Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 142930313233343536373839
Results 1,141 to 1,148 of 1148
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Now, as to anything AFTER the first arc: I hear you. Because dear GOD does the quality drop. There's still redeemable stuff (like Suzuha's tragic romance), but you really have to pick it out. In fact, one of my personal headcanons is that after getting Asuna out the show ends, because neither would ever want anything to do with VR again.

Still though...that initial Aincrad arc remains high in my regard for great storytelling. I understand not liking it, but that isn't going to change the fact that I loved it. And searching for some arcane psychological reason for why other people also liked it seems like a pointless exercise to me.
    I think a big part of what worked in the Aincrad arc is also a big part of what failed for the rest of the show, or at least as far as I was able to make myself watch. The first arc spends a lot of its time playing with Chosen One / Mary Sue archetypes and ruthlessly shredding them. Kirito isn't actually special. He had some advance knowledge, lucked out against the first boss, and it set up a cascade that kept pushing him towards this incredibly dumb confrontation that Kayaba was obsessed with. Kayaba had this whole script for how he thought the world should work, and he wanted Kirito to be his big Mary Sue hero, but the truth was that seeing people die and being isolated was really harmful to Kirito's psyche so he kept not doing it.

And then in the end, it all falls apart on Kayaba because people aren't predictable, Kirito triggers the confrontation early, Asuna messes the whole thing up and Kirito manages to win despite it being technically impossible because Kayaba's game was a mess interacting with people's brains directly.

Only then, every other arc forgets that Kirito is not actually a superhuman badass. The other arcs turn him into the Super-Person that the first arc is doubting the very idea of, Kayaba's dumb dream gets re-framed as being somehow noble or worthwhile instead of murderous and impossible, and the harem elements get dialed up to 11 while the ladies lose all their agency. It was very frustrating to me.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    I think a big part of what worked in the Aincrad arc is also a big part of what failed for the rest of the show, or at least as far as I was able to make myself watch. The first arc spends a lot of its time playing with Chosen One / Mary Sue archetypes and ruthlessly shredding them. Kirito isn't actually special. He had some advance knowledge, lucked out against the first boss, and it set up a cascade that kept pushing him towards this incredibly dumb confrontation that Kayaba was obsessed with. Kayaba had this whole script for how he thought the world should work, and he wanted Kirito to be his big Mary Sue hero, but the truth was that seeing people die and being isolated was really harmful to Kirito's psyche so he kept not doing it.

And then in the end, it all falls apart on Kayaba because people aren't predictable, Kirito triggers the confrontation early, Asuna messes the whole thing up and Kirito manages to win despite it being technically impossible because Kayaba's game was a mess interacting with people's brains directly.

Only then, every other arc forgets that Kirito is not actually a superhuman badass. The other arcs turn him into the Super-Person that the first arc is doubting the very idea of, Kayaba's dumb dream gets re-framed as being somehow noble or worthwhile instead of murderous and impossible, and the harem elements get dialed up to 11 while the ladies lose all their agency. It was very frustrating to me.
    I actually hadn't thought of a lot of that, but that's brilliant analysis.

One thing I quite liked about SAO: Alternative is that the show makes very clear in the first couple episodes that Llenn isn't anywhere near as superhuman in real life - she specced her character cleverly to match her abilities. She can't hit the broad side of a barn, and even at close range she has to use the aim-assist the game provides. So, she sticks all her points into Dex to become incredibly fast and relies on ambush tactics to get the drop on other players. She makes up for her terrible aim by using a bullet hose SMG at point-blank range. And when it comes to actual military strategy she's hopeless, relying on M to analyze tactical situations.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2019-02-12 at 11:32 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Superhero in the Playground Moderator

A new one: Will Ferrell's live action character from The Lego Movie is also Will Ferrell's character from Stranger than Fiction.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    API Anthology 1 from Drivethru RPG.
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Cant be, Will Ferrell's live action character from the Lego Movie is Will Ferrell's Buddy from Elf.

Just in case Spoilers.
    Spoiler: even if both movies are a few years old.
    Show
    the Lego Movie is a sequel to Elf, and The Man Upstairs is an older Buddy. After having a child and becoming successful in the publishing industry with his father (as shown at the end of Elf), he is driven to possess a basement full of his own Lego creations and a desire to glue them together the way he likes them instead of risking them getting broken at the hands of his child. He gradually loses touch with his Christmas Spirit due to the pressures of work and parenthood, but his son helps him rediscover the joys of creativity and childish imagination with Lego!
    Married 6 years! 7-29-12

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Troll in the Playground

Offscreen Jon Arbuckle is an abusive pet owner who takes out his frustrations with work on his pets and that is why Garfield hates mondays

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Offscreen Jon Arbuckle is an abusive pet owner who takes out his frustrations with work on his pets and that is why Garfield hates mondays
    That would require Garfield to exist.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Ogre in the Playground

this may not be kinda head cannon but if you consider star wars as wuxia setting its kinda answers why Luke can do things other force users can't as all force users use same cultivation method regardless of compatibility when Anakin and Sidious killed their respective sides luke ended up with unique opportunity to cultivate with truly compatible style for him thus he became the most powerful force user in the setting. this also answers why Rey has instant mastery over lightsaber as her unknown inner cultivation suits the external cultivation of lightsaber combat. as for harem art online kirito is basically cultivating harem with each new mmo and alcalization arc kinda explains why he is good in games / how he can beat guys stronger then him entire alcalization arc kinda teaches him how to use the sword in his unique style and integrates his exeptional reflexes into his combat style in wuixia terms kirito has good internal cutivation but lacks external cultivation and alcalization kinda solves by downloading the damn info into his soul allowing him to get to his proper power level
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I think you're thinking Xianxia not wuxia (even though Star wars is more wuxia) Cultivation novels are high powered stuff.
    but also they're is shockingly the most lazy genre you can find in a comic book. I really like the concept and a few pull it off and some I'd say are good, but somehow it just seems to be wave upon wave of trash-tier comics. Even Issekai comes with more originality.

My headcannon is that nobody reads comics in china so the lack of originality is not really an obstacle, or perhaps they only read comics from their own region of china...
    But they seriously copy eachother mercilesly and often focus entirely on one OP character finding contrived ways to be more OP. They use the same tropes and it feels really juvenile a lot of the time....