New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

All the Gundam universes happen in the same reality, just that eventually technology reaches a critical mass where the Earth sphere gets nuked back to the stone age. Some humanity manages to survive and rebuild, but forget what happened and eventually develop mechas and gundams again, leading to fresh apocalyptic conflicts. The smarter humans simply escaped the solar system's neverending cycle of wars.

Also Gundam Wing is the last one by chronological order since they mention Gundams were never seen again.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ettin in the Playground

Didn't Turn A Gundam pretty much canonize that?

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not very clear what the canon's supposed to be since Tomino, the gundam's first creator, claims Reconguista happens 500 years after Turn A and 1000 years after Universal Century. However Turn A is supposed to happen 7000 years after Universal Century. And then several Gundam shows were not made by Tomino at all like Wing, 00, SEED and Iron Blooded Orphans technically don't start in post-apocalyptic worlds, while their gundams seemingly are the first of their kind.

So basically 1000 years feels a bit too short for civilization to be blown up so badly that they completely forgot about all about Gundams but end up building them again anyway. At least 4 times, in particular when you also need to fit enough space for the post-apocalyptic ones too. Iron Blooded Orphans in particular has their gundams being 300 years old and created to fight AI giant robots. Turn A's 7000 year timeline would mean more space to fit all that, but Tomino tried to retcon it (Bandai seems to be sticking to the 7000 year mark), which then directly conflicts with Reconguista being 1000 years after UC while also being 500 years after Turn A.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Gundam shows are explicitly not all in the same universe.

UC however is the new more hopeful universe created by the invocation of the Ideon at the end of Space Runaway Ideon.

And given that UC is the nicer place to be that should tell you all you need to know about Ideon.

5. - Top - End - #665

Quote Originally Posted by zebalas View Post
    Magneto was right.
    oh yeah, definitely!
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #666
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Inspired by another thread about Star Wars in this forum: The original Stormtroopers at the height of the Clone Wars were quite good shots and rightfully feared throughout the Galaxy Far Far Away as elite soldiers. After the Republic fell, the Empire quickly expanded the army and started calling many of the new conscript regiments "Stormtroopers" for both, a quick boost to morale ("You are the elite of the Empire") and to invoke the fear of the original Stormtroopers in anyone who might feel rebellious ("Stormtroopers! Now deployed in a base near your home!"). Only the remaining old regiments, like Darth Vader's personal guard, would be up to the standard of the original Stormtroopers. These were the soldiers who stormed Leia's ship and slaughtered the Jawas. A random platoon of new Stormtroopers (like the ones deployed on the Death Star or Endor) would just be regular soldiers in all but name. An old timer like Obi Wan, who did not follow galactic politics for two decades, would correctly identify the damage on the Jawa crawler as the work of elite soldiers and warn Luke of the Stormtrooper's prowess. He would not know that most Stormtroopers these days are far from the elite units he knew during the Clone Wars.

This is inspired by many real world elite units. For example, Napoleon quite inflated the ranks of his Imperial Guard. But only the real, "Old" Guard were the actual elite soldiers.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seppl View Post
    Inspired by another thread about Star Wars in this forum: The original Stormtroopers at the height of the Clone Wars were quite good shots and rightfully feared throughout the Galaxy Far Far Away as elite soldiers. After the Republic fell, the Empire quickly expanded the army and started calling many of the new conscript regiments "Stormtroopers" for both, a quick boost to morale ("You are the elite of the Empire") and to invoke the fear of the original Stormtroopers in anyone who might feel rebellious ("Stormtroopers! Now deployed in a base near your home!"). Only the remaining old regiments, like Darth Vader's personal guard, would be up to the standard of the original Stormtroopers. These were the soldiers who stormed Leia's ship and slaughtered the Jawas. A random platoon of new Stormtroopers (like the ones deployed on the Death Star or Endor) would just be regular soldiers in all but name. An old timer like Obi Wan, who did not follow galactic politics for two decades, would correctly identify the damage on the Jawa crawler as the work of elite soldiers and warn Luke of the Stormtrooper's prowess. He would not know that most Stormtroopers these days are far from the elite units he knew during the Clone Wars.
    A pretty fair summary. A point is made in tie-in media for the newcanon that the Emperor stopped production of clones after the Clone Wars.

But based on AOTC, there were infant clones still in production right up to the day the war started. TCW shows that more were ordered during the war (even if they wouldn't have reached full adulthood till 10 years after production began).

