New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

confused The first fictional universe?

I just had a discussion about how Tolkien was the first one to bring a completely fictional universe into popular culture, and how Middle-Earth is actually supposed to be the mythic past of the real world.

And that had me thinking who actually created the first fantasy setting in which Earth does not exist, never existed, and never will exist?

It's not Conan by Howard.
    It's not Hyperborea by Smith.
    It's not Elric by Moorcock.
    It's not Shannnara by Brooks.
    It's not Star Wars by Lucas.
    It's not Wheel of Time by Jordan.
    All AD&D settings are in the same multiverse, and Forgotten Realms had actual Egyptians and Tyr travel there through portals from Earth.

The oldest setting of which I am reasonably certain that it does not share any connection to Earth is The Elder Scrolls from 1994. Anyone know an example that goes further back than that?
    Last edited by Yora; 2019-12-06 at 03:28 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The first fictional universe?

I doubt it was the first first, but Lord Dunsany had a fictional fantasy universe dating back to 1905 -- called Pegana. Unlike most previous works, it had no portal fantasy elements or some kind of fantastical reinterpretation of Earth History which makes it something of an anomaly at the time.

As a universe it's somewhere between ancient Greece but with a fully original pantheon and stories attached to them that more mirror the horror style which would be later associated with HP Lovecraft, who drew inspiration from it.

There's also The Worm Ouroboros by Eddison, which is pretty much heroic high fantasy as the genre is understood today - although the setting is technically Mercury for some reason, and is a fantastical revision of Earth in truth - dates back to about a decade before Howard appeared.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2019-12-06 at 03:50 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Maybe The Well at the World's End from 1896 by William Morris. but it must have been 30 years since I read it, and I could be mistaken. Medievalish setting, but no connection to real places as far as I remember. Other than that, I agree about Dunsany's Pegana stories.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Maybe The Well at the World's End from 1896 by William Morris. but it must have been 30 years since I read it, and I could be mistaken. Medievalish setting, but no connection to real places as far as I remember. Other than that, I agree about Dunsany's Pegana stories.
    You beat me to it! TVTropes' "Constructed World" trope mentions William Morris as the "creator of the modern 'invented world' fantasy", and it inspired both Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. The Wood Beyond the World is 1894, so it precedes Well by good two years.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    The oldest setting of which I am reasonably certain that it does not share any connection to Earth is The Elder Scrolls from 1994. Anyone know an example that goes further back than that?
    What about Hyrule?
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

There are some arguments to suggest that Earth exists in The Elder Scrolls and that those who achieve CHIM become aware they are characters in a video game. So Earth does exist, simply in a way that has almost zero bearing on the story. Though I always forget if those ramblings made it into the game or if that's unofficial Kirkbride musings.

Depending on how you define 'universe', consider stuff like Dr. Seuss. Small, self-contained stories may be your best bet for finding a story that doesn't relate to Earth.
    Last edited by No brains; 2019-12-07 at 05:02 PM. Reason: grammar error
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure that for the purposes of establishing a completely invented setting, there's a meaningful difference between a setting in which Earth does not exist (like the Elder Scrolls, apparently), and a setting in which Earth does exist somewhere but is never mentioned, visited or involved in the story in any meaningful way (like Star Wars). Both of them are still entirely original creations.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I'm not sure that for the purposes of establishing a completely invented setting, there's a meaningful difference between a setting in which Earth does not exist (like the Elder Scrolls, apparently), and a setting in which Earth does exist somewhere but is never mentioned, visited or involved in the story in any meaningful way (like Star Wars). Both of them are still entirely original creations.
    Yeah, I agree with this. Especially since with some works, such as Glen Cook's Black Company or Garrett, PI stories it's not really even made clear if the setting is a past or future Earth, or a completely different place (unless I missed/ have forgotten something).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Especially when you've got the inventiveness of flat world (which might be an actual contender, you have the sphere which may be from our world and the person being written to) or Lucian's "True Stories"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Yeah, I agree with this. Especially since with some works, such as Glen Cook's Black Company or Garrett, PI stories it's not really even made clear if the setting is a past or future Earth, or a completely different place (unless I missed/ have forgotten something).
    I have seen the film,maybe that's what ang lee meant,of course I don't know.