New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    So you play the Sole Survivor origin then?
    I don't remember, I think it was the one with Batarian slavers involved.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    So you play the Sole Survivor origin then?
    I don't remember, I think it was the one with Batarian slavers involved.
    Well, whatever it was, it mean they were the only type of person who could protect the galaxy! (https://youtu.be/2a27IdajHUU?t=24)

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A gun is considerably more dangerous than a watch though; I'd imagine the wizards would have planned specifically for something that makes Muggles/No-majs that lethal.
    Most wizards are arrogant in the extreme when it comes to muggles. Furthermore, we know from Prisoner of Azkaban that most of them literally do not understand what a gun is or how it works, they care that little about what muggles can do to them.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #274
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Most wizards are arrogant in the extreme when it comes to muggles. Furthermore, we know from Prisoner of Azkaban that most of them literally do not understand what a gun is or how it works, they care that little about what muggles can do to them.
    Yeah them fire legs are real dangerous, mister I collect plugs and batteries is an expert on that sort of thing. :p
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah them fire legs are real dangerous, mister I collect plugs and batteries is an expert on that sort of thing. :p
    I cant tell if youre conceding that particular point, or sarcastically refuting it. In case its the latter, I was thinking of the daily prophet article on Sirius Black that had to describe what a gun is and what it meant to muggles, and it still didn't really get it right.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #276

Yeah im conceding just how ridiculous it is that even the so called expert on muggles is utterly clueless about muggle life. And that he still knows more than most purebloods.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah im conceding just how ridiculous it is that even the so called expert on muggles is utterly clueless about muggle life. And that he still knows more than most purebloods.
    That's always been something I've disliked in Harry Potter, because it seemed only to exists for 3rd Rock From the Sun-style gags.

Wizards having an anachronistic and passing familiarity with pop culture could be quaintly charming, but the level of ignorance to mundane contemporary civilization is something I'd expect more from a literal time travelers or parallel-world high fantasy characters and not people living in 90's-to-early-00's United Kingdom. Even if they're somewhat pocketed away, that's going into M. Night Shyamalan's The Village territory.

They seem entirely comfortable with the thought of enchanted trains, double-decker buses, elevators, photography, and numerous other magical society appropriations of 19th-21st century life that appear throughout the series but the still older invention of firearms is apparently beyond their ken? It's not like guns have made central appearances in every human conflict and countless cultural depictions for centuries now or anything.

8. - Top - End - #278

Yeah, oddly anachronistic worlds is something that pops up in a lot of fiction. Take naruto for example. There they have electricity, trains, batteries, computers, cameras, tv sets, even airships. And yet they rely on horse drawn carriages, messenger birds, and keep things written on scrolls. The Boruto offshoot has advanced further, emails, cell phones, etc. I think part of the problem with harry potter can be connected to the source of many of its other issues. It started out as a kids book, then became more and more adult as the series progressed, creating all sorts of odd situations that made the world darker (and dumber) than she may have intended. Which explains the last couple decades spent patching holes and fleshing out characters in various discussion panels and whatnot.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Spamalot in the Playground

I agree - but is that sheer stupidity/ignorance, or have guns been neutered so long with respect to wizards that they are viewed as being as dangerous as chicken pox? In short, has anyone tried shooting a wizard in recent history?

That's where the headcanon comes into play - if guns are seen as harmless, and wizards aren't all simply morons, then why?

Also, *points at sig*
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-04-13 at 09:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I agree - but is that sheer stupidity/ignorance, or have guns been neutered so long with respect to wizards that they are viewed as being as dangerous as chicken pox? In short, has anyone tried shooting a wizard in recent history?

That's where the headcanon comes into play - if guns are seen as harmless, and wizards aren't all simply morons, then why?

Also, *points at sig*
    Didn't someone mention earlier in the threat that JKR basically came out and said "yeah, if anyone were to actually try shooting a wizard, the wizard is hosed"?

Heck, it comes up in the very first book that most wizards are flashy, impractical, and pretty darn dense. They don't have logic and they don't have much problem solving skills (probably because they don't teach those at Hogwarts).
    Last edited by Keltest; 2017-04-13 at 09:57 AM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Didn't someone mention earlier in the threat that JKR basically came out and said "yeah, if anyone were to actually try shooting a wizard, the wizard is hosed"?
    That claim gets thrown around a lot, but for some reason nobody seems to know who she said it to at what time under what circumstances. Indeed, nobody seems to know the actual quote, and it is always paraphrased in some way. Going by the evidence, it appears to be that she never said it in the first place.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    That's always been something I've disliked in Harry Potter, because it seemed only to exists for 3rd Rock From the Sun-style gags.

Wizards having an anachronistic and passing familiarity with pop culture could be quaintly charming, but the level of ignorance to mundane contemporary civilization is something I'd expect more from a literal time travelers or parallel-world high fantasy characters and not people living in 90's-to-early-00's United Kingdom. Even if they're somewhat pocketed away, that's going into M. Night Shyamalan's The Village territory.

They seem entirely comfortable with the thought of enchanted trains, double-decker buses, elevators, photography, and numerous other magical society appropriations of 19th-21st century life that appear throughout the series but the still older invention of firearms is apparently beyond their ken? It's not like guns have made central appearances in every human conflict and countless cultural depictions for centuries now or anything.
    The Purebloods or those who grew up in largely magic homes don't have much of any idea of the outside world, including basic healthcare - remember, they listened with intrigue and horror when Hermoine explained what dentists do. While guns may show up in every Muggle conflict for hundreds of years, Wizards and Witches largely haven't experienced them, outside of those who were part of those conflicts... and they view the wand as superior in almost every form.

As an example, look at our own views on things like bows. Getting shot by an arrow can still be deadly, bows are still in existence and use, we have movies and TV shows about people using them to great effect, yet if you ask the average first world person if they could use it as a weapon for self-defense, the response would be along the lines of "I guess, but why?" because we have guns... which we view as superior in almost every form.

My son is 5, and is growing up in urban to suburban America today, probably won't have firsthand knowledge of a slaughterhouse, and likely won't ever wash his own clothes by hand. Depending on how technology progresses, he may never need to get a driver's license, may never own a car, because there's a distinct possibility that he won't have to - even though both of those things were huge milestones in my own life. That's a difference that's a bit mind-boggling, and it's a single-generational difference. The worlds of Muggles vs magic-users are not only beyond that level of different per generation, but often several generations deep, and that distance will compound.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    The Purebloods or those who grew up in largely magic homes don't have much of any idea of the outside world, including basic healthcare - remember, they listened with intrigue and horror when Hermoine explained what dentists do. While guns may show up in every Muggle conflict for hundreds of years, Wizards and Witches largely haven't experienced them, outside of those who were part of those conflicts... and they view the wand as superior in almost every form.

As an example, look at our own views on things like bows. Getting shot by an arrow can still be deadly, bows are still in existence and use, we have movies and TV shows about people using them to great effect, yet if you ask the average first world person if they could use it as a weapon for self-defense, the response would be along the lines of "I guess, but why?" because we have guns... which we view as superior in almost every form.
    The reasons bows are viewed as silly (if they are viewed at all) are self-evident though. They're basically impossible to conceal for one. They also require an impractical amount of both training and physical strength for widespread use. Meanwhile, even a toddler or pet can be a mortal danger around a gun. So it makes little sense to me that the wizards' dismissal of them is born purely of ignorance or stupidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

UK, remember? Tight gun control. They're not exactly a part of routine life except in special circumstances.

The 'firelegs' conversation happens in book five, between Arthur and Kingsley in the Ministry. Both of them are acting at the time.

Kingsley: The delay on that firelegs report held us up for a month. (This man is later capable of blending in perfectly on the staff of the prime minister.He's playing dumb)

Arthur: If you had read that report, you would know that the term is firearms.
    Another noteworthy detail: After six years of conflict, Grindelwald was apprehended in 1945. Those six years also have another significance in our history.

And this is also overlooking all the half bloods and muggleborns.

In an open field, sure, but the wizard has far more options for trickery and subterfuge.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Clearly, Harry is just playing along to avoid giving away the deception. Or maybe he's actually fooled like the regular people, since at that point remains very intellectually lazy when it comes to magical stuff due to having Bob around as a consultant-on-demand.
    Do you honestly expect me to believe that a society so paranoid about getting found out that they will mind wipe pretty much anyone to keep their secret (which is a capital offense in the Dresdenverse, lest we forget) would write fictionalized accounts of one of their most noteworthy citizens and sell the movie rights so that a series of multi-billion dollar movies can be made, thus exposing themselves to the world? And that Bob would never mention that, if for no other reason than to taunt Harry about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Do you honestly expect me to believe that a society so paranoid about getting found out that they will mind wipe pretty much anyone to keep their secret (which is a capital offense in the Dresdenverse, lest we forget) would write fictionalized accounts of one of their most noteworthy citizens and sell the movie rights so that a series of multi-billion dollar movies can be made, thus exposing themselves to the world? And that Bob would never mention that, if for no other reason than to taunt Harry about it?
    It's just an extra level of deception. Clearly you find it ludicrous, so there's no way it would actually be true...

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

The reasons bows are viewed as silly (if they are viewed at all) are self-evident though. They're basically impossible to conceal for one. They also require an impractical amount of both training and physical strength for widespread use.
    "Impossible to conceal" is the only "self-evident" thing about them. That they take a lot of training and strength to use is empathetically not self-evident to people who have never handled a bow.

Meanwhile, even a toddler or pet can be a mortal danger around a gun. So it makes little sense to me that the wizards' dismissal of them is born purely of ignorance or stupidity.
    That gets said a lot about guns, but in truth, it takes a very special level of negligence to cause a situation where a toddler or a pet will be dangerous around one. In fact, majority of people who've never handled a gun will have either widely exaggerated belief of their danger (due to scare stories like yours) or widely underestimate the danger (because their only contact with guns is pop-fiction and they don't even know what a real gunshot sounds like).

Let's appreciate that neither Intelligence nor Wisdom are primary ability scores for Harry Potter Wizards, so the average Wizard will not be any smarter about guns than your average gun-ignorant muggle. Now look at hiw stupid gun-ignorant muggles can be about guns.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

18. - Top - End - #288
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    That gets said a lot about guns, but in truth, it takes a very special level of negligence to cause a situation where a toddler or a pet will be dangerous around one.
    You say that, but two days out of three on average a child accidentally shoots someone in the USA.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

1) "Average child" =/= toddler
    2) you forgot to contrast the number of shootings with the total number of children living in gun-owning households.

EDIT: for that matter, you also forgot to contrast with all other deaths by day.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2017-04-14 at 02:36 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    1) "Average child" =/= toddler
    2) you forgot to contrast the number of shootings with the total number of children living in gun-owning households.

EDIT: for that matter, you also forgot to contrast with all other deaths by day.
    How is that even relevant to the point being made? Guns are tremendously easier to use than bows for a variety of reasons.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

The point is that those various reasons are not as obvious to your average gun-ignorant person as they are to, say, a habitual peruser of niche entertainment which encourages learning trivia about modern and obsolete weaponry, or to a person with actual training in said modern or obsolete weaponry.

Also, if you do contrast the statistics, as well as guns-per-capita and population per country, I'd expect you to quickly reach the conclusion that an adult Wizard in the UK dying to an accidental shooting by a child is once-a-decade event at most, and may have never happened at all.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

22. - Top - End - #292

We should probably get away from hand cannons and go back to head canons.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    It's just an extra level of deception. Clearly you find it ludicrous, so there's no way it would actually be true...
    So why would all the fae and other supernatural beings keep that secret?

24. - Top - End - #294
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

So why would all the fae and other supernatural beings keep that secret?
    They're fey. Most of what they do makes no sense to us.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

As far as I can tell, no one has yet explained why the White Council would be quartered in Scotland while the Potterverse UK wizard government exists as a completely independent authority over which the Council has no jurisdiction (and which would also be the only known area of human magic users not subject to the Council). At this point it seems pretty clear to me that arguing they are in the same universe requires deliberately ignoring any facts about either series that make such coexistence unlikely, if not impossible.

That said, it's your headcanon, have fun.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Its more likely that Potterverse, due to how cartoony and childish a world it is, that its apart of some far off part of the Nevernever that Dresdenverse Wizards don't really take the time to visit, if you really want them to exist in the same world at all. Harry Potter is a Nevernever spirit who embodies some cartoon idea of magic to people, done, that yours explanation for how they can exist in the same universe- its no more ridiculous than a holy sword becoming a lightsaber.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    As far as I can tell, no one has yet explained why the White Council would be quartered in Scotland while the Potterverse UK wizard government exists as a completely independent authority over which the Council has no jurisdiction (and which would also be the only known area of human magic users not subject to the Council). At this point it seems pretty clear to me that arguing they are in the same universe requires deliberately ignoring any facts about either series that make such coexistence unlikely, if not impossible.

That said, it's your headcanon, have fun.
    I'm going to echo this. I honestly don't see how they could be on the same 'verse, but if want to headcanon them together, who am I to stop you?

28. - Top - End - #298

The white council heads up the specific style of wizards in the dresden verse. The wand wavers in the potterverse have their icw. There is more to potterverse than magical britain, its at the very least full european in scope. In fact, I am pretty sure book 4 at the world cup they see magicals from africa, america, and a few other locations as well, its been awhile since I read it so I cant be sure. So what we have are two world spanning organizations of wizards. The dresden verse wizards are one on one far stronger, the wand wavers have greater flexibility and far greater numbers. (The total number of wand wavers is estimated in the tens of millions)

Why would the council be in scotland? Why not? They have to be somewhere, one nation is as good as another. Why do they both exist? Because neither is strong enough to conquer the other without being crippled themselves. Its for all the same reasons why any nonmagical nation can have neighbors they dont constantly try to destroy. There are similarities that we can use. Both generally operate under the statute of secrecy. Yes dresden advertises, but the average person thinks he is a charlatan and the only time he cuts loose is against other people aware of magic and misusing it in some way. Perhaps back when the magical world went into hiding there were two main groups of spellcasters with two different ideas on how things should be run, so they split apart and so long as neither exposes the magical world, the other stays away. Both have their own rules. Potterverse has their unforgiveables, the council has their 7 laws. Both have differing styles of magic which can easily justify differing effects on the user which is why neither side obeys the various laws of the other and neither side claims jurisdiction over the other. Because of this there is generally little to no overlap between them. Potterverse wizards tend to stay in their magical enclaves after all, so its not unexpected for them to rarely bump into each other.

Honestly im just confused as to why so many of you object so strenuously to an idea that really has no insurmountable hurdles to overcome in order to make them work together. It may not be a flawless fit, but its more than good enough to work.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly im just confused as to why so many of you object so strenuously to an idea that really has no insurmountable hurdles to overcome in order to make them work together. It may not be a flawless fit, but its more than good enough to work.
    The fact that every human in the DF universe (no exceptions) is under the jurisdiction of the White Council, and the fact that the White Council sends death squads against any human who tampers with the mind of another or kills a human with magic -no exceptions, no matter the circumstances- IS an insurmountable hurdle. If the universes were connected every Oblivator, every Death Eater, and anyone who learned a Memory Charm or Unforgivable Curse would have Wardens constantly trying to execute them on sight.
    Last edited by Gnoman; 2017-04-16 at 11:07 AM.

30. - Top - End - #300

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    The fact that every human in the DF universe (no exceptions) is under the jurisdiction of the White Council, and the fact that the White Council sends death squads against any human who tampers with the mind of another or kills a human with magic -no exceptions, no matter the circumstances- IS an insurmountable hurdle. If the universes were connected every Oblivator, every Death Eater, and anyone who learned a Memory Charm or Unforgivable Curse would have Wardens constantly trying to execute them on sight.
    Unless, as I have now stated several freaking times, there is a reason why they dont. The potterverse wizards live in their own enclaves, with their own government, their own laws, and enough numbers to have a war of mutual extinction at best if the white council tried to apply their delusional claims of authority over all things magical to wizards who outnumber them 100-1. You know, kind of like why they were
    Spoiler
    Show
    in a cold war with the vampire courts instead of trying to enforce their laws against them, both white and red court enthrall their victims, the black court are basically one giant case of necromancy, thats another law broken, instead of "sending in the wardens" to enforce their laws. Because they CANT. They dont have the numbers, the power, or the capability to do so.
    Trying to execute obliviators or anyone else would trigger a war, and they cant handle that. So they make their grandiose claims of control over all magical humans, the wand wavers blithely ignore them, and life moves on.

Hurdle. Surmounted.