New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Hearthstone 19: Patches In All The Wrong Places

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    With regards to tapping, it's just gonna happen eventually. I give it one year before they introduce something like that (either "attack a friendly minion => special effect" or "if this minion didn't attack this turn, ...")
    I think it's likely. You could also fix some of the minion-killing issues (and lack of interesting choices other than ATTACK) with something like the following:

If you target your Hero with a minion instead of attacking with it, give it Taunt until the start of your next turn.

Again, something like this would be a HUGE (and possibly unhealthy) shift for the game, but it might lead to more interesting decisions, and provide a way to preserve minions you want to keep around.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2017-03-01 at 12:46 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

For those who don't frequent Reddit: Ben Brode raps about the Secrets of Un'goro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEmnpRSgqQk

The subreddit asked the Brode to sing a song because the cinematic didn't have a song, breaking the long running tradition.

BTW, it's best at 1.5 times speed.
    Last edited by Joran; 2017-03-01 at 03:31 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

After I finished the update, that popup from battle.net that said "Hearthstone: Now Playable" made me laugh much more than it should have. It's funny because it's true...

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    Also confirmed that there will be two Legendary cards per class (ugh), one minion and one Quest.
    Apparently there's only going to be five neutral legendaries, so it's not actually a higher concentration of them.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Apparently there's only going to be five neutral legendaries, so it's not actually a higher concentration of them.
    Still means more class specific legendaries, which means more legendaries required to make a number of decks. Less things like Kazakus/Patches that give you 3-4 decks you can play, more things that give you just a single deck you can play.

Basically exactly what I expected after they announced Hall of Fame.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    How many viable decks does the game need to stay fresh for four months? Because eventually, even if there are a dozen viable decks people will naturally gravitate to the one which has a 1.5% higher win rate than the others. The ability for people to share decks online, whether through guide sites or even just high level players streaming their games, contributes to the lack of variety. Why slog through an experimental deck building process when you can just crib Reynad's notes?
    Is that really the case, though? In every asymmetric competitive game I've seen, from fighting games to MOBAs, players don't just blindly pick the highest-winrate options. They tend to pick options with a sufficiently-high winrate, but also factor in other elements, such as preferred playstyle and the parts of the game that they prefer to engage in. Having a 52% winrate vs a 50% winrate is a small-enough difference that personal preferences will override it.

Netdecking also doesn't hurt variety, because it helps to streamline and speed up the prototyping process, which in turn leads to potentially more exploration and innovation.

Deck variety and game freshness is directly tied to the versatility and potency of the tools that a game gives its players. Hearthstone does not give its players versatile tools.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Deck variety and game freshness is directly tied to the versatility and potency of the tools that a game gives its players. Hearthstone does not give its players versatile tools.
    Hearthstone's streamlined game systems likely do contribute to the lack of variety. But that's always been touted as one of its strengths and a major contributing factor to its popularity. I mean, if "staleness" becomes a recurring issue the devs might be forced to evolve the game into something more complex. And that seems like a really risky move to make. I don't mean tacking on new mechanics like Discover or introducing new Tavern Brawl-style modes. I mean things like allowing players to react on their opponents turn, giving minions activated abilities, redoing the combat rules, etc (stuff that other posters have mentioned lol).
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Kinda sad that this brawl doesn't progress class-win quests. It even says 'Mage' under Kazakus.
    because it would not be very fair/nice to have a brawl that only works for 3 of 9 classes
    every brawl works for either all 9 classes to get quests done or none(even if some brawls quickly meta up to be "only these 2 or 3 classes can actually win games"{looking at you mr 10 copies of 3 cards brawl from a while back})
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    because it would not be very fair/nice to have a brawl that only works for 3 of 9 classes
    every brawl works for either all 9 classes to get quests done or none(even if some brawls quickly meta up to be "only these 2 or 3 classes can actually win games"{looking at you mr 10 copies of 3 cards brawl from a while back})
    Alleria vs. Medivh, back around TGT's release, says differently. They can do it, they've just decided not to this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yeah. They could have coded, say, Han'cho to give win credits towards all three Goon factions.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Whoa, whoa, WHOA!

The technology isn't there yet!
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Having played a bit more, I'm not actually sure the new Arena is an improvement. A step sideways, perhaps.

Before, it was all about curve. Get decent minions and play on curve. However, because everyone's decks were clogged by basic common cards the actual power difference between decks wasn't that great. There were exceptions, of course, but in general even if you had a sub-par deck you could make a good shot at a comeback by drawing well.

Now it seems like the power difference between decks is far more pronounced. The Mage player that got offered 2 Firelands Portals, 2 Blizzards, and a Flamestrike is playing against the Paladin that got offered 3 Eye for an Eye and 2 Sacred Trials. Getting a good spell offering is far better than getting a good minion offering, and there are a lot more chances to get good spells now.

So now if you get a good deck, you're getting half your games being blowouts and the other half being really tense matchups. If you don't get a good deck, you might as well Retire at once because you're extremely likely to go 0-3.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Bugbear in the Playground

Heroic Brawl is back next week, only this time it's dishing out MSOG packs. Looks like they're trying to suck up gold before Un'Goro.
    Steam ID
    Chained Cambion Avatar by Elder Tsofu.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerocite View Post
    Heroic Brawl is back next week, only this time it's dishing out MSOG packs. Looks like they're trying to suck up gold before Un'Goro.
    Yep, leaving this one alone just like last time. Reaction is the same as when I just pulled a Legendary and had it turn out to be Nozdormu, when I play primarily from phone. "Meh"

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yeah. Tavern Brawls are one of the places I go to when I want to avoid the ladder and it's meta. Back when I didn't have much of a collection the pre-made Brawls let me fight on an even playing field and otherwise there's some interesting twist to the rules. Betting 1000g and needing, what was it, 6 wins to break even is not my cup of tea.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Colossus in the Playground

I wonder how many people played Heroic Brawl the first time.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I wonder how many people played Heroic Brawl the first time.
    Enough, apparently.

But yeah, just means next week amounts to having no Brawl for me.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

I'm happy to watch all the streamers try-hard and explain their moves. I enjoyed it last time, even though it was almost all shamans after win 7.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    I'm happy to watch all the streamers try-hard and explain their moves. I enjoyed it last time, even though it was almost all shamans after win 7.
    I'm expecting the decks to be more diverse this time because of the very recent pirate nerfs. Nobody has sorted out between Jade Druid, various Rogues, and the Kazakus decks yet, so this is a good time for them to do a competitive tournament in the client. Even though I don't plan to participate.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Yeah. They could have coded, say, Han'cho to give win credits towards all three Goon factions.
    I'm actually surprised they didn't, cause IIRC, that's how it was the first time the 'gang bosses fight' brawl showed up.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine_Syn View Post
    I'm actually surprised they didn't, cause IIRC, that's how it was the first time the 'gang bosses fight' brawl showed up.
    You just showed up as a class, with the gang bosses shouting at you in that one, but then you counted as 3 classes. This time, they made you the gang boss, but you don't count as any classes at all. It doesn't make a ton of sense, but I have to guess it's the use of custom heroes and hero powers that messes it up.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2017-03-03 at 02:49 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    You just showed up as a class, with the gang bosses shouting at you in that won, but then you counted as 3 classes. This time, they made you the gang boss, but you don't count as any classes at all. It doesn't make a ton of sense, but I have to guess it's the use of custom heroes and hero powers that messes it up.
    Given that the tooltip for Han'Cho's hero power buff literally reads "Missing Ability Art," that seems like a very valid conclusion.

EDIT: It still reads like that two days later, so yeah.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2017-03-03 at 09:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

23. - Top - End - #173

Spoiler: New normal?
    Show

Priest, went 7/3.

