New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    So when is Pacific Rim going to reveal Monster Island and it's very own Gojira who are all surviving refugees from the Kaiju Universe?
    I'll guess sometime around 2026.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    I'll guess sometime around 2026.
    Pacific Rim 4: Zookeepers
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Or in 1980, no ewoks!

You I like!

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    Didn't we establish earlier in the thread that "I didn't like these sequels so I pretend they don't exist" isn't interesting and barely even qualifies as a headcanon?

I have no memory of that.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    Didn't we establish earlier in the thread that "I didn't like these sequels so I pretend they don't exist" isn't interesting and barely even qualifies as a headcanon?
    It doesn't matter whether "we" (meaning "some of us") decided that or not. The essence of a headcanon is something that one person chooses to accept regardless of what anybody else thinks.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    It doesn't matter whether "we" (meaning "some of us") decided that or not. The essence of a headcanon is something that one person chooses to accept regardless of what anybody else thinks.
    I mean, theres a difference between headcanon and denial. "There was no prequel trilogy for Star Wars" isn't headcanon no matter how much you want to believe it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #606
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I mean, theres a difference between headcanon and denial. "There was no prequel trilogy for Star Wars" isn't headcanon no matter how much you want to believe it.

Well I haven't seen any. I may have seen a trailer for one, but that proves nothing.

NOTHING!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Why? Any headcanon is denial to some extent. The only difference is in other people's heads. Denial is a negative comment about somebody's headcanon that you deny.

I disagree with this one as much as you do, but that just means I disagree with his or her headcanon, not that I have to say something negative about it.

I repeat: The essence of a headcanon is something that one person chooses to accept regardless of what anybody else thinks. [Emphasis added.]

Also, isn't a prequel something that occurs before episode one?

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

Headcanon isn't denial unless it goes against WOG.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2018-03-29 at 10:09 AM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Headcanon isn't denial unless it goes against WOG.
    Indeed. The whole point of headcanon is its plausibility.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #610
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Why? Any headcanon is denial to some extent. The only difference is in other people's heads. Denial is a negative comment about somebody's headcanon that you deny.

I disagree with this one as much as you do, but that just means I disagree with his or her headcanon, not that I have to say something negative about it.

I repeat: The essence of a headcanon is something that one person chooses to accept regardless of what anybody else thinks. [Emphasis added.]

Also, isn't a prequel something that occurs before episode one?
    Headcanon isn't supposed to contradict canon canon
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ettin in the Playground

Not to be nitpicky, but "X never happened" is fanon discontinuity a similar but different concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

A headcanon about pokemon:
    We see pokeballs get teleported around like nothing. We see pokeballs get teleported right out of peoples hands to the storage system. My headcanon is that this big set up, this capability of teleporting pokeballs anywhere on the globe, requires a massive internet-level network, satellites, supercomputers, the whole nine yards. My headcanon is that a hacker can hack into this network......and just teleport pokeballs out of trainers hands and bags. Just *snap fingers* gone, nothing you can do about it.....except for modding your pokeballs to be off the grid. But! This is illegal, because a trainer is only allowed to have six pokemon, because if you just had tons of pokemon on you, it'd just be chaos and you'd call your pokemon army to overwhelm everyone, and this enforcement is only possible because of the network automatically detecting the pokeballs registered to your account on your person and automatically teleporting away any seventh pokeball registered with a pokemon in it.

So as pokemon goes into the cyber age, you start to see a culture of underground trainers who care lot about their pokemon, modding all their pokeballs so that they aren't connected to the wider network and thus can't get stolen by hackers. These modders are at the same time distrustful of authority because they might get caught having more than six pokemon. Meaning the Pokemon League faces criminal threats from both sides.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Headcanon isn't supposed to contradict canon canon

"canon canon" would have one believing clearly erroneous stuff like the immortsls in Highlander are space aliens that forgot that, and that Captain Kirk met Picard and then died from falling off a bridge.

Just nope.

And don't try that "logic", "common sense", and "proof" stuff on me pal, IT WON'T WORK!!!

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post

"canon canon" would have one believing clearly erroneous stuff like the immortsls in Highlander are space aliens that forgot that, and that Captain Kirk met Picard and then died from falling off a bridge.

Just nope.

And don't try that "logic", "common sense", and "proof" stuff on me pal, IT WON'T WORK!!!
    Highlander very clearly doesn't just have a single canon timeline though, to say nothing of the fact that fanon discontinuity is not the same thing as headcanon.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Titan in the Playground

For the longest time, I have felt that RL lochaber axes don't accurately match the description given in Elenium for Bevier's cavalry (and later hand) axe. In the book, it is described beaked like an eagle, capable of cutting posts (or decapitating men) at a gallop and, crucially, "can crack open armour". The forward, spear-like lochaber just doesn't quite fit that description in my head.

