New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default What's your favorite headcanon?

Every series only has a finite amount of space/time to tell their story, so there are always aspects for the fans to wonder about. They will often try to piece together the disparate bits of data into a workable theory that make the series make more sense, but are conjecture nonetheless.

Headcanon.

What's your favorite piece of feasible conjecture to a series? Mine involves Star Wars and is as follows: The Jedi are (in the Legends continuity, at least) responsible for all the war and destruction in the star wars universe. Spoilered for length.

Spoiler
    Show
    Back in what the Legends continuity calls the "Dawn of the Jedi", the Je'daii (precursors to the Jedi and possibly the Sith) were a sect of Force users that sought balance between light and darkness; they believed that only venerating one aspect of the force led to an incomplete picture of it. We know that going too deep into the Dark Side can twist the wielder, both physically (as it did to Palpatine/Sideous) and emotionally (as it did with Anakin). We know that the Sith generally tried to keep their numbers low, while the Jedi were numerous. And we know that, at the beginning of the prequel trilogy, the Jedi were getting weaker as the Sith began to rise with the Force being "out of balance". With this data, I have made the following theory:

At some point, the Je'daii, noticed that going to heavy into the Dark side had a tendency to corrupt the user in both body and soul, but being deep into the Light had no such side effects. They then, either as a whole or by splitting into two major factions (whether the Sith were an offshoot of the Je'daii or a separate group that had its own Dark side force tradition depends on the author), decided to forsake the darkness for the light.

This led into an unforeseen problem: with so many now only being Light side, this disturbed the balance. By having so many Light side users, they kept unbalancing the force until the only way for it to correct itself was to exert force (if you'll forgive the pun) in the other direction. this led to the rise of the Sith and the wars that followed. Many times, in fact.. In each conflict, more and more Jedi would die or turn to the Dark side, thus evening out the balance and eventually, through hard work and determination of both Force adepts and not, letting the defender emerge victorious (The Chronic Backstabbing Disorder that the Sith were prone too may have also been a factor).

Anakin was just the latest in a trend that dates back millennia; the Jedi were always doomed.

What are your favorites?

EDIT: Fixed the spelling in the title post, as I walked into that one...
    Last edited by digiman619; 2017-02-17 at 04:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcannon?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

Every series only has a finite amount of space/time to tell their story, so there are always aspects for the fans to wonder about. They will often try to piece together the disparate bits of data into a workable theory that make the series make more sense, but are conjecture nonetheless.

Headcanon.

What's your favorite piece of feasible conjecture to a series? Mine involves Star Wars and is as follows: The Jedi are (in the Legends continuity, at least) responsible for all the war and destruction in the star wars universe. Spoilered for length.

Spoiler
    Show
    Back in what the Legends continuity calls the "Dawn of the Jedi", the Je'daii (precursors to the Jedi and possibly the Sith) were a sect of Force users that sought balance between light and darkness; they believed that only venerating one aspect of the force led to an incomplete picture of it. We know that going too deep into the Dark Side can twist the wielder, both physically (as it did to Palpatine/Sideous) and emotionally (as it did with Anakin). We know that the Sith generally tried to keep their numbers low, while the Jedi were numerous. And we know that, at the beginning of the prequel trilogy, the Jedi were getting weaker as the Sith began to rise with the Force being "out of balance". With this data, I have made the following theory:

At some point, the Je'daii, noticed that going to heavy into the Dark side had a tendency to corrupt the user in both body and soul, but being deep into the Light had no such side effects. They then, either as a whole or by splitting into two major factions (whether the Sith were an offshoot of the Je'daii or a separate group that had its own Dark side force tradition depends on the author), decided to forsake the darkness for the light.

This led into an unforeseen problem: with so many now only being Light side, this disturbed the balance. By having so many Light side users, they kept unbalancing the force until the only way for it to correct itself was to exert force (if you'll forgive the pun) in the other direction. this led to the rise of the Sith and the wars that followed. Many times, in fact.. In each conflict, more and more Jedi would die or turn to the Dark side, thus evening out the balance and eventually, through hard work and determination of both Force adepts and not, letting the defender emerge victorious (The Chronic Backstabbing Disorder that the Sith were prone too may have also been a factor).

