had some vague notion of a chaos based damage theme when I was planning this.
    Last edited by N810; 2017-03-01 at 04:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Low Life bonuses doesn't work with CI, since you're always at maximum health (1/1). Low life builds use Shavronne's Wrappings (or I guess Solaris Lorica) to get "Chaos Damage doesn't bypass energy shield" then reserve life with Blood Magic on auras to stay below 30% max at all times.

You have a ton of ES, but... what are you going to use to deal damage? You're scaling physical/chaos spells, is this going to be a Bladefall trapper?

Where do your regen and leech come from to make use of those other keystones? You could drop a Life Leech gem on your main damage link, but you don't have any regen points.

EDIT:

Here's my Energy Drain/Contagion character from Breach League, which is honestly a fairly similar build to the one you've posted but with damage to back up the tankiness. Zealot's Oath converts the health regen from Essence Drain to energy shield regen, and I'm scaling chaos/DoT damage and AoE size for clearspeed, along with some curse effect to make my Temporal Chains + Vulnerability (or Enfeeble when I need defense more than damage) more effective.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2017-03-01 at 04:28 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

6. - Top - End - #66

There is a 1% of Life Regenerated per second and 0% leech
    Maybe I was thinking gear would take care of the rest.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

1% regen is basically nothing, though with the sheer amount of scaling you stacked on max ES with that it's slightly better. I would expect at least 3-4% life regen in the passive tree before it became valuable; builds that really focus on regen like Explosive Arrow + Blood Magic tend to run 7-8% alongside a ~7k life pool and Righteous Fire builds that scale off health and regen go for 10-12% and 8k+ life.

I edited in my Essence Drain character from Breach to give you a similar build that'll hit endgame content easily. I was following my own build created from the intersection of 2-3 slightly different build guides. ED/C also works well with the Occultist ascendancy if you like blowing things up on kill, though you trade some max shield for more regen.

With my current gear, I have 6200 ES, 16000 tooltip DPS (which is an effective damage of above 22k with Vulnerability capping out at ~45k with both that and max stacks of Wither), and my Essence Drain's regen (0.5% of damage dealt) and Sulphur Flask's regen (4% of max while standing on the consecrated ground it drops) are applied to energy shield with Zealot's Oath. I was rolling through tier 7-8 maps pretty easily and likely could've gotten to red maps without gear upgrades, but I kind of lost interest in the game after playing for basically 3 weeks straight. So it definitely works at endgame.

Don't think this is maxed out, either. At theoretical cap, I could at least double my energy shield and damage, get a third curse (by finishing rolling the sockets on a pair of Windscream boots I picked up), and find a way to kill bosses faster (either an Essence of Delirium weapon, The Consuming Dark dagger, or finding space to put a 4-link Blight in somewhere).
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2017-03-01 at 04:58 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Zoom is on the scroll wheel by default. If you don't have one... I'm not sure.
    Was away from the mouse when I was having trouble, so yeah. Like to fiddle with some stuff while relaxing.

Also, as I hinted at earlier: don't bother looking for strength/dexterity/intelligence in the passive tree except to scale a specific unique item you're using or to temporarily meet requirements (or maybe to scale Iron Grip). You'll usually get enough from the +10 travel nodes, you can get up to +55 on a rare item, and the bonuses from stats are generally way worse than the other nodes:

30 strength is +6% melee damage and +15 life. That's a bit over half an average 10% damage node for a melee build, and a lot less than the +50-100ish life you can get from an average 5% life node.

30 dexterity is +60 accuracy (which varies wildly, but you can get +400 on gear as a comparison) and +6% evasion, half the average node.

30 intelligence is +15 mana and +6% energy shield, which is a bit over half the average node and is going to be nerfed in 3.0 because it makes the int-scaling uniques a bit too strong defensively.
    Okay, makes sense. Just wondering though, if you are near +30 attributes is it worth it to take? And if say a build is light on an attribute because of the paths being taken would taking big boosts to the stats worthwhile? Or a mid sized boost with a decent passive?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Okay, makes sense. Just wondering though, if you are near +30 attributes is it worth it to take? And if say a build is light on an attribute because of the paths being taken would taking big boosts to the stats worthwhile? Or a mid sized boost with a decent passive?
    Generally you only take those +30 when you need the stats because of your equipment/gems, or if you have special scaling from that stat, ex, you are using :
    http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Han...dom_and_Action

Here are my rough drafts of trees for this coming league:
    Cold->fire vortex berserk using Realm_Ender
    http://poeurl.com/5Bd

Viper strike assassin:
    CI: http://poeurl.com/5xJ
    Life: http://poeurl.com/5Bk
    Originally, I was going to do another CI build, then I realized I really didn't feel like doing energy shield again.
    Last edited by sleepy hedgehog; 2017-03-02 at 04:15 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Only temporarily if you need them. Most builds end up with ~300 of your primary stat and ~100 of the other two simply off of the travel nodes you take, there's no real pressure to grab the +30s.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy hedgehog View Post
    Viper strike assassin:
    Life: http://poeurl.com/5Bk
    Originally, I was going to do another CI build, then I realized I really didn't feel like doing energy shield again.
    I was going to say you're far braver than I, taking CI with a 50% less modifier from Acrobatics, but I suspect you just forgot to take that point off.