Well, I just found a different axe-like weapon that fits the description so well, I'm headcanon it: the igorot headhunting axe.

The video linked above demonstrates that the post and head cutting are perfectly within the ability of this axe, and the shape is far more beak-like, not to mention that if slipped into a slit in full plate armour, it'll provide a much better leverage to crack open the armour. So, in my headcanon, the people of Lochaber, Arcium, came up with this design, quite different from the one from the people of Lochaber, Scotland.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-01-05 at 05:20 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

16. - Top - End - #616
    Bugbear in the Playground

I prefer to believe that Use Magic Device is based on charisma because you seduce the item into functioning for you.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    I prefer to believe that Use Magic Device is based on charisma because you seduce the item into functioning for you.
    that was gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

This is now a house rule at my table.
    We already have a rule that you can get modifiers depending on how well you act out a scene.
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -

19. - Top - End - #619
    Barbarian in the Playground

My favorite head cannon is that in Fallout New Vegas, if you side with the Legion, and are female,(note: the Legion is very sexist) you will be enslaved and forced to be Ceasers wife.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    My favorite head cannon is that in Fallout New Vegas, if you side with the Legion, and are female,(note: the Legion is very sexist) you will be enslaved and forced to be Ceasers wife.
    I feel bad for anybody who tries to enslave a Bethesda protagonist.

21. - Top - End - #621

Speaking of Fallout: New Vegas headcanons, mine is that the Mojave Express is the secretly single most powerful faction in Nevada. The final boss fight of the Lonesome Road DLC suggests that Mojave Express employs multiple people who are just as impossibly superhuman as the game's protagonist.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-04-12 at 12:54 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

22. - Top - End - #622

In the TV show Milo Murphy's Law Agent Cavendish is a blood relative of the Murphys. I base this on the fact that the episode The Island of Lost Dakotas depicts him as having an even more extreme propensity for bizarre accidents than the protagonist, to the point that Agent Dakota is forced to spend a significant amount of time and effort going back to undo timelines where Cavendish has been killedc

Omegaupdate Forum

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

This is a long thread, so it's possible this is a repeat. That said:

The Croods takes place in the aftermath of an apocalyptic war on a low gravity alien planet, which involved extensive genetic modifications to both humans and a lot of the other invasive species they brought from Earth, plus a good long time for weird adaptations to crop up from a seriously screwed up ecosystem.

It makes so much more sense than the implicit stone age caveman setting, and there's absolutely nothing there that contradicts it.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    This is a long thread, so it's possible this is a repeat. That said:

The Croods takes place in the aftermath of an apocalyptic war on a low gravity alien planet, which involved extensive genetic modifications to both humans and a lot of the other invasive species they brought from Earth, plus a good long time for weird adaptations to crop up from a seriously screwed up ecosystem.

It makes so much more sense than the implicit stone age caveman setting, and there's absolutely nothing there that contradicts it.
    On the other hand: I think this idea can be applied to most cartoons, and that last sentence (with the implicit setting replaced) would still be true.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

25. - Top - End - #625
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    On the other hand: I think this idea can be applied to most cartoons, and that last sentence (with the implicit setting replaced) would still be true.
    It's been a while since I've seen it, but there's a few things that particularly stand out here - starting with the huge amount of blatantly alien life definitely not from Earth history. Their implicit setting simply doesn't fit what's shown.

Meanwhile for something like Avatar the setting of the strange fantasy world and associated spirit world fits just fine. For something like Up the setting of somewhere in south america also works, with every animal there being a real animal (if subject to stylized art).
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Perry the Platypus is a kind of mad scientist social worker who attends to Phineas, Ferb, and Doof. Mad science probably runs amok in their world and one solution was found in enhanced therapy animals that moderate situations. Perry lives with P+F and hides because they are young and they also clean up their messes by the end of the day. Perry needs to take more drastic interventions with Doof because he repeatedly relapses into big schemes.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

27. - Top - End - #627

In Dune the spice destroys the collagen in your eyes.

There are a few real world conditions involving improper collagen production that result in blue sclera, such as osteogenesis imperfecta

Omegaupdate Forum

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, that was pretty much my reaction when I first read UMD rules, high five!

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Judge Dredd and Mad Max take place on different continents of the same world. (See when OG Dredd goes outside and is attacked ny cannibals).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

30. - Top - End - #630
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The machines run The Matrix using a simplified physics model. One that is based on mathematical rules that can easily be simulated by a machine. The "real" world outside the matrix has no such limitations. Outside the matrix, the power of love and prophecies are real, while the second law of thermodynamics is not. We, the audience, having grown up in the strict mathematical causality of the simulated world, are only familiar with the restricted physics of the matrix and think that mind powers are only a myth from stories.