Anakin was just the latest in a trend that dates back millennia; the Jedi were always doomed.

What are your favorites?

EDIT: Fixed the spelling in the title post, as I walked into that one...
    I humbly agree with you mate

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Star Wars was fully completed in 1998. (And Dark Empire never happened.)

Shepard was vaporized by the giant reaper laser that can one-shot kill cruisers in Mass Effect 3. There's no way to survive such a hit with nothing but body armor and everything that happened after that makes no sense.

Spoiler: Dark Souls 1
    Show
    Knight Solaire is the firstborn son of Gwyn. It just makes way too much sense.

Ghaunadaur is Juiblex.

And Event Horizon is a prequel to Warhammer 40k.
    Last edited by Yora; 2017-02-17 at 09:41 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

If Ghaunadaur is Juiblex, how do you explain that Juiblex is pretty much explicitely the most pathetic and weak of demon lords, while Ghaunadaur is a full god?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Airbenders in Avatar: The Last Airbender have the abilities and the skillset of highly trained fighters, assassins and killers. The pacifism is intentional aspect of their culture, meant to temper their capabilities with wisdom to use them only when they absolutely have to. Fire Nation suffered extremely heavy casualties when they first attacked, which is why the war dragged on for so long.
    Reasoning: their element is available everywhere, it can't be restricted, limited or prohibited from any space where humans want to live in, it's silent and invisible, it can be used to cut, shield & redirect, airbenders are fast and can get to places normal humans can't even when most of them can't fly. It's based on the martial art of baguazhang, which has some wicked bladed weapons (see mandarin duck knife aka one-handed bat'leth). Plus the pile of skeletons in the first Air Temple visited in the original series, and certain things that happened in later seasons of Korra.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

They took the phrase "There Can be Only One" seriously.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I also like the idea that the Archdemons in Dragon Age are the disappeared elven gods. Though I am not fully up to date with the series and don't know if this has been proven wrong yet.

But it should be true!
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I am fine.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Jedi are (in the Legends continuity, at least) responsible for all the war and destruction in the star wars universe. Spoilered for length.
    The problem with that is that it treats the Force as something that has a "light" and a "dark" side which must be in balance. There is no light side - there is the Force, which is balance and harmony, and the Dark Side, which is lack of balance. EU sources may state otherwise, but there's a reason they are EU, as in non-canon.

I don't have serious headcanons so here's a silly one:

Samurai Flamenco, One Punch Man, and My Hero Academia all take place in one universe - in this order chronologically. There's way too many inconsistencies to seriously consider it, but it's just an amusing thought.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I also like the idea that the Archdemons in Dragon Age are the disappeared elven gods. Though I am not fully up to date with the series and don't know if this has been proven wrong yet.

But it should be true!
    Sadly, they have an alibi as of Inquisition's Tresspasser DLC.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Headcanon!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post

But it should be true!
    The evidence suggests but does not in any way confirm something very similar.

Spoiler
    Show

The elven gods were just really powerful mages that learned how to body hop and become essentially immortal. Even more Immortal than the normal elves.

The elven gods were all locked up in the Fade at the end of the Elven Age.

Basically, every ability attributed to the Tevinter Gods has been done by an Elven mage in some way or another which leads some folk to believe that they were more of the same, just extremely powerful mages with a penchant for shape shifting and blood sacrifices.

Anyway, personal headcanons would just be comics in general but Batman in particular. I love a good comic but let's be clear here, there is a lot of stupid crap in them. Before New52 came in and obliterated the thing. I had my own personal Batman canon picking and choosing which stories counted which to ignore. I even had a semi-decent timeline going that was only mildly self contradictory.

14. - Top - End - #14

Ahem.tencharacters

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    The problem with that is that it treats the Force as something that has a "light" and a "dark" side which must be in balance. There is no light side - there is the Force, which is balance and harmony, and the Dark Side, which is lack of balance. EU sources may state otherwise, but there's a reason they are EU, as in non-canon.
    With respect, the dark side is explicitly referred to as an aspect of the Force. Multiple times. In the movies, not just the EU. Even disregarding every non-film source, the Force has always been depicted as two sided thing. In the most recent film, Kylo Ren mentions being drawn to the Light side, and it's explicitly canon. The dark side may represent chaos and entropy. but guess what? Those are actual important aspects of the universe, and without them, reality would not exist.

It seems to me that you're lionizing the Jedi, and feel affronted that anything bad could come from them and/or anything negative that did is the Dark side's fault, but good things can have bad consequences, and vice versa. The entire SW universe exists in the dynamic tension between these two forces, and suggesting that getting rid of one of them fixes anything seems shortsighted at best.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

One of my favourites is a little piece of dot-connecting from the Magic: The Gathering storyline:

Fallen Empires is one of the game's earliest expansions. It's obscure and not very popular, since it has a well-deserved reputation for being underpowered. However, the storyline for the set is actually really strong. As the name suggests, it involved the collapse of the main empires on the Dominarian continent of Sarpadia. One of these empires was the kingdom of the dwarves. Dwarves are actually something of a rarity in Magic, since they generally compete with goblins for the small Red creature slots in a set and generally lose out to the more popular and philosophically-fitting gobbos. Unfortunately for the Sarpadian dwarves, the Fallen Empires storyline essentially played this tension out in-universe as they found themselves overrun and slaughtered to the last dwarf by legions of invading orcs and goblins. It's a real downer ending, and dwarves largely disappeared from Magic for a long time afterwards.

Fast forward several years in the real world and several millennia within the setting. During Apocalypse, the climax of the epic Weatherlight Saga in which Dominaria was being invaded by Phyrexian cyborg-zombies led by the mad god Yawgmoth, a random group of dwarven stone druids suddenly turned up tunneling underneath the Phyrexian Stronghold. They hadn't been allied with any of the major Dominarian factions, but had sensed the threat to the world and had quietly set about causing a dormant volcano to erupt in order to destroy the Stronghold and cleanse the Phyrexian evil. They didn't manage to stop Yawgmoth from entering Dominaria, but they did manage to destroy the Stronghold and the planar portal inside it, preventing Yawgmoth from being able to flee back to Phyrexia when the Weatherlight crew used the Legacy Weapon against him. Yawgmoth was destroyed, the Phyrexians were defeated and the world was saved.

Canonically, there's nothing linking the Sarpadian dwarves with the stone druids. However, one version of the obscure and unremarkable Fallen Empires card Dwarven Soldier has the flavour text "There is a legend among present-day Dwarves that the Dwarves of Sarpadia will one day return to defend Dwarvenkind against a deadly peril." My headcanon is that those stone druids were the distant descendants of the Sarpadian Dwarves and fulfilled that legend by helping save Dominaria during its darkest hour.
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

1. Darth Vader is not a cyborg teenager. He could lift men one-handed because he simply is that badass.
      Spoiler
      Show
      Though I am stunned no one has filmed 'I was a Teenage Cyborg' yet.
      edit: nevermind
    2. The Republic actually fell decades before Luke was born. His father (more on this later) was born shortly before the Empire took over and fought against them from the time he was a teenager until his death in his 40s.
    3. Luke was born around the time of his father's death AT THE HANDS OF DARTH VADER ("From a certain point of view" my ass).
    4. Darth Vader was not Luke's father. He killed Anakin because he was just that badass.
    5. Leia was not Luke's sister. Otherwise the tongue kiss from TESB is just *eccccchhh*.
    6. The Clone Wars was actually a long-running struggle against clone armies, not 45 seconds of Jedi getting bushwhacked.
    7. Jedi don't wear brown robes. Obi-Wan the desert hermit wore them.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by oudeis View Post
    The Clone Wars was actually a long-running struggle against clone armies, not 45 seconds of Jedi getting bushwhacked.
    I always thought 'the clones were the bad guys' was the stupidest and most boring interpretation of "during the Clone Wars". Clones vs Droids wasn't great but it at least was more inventive than the unstated canon it was supposedly contradicting.

In the most recent film, Kylo Ren mentions being drawn to the Light side, and it's explicitly canon. The dark side may represent chaos and entropy. but guess what? Those are actual important aspects of the universe, and without them, reality would not exist.
    Kylo Ren being the first film character to say "the light side" when that had been avoided as a phrase outside of the EU is just one of the many areas where TFU was a waste of time.

That film really was "lets throw out the good bits of the EU so we can make a film with all of the worst bits" while at the same time ignoring all world building consistency to the point that they retroactively stuffed the previous films with plot holes.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2017-02-17 at 06:33 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Wars are commonly named for the enemy you are fighting or after the combatant nations, i.e., the Punic wars (Rome vs Carthage), the French and Indian war (Britain and Colonies vs guess who), Napoleonic Wars (Europe vs the big N), the Franco-Prussian wars, etc.

edit- clarity
    Last edited by oudeis; 2017-02-17 at 07:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

The Borg Queen is an assimilated Q.

In TNG: "Q Who", Q provokes the Borg. In VOY: "Q2", Q instructs his son in no uncertain terms, "DON'T PROVOKE THE BORG". Sometime between the one and the other, he must have learned that the Borg are somehow a real threat to the Q -- perhaps because they successfully assimilated one.

This also explains the differences in behavior of the Borg in their early TNG appearances from their behavior in First Contact and Voyager: A Q is so powerful that the newly-assimilated Q managed to hijack control of the Collective and twist it to her own ends, and the Borg started doing her agenda instead of their own.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

The movie E.T. is about a gang of semi-competent alien drug smugglers trying to sneak onto a protected planet to poach some natively-occurring illicit substances, in a spaceship which they probably stole. When they fled at the sight of men with flashlights approaching, it was because they thought the authorities were onto them. E.T. spent most of the movie stoned out of his head, and when he finally sobered enough to send a message to his companions, the actual contents of that message was "Come back and get me, or I'll rat all of you out to the feds".

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

By not reading the Big Volume 3 of The Walking Dead comic, Rick and company have settled in Alexandria, made friends with Hilltop, and live happily as possible ever after rebuilding society. There is no Neegan.

The original V television series never happened. V is only the two miniseries. New V is just a fan-fic. Doesn't count for anything, though I did like it.

There is no new Star Trek timeline. The planets Vulcan and Romulus are just fine.

Pex lives!

The Jedi do, in fact, return. There is peace in the galaxy. Nothing awoke. Han shot first.

Never saw Terminator Genesis, so it doesn't exist.

Marty and Jennifer have a better 2015.

The kids get home from the realm of Dungeons & Dragons.

The pylons in the sky align just right again allowing Will, Holly, and Uncle Jack to use the pylon on the ground Holly discovered a year earlier to get back home. They give a tearful goodbye to Chaka who remains with Ta and Sa. They reunite with depressed Dad Marshall who was unable to convince anyone where he and the kids were despite further expeditions at the waterfall.

Dirk Dastardly finally does win a Wacky Race.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Dirk Dastardly finally does win a Wacky Race.
    The last one did actually happen; they just gave him a crappy prize a karma.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    There is no new Star Trek timeline. The planets Vulcan and Romulus are just fine.
    This is... actually true? I'm pretty sure?
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

25. - Top - End - #25

GnomePirate

In the Harry Potter universe, magic makes crazy. That's why the entire wizarding world is filled with lunatics and barely functions. The more powerful the wizard, the weirder. It also explains why all of them (even the muggle borns) fail to use simple technology: not because "magic hampers technology", but because "magic hampers someone's ability to understand technology", i.e. makes you crazy.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

'Sons of Anarchy' actually ends with Ethan Zobelle (from Season 2) being informed of Jax's death. He wanders over to a wall of photos of the Sons who were responsible for the death of his daughter, with those who have died with a line through them, he draws a line through Jax's photo and muses aloud about whether he should kill the few remaining or simply wait from to die like the others.
    Or a police chief is assigned to Charming who isn't an idiot or utterly corrupt and they're all arrested and sentenced to long terms.
    Either's good
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

27. - Top - End - #27

The Fairy that curses the Prince in Disney's Beauty and the Beast (animated) is Maleficent, or someone very much like her.

This one actually goes into a bit more depth, but please bear in mind that I haven't actually watched either movie in probably upwards of a decade.

Spoiler
    Show
    Beauty and the Beast presents a couple problems from a world-building perspective, as I discovered when I first started imagining the sequel, where Belle and the Prince must navigate the cutthroat world of French Court Politics while France goes through a steampunk revolution. First, when does it even take place? Sometime in France between blunderbusses and chainsaws, but that's not important now.

What's more of an interesting question is- how the hell did everyone not already know about the Beast? The castle is apparently no more than a night's good mobbing away from the village. Did everyone just forget, in the course of ten years, the major center of wealth and occupation in the area? Plus, I don't know the details of French nobility in the time period between blunderbusses and chainsaws, but it seems like Prince should have been a high enough rank that someone would have come looking when he and his whole household suddenly vanished.

Also, why did he have a magic mirror? Where did that come from?

Clearly the only answer is that he was a French prince at all. My theory is that he was the heir to some foreign power (England), probably with a French mother, sent to live in France because of some threat to his life. The notable absence of his parents tends to suggest that this threat proved extremely valid. Probably a rebellion against their dealings with the Fair Folk, one of whom probably gave them that magic mirror as a wedding gift (all the other magic in Beauty and the Beast seems to stem directly from that one fairy).

Anyways, he arrives in France, bringing a substantial part of the staff for the castle with him from England and picking up a few more in France (hence why only a couple of the castle staff seem to have French accents/names).

Fairly soon after his arrival, this fugitive Prince brattily, but not entirely unreasonably refuses to admit an old woman to his castle. My theory is that this was the same fairy who had given his parents the magic mirror, which somewhat explains her rage. She is, by the laws of her people, entitled to hospitality from any member of the family.

Still, the spell is pretty brutal. I mean, "You're going to die if you don't find true love in ten years," is a pretty harsh sentence to lay on an eleven year old, even without following it up with, "Also you're giant and fanged and furry, and pretty much everyone you've ever known is furniture now."

Hmm. Have we met a fairy before with a tendency to lay overly harsh curses in response to quasi-elaborate social slights? I think we may have.

Of course, none of this gets into the deep mystery of Beauty and the Beast. How the hell did that bookstore stay open in a town where everyone except Belle and Maurice seemed to view books as entirely pointless?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I generally don't do headcanon, and I am usually irritated by it in general, especially when it flies into what actually is WOG or at least clearly hinted at.

In fact I have hard time coming up with any, really. Small stuff like my FO4 character being ex JAG instead of merely a lawyer but no big ones.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

29. - Top - End - #29

Darth Vader was always a lot stronger in the Force than the Emperor, even when forced to use prostheses. However, the Emperor was leeching on him as long as he obeyed him, making himself stronger at his expenses, and Vader was too full of self loathing, or too busy hating, to realize this. When Vader saved Luke, the Emperor couldn't stop Vader or save himself because he lost largest part of his power. Otherwise, I didn't get why a force user that powerful couldn't just levitate himself or his clothes out of the hole, since Yoda could fly airplanes.

The Matrix is set in the future of Terminator.

BTW, I like the idea of Ben Kenobi using robes for practical needs in the desert. We see that many in the desert are dressed like that, Luke's family for example. It's weird that all Jedis are dressed like Tatooiners. And Luke in the third movie is dressed in a different way, and always is when he appears in the games. I actually get the feeling that Lucas forgot where the clothing style came from, or he just decided that it was too cool or characteristic to give it up.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2017-02-18 at 05:22 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

The story of Naruto as we know it is not the story as it "really happened"--it's a mythic retelling, viewed from far in the future of the setting, based on the actions of real people, but greatly distorted by time and dramatic license. This helps explain the insane power level it gets up to (in my mind, the "real" shinobi of the setting have always been far weaker than those we see in the story), and the nonsensical personalities and actions of the characters.