New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hearthstone 19: Patches In All The Wrong Places

Livestream QnA just happened, watching the replay now and will edit the summary into this post as I see the points. At work, so it will take a while.

1) solo content will be free, released alongside each expansion, and will give packs rather than single cards. (Quantity was not announced)

2) there are special events planned for the lead-up to Mammoth, including Maiev's release and special Brawls.

3) Changes to Spirit Claws and STB are around the end of this month (so in the next week or so), Hall of Fame comes into effect when the next expansion hits.

4) Hall of Fame cards will not randomly spawn in Classic packs.

5) Will possibly be replacing the removed class cards to keep things even.

6) possibly reintroducing Wild adventures and packs, due to increased support for the format.

7) no intent to use PTRs, possibly if nerfs need testing

8) on buffing, it's not entirely out of the question, but highly unlikely

9) big blog post coming this week about arenas, including upcoming changes.
    Last edited by PsyBomb; 2017-02-22 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Just saw it myself. A lot of it was more sharing of their thought and decision-making processes which is cool I guess.

Notably it's the second mammoth expansion which will have the free single player content. Maybe the third also, the damn thing was an hour long, but it seems like they'll process feedback from the first try before deciding anything.

They also stated that the SP content was going to be more difficult since the rewards are packs instead of specific cards. Whereas the non-heroic adventure fights could not be too difficult since that would mean weaker players paying gold/money and not getting anything.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

"Reintroducing Wild adventures and packs"?

Does that mean "We're releasing Naxxramas again, people who didn't get it before can get it now! If you did get it before, there's no release that gives you anything at all this four months!"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post

Does that mean "We're releasing Naxxramas again, people who didn't get it before can get it now! If you did get it before, there's no release that gives you anything at all this four months!"
    I don't think so, if this is what I think it is (didn't see the whole thing). There was a question about whether Naxx et al would be made available again since Wild Heroic Tavern Brawls will be a thing, and they said they'd be looking into it.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Whoa. I don't think Naxx will take the place of a scheduled expansion release if that's what you're saying here. I interpreted it as a possible limited time sale, in addition to the three expansions per year.

To be honest the whole "never ever can you buy Wild packs and Adventures, ever, muahaha" plan didn't make sense to me. How hard would it be to have a popup saying "this is Wild content, are you sure you want to buy this?" or set it in a separate corner covered with vines so people understand. Sometimes people have cash/gold but no dust, and want Wild cards.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

On the changes, I think the possibility of replacement classic cards is most interesting. I think they shouldn't, to be honest. It will force people to spend their new dust or buy new classic packs. But maybe it will be okay if it's strictly for class cards. I'm not sure, it has a lot of risks to it.

Unrelated, had a really nice and honestly a bit unexpected 12-win arena today. Deck sharing for those interested. The very specific combination of secrets here was a total all-star. I had opportunities to play them in very specific ways to get people to play right into them.
    Spoiler: 12 win Mage
    Show

Mana Wyrm
    Mistress of Mixtures
    Amani Berserker
    Bluegill warrior
    Frostbolt
    Kobold Geomancer
    Medivh's Valet
    Arcane intellect
    Blackwing Technician
    Flamewaker
    Mirror Entity
    Ogre Brute
    Shattered Sun Cleric
    Spellbender
    Vaporize
    Volcanic potion
    Ancient Brewmaster
    Burly Rockjaw Trogg
    Dalaran Aspirant
    Fireball
    Bomb Squad
    Ethereal Conjurer x2
    Red Mana Wyrm
    Servant of Yogg Saron
    Blizzard
    Boulderfist Ogre
    Kabal Crystal Runner
    Nerubian Prophet
    Stormwind Champion
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    On the changes, I think the possibility of replacement classic cards is most interesting. I think they shouldn't, to be honest. It will force people to spend their new dust or buy new classic packs. But maybe it will be okay if it's strictly for class cards. I'm not sure, it has a lot of risks to it.
    My first instinct on that is that they'll pull from cards that otherwise are/would be Wild in Year of the Mammoth, like Dragon's Breath or Dark Peddler.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Firbolg in the Playground

Like someone else said, I don't expect Naxx to take the place of a new release. Then again we all expected Heroic Brawl to be its own thing too so you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    So that is interesting, though not unexpected (they've been hinting at it for a while now).