While we're sharing builds, here's my Mind over Matter + Eldritch Battery crit lightning caster along with ideal gem setup.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

While we're sharing builds, here's my Mind over Matter + Eldritch Battery crit lightning caster along with ideal gem setup.

The only issues I see is that you're reserving all of your mana with wrath/grace, making MoM less useful.
    Also you don't have a vaal gem at all.
    Lastly, I'd probably run a defensive curse, rather than conductivity, due to how long you'll be stuck in place with 8 lightning zaps, but that's just my preference.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, took laptop to school because my computer messed up while downloading and needed to start over. So I uninstalled what was there and got it properly installed using better internet. Played up to Lions Watch, first town, twice. Decided I wanted the split shot instead of the lightning arrow and quickly redid the first few minutes.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, took laptop to school because my computer messed up while downloading and needed to start over. So I uninstalled what was there and got it properly installed using better internet. Played up to Lions Watch, first town, twice. Decided I wanted the split shot instead of the lightning arrow and quickly redid the first few minutes.
    The new league comes out in about 24 hours. I'd recommend when it happens, you create a new character on that league, since it's where about 70% of the player base will be.
    Last edited by sleepy hedgehog; 2017-03-02 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Spelling x2

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

The only issues I see is that you're reserving all of your mana with wrath/grace, making MoM less useful.
    Also you don't have a vaal gem at all.
    Lastly, I'd probably run a defensive curse, rather than conductivity, due to how long you'll be stuck in place with 8 lightning zaps, but that's just my preference.
    That's the point - Mind Over Matter + Eldritch Battery lets me cast from energy shield after reserving my mana. Zealot's Oath with a few %regen points sustains ES (a bit over my 6L Lightning Tendrils cost with 3k ES), and there are plenty of health sustain options for lightning.

The CWDT+Blade Vortex+PCoC setup originally was Vaal Arc+Spell Echo+Increased Crits for burst damage + applying shock to everything, hence the Elemental Focus on the normal Arc. Vaal Lightning Trap would be good too, but I'm not sure I need the damage boost, since I probably won't play for long enough to hit Guardians. It is more than power charges get me and I could save a few passive points by not grabbing the charges, hm....

I agree on the curse, I just threw one that looked relevant in. I'll probably run Enfeeble+Blind instead of Conductivity+PCoC, especially since I have Grace already and really like rolling evasion flasks.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2017-03-02 at 05:08 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

The new league comes out in about 24 hours. I'd recommend when it happens, you create a new character on that league, since it's where about 70% of the player base will be.
    Are those new leagues the four month leagues and the standard league remains?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Are those new leagues the four month leagues and the standard league remains?
    Usually 3 months, but yes. Standard and Hardcore are the permanent leagues, Legacy and Legacy Hardcore start ~19 hours from now and will last a few months. At that point, every character and stash from them moves into Standard/Hardcore as appropriate.

Legacy League will come with the Leaguestone mechanic, which will drop randomly and let you spawn areas with up to 3 of any previous league mechanics. There's also some ancient reliquary keys at higher levels (you need access to the map device to use them, dunno where they can drop) which will give you a special foil unique with the stats it originally had on release.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Well. Just realized that the Duelist is probably better positioned in the skill tree for what I am trying for my first character. But I just like the look of the Ranger. Played through the quest in the cave where you meet the necromancer and hit level, 7, I think. Got basic magic gear. Short on skill slots, I think. Only got three green, no red, and three blue. Currently have the Split Shot, the random elemental damage skill, and tried a few things for the third green.

Also, does the game use a certain amount of internet? And if so is there any way to decrease my dependence on it. Game ran a little slow at times.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the 2.6 patch leave my a bit puzzled, as I really want to run the new league, but on the other hand my standard slayer (my high char) is going to get so much better with carnage heart changes. I used it for up to level 75 or so and only then switched for a generic one because i couldn't take the -25%HP any more, but with that gone, and 30-40% increased damage while leeching stacked on top (and I'm practically leeching non-stop). the faster leech is just a cherry on top.

The in-between answer is to do a new slayer for 2.6, but that would be stupid. especially considering I want to go SSF so I can't assure getting any specific unique (except atizari uniques who can be farmed for I guess)

Not sure what I'll play on 2.6
    Maybe a cold deadeye, maybe a cold raider...

Really wish a wandslinger barrage build would be even somewhat viable, but that's highly unlikely. wand base damage is just too low, and very few skills actually trigger off wands.
    Bows just have a much better base, easier to passive off, much more skills available and can stack a quiver on top.
    Not to mention going for attacks with wands means you miss out on the powerful spell damage implicit (or cast speed if using a maraketh wand)

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

19. - Top - End - #79

I still haven't completely decided on what to play in 2.6.

I'm leaning towards just doing a good old-fashioned Lightning Arrow Ranger (they also gave Ranger some more elemental support in the tree, right?). I plan to play Solo Self-Found, so I can start out with this and then let any potentially interesting uniques I stumble upon become the inspiration for other builds.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Oh great, the Ice Shot threshold gem gives free pierce... luckily I was starting with Arc, but I'm going to have to rethink that build since Deadeye won't be particularly good if I've got 100% pierce already.

Also, does the game use a certain amount of internet? And if so is there any way to decrease my dependence on it. Game ran a little slow at times.
    Most online games will use a small data connection, but it's probably graphics settings that are slowing you down, not that.

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    Not sure what I'll play on 2.6
    Maybe a cold deadeye, maybe a cold raider...

Really wish a wandslinger barrage build would be even somewhat viable, but that's highly unlikely. wand base damage is just too low, and very few skills actually trigger off wands.
    Bows just have a much better base, easier to passive off, much more skills available and can stack a quiver on top.
    Not to mention going for attacks with wands means you miss out on the powerful spell damage implicit (or cast speed if using a maraketh wand)
    There's a lot more weapon elemental pen near the Ranger for sure, you can get 19% for Cold weapon attacks real easily (Fire and Lightning are a bit farther away, but still easy enough to grab) and two of the new Frost Blades jewels can give you another 30%. It's all very tempting, but I'm not sure how high single-target damage would be.

Yeah, wands used to be pretty strong but they're just not great any more. I know people used to run Cast on Crit with Barrage to take advantage of the spell damage, but I'm not sure how good that is now. You could also use a Crown of Eyes to apply your spell damage to attacks.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2017-03-03 at 01:39 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Most online games will use a small data connection, but it's probably graphics settings that are slowing you down, not that.
    I don't know if it was something with my settings, but playing Youtube while playing PoE resulted in noticeable latency spikes which I haven't seen before in other online games like Diablo or various MMOs. I suppose it could also have just been a poor day connection wise since I hadn't tried it since.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

I've never played Path of Exile without at least some lag problems. Not sure if it's bad luck on my part or not.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    I don't know if it was something with my settings, but playing Youtube while playing PoE resulted in noticeable latency spikes which I haven't seen before in other online games like Diablo or various MMOs. I suppose it could also have just been a poor day connection wise since I hadn't tried it since.
    Wouldn't this cause lag in any online game ?
    (unless you have high speed internet)

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone else can't download the 2.6 patch?

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    Anyone else can't download the 2.6 patch?
    Are you on Steam? I hear the standalone client generally has smoother patching. When you log into pathofexile.com there'll be a big green button at the top right that says "Download Now" that will give you the installer.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

So how did your launch weekends go?

I forgot how much I dislike leveling a attack based character as my league starter.
    Having to keep finding new weapons is annoying.

Even with the threshold gem, viper strike is not a very good skill. It's damage is fine, but being a namelock melee skill, it's annoying to use
    Things picked though up once I finally realized that I should actually use the multistrike gem, instead of leaving it on my weapon swap.

I didn't get to play at all on Sunday, since Spring break began. So I only made it to level 75, and tier 4 maps.
    I did get 2 exalted orbs though. 1 from drops, the other from selling lots of stuff.

EDIT:
    I pretty much didn't use league stones between the end of Normal and Merciless Dried Lake. They killed me enough I felt I was being slowed down. Did you find them worth using?
    Last edited by sleepy hedgehog; 2017-03-05 at 10:51 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87

I only had time to dip my feet this weekend, but I like my LA Ranger so far. I also really like Leaguestones - I got quite a few Ambush stones early on and all the strongboxes made for a nice head start in terms of gear (I play SSF). Now I have a good string of Perandus stones I'm working through (although I haven't encountered the man himself yet. Of course, I am just on Normal, so it might well be that the stones become too dangerous eventually.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by N810 View Post
    Wouldn't this cause lag in any online game ?
    (unless you have high speed internet)
    Well I do have high speed internet and the only game where I get noticeable choppyness is PoE. As mentioned Diablo 3 ran perfectly smooth with Youtube running in the background, as did a number of MMOs (Guild War 2, Black Desert, WoW etc). I'll grant I haven't tried playing any FPS games with it running so it may be a response time type thing, which is more prominent in PoE than the other above mentioned games.

Went with an Ancestral Warchief Marauder build for the new league. Seems pretty OP even with crap gear. The league mechanics this time are also fantastic. I love the leaguestones. A note to people though, don't hoard them (at least early on). They are limited to area levels so if you save all your normal ones you'll find you can't use them later anyways.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

I got to level, 13 or 14. So, I most of everyone is far ahead. Beat Brutus and enjoyed some of the leaguestones. Currently the attack I am using the most would be the Elemental shot with the multishot support.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

I'm definitely playing a LOT slower with leaguestones on, I'm basically full clearing while leveling which is highly inefficient. I have 7 hours played and only now got to Cruel but I should be mapping. Everything's still fun, though, so I'm not really concerned.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor