"Well maged."

"Nice to charge you."

"I'd say sorry, but fear it would sound sarcastic."
    Well that was awkward.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Hearthstone 19: Patches In All The Wrong Places

Been having a laugh at low ranks with my Warlock C'Thun deck...which also has Yogg-Saron in it. Win rate is as bad as you'd expect, but tossing out Yogg as a last resort sometimes leads to entertaining results.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Finally got to rank 10 for the first time.

In related news, hello thread, first time poster. I come here because Pirate Warriors is exceedingly frustrating and all I seem to run into around this rank. Any tips for sequencing against them? I just barely got to rank 10 by luck of running into the same (bad, I think?) Pirate Warrior player two games in a row, and he coined out a Fiery War Axe turn one both times letting me stabilize and not get wrecked by an early Small-Time Buccaneer. But when played right (ie, know when to hold onto weapons for massive Bloodsail Coursers and such), the deck seems... really, really stupid. I've started keeping Soulfires against them and Shaman, even without Malchezaar's Imp to pair with it, but otherwise I'm a bit at a loss. Should I slam a turn 1 Voidwalker? Is it a bad idea to do turn 2 Coin->Walker->Demonfire for a 3/5 Taunt, given the risk of Fiery War Axe/Southsea Deckhand just ending that with a turn of effort? Is turn 3 Coin->Walker ->Bloodfury Potion and just pray that the rest of my board can stabilize? If a turn 1 Flame Imp Sticks, is it worth buffing it with Demonfire, or turning that spell to try and kill a Pirate? I had cut out Demonwrath because of how atrocious it was at low rank against most of the field; is it worthwhile to run it to tech against Pirate Warrior?

Any advice any of you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Finally got to rank 10 for the first time.

In related news, hello thread, first time poster. I come here because Pirate Warriors is exceedingly frustrating and all I seem to run into around this rank. Any tips for sequencing against them? I just barely got to rank 10 by luck of running into the same (bad, I think?) Pirate Warrior player two games in a row, and he coined out a Fiery War Axe turn one both times letting me stabilize and not get wrecked by an early Small-Time Buccaneer. But when played right (ie, know when to hold onto weapons for massive Bloodsail Coursers and such), the deck seems... really, really stupid. I've started keeping Soulfires against them and Shaman, even without Malchezaar's Imp to pair with it, but otherwise I'm a bit at a loss. Should I slam a turn 1 Voidwalker? Is it a bad idea to do turn 2 Coin->Walker->Demonfire for a 3/5 Taunt, given the risk of Fiery War Axe/Southsea Deckhand just ending that with a turn of effort? Is turn 3 Coin->Walker ->Bloodfury Potion and just pray that the rest of my board can stabilize? If a turn 1 Flame Imp Sticks, is it worth buffing it with Demonfire, or turning that spell to try and kill a Pirate? I had cut out Demonwrath because of how atrocious it was at low rank against most of the field; is it worthwhile to run it to tech against Pirate Warrior?

Any advice any of you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
    I'd recommend that you first show us a decklist and a general idea of your card pool. From context, you seem to be playing a Demon Zoo kind of deck.

And yes, Pirate Warrior is kind of stupid, although Shaman is still the king of stupid until the rotation.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

Try Dirty Rat? It's pretty good against pirate warrior, being a big, cheap taunt, sometimes denying some of the weapon buffing battlecries. Ideal if you have something to kill four-health minions with (Frothing Berserker...) in your hand when playing it.
    Well that was awkward.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Welcome!

Always good to have more people.
    Rank 10 might not seem like a huge achievement, but IIRC only like 10% of the players get that far.

You can add us to your friend list on the first page, and share your battle tag if you want to be added.

Pirate warrior is indeed very powerful. Maybe not as much as Shaman, but still very strong.

I'll echo the request for a decklist before I give any better advice, anyways:

You seem to be running Zoo lock (minion heavy deck with low mana curve, focused on buffing each other).

Do add Acidic Swamp Ooze(s), as well as Defenders of Argus (but you should already have those).

Buff spells in general are not very strong, because of the risk you mentioned: you put two cards worth of stuff into one minion, and if the opponent manages to kill it using just one card you're disadvantaged.

Demofire is probably the best of it kind, since it s flexible. (Well there's the Druid one that also draws you a card, too)

Anyways, it is usually NOT recommended to play a buff on a minion you just played.
    You want to play the buff on a minion the can attack this turn, so that you ensure you get at least one attack with the buff.

Also, you probably don't want to play blood fury potion, like ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

7. - Top - End - #187

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Rank 10 might not seem like a huge achievement, but IIRC only like 10% of the players get that far.
    Rank 10-Legend is top 7.5%, but I'm fairly sure that statistic includes a lot of inactive accounts and people who don't do Standard.

I'll echo the request for a decklist before I give any better advice, anyways:
    List is:

Spoiler: DiscardDemonLock
    Show
    Flame Imp x2
    Malchezaar's Imp x2
    Power Overwhelming x1
    Soulfire x2
    Voidwalker x2
    Acidic Swamp Ooze x1
    Dark Peddler x2
    Darkshire Librarian x1
    Demonfire x2
    Tiny Knight of Evil x2 (Flex slot; would become Demonwrath)
    Bloodfury Potion x2
    Darkshire Councilman x2
    Imp Gang Boss x2
    Silverware Golem x2
    Crystalweaver x2
    Defender of Argus x1
    Pit Lord x1
    Doomguard x2

Buff spells in general are not very strong, because of the risk you mentioned: you put two cards worth of stuff into one minion, and if the opponent manages to kill it using just one card you're disadvantaged.
    At lower ranks, I'm finding the buff spells a lot more powerful than the Knife Juggler/Forbidden Ritual build—against everything but Pirate Warrior, if nothing else. They allow me to plow through Dragon Priest's Taunt minions, they greatly improve my burst damage at the end of the game, and they're great when turning Voidwalkers or Defender of Argus'd demons into fatties. It's card disadvantage most of the time, sure... but I'm warlock, and have plenty of times played Doomguard without Malchezaar's Imp on the field. Sometimes the Charge, burst, and survivable body are just worth it, and it's not like Soup Tap makes me lack for card advantage most of the time.

Anyways, it is usually NOT recommended to play a buff on a minion you just played.
    You want to play the buff on a minion the can attack this turn, so that you ensure you get at least one attack with the buff.
    I am familiar. On the other hand, Voidwalker (and a lot of my deck) dies to one swing of the Fiery War Axe; a Demonfire'd Void Walker takes the hit and trades with 1-2 things and deals more face damage to the weapon-wielder; a Bloodfury Potion'd one takes the War Axe and two minions to go down at least, letting me keep a thing on the board to stabilize.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    List is:

Spoiler: DiscardDemonLock
    Show
    Flame Imp x2
    Malchezaar's Imp x2
    Power Overwhelming x1
    Soulfire x2
    Voidwalker x2
    Acidic Swamp Ooze x1
    Dark Peddler x2
    Darkshire Librarian x1
    Demonfire x2
    Tiny Knight of Evil x2 (Flex slot; would become Demonwrath)
    Bloodfury Potion x2
    Darkshire Councilman x2
    Imp Gang Boss x2
    Silverware Golem x2
    Crystalweaver x2
    Defender of Argus x1
    Pit Lord x1
    Doomguard x2
    To be honest, I never played Discardlock, so I don't have much experience with the deck. Looking at the decklist, Pit Lord is almost assuredly a bad card if you want to improve your aggro matchup, since it's such a dead card.

Generally, against Pirate Warrior, you either want to kill them before you kill you or heal/taunt your way out of range. Adding another Argus would probably help against Pirate Warrior. You don't want heals because it goes against the purpose of your deck. My only other suggestion is maybe adding a Mortal Coil to ping off the 1 mana pirates.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thought: if I start an Arena run but don't finish it until after Journey to Un'goro releases, does that mean my Arena pack will be from that set? The wiki says "the guaranteed card pack given each run will always be from the most recently released expansion set" but I don't know if the determination is made when you begin the run or at the end.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

I love my new Hunter deck - which I totally stole from Kibler's stream. Small beasts, beast buffs and Hyena combo takes advantage of people not able to deal with Hunters anymore.