I get their reasoning, but just looking at the immediate responses after that post, you can see a lot of players are upset, they liked Arena because of its wildness. On the other hand I agree with the devs that it's kind of sad you can never have real synergy in arena due to the huge (and always growing) card pool. Hopefully they see the demand and add in a wild version of arena like they have for standard, to appease the people who prefer that.

Alternatively I think it would be really neat if they left Arena as Wild, but found some other way to encourage synergies. Like imagine if after you pick your first 5 cards, cards that have synergy with those first 5 are much more likely to show up. So if you grab an early mech you're likely to get mech synergy, or if you grab early jade you're more likely to get jade cards. It lets players target the kinds of decks they want to play, within reason, and still keeps the random factor of arena and letting it stay wild.

As an aside, am I the only one who would really like to see a draft mode more similar to Magic's draft tournaments? So instead of getting a bunch of selections of 3 cards to build a deck, you have something like:
    -$20.00 or 3000g Entry fee. Gets you access to Draft Mode for 1 month.
    -Get access to all basic cards plus 100 packs (randomly distributed from those currently available in standard. Or possibly specifically chosen by Blizzard each month to highlight specific things. Like with the launch of a new expansion just get 100 packs from the new expansion to play with)
    -Has ranking similar to Play Mode. The higher your rank, the better your rewards at the end of the month. Provides same rewards as standard, with the rankings here being overlapping much like Wild vs Standard currently are, only the highest rank provides rewards.
    -At the end of the month, pick some number of cards from your Draft collection to keep permanently. I'd put it at around 10-20 cards. (getting to pick 10-20 preferred cards out of 100 packs would be the reason for the high entry fee)
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    As an aside, am I the only one who would really like to see a draft mode more similar to Magic's draft tournaments? So instead of getting a bunch of selections of 3 cards to build a deck, you have something like:
    -$20.00 or 3000g Entry fee. Gets you access to Draft Mode for 1 month.
    -Get access to all basic cards plus 100 packs (randomly distributed from those currently available in standard. Or possibly specifically chosen by Blizzard each month to highlight specific things. Like with the launch of a new expansion just get 100 packs from the new expansion to play with)
    -Has ranking similar to Play Mode. The higher your rank, the better your rewards at the end of the month. Provides same rewards as standard, with the rankings here being overlapping much like Wild vs Standard currently are, only the highest rank provides rewards.
    -At the end of the month, pick some number of cards from your Draft collection to keep permanently. I'd put it at around 10-20 cards. (getting to pick 10-20 preferred cards out of 100 packs would be the reason for the high entry fee)
    Eternal has a Magic-like draft mode where you pick a card from a pack, then pass it to another player and keep going. You keep all of your cards from it and pick at the end which ones to use in a deck. No time limit on picking--the pack that gets passed to you stays there even if you leave mid-draft.

That would work for me.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2017-02-22 at 05:57 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    How hard would it be to have a popup saying "this is Wild content, are you sure you want to buy this?" or set it in a separate corner covered with vines so people understand. Sometimes people have cash/gold but no dust, and want Wild cards.
    About as hard as it would be for them to implement a way for people to have more than 9 deck slots in a way that wouldn't confuse players.

I feel like I should have some tongue in cheek ness with that, or some apology, but I don't know really.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Opening hand of Nat Pagle, Lorewalker Cho, and Kazakus.

I hate this Brawl so very much.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post

I conceded about 4, 5 times in a row before getting a good start... and Pagle/Cho was one of my opening hands, too.

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    I conceded about 4, 5 times in a row before getting a good start... and Pagle/Cho was one of my opening hands, too.
    Just saying, the special legendary cost reducing thing is a spell. Cho snagging even one of those from your opponent before he could summon something to kill it more than pays for itself.

Either way, I'm glad I got my win early and easy. I had Patches (turn 1 4 1/1 charging pirates is hard to deal with for most decks), a legendary that deals direct damage, and Mukla. Won on turn 4.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I finally got my pack with double Troggzor in my opening hand. Play nothing until the second Offensive Play (which meant my opponent held onto his, because value), then play both out. Opponent can't play his Offensive Plays without giving me two free Troggs, curbstomping happens.

I'm not proud of it, but at least I got my damn pack and can move on with my life.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post

Eh, if you get a hand like that, you just concede and start again, no time wasted. I'm actually reasonably happy playing this Brawl for my current 5 Brawl Wins quest. More consistent than a lot of the RNG-fests that too many Brawls boil down to.

