New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Ok, challenge for y'all. Anyone have a theory on why so few of Batman's villains have the word "Doctor" in their supervillain names considering that so many of them actually do have advanced degrees (including Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, and most egregiously of all Mister Freeze, whose entire pseudonym consists entirely of changing "Doctor" to "Mister" in what is otherwise actually his name (EDIT: actually I think his name is technically spelled slightly different, "Freis" or "Freze" or the like but it's still pronounced the same))
    Mr. Freeze actually address that, I can't remember where but in a comic he says that he made an oath as he became a doctor to never use his knowledge to harm others or nefarius end, since he's using it for crime he don't think it's fair to use this title as it doesn't represent what doctors are supposed to do.
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-10-10 at 02:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Spoiler: spoilers for Wrath of the Chosen
    Show

Considering the Templars look over an opening in the sea with a truly massive amount of psionic energy spewing out of it, I'm going to say no, there is a new threat.
    Sadly, because it's otherwise a great theory.
    Hence my saying there may be other threats out there, but it's not the core of what the Ethereals are afraid of. Granted, it's a dangerous universe: Clearly it must be, to throw out so many monstrous things for the Ethereals to conquer let alone the ethereals themselves, let alone the even more powerful, nigh immortal monstrosities they can become if not stopped.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

3. - Top - End - #423

Mushroom kingdom has so much money they build a new castle for Peach every game. That's why it's a diferent lookign castle every game.

Either that or it's a creature of chaos like castlevania. LOL
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

4. - Top - End - #424
    Firbolg in the Playground

*Everyone in Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends is imaginary, even the human characters. People in that world reproduce by imagining more people into existence a la Borges' The Circular Ruins.

*Both 1984 and Anthem take place in tinpot rogue nations that do not control even nearly the area that they claim to

*Elves and dragons are always decline in fantasy stories because they have many traits that, while fantastic, do not contribute to reproductive fitness; as generations pass these fantastic traits are increasingly lost to vestigiality
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-10-11 at 09:56 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #425
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Battletech:
    Agent Curaitis was actually a plant by Sun Tzu Liao, and subtly worked to pit Victor Davion against his sister.
    He was the revenge Sun Tzu referred to in the video message at the end of the Clan trilogy when Hanse was having his heart attack.
    Curaitis was the Liao mirror of Justin Xiang and his role during the 4th Succession War and that was the revenge, not Sun Tzu's marriage plans with Isis Marik.

Star Wars:
    Luke died in ESB by committing suicide after getting his hand chopped off and being cornered, rather than allowing himself to be captured and turned to the Dark Side.
    It was Leia who fought Vader on Death Star 2, and it was her unborn offspring Vader sensed and threatened, in order to get her to fight him.
    That was why Yoda spoke the line "No, there is another."

The Matrix:
    Mr. Anderson died at the end of the first movie, and he was not the one, just like the Oracle said.
    Rather the ONE program embedded in him rebooted and shifted from learning/observation to active mode, unaware that it's memories and reasoning were recordings and not the sapience of mr. Anderson. After all, a human could never affect Sentinels in the real world like NEO did, only a program could accomplish that.
    Very much in keeping with the Messiah myth parallels.

Jaws:
    There was no shark, only a deranged bunch of homicidal maniacs who needed something to pin their crimes on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L36oelDtZ40
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -

6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground

mordor shadow of war celebrimbor finaly says f it and takes talions body so he can continue his crusade and end up becoming wraith as result
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

7. - Top - End - #427

Quote Originally Posted by Misereor View Post
    The Matrix:
    Mr. Anderson died at the end of the first movie, and he was not the one, just like the Oracle said.
    Rather the ONE program embedded in him rebooted and shifted from learning/observation to active mode, unaware that it's memories and reasoning were recordings and not the sapience of mr. Anderson. After all, a human could never affect Sentinels in the real world like NEO did, only a program could accomplish that.
    Very much in keeping with the Messiah myth parallels.
    If he was dead how could he do anything in the real world?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

8. - Top - End - #428
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

If he was dead how could he do anything in the real world?
    I think they're saying that 'Mr. Anderson' died, and an AI program 'The One' took over running his body, the same way a Smith ends up 'possessing' Bane in the real world.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

My thoughts on The Matrix:

Spoiler
    Show
    The "source" that Neo came into contact with in Matrix Reloaded was the machine source code. Prior to this all of his shenanigans were more instinctive in nature (knowing that the "rules" can be broken) to more deliberate afterwards (wholesale rewriting the rules). Since previous The Ones had all chosen to reset everything, the machines really didn't know what The One could do after having gained access to their source code. It's how he was able to save Trinity and what not in the matrix.

Outside of the matrix, this manifested as him being able to sense and hack the machines' communications. So he's not so much as exerting control over the machines as just sending them an overriding self destruct command. The whole hand bit is just for dramatic effect with it being a visual medium. Since he was new to this ability to send and receive machine code IRL, it left him open for reverse hacking which is how he ended up stranded in the subway.

Once he goes blind the only thing he "sees" (IIRC), are machine/machine controlled entities. Which I always interpreted as him knowing the location of the machine signals he was recieving, and what kind of machine is was. Thereby allowing him a sort of sight, but only in regards to the location and type of machine due to being tapped into their source code/signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I think they're saying that 'Mr. Anderson' died, and an AI program 'The One' took over running his body, the same way a Smith ends up 'possessing' Bane in the real world.
    In the Dojo scene, it is mentioned that he has unusual neural patterns, so maybe it was already influencing him then.
    Or maybe the technically limited Anderson personality was just another aspect of the AI, and the human mind was extinguished at some point before the movie even started.
    No definite evidence either way, just several indicators that alternatives to "he has magic powers" exist.

I did notice know that the Shadowrun plot "Halberstam's Babies" was written long before the first Matrix movie and has much the same premise as the Matrix movies.
    (Mad scentist wires babies into the Matrix immediately after birth, making them unaware that their perceived environment is not the real world.)
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -

11. - Top - End - #431
    Colossus in the Playground

In the Dojo scene, it is mentioned that he has unusual neural patterns, so maybe it was already influencing him then.
    Or maybe the technically limited Anderson personality was just another aspect of the AI, and the human mind was extinguished at some point before the movie even started.
    No definite evidence either way, just several indicators that alternatives to "he has magic powers" exist.

I did notice know that the Shadowrun plot "Halberstam's Babies" was written long before the first Matrix movie and has much the same premise as the Matrix movies.
    (Mad scentist wires babies into the Matrix immediately after birth, making them unaware that their perceived environment is not the real world.)
    Pfft, my headcanon is that both that and the matrix were ripped off from Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. "Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #432

Beholder

Sith Sabers are red because of tradition, they can be kyber or synthetic kyber crystals which are still a thing.

I really, really hate the "Kyber Crystals are quasi sentient, faerie-like, good guy crystals and Sith Sabers turn red because the Darkside gives the crystals ouchy booboos and makes them bleed" thing. That is ****ing canon now. Ugh.

13. - Top - End - #433

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    Sith Sabers are red because of tradition, they can be kyber or synthetic kyber crystals which are still a thing.

I really, really hate the "Kyber Crystals are quasi sentient, faerie-like, good guy crystals and Sith Sabers turn red because the Darkside gives the crystals ouchy booboos and makes them bleed" thing. That is ****ing canon now. Ugh.
    Wait. Since when is that canon? I remember a lot of stupid things in Rogue One but that wasn't one of them

Omegaupdate Forum

14. - Top - End - #434

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Yeah, but his heart stopped and wasn't responding to medical attention.

Omegaupdate Forum

15. - Top - End - #435

Beholder

Wait. Since when is that canon? I remember a lot of stupid things in Rogue One but that wasn't one of them
    It's from one of the novels that is canon. The "Let's explain all the Canon Reboot Death Star Plot Holes" book that also ties into Rogue One. I think the Ashoka book also goes into it slightly.

Canon isn't just the movies. Though I would prefer it that way.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Pfft, my headcanon is that both that and the matrix were ripped off from Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. "Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?"
    Allegory of the cave?
    "Plato has Socrates describe a group of people who have lived chained to the wall of a cave all of their lives, facing a blank wall. The people watch shadows projected on the wall from objects passing in front of a fire behind them, and give names to these shadows. The shadows are the prisoners' reality."
    -
    -

17. - Top - End - #437
    Colossus in the Playground

Allegory of the cave?
    "Plato has Socrates describe a group of people who have lived chained to the wall of a cave all of their lives, facing a blank wall. The people watch shadows projected on the wall from objects passing in front of a fire behind them, and give names to these shadows. The shadows are the prisoners' reality."
    Nope, still ripoff of Queen. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure brought socrates to the present where they got to listen to some modern rock music, its highly likely Queen would have been in the playlist of the time. Much like Napolean, joan of arc, and ludwig were inspired by the modern world, so was socrates.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #438

In The Blob Mrs.Porter has been stealing from the doctor. She seems awfully eager to get the police to go away.

Omegaupdate Forum

19. - Top - End - #439
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Nope, still ripoff of Queen. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure brought socrates to the present where they got to listen to some modern rock music, its highly likely Queen would have been in the playlist of the time. Much like Napolean, joan of arc, and ludwig were inspired by the modern world, so was socrates.
    Unfortunately B&T only listened to sucky music in EJ, which does not include Queen.
    By BJ their taste had improved, but by then Socrates was long gone.

/De Nomolos
    -
    -

20. - Top - End - #440
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

James Bond:
    Mr. White was Blofeld. After being captured by Bond, he orchestrated a series of manipulations of Bond into killing off all his rivals, thereby consolidating power and eventually letting him reform the organization into SPECTRE.

Something like:

Fade in.
    Bond awakens to find himself in a torture chamber, strapped into a death machine.
    Mr. White stands nearby, unable to completely suppress his gloating.

Bond: I saw you die.
    White: My suicide? Artistic license, mr. Bond. I still have so much work to do.
    Bond: But your daughter?
    White: Mr. White's daughter you mean. She proved useful to our organization, so maybe I will let her live. For the time being.
    Bond: Your organization? It makes no sense. Your organization is all but destroyed, and you helped make it happen.
    White: Oh no, mr. Bond. We have merely trimmed the fat. Or rather, you have.
    Bond: ...
    White: We are a group of megalomaniacs, mr. Bond. In spite of our common interests, we do not work well together. The only thing that could unite us was a common threat. A threat which you provided.
    Bond: ...
    White: Really, mr. Bond? You require a villanous exposition? You capturing me was a gift. It proved that even our highest ranking members were not safe. I can assure you I made a point of expressing that idea to my colleagues. I advised them on what measures, what precautions, to take to protect themselves and their businesses. At the same time I fed you clues. Those who opposed me I pitted you against, those who followed my ideas I directed you away from. You eliminated my competition one by one, increasing my prestige all the while. Until I could remake our organization into something... greater.
    Bond: That sounds a bit too convenient.
    White: Oh, there were setbacks of course, and there are undoubtedly more to come.
    Bond: I would be happy to help with that.
    White: And so you shall.
    Bond: ???
    White: I said we needed an external threat to unite us, and so we do.
    Bond: United under your enlightened leadership, I take it?
    White: Don't be boring, mr. Bond. Of course under my leadership.
    Bond: And my part in this?
    White: Most people do not believe in super agents, mr. Bond. They are unable to fathom what a single dediated individual is capable of. But you and I are.
    Bond: How come you don't use contractions?
    White: Alas, but I abhor informality. And please do not interrupt. You are in a death trap mr. Bond. In a little while guards will enter, the countdown will begin, and if you are unable to free yourself you will die.
    Bond: That sounds elaborate.
    White: It is. Because I need to thank you, mr. Bond, I really do. I could never have accomplished this without your help. So instead of putting a bullet through your head, you will have the opportunity to figure out how to escape. Doing so will build your legend and help unify us against the threat you present. And if not, maybe you are not as dangerous as I thought.
    Bond: If I escape, won't it undermine you?
    White: Machiavelli once said that you should always devise two plans. One that gurantees victory if the trees bear leaves, and one that guarantees victory if they do not. He said other things besides *glances at Bond*, but if my devicing a suitable punishment for the guards who let you escape will does not get me what I want, then the prestige from killing you will.
    Bond: You know, speaking of killing, one day I will kill you.
    White: Dramatically, I am sure. Like dropping me into a chimney from a remotely piloted helicopter. But until then, Ta Ta, as you British say.
    Last edited by Misereor; 2017-10-17 at 02:53 AM.
    -
    -

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's another one: Huey, Dewey & Louie's father is Howard the Duck, who didn't know that their mom was pregnant with the triplets/layed their eggs (however anthro duckbioligy works). Thus explaining why he's from a Duck world and why the father is never mentioned,
    Last edited by digiman619; 2017-10-28 at 11:09 PM. Reason: hitting an "f" instead of a "d" and therefor accidentally swearing
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

22. - Top - End - #442

In D&D the reason why there are so many different types of elves is that they have a bored chaotic creator deity

Omegaupdate Forum

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Now that I'm watching Stranger Things 2, I'm now convinced that they're in the same universe as the Sergei Lukyanenko's Night Watch series. The Upside Down looks way too much like the first or second levels of the gloom or the twilight (depending on the translation).

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

All Final Fantasy, Tales Of games, and other JRPGs take place in the Chrono Trigger universe, and all their villains are actually some form of Lavos species, or are some way influenced by a Lavos species. Jenovah? A Lavos spawn that mutated. Chaos from Final Fantasy 1? a Lavos Spawn. the world tree of Symphonia? Lavos spawn.

Undertale is also in the Chrono Trigger universe, but for different reasons. in Chrono Trigger, there are monsters that at war with humanity in 600 AD. they also have a diverse range of appearances, and the humans are very anime-esque. also in both Chrono Trigger and Undertale the save points are sparks of light just scattered at random points, which only has evidence of humans using, since no monster ever joins Crono's party. robots, skeletons and animal people are also possible in both universes, and it fits thematically with the time traveling nature of both universes, it also provides an explanation for why the Undertale monsters got sealed by wizards but human wizards don't exist anymore- they were using the magic given by Lavos, and the potential and genetics to use it thinned over time since Zeal fell, obviously the Undertale monsters are faction of monsters went to war with Zeal and got sealed underground, more so than Algetty, while Sans saying that there is a timeline where everything ends could refer to Chara- or it could refer to a timeline where the monsters get to the surface, live happy lives.....then get destroyed by Lavos along with all the humans in 1999 AD. The monster calendar just numbers the years differently by starting from a slightly earlier date. I can just see the two universes fitting together so well.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Kirk really died in the opening scene of Star Trek: Generations.

Picard went to the nexus, and, like everyone else in the nexus, saw exactly what he wanted to see - him and the legendary previous caption returning to our universe and saving the Enterprise.

Sadly, it was all fantasies of the nexus, and the real Enterprise is still crashed on that planet.

26. - Top - End - #446

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    All Final Fantasy, Tales Of games, and other JRPGs take place in the Chrono Trigger universe, and all their villains are actually some form of Lavos species, or are some way influenced by a Lavos species. Jenovah? A Lavos spawn that mutated. Chaos from Final Fantasy 1? a Lavos Spawn. the world tree of Symphonia? Lavos spawn.

Undertale is also in the Chrono Trigger universe, but for different reasons. in Chrono Trigger, there are monsters that at war with humanity in 600 AD. they also have a diverse range of appearances, and the humans are very anime-esque. also in both Chrono Trigger and Undertale the save points are sparks of light just scattered at random points, which only has evidence of humans using, since no monster ever joins Crono's party. robots, skeletons and animal people are also possible in both universes, and it fits thematically with the time traveling nature of both universes, it also provides an explanation for why the Undertale monsters got sealed by wizards but human wizards don't exist anymore- they were using the magic given by Lavos, and the potential and genetics to use it thinned over time since Zeal fell, obviously the Undertale monsters are faction of monsters went to war with Zeal and got sealed underground, more so than Algetty, while Sans saying that there is a timeline where everything ends could refer to Chara- or it could refer to a timeline where the monsters get to the surface, live happy lives.....then get destroyed by Lavos along with all the humans in 1999 AD. The monster calendar just numbers the years differently by starting from a slightly earlier date. I can just see the two universes fitting together so well.
    That's an interesting headcanon, if not one I personally endorse. I have my own FFVII headcanons and here they are.

1. [Warning Dragon Age Inquisition: Trespasser spoilers and its pretty damn long] Thousands of years ago, the mighty elvhen mage Solas launched a rebellion to free his people from the Evanuris, elvhen mages who set themselves up as gods and enslaved their own kind. In response to his rebellion the Evanuris labeled him Fen'Harel, The Dread Wolf, a title he and his followers saw as a badge of honor.

Yet not all of the Evanuris looked upon Solas/Fen'Harel with contempt. There was Mythal, the wisest and best of them. While her people's vallasin marked them as slaves just as much as the other Evanuris, she never saw nor treated them that way. Instead she acted as their protector, nurturer and judge. Until her fellow Evanuris betrayed and murdered her, with the youngest and most naive of them, Ghilan'anin, being dragged in to the plot. In a fit of rage and grief Solas cast these great mage lords of the elvhen people into Fade and erected the Veil to lock them in.

Eventually one of them, Ghilan'nain herself, left the taint ridden black city she and her fellow Evanuris were banished to, but since she could no longer return to the surface of her world she took flight off into the stars, encased in a vessel of stone. She then landed on the surface of nearby world, that it's dominant people, the Cetra, called Gaia. In her attempts to enrich and enhance the beauties of her new home-world Ghilan'anin sowed terror, death and madness. For despite her good intentions Ghilan'anin was corrupted and maddened by the taint, that spread to much of what she touched. Thus the mother of the halla became Jenova, The Calamity From The Skies. Were she lucid she would first scream in horror, then beg for death.
    2. Dr. Hojo has at least two or three broodmothers stashed somewhere.
    3. Old man Shinra looks/looked and sounds/sounded like Powers Booth's portrayal of Senator Roarke from the first Sin City movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

27. - Top - End - #447

In Mystery Science Theater 3000 the movie that the Forresters are searching for is 2001 A Space Odyssey. The videocassette of the worst movie ever made in the season 7 finale resembles the Monolith, plus even in real life 2001 seems to afflict people with a sort of stockholm syndrome in which they become convinced that the movie was good.

Omegaupdate Forum

28. - Top - End - #448

Kobold

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor: Talion is ultimately defeated by Sauron and is corrupted into what we know as The Mouth of Sauron.

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars is set in the Assassin's Creed Universe.

The same for Mirror's Edge.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bayar View Post
    Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor: Talion is ultimately defeated by Sauron and is corrupted into what we know as The Mouth of Sauron.
    Spoiler: Shadow of War
    Show
    Well, youre close.

Spoiler: No, seriously. ALL the spoilz.
    Show
    He becomes corrupted into one of the Nazgul shortly before the LOTR movies pick up.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

30. - Top - End - #450

to those of you saying that the ewoks would be destroyed by the debris from the death star consider that most of the debris would likely remain in orbit as space junk. Much of this would likely hit the forest moon but not all at the same time; little pieces not KT style enormous chunks

furthermore the ewoks, iirc, live on a moon. It's likely that many chunks might miss the forest moon and be caught up by the gravity of Endor itself

Omegaupdate Forum