8 dragons! Synergies are real in new arena. Even got Wrathion to draw more than one card few times.
    Last edited by thirsting; 2017-03-03 at 10:05 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Is arena really that slow right now? That deck has 2 one drops (one of which is northshire), two 2 drop (turn 1 mind vision or potion of madness may help though), 1-4 three drops (if nerubian isn't in hand at turn one it isn't a three drop) and two four drops (possibly more with nerubians) one of which is a 3/3 and the other is good removal. The late game is some of the best I have seen for arena though. Over all seems very slow compared to what arena was like before where they would run you over if you didn't curve perfectly every time.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175

I don't know, but it doesn't feel particularly slower than before. Just got quite lucky with my early game draws quite often.
    Last edited by thirsting; 2017-03-03 at 11:27 AM. Reason: regrets and perfectionism
    Well that was awkward.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post
    Spoiler: New normal?
    Show

Priest, went 7/3.

8 dragons! Synergies are real in new arena. Even got Wrathion to draw more than one card few times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    Is arena really that slow right now? That deck has 2 one drops (one of which is northshire), two 2 drop (turn 1 mind vision or potion of madness may help though), 1-4 three drops (if nerubian isn't in hand at turn one it isn't a three drop) and two four drops (possibly more with nerubians) one of which is a 3/3 and the other is good removal. The late game is some of the best I have seen for arena though. Over all seems very slow compared to what arena was like before where they would run you over if you didn't curve perfectly every time.
    No, it's not that slow, I think he lucked out a little bit in going 7-3 without getting overwhelmed. There are more spells generally though, so those multiple drakonid operatives are even more likely than before to grab you something that can bring you back from a losing board state, and priest is one of the best classes for coming back since they can heal themselves if they stabilize. I think the fact that the lategame is so spectacular was enough to succeed a lot.

But if someone else is planning a draft, you still really want to hit your turns 2-4 on curve, it's one of the most consistent ways of winning.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Hearthstone's streamlined game systems likely do contribute to the lack of variety. But that's always been touted as one of its strengths and a major contributing factor to its popularity. I mean, if "staleness" becomes a recurring issue the devs might be forced to evolve the game into something more complex. And that seems like a really risky move to make. I don't mean tacking on new mechanics like Discover or introducing new Tavern Brawl-style modes. I mean things like allowing players to react on their opponents turn, giving minions activated abilities, redoing the combat rules, etc (stuff that other posters have mentioned lol).
    It's not really the mechanics of Hearthstone that contribute to the "lack of versatility" I was talking about, though. It's the card design. Every card just feels so un-impactful and vanilla when you come back to Hearthstone after seeing other CCG-style games.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

28. - Top - End - #178

It's not really the mechanics of Hearthstone that contribute to the "lack of versatility" I was talking about, though. It's the card design. Every card just feels so un-impactful and vanilla when you come back to Hearthstone after seeing other CCG-style games.
    Eh. I feel it's both. 90% of games end up as "how can I optimally clear my opponent's board while retaining presence myself." Giving that power to the attacker rather than letting the defender have the ability to assign damage means that turns are awfully predictable, and often simply solvable with fairly limited variance in acceptable outcomes.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Aren't the two kind of related though? The core mechanics of a game inherently limit card design. Maybe the design philosophies too, but I think the devs have done okay within Hearthstone's limits. Ignoring balance issues.

Just so we're on the same page, can you list some examples of these impactful cards you've seen in other games. Then we have some comparison points.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Aren't the two kind of related though? The core mechanics of a game inherently limit card design. Maybe the design philosophies too, but I think the devs have done okay within Hearthstone's limits. Ignoring balance issues.

Just so we're on the same page, can you list some examples of these impactful cards you've seen in other games. Then we have some comparison points.
    No, there's a difference. Magic has way more complex cards, but has still had extremely stale metagames at times where players got really bored with it and they lost a lot of money from people not enjoying the game. It often results from degenerate decks or certain extremely oppressive strategies. For example, you could point to the pre-nerf pirate package in Hearthstone as a design problem. It's not a boring card, it has a weapon interaction on STB, the completely new Patches effect of flying out of your deck, and a bunch of interactions with other pirates and other minions like totems. Very interesting design, but that early game setup in combination with other aggro cards was making it so that most other strategies just didn't work.

I actually think that it's neither the design nor the overall mechanics, but specific things that lead to decks with very little thought and decision-making.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes