New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Path of Exile 3.0 (the other Diablo clone)

What are you planning on doing? The first thing I think of when I hear "duelist archer" is Blast Rain using Chin Sol + Empire's Grasp to suck everything on top of you to maximize damage.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Full cold conversion frost shot is rather fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    What are you planning on doing? The first thing I think of when I hear "duelist archer" is Blast Rain using Chin Sol + Empire's Grasp to suck everything on top of you to maximize damage.
    woah, not so fast ... I'm still a new player so I'm in no way building a character to explicitly fish for specific Uniques

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

You don't fish for specific uniques, you buy them from other players. There are so many items in this game that if you go in intending to drop something specific you'll never see it. Those are common uniques and I've still never seen either of them, but it's 2 chaos for the pair and you'll drop at least 10 chaos worth of mixed currency before level 70. Heck, I have a tab from the two-week league where I only played to level 34 and there's two chaos just sitting there with another 4-5c in other currency.

Don't be afraid of unique items just because they're orange. They're easy to get because so many people play this game. Unless you're playing Solo Self Found, which is valid too.

EDIT: I should say, most unique items are easy to get. Whichever ones make up the popular builds (Taste of Hate) or require doing difficult content (Atziri's Disfavor, Starforge, etc.) are actually expensive.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2017-08-06 at 06:39 AM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Find wanted Unique here: https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Unique_item

Search for said unique or rare with the stats you want in your price range here: http://poe.trade/

Get thyself a lootfilter here: http://www.filterblade.xyz/
    (I use Neverskink's like the majority of other people and generally update it from Semi strict when just starting to very strict after I have a couple of characters to maps and have built up a stockpile of low end currency and crafting materials).

6. - Top - End - #156
    Firbolg in the Playground

Is it just me, or is the new stuff way less optimized (in the technical sense) than the old stuff? I have it set down to 10 FPS and it still struggles with lots of creatures/effects on screen. But when I'm going through acts 1-4, it seems to be working fine.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Its actually more optimized, however the 3.0 move ahve screwed up all the settings in options, so you may need to set options again for it to work properly.

2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

is it just me or are the graphics not as sharp on the new release?
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

They've got some sort of dynamic optimisation going on where it drops your resolution/settings to avoid the framerate getting too low that can cause it to potato at times, but other than the occassional visit to early 2000's graphics, I've found it to be pretty nice so far. Having taken 2 characters through act 1-4 again, I can say that 1-4 are way better optimised than 5+ however.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ok, good to know. Thanks.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Turning off dynamic resolution improves it for most people though. it seems that specific system isn't working too well.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Bugbear in the Playground

I might have to do that, My game was looking every bit of Diablo 1 last night.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

From all reports, the Fire ground effects, especially in Act5 and 10 are usually what sets it off. I can confirm that Some lightning effects will also bring out the inner 640*480 lurking in the background. Having said that, it does stay smooth as opposed to the good old pop chest with exile in it - lag horribly - respawn at waypoint that you used to get in the higher difficulties on occassion.

There's also a bit of an issue with some ... non-nvidia cards. For some it's relatively easy and all it takes is switching from DX11 to DX9, for others there's more serious problems and for many others still there's no issues at all.

Act 5 boss is a bit rough, especially for melee as even with capped resists and a decent hp pool, you're trusting RNG not to eat a bunch of fireballs to the face. Both my guys that I've run through have also had major issues with the Act 6 boss, though most others have reported no issues. The real kicker is Act10 where not only is the boss quite the nightmare and the trash isn't exactly a pushover either, but maps are locked behind the boss, so HC players are in for a rough time and some melee players are recording 20+ deaths just repeatedly throwing themselves at him just to get a few hits in and then get slapped down in 1 shot.

14. - Top - End - #164

Yea my melee builds tend to have to resort to this on a lot of boss fights. :(
    (last nigh I was fighting the lord of tides and my golem lasted like 20 seconds longer than I did)
    Last edited by N810; 2017-08-07 at 12:15 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

That's not a problem unique to melee builds, even ranged builds can be in trouble.

See, his minions are freaking strong too, and they just SWARM the place, and once they swarm the entrance-its really hard to get anything done.

Act10 boss is brutal, and without the ability to map before fighting him, its hard getting stronger.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    That's not a problem unique to melee builds, even ranged builds can be in trouble.

See, his minions are freaking strong too, and they just SWARM the place, and once they swarm the entrance-its really hard to get anything done.