So - a clone that "just came out of the tank as an infant" the day the war ended, would be physically about 38 as of ANH. Plenty young enough to still function as an elite soldier.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-05-18 at 11:46 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post

So - a clone that "just came out of the tank as an infant" the day the war ended, would be physically about 38 as of ANH. Plenty young enough to still function as an elite soldier.
    This assumes that the growth acceleration stops after "adulthood". If it was a permanent alteration, the clones could easily have died of old age by then, or at least been physically 60 or 70.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    This assumes that the growth acceleration stops after "adulthood". If it was a permanent alteration, the clones could easily have died of old age by then, or at least been physically 60 or 70.
    Both the Legends canon and Disney canon make it pretty clear that accelerated growth shortens the lifespan of clones, which already tend towards the shorter side of the range for their species.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #670

This assumes that the growth acceleration stops after "adulthood".
    Nope - I'm assuming that "age at twice the normal rate" continues.

So, a 10 year old clone is physically 20. A 15 year old clone is physically 30. A 20 year old is physically 40.

And a 19 year old clone is physically 38.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Nope - I'm assuming that "age at twice the normal rate" continues.

So, a 10 year old clone is physically 20. A 15 year old clone is physically 30. A 20 year old is physically 40.

And a 19 year old clone is physically 38.
    In Star Wars Rebels how old is Rex numerically and effectively?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ogre in the Playground

In the fallout series, the reason that almost everyone can soak up bullets like a sponge is because the vast majority of weaponry is 200 years old by the time of Fallout 4, and so is the ammunition. The net effect is that the bullet only travel at about the speed of sling bullets. In addition, anything remade in that time is being made with half-understood blueprints and poor-quality materials, which is why they're weak as well. Any time you instagib someone it;s because you got luck and got a full-quality bullet: which is also why the blood mess perk is in the luck tree.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    In the fallout series, the reason that almost everyone can soak up bullets like a sponge is because the vast majority of weaponry is 200 years old by the time of Fallout 4, and so is the ammunition. The net effect is that the bullet only travel at about the speed of sling bullets. In addition, anything remade in that time is being made with half-understood blueprints and poor-quality materials, which is why they're weak as well. Any time you instagib someone it;s because you got luck and got a full-quality bullet: which is also why the blood mess perk is in the luck tree.
    The only problem I have with this theory is that sling bullets are kind of lethal.

14. - Top - End - #674

In Star Wars Rebels how old is Rex numerically and effectively?
    Given that he's adult at the start of the Clone Wars - he would be in the first batch created, 10 years before AOTC.

Numerically: 10 as of AOTC, 13 as of ROTS, 28 as of beginning of Season 2 of Rebels, 31 as of Season 4 of Rebels, 36 as of ROTJ.

Effectively: 20 as of AOTC, 26 as of ROTS, 56 as of beginning of Season 2 of Rebels, 62 as of Season 4 of Rebels, 72 as of ROTJ.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-05-21 at 01:28 AM.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    The only problem I have with this theory is that sling bullets are kind of lethal.
    Your average sling bullet is also significantly bigger/heavier than your average bullet, so if both are going at the same speed, the bullet would deal drastically less damage and even an humie skull may be able to shrugg off a few.

Although that reminds me that my personal fallout headcannon is that after so much radiation exposure everybody still alive is a super durable mutant even if they may still appear roughly human from outside. Even those inside the vaults got exposed due to faulty tech.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Your average sling bullet is also significantly bigger/heavier than your average bullet, so if both are going at the same speed, the bullet would deal drastically less damage and even an humie skull may be able to shrugg off a few.

Although that reminds me that my personal fallout headcannon is that after so much radiation exposure everybody still alive is a super durable mutant even if they may still appear roughly human from outside. Even those inside the vaults got exposed due to faulty tech.
    Fair point, I misread your post.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Bugbear in the Playground

After today's OOTS update, I'd say Hilgya has the Madness domain. How else does a high level cleric fail that will save?
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

18. - Top - End - #678

Quote Originally Posted by Seppl View Post
    The machines run The Matrix using a simplified physics model. One that is based on mathematical rules that can easily be simulated by a machine. The "real" world outside the matrix has no such limitations. Outside the matrix, the power of love and prophecies are real
    And sympathetic magic too, don't forget that
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, but not at the same scale as gun bullets: they do eventually die and you can one-hit some of the mooks. It's not a perfect headcanon.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Yes, but not at the same scale as gun bullets: they do eventually die and you can one-hit some of the mooks. It's not a perfect headcanon.
    lets continue the sling bullet vs gun bullet debate on weapons and armor threat shall we.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

21. - Top - End - #681

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    lets continue the sling bullet vs gun bullet debate on weapons and armor threat shall we.
    ???

!!!

Spoiler
    Show
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Titan in the Playground

R2-D2 doesn’t talk in beeps. That’s the censorship over his constant swearing.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ettin in the Playground

Resident Evil 4 Headcanon

Ashley isn't really that stupid - her suicidal AI and tendency to run into obvious traps is her plaga exerting influence.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Resident Evil 4 Headcanon

Ashley isn't really that stupid - her suicidal AI and tendency to run into obvious traps is her plaga exerting influence.
    I remember her AI not being too bad, but I made good use of 'wait'. Now in the cutscene where she runs directly into that one severely unlikely trap, that's where I'd accept this headcanon.

Handcannon headcanon: The sprite for the gun is wobbly not because it was a hasty addition to the game, but because it is reverberating with power.
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ogre in the Playground

Hitman (2016): Even with situs inversus, you can have a heart transplant of a normal heart and be fine. While it's not a regular operation, the doctors at the Hokkaido level would certainly be capable of this.

Then why is such a big fuss made of it?

Because Eric Soders is exactly the sort of entitled ******* who'd have an innocent killed and their organs harvested just so his ticker would match the rest of his body.
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2018-06-07 at 10:24 PM.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Except that the HP series is acknowledged as fiction in Dresdenverse; In Day Off (one of the short stories collected in Side Jobs), he runs into a group of poser wizards (basically goths with barely enough power between them to light a candle, but think they're badasses). One of them has a Slytherin tattoo, and Harry tells her chides her for it, saying "I liked the movie, too, sweetheart" (or something to that effect; I can't seem to find my copy ATM) before utterly scaring the crap out of them by pulling out his gun.
    Yeah, that's a great bit....

Spoiler: Butcher, Jim. Side Jobs (Dresden Files) (p. 157).
    Show
    “You’re the one who came to New Orleans last week.” He said it, “Nawlins,” even though the rest of his accent was Midwest standard. “You’re the one who desecrated my works.”

I blinked at him. “Whoa, wait a minute. There actually was a curse on that nice lady?”

He sneered at me. “She had earned my wrath.”

“How about that,” I said. “I figured it for some random bad feng shui.”

His sneer vanished. “What?”

“To tell you the truth, it was so minor that I only did the ritual cleansing to make her feel better and show the Paranetters how to do it for themselves in the future.” I shrugged. “Sorry about your wrath, there, Darth Wannabe.”

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Nearly Headless Nick I believe mentions that he made a choice when he died, and can't unmake it. That implies volition in the moment.
    Spoiler: Order of the Phoenix, chapter 38
    Show
    “Wizards can leave an imprint of themselves upon the earth, to walk palely where their living selves once trod,” said Nick miserably. “But very few wizards choose that path.”

“Why not?” said Harry. “Anyway – it doesn’t matter – he won’t care if it’s unusual, he’ll come back, I know he will!” […]

“He will not come back,” repeated Nick. “He will have… gone on.”

“What d’you mean, ‘gone on’?” said Harry quickly “Gone on where? Listen – what happens when you die, anyway? Where do you go? Why doesn’t everyone come back? Why isn’t this place full of ghosts? Why—?”

“I cannot answer,” said Nick.

“You’re dead, aren’t you?” said Harry exasperatedly. “Who can answer better than you?”

“I was afraid of death,” said Nick softly. “I chose to remain behind. I sometimes wonder whether I oughtn’t to have… well, that is neither here nor there… in fact, I am neither here nor there…”

He gave a small sad chuckle. “I know nothing of the secrets of death, Harry, for I chose my feeble imitation of life instead.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    The settings/inputs for the hyperspace ram attack in The Last Jedi took a significant portion of the time they were on to calculate
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    It looks like my crap keyboard cut out a couple words there. I forget the exact wording I was looking for but the gist was that it took a significant chunk of that days long chase to calculate that maneuver and that;s why all their weapons aren't based on hyperspace ramming
    Actually, I look at it not so much as calculating the jump, but spending the time MANUALLY deactivating all the safeguards in place to prevent you from intentionally aiming at another object.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

28. - Top - End - #688

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Actually, I look at it not so much as calculating the jump, but spending the time MANUALLY deactivating all the safeguards in place to prevent you from intentionally aiming at another object.
    That doesn't work though because that wouldn't be an issue on a purpose built hyperspace missile

Omegaupdate Forum

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Teen Titans Go! Is how Starfire remembers events after repressing the bad and complex thoughts.

30. - Top - End - #690

Planetar

I sometimes imagine that Rogue One:Star Wars Story is actually part of the real Star Wars canon.

It's pretty good for a glorified fan film. You just have to think that it's a "what if"-story. In this case: "What if a group of total nobodies stole the Deathstar-plans, instead of Kyle Katarn." On paper, it doesn't sound like much but the story manges to highlight the struggles of the Rebel Alliance and how many of them had to sacrifice a lot of for freedom.
    Signatures are so 90's.