My best match today: both of us passed the first few turns. Turn 3, I double Offensive Play, coin, Y'shaarj, who proceeds to pull Onyxia out of my deck. My opponent responds with double Offensive Play, Deathwing.

...Dragonlord, that is. I hit for 18 to face, play another Y'shaarj, the two pull a third Y'shaarj and a Shifter Zerus. It now being a board of 3 10/10s, an 8/8, and a 1/1 against his 12/12, my opponent just plays another Deathwing, Dragonlord, hits face, and politely lets me kill him on turn 5.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Just saying, the special legendary cost reducing thing is a spell. Cho snagging even one of those from your opponent before he could summon something to kill it more than pays for itself.
    On the other hand, your opponent will have just as much initiative when it comes to controlling how many copies of Offensive Play are in the game: with 0 Attack, you'll need one of the relatively uncommon means of buffing or removing Cho yourself in order to prevent them from simply clearing him only when it suits them, unless you follow up with a double-OP Troggzor or something.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Bugbear in the Playground

On the other hand, your opponent will have just as much initiative when it comes to controlling how many copies of Offensive Play are in the game: with 0 Attack, you'll need one of the relatively uncommon means of buffing or removing Cho yourself in order to prevent them from simply clearing him only when it suits them, unless you follow up with a double-OP Troggzor or something.
    I actually won a game completely because of lore walker cho. Used my Hemet on the hunter's 3 mana 4/2, then played a second cho. I had draw and the bigger cards, and managed to clog up his hand every turn making him burn his draws.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

my best so far this time around in brawl was:
    turn 1 drop patches I'm in charrrrge now!
    I'm in charrrrge now!
    I'm in charrrrge now!
    I'm in charrrrge now!
    turn 2 I drop the 4/6 charging pirate since his cost of 6 was reduced thanks to the patches brigade to just 2

opponent: "wow" -- concedes
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

I managed to go 5-0 this brawl. Cleared both a Brawl and a Shaman quest

Beardo Triplets on 1
    Twin Murk-eyes
    Saraad Spell Spam
    Wrathion Spam with a KT finisher
    Double-Offense into Dragonlord on 4, opponent kills it to find another in hand along with Ysera.

Using the luck thus revealed, I drafted one of the best Hunters I've ever Arena'd and went 8-3 in under two hours.
    Last edited by PsyBomb; 2017-02-23 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

21. - Top - End - #81
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Thank God I only had to do this brawl once. My opening hand was Millhouse, nexus champ saraad, and gruul. zero cost millhouse without fear of spell reprisal is actually pretty awesome.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    my best so far this time around in brawl was:
    turn 1 drop patches I'm in charrrrge now!
    I'm in charrrrge now!
    I'm in charrrrge now!
    I'm in charrrrge now!
    turn 2 I drop the 4/6 charging pirate since his cost of 6 was reduced thanks to the patches brigade to just 2

opponent: "wow" -- concedes
    I had a similar one for my pack. Going second, my turn 1 was quadruple patches, offensive play, coin, Gormok the impaler hits face for 4, next turn triple gormok.

Edit: On the expansion stuff. The trouble with Hearhstone using a Magic style draft format is that those sorts of formats require a time commitment. When you draft in magic, you're committing to a group. The gameplay and strategy of it is about thinking carefully about what cards you pass to the people next to you and what they're passing to you, then during gameplay you have a sense of what cards were in the pool and can attempt to discern what's in your opponent's deck. Doing a draft of that sort, where you carefully pass to other people, build up your synergies from that card pool, and tweak your deck based on what you're seeing, loses a ton if all your matchups are just against random people. But requiring time commitment and play only with a small group is against the design philosophy of Hearthstone, which is supposed to be something people can pick up and put down quickly, play on their phones or tablets as well as their computer, and come back to later if needed.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2017-02-23 at 11:57 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

23. - Top - End - #83
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

Shifter Zerus is garbage in this, and does not gain the Offensive Play benefit. Even if he shifts to a legendary, the benefit applies to that legendary instead of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #84

So far my favorite opening play has been my (starting second) play of Offensive Play > King Mukla > King Mukla > King Mukla > King Mukla start. From my opponent's perspective I imagine looking down 20 damage from four bodies hitting turn 1 is...pretty terrifying

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

My opponent once managed to play Offensive Play twice, and then play that legendary that summons one minion from your deck, which promptly summoned itself. GG
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    draft tune commitment.
    What if the draft was done, continuously, by everyone?