Act10 boss is brutal, and without the ability to map before fighting him, its hard getting stronger.
    Oh, you're not wrong, my Stormcaller had something like 14 deaths to him, even with 3.2k life, 800 ES and 1k unreserved Mana for MoM (ie, ~5k EHP) and even with "enough" damage to roll fairly easily through the previous content (even the spectral throw idiots who are FAR stronger than everything else up to that point). I wasn't even just stacking HP either, I had ~1500 armour and capped resists (well overcapped in fact) and even with a granite flask and a ~+80% armour flask with warlords mark up, I was only just keeping up with damage sometimes (and yet others I would sit there for ages happily nuking away?).

There's a bunch of issues with the Act 10 boss, and it's not just damage (though he does seem to hit a bit too hard).

If all else fails, decoy totem for the win I suppose?

Edit: Wow, Brine King is a very different fight for melee vs ranged - not in the difficulty, but the mechanics. He did a bunch of stuff of never saw as I burst him down previously. That was super fun.
    Last edited by Drasius; 2017-08-08 at 03:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Who has two thumbs and got sucked back into Wraeclast? This guy!

I've gone for a sword-axe-and-board Sunder Gladiator, a build I've been meaning to try for the past 3 or 4 leagues. Currently level 60 and pushing through Act 9 . The build is a ton of fun and I can see why it's become a popular league starter: tanky, great clear speed, super-easy itemisation. Sunder one-shots packs, shield charge let's you zip around the map and between block, a bit of leech and easy pathing to HP nodes I've had no trouble staying upright and smashing face.

The new acts have made levelling experience feel like an entirely different game. Everything feels fresh again, and I'm really enjoying the story, the new maps and new enemy types. My favourite thing has to be the bosses, though. I've criticised GGG's boss design in the past for unclear and extremely punishing mechanics but the new bosses are really quite great*. Big attacks are well-telegraphed and there's clear counterplay opportunities. I've honestly had a blast fighting most of them. That said, I've not yet faced off against the Act 10 boss which I've been hearing not-great things about so we'll see.

*this opinion was paid for by Ranged Tanky Melee DPS™, mileage may vary by build.

Quote Originally Posted by N810 View Post
    I might have to do that, My game was looking every bit of Diablo 1 last night.
    Before turning Dynamic Resolution off, you could try playing with the target FPS slider. I've settled on 30, the game looks nice and shiny 97% of the time and the other 3% of the time I'm playing the PoE PS1 port instead of PoE.ppt. And let me tell ya, Malachai is way harder in the MS Office version
    Truth resists simplicity.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

I'm considering getting back in after the update. I've had two builds get decently into the endgame, a minionmancer and a facebreaker/cyclone marauder. FWIW, most of this was done before the labyrinth came about, so I'm at least 3 metas behind.I'd love to run something ranged in one of the new leagues. Any suggested builds that don't require a ton of specific items to get rolling?

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Any of Sunder/Cyclone/Lacerate for any of 'Zerk/Slayer/Gladiator are all pretty easy
    Frost blade raider
    Ele-Buzzsaw (spectral throw w/ele conversion) almost any class
    Stormcall (though it will drop off later) Elementalist/Inquisitor
    Scorching ray (optional CwC firestorm) 'Zerk/Chieftan/Elementalist/Inquisitor/Trickster
    Blade vortex - your choice of ele conversion or not, Crit-Quisitor usually prefered for ele conversion
    Tornado shot/Lightning arrow/Ice Shot - Raider probably recommended
    Righteous fire, either self or totems (though self basically requires Rise of the Phoenix) Zerk/Chieftan
    Frostbolt totems - Heirophant
    SRS summons (much better with the Baron, but that's something like ~1-200 chaos at the moment because of how popular and silly strong it is)
    Essence Drain - Apparently Scion is the go here but I've never looked into it
    Glacial Cascade mines - Sab being the obvious choice

And that's just off the top of my head.

Ele-conversion is all the rage at the moment, and the availability of (select) threshold jewels as a quest reward means that some builds are a lot easier to get off the ground than others.

Have a look at some of the streamers stuff as they have all just put out some recommendations for league starters:
    Mathil - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGkRgabUMBQ (Stormburst, Sunder/Cyclone, Frost Blades, Blade Vortex, Scorching Ray Trickster)
    Engineering Eternity - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZyn3q_M1as (Scorching Ray Necro) & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRKLks6sq8Q (Sunder)
    ZiggyD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2eFEalqgY0 (Glacial Cascade mines)
    Pohx Kappa - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGrUqA-Y_ng ('Zerk Righteous FIre)
    Zizaran - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y672V9rCkIU (Frostbolt totems) & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wUmZ_gQY18 (Slayer Cyclone) & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajYktGo91i4 (Ancestral Warchief)

And probably many others.

Related - I've just started a Lacerate/Cyclone Slayer and at level 50 something I'm still facerolling content with a lvl 18 Wideswing that a prophecy coughed up, though damage is starting to be a bit borderline (as to be expected with a lvl 18 weapon in a lvl 50ish zone!).

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Just picked up Roth's Legacy on my Ranged Duelist via prophecy (even if I had to farm Wetlands some 5 times to spawn a rare Devoted) ... I guess I'm going to stick to that for a while :)

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    woah, not so fast ... I'm still a new player so I'm in no way building a character to explicitly fish for specific Uniques
    Just picked up Roth's Legacy on my Ranged Duelist via prophecy (even if I had to farm Wetlands some 5 times to spawn a rare Devoted) ... I guess I'm going to stick to that for a while :)
    Delicious.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    Delicious.
    Taking things out of context often? ... one was that i wouldn't go fishing for specific uniques to make a build work in the first place, the second one was getting a Prophecy that gave an item that fitted the build i was making

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Taking things out of context often? ... one was that i wouldn't go fishing for specific uniques to make a build work in the first place, the second one was getting a Prophecy that gave an item that fitted the build i was making
    Just amused that you ended up farming for a unique anyway, though not in the way you originally thought. Roth's is nice, so is Death's Opus (in fact, it's 99% as good as some BiS gear) and both of them are reasonably common. In fact, given that the prophecy chains now give council uniques at the end of V instead of randomly once you kill the council, Reach is going to be fairly accessable too. Good news for all bowies out there really. I can't remember if you can grab Windripper off a prophecy too, but if so, that's almost all the "main" bows covered through relatively easy to get means.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_S View Post
    I'm considering getting back in after the update. I've had two builds get decently into the endgame, a minionmancer and a facebreaker/cyclone marauder. FWIW, most of this was done before the labyrinth came about, so I'm at least 3 metas behind.I'd love to run something ranged in one of the new leagues. Any suggested builds that don't require a ton of specific items to get rolling?
    Drasius' list is very thorough. I'd pick Scorching Ray or Essence Drain as solid ranged options that'll get you far with basically whatever rares you pick off the ground.
    Truth resists simplicity.

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Before turning Dynamic Resolution off, you could try playing with the target FPS slider. I've settled on 30, the game looks nice and shiny 97% of the time and the other 3% of the time I'm playing the PoE PS1 port instead of PoE.ppt. And let me tell ya, Malachai is way harder in the MS Office version
    Dang, I didn't even notice that option yet.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

That's a good list of builds to work with. I had played around with a blight/essence drain user in normal a bit, but scorching ray sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks!

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Oh, somehow I forgot pizza sticks Flameblast totems too, which is highly efficient and easy but mind numbingly boring.

In other news, My lacerate/cyclone slayer managed to alch a not terrible axe and continued to faceroll content up to T5 so far while I have also started a LA/Barrage Raider who is capable of silly dps even at low levels. Fair warning - bosses got more than their HP buffed too, Mesa Oak was thoroughly wrecking my sh*t, even with cruel lab done, >20k dps, ~4.5k hp and relatively high armour I had to portal out 3 times to refill flasks. Definately a rude surprise, though he did have a bunch of buffs from the map mods.

I also like the changes to the lab - though IMHO normal is probably a bit too easy, but it's gone from horribly chore to acceptable interaction and can even be a fun time for some characters.

28. - Top - End - #178

My experience with the Labyrinth has been decidedly different,
    It usually takes me dozens of tries to get through, as usually
    the traps or the third boss fight would do me in, and of course
    random game crashes are responsible for more than a few failed runs.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing exactly how they changed the Lab this time round.

29. - Top - End - #179

Oh another thought,
    has anybody found any interesting combos will the new gems ?

Also am I the only one noticing the lack of gem venders in this release ?
    I know the one in the library is still there But I don't recall any other ones offhand...

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

They're still there? ... you need to do some quest, in their respective acts to get them to be willing to sell, but they're still there (at least I've been able to buy gems in all the 5 acts that I've played in yet)
    Last edited by Sian; 2017-08-11 at 10:24 AM.