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I love my new Hunter deck - which I totally stole from Kibler's stream. Small beasts, beast buffs and Hyena combo takes advantage of people not able to deal with Hunters anymore.
    Basic glances at Hyena decks seem like something I could actually afford—what does your list look like?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    It is actually pretty fun, been playing with a beast/hand buff hunter when I get a hunter quest. Doesn't happen all the time, but any time I get a big rat or hounds into Hyena it's glorious.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

I noticed an unintended way the new rank checkpoints make the ladder easier to climb. I was running an incomplete Jade Druid (arcane Giants, no Fandral/Aya/Ancients) for a quest, but hit two experimental enemy decks (a Secret Paladin and an odd Midrange Pirate Rogue) run by R15s who couldn't lose stars. Shredded them cleanly for both the quest and my own R15 despite the incomplete nature of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    I noticed an unintended way the new rank checkpoints make the ladder easier to climb. I was running an incomplete Jade Druid (arcane Giants, no Fandral/Aya/Ancients) for a quest, but hit two experimental enemy decks (a Secret Paladin and an odd Midrange Pirate Rogue) run by R15s who couldn't lose stars. Shredded them cleanly for both the quest and my own R15 despite the incomplete nature of my own.
    This was actually something I thought about. That the ranked floors would become poorly guarded gates since all the fun and experimental people would naturally end up there.

Also, Secret Paladin? Are you playing Standard or Wild?

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    This was actually something I thought about. That the ranked floors would become poorly guarded gates since all the fun and experimental people would naturally end up there.

Also, Secret Paladin? Are you playing Standard or Wild?
    Standard, if you believe it! Killed him on 8 after dealing with a Challenger by baiting Sacrifice with a hero attack, then overrunning him with jade golems

Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

New Arena: Where your opponent misses lethal because they forgot to calculate spell damage from Azure Drake into their second Kazakus potion and tries to kill Deathwing, Dragonlord instead. The same Deathwing that got stolen by Mind Control and then stolen back by the same.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Just experienced for myself the absurdity of the dragon priest mirror Drakonid Operative circus. Between the two of us we must have played nearly ten copies of that guy. We played to fatigue, and one of my Operatives spied Deathwing in his deck. I just waited for him to drop it then Shadow Word Death for the concede.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you know what is nice? Coming back to Hearthstone after a month and finding yourself low enough to win with your bad decks. So far played a little of wild with no card draw N'zoth paladin and the weird Hunter deck with Hon'Cho, Brann, and Dispatch Kodo.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Oh. So it's heroic brawl this week... Guess I won't be playing then; still don't think it's worth it.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Heroic brawl, but there is an offer on the Blizzard website for a free WotOG pack if you vote for your country's representative to an upcoming tournament.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    Oh. So it's heroic brawl this week... Guess I won't be playing then; still don't think it's worth it.
    I wont as well. This is a poor attempt to get rid of gold in the system before an expansion.

Even if I think my Miracle Malygos Rogue is enough of an anti meta deck towork out 6 wins.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

- Focuses on winning with a 9 mana card
    - calls self anti-meta
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

23. - Top - End - #203

- Focuses on winning with a 9 mana card
    - calls self anti-meta
    Well if the definition of anti meta is opposite of the meta it may be true...
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Voted Ropecoach because he's the only one I even recognize. Go Germany, I guess.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    Voted Ropecoach because he's the only one I even recognize. Go Germany, I guess.
    Which is amusing because he's quit Hearthstone and is playing Gwent.

I voted for Dog, because he's hilarious and plays fun decks on stream. I would have voted for Firebat ("I hate pirates, but I like winning"), but I thought Dog needed the vote more.

I also would have voted for Zalae (poor guy just spent an entire month ramming his head against the wall trying to make Legend with only hunter) and Amnesiasc (Hearthstone needs a good villain).

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Which is amusing because he's quit Hearthstone and is playing Gwent.

I voted for Dog, because he's hilarious and plays fun decks on stream. I would have voted for Firebat ("I hate pirates, but I like winning"), but I thought Dog needed the vote more.

I also would have voted for Zalae (poor guy just spent an entire month ramming his head against the wall trying to make Legend with only hunter) and Amnesiasc (Hearthstone needs a good villain).
    I voted Amnesiac for much the same reason. I think it's going to be him, Firebat, and Dog for the US.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

I picked Hotform for Canada, for no particular reason besides that I recognise the name. My fiance picked Dog for the US because she likes dogs.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

For some reason the game think I'm British (which I'm not) and made me vote for a British guy. Didn't know any of them, voted at random.

Still got a pack I guess
    So yeah. your wrong.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    I hate his style of roping and I live in Germany. Boo Germany....

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

For some reason the game think I'm British (which I'm not) and made me vote for a British guy. Didn't know any of them, voted at random.

Still got a pack I guess
    I would have voted for J4CKIECHAN. He posted a rap song to Youtube and is a deck pioneer. His most famous non-standard deck is Egg Druid and I think he also pioneered or at least helped perfect Yogg Druid.