In other words, you open a pack, pick a card, then throw the remaining 4-card pack into a "bin" of 4-card packs.
    Then you are given a random 4-card pack (from which another player, somewhere, has picked the first card) and so on.

Essentially, one huge and continuous mega draft.
    (In the Rare case someone needs to pick and there are no available packs they'll just generate a new one and randomly take cards out)

I figure you'd pay some gold, enter and create a deck, and play with it against other players in the same format.
    Either arena style, or tournament style, or separated ladder with big prizes.

The disadvantage from Magic drafts is that you can't really "play the meta": drafts usually have few players, so you can tell if, for example, many people are picking a certain color, and use this knowledge to your advantage.

Also, classes are much different from Magic colors: most magic decks use more than one color, while this isn't possible with hearthstone.

Triclass cards are helpful in this regards, but there are so few of them.

Neutrals would get super high priority, it would be theoretically possible for someone to need a stupidly high amount of cards in order to make a legal deck...

I suppose they could make you draft X packs of ONLY class cards, then Y packs of only neutrals.
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    What if the draft was done, continuously, by everyone?

In other words, you open a pack, pick a card, then throw the remaining 4-card pack into a "bin" of 4-card packs.
    Then you are given a random 4-card pack (from which another player, somewhere, has picked the first card) and so on.

Essentially, one huge and continuous mega draft.
    (In the Rare case someone needs to pick and there are no available packs they'll just generate a new one and randomly take cards out)

I figure you'd pay some gold, enter and create a deck, and play with it against other players in the same format.
    Either arena style, or tournament style, or separated ladder with big prizes.

The disadvantage from Magic drafts is that you can't really "play the meta": drafts usually have few players, so you can tell if, for example, many people are picking a certain color, and use this knowledge to your advantage.

Also, classes are much different from Magic colors: most magic decks use more than one color, while this isn't possible with hearthstone.

Triclass cards are helpful in this regards, but there are so few of them.

Neutrals would get super high priority, it would be theoretically possible for someone to need a stupidly high amount of cards in order to make a legal deck...

I suppose they could make you draft X packs of ONLY class cards, then Y packs of only neutrals.
    Interesting thought. I don't think I'd want to use one massive pool though. It would be too random whether you'd get relevant class cards (you might get 4 packs as a mage that all have crap warlock cards and poor neutrals while somebody else pulls all fireballs). Hearthstone packs aren't really structured like magic packs with the cards specifically printed with drafts in mind.

If I were setting that up, I'd divide drafts by class instead. So, if I pick mage, I get a set of special mage packs that only have mage cards and neutrals. I'm then drafting with all other mages in existence. This does a few things. First, it means that certain classes that can support different strategies might improve in popularity (e.g., if I can expect to get certain synergy hunter class cards late because they're not all that powerful by themselves, I can try drafting a beast synergy deck that's nearly impossible in the current format, even at the same time as other hunters just pick single power cards). Second, it would likely smooth out overall arena randomness. You'd still be subject to seeing or not seeing certain bombs and top cards in your first few picks, but you'd have fewer decks that had several flamestrikes and firelands portals and many more decks that had 1-2 such cards while having a more standard average power. That's a good thing, imo because evening out the power per pick means that your skill in drafting an effective curve and a deck that works well together matters more than your luck, and your play skill suddenly matters WAY more than it did before.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

28. - Top - End - #88
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Would their coding allow for a 'flex' class card? Like if the virtual pack is flagged with 3 class cards and 2 neutral cards, but the 'class card' slots are variable depending on the pre-chosen class of the drafter?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2017-02-23 at 05:23 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Would their coding allow for a 'flex' class card? Like if the virtual pack is flagged with 3 class cards and 2 neutral cards, but the 'class card' slots are variable depending on the pre-chosen class of the drafter?
    Doubtful. They'd probably need to write something new to do that, since at the moment a pack's contents only need to be shown one time and there's nothing in place to retain that data anywhere, much less turn it into a variable. It's almost certainly discarded by the software the instant one leaves the pack screen right now.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    I slightly disagree! Ultimately, it would have to work something like a stock market, where the aggregate influence of a lot of agents does create large trends. The only challenge is finding a way to make those trends visible, which Blizzard could totally do: they just add the Innkeeper giving you up-to-date stats on class pick rates or other trends.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.