New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    In Jurassic Park the T. rex can see things that don't move just fine. But in the car scene it just ate a whole goat, and in the other scenes where it might look a little slow to react, like in the third movie, it's just not pouncing the second it sees humans to not scare off its prey immediately.
    That's pretty consistent with what's seen. Even Gennaro is ripped in half, not eaten:

"I think this was Gennaro"
    "I think this was, too."

The The Lost World novel certainly takes the same tack.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-08-01 at 08:06 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    That's pretty consistent with what's seen. Even Gennaro is ripped in half, not eaten:

"I think this was Gennaro"
    "I think this was, too."

The The Lost World novel certainly takes the same tack.
    Did you forget to quote the post you replied to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

3. - Top - End - #723

It's not always necessary. If there's no gap between quote and response, you can tell what's been responded to.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-08-01 at 12:44 AM.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah. Your post doesn't read to me as a response to what Lvl 2 Expert said about the T. Rex, so I was confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

5. - Top - End - #725

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Ah. Your post doesn't read to me as a response to what Lvl 2 Expert said about the T. Rex, so I was confused.
    Amended then.

The relevant The Lost World scene:

Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah Harding said, "Why did Dodgson just stand there like that? That's not the way to act around predators. You get caught around lions, you make a lot of noise, wave your hands, throw things at them. Try to scare them off. You don't just stand there."
    "He probably read the wrong research paper," Malcolm said, shaking his head. "There's been a theory going around that tyrannosaurs can only see movement. A guy named Roxton made casts of rex braincases, and concluded that tyrannosaurs had the brain of a frog."
    The radio clicked. Levine said, "Roxton is an idiot. He doesn't know enough anatomy to have sex with his wife. His paper was a joke."
    "What paper?" Thorne said.
    The radio clicked again. "Roxton," Levine said, "believed that tyrannosaurs had a visual system like an amphibian: like a frog. A frog sees motion but doesn't see stillness. But it is quite impossible that a predator such as a tyrannosaur would have a visual system that worked that way. Quite impossible. Because the most common defense of prey animals is to freeze. A deer or something like that, it senses danger, and it freezes. A predator has to be able to see them anyway. And of course a tyrannosaur could."
    Over the radio, Levine snorted with disgust. "It's just like the other idiotic theory put forth by Grant a few years back that a tyrannosaur could be confused by a driving rainstorm, because it was not adapted to wet climates. That's equally absurd. The Cretaceous wasn't particularly dry. And in any case, tyrannosaurs are North American animals - they've only been found in the U.S. or Canada. Tyrannosaurs lived on the shores of the great inland sea, east of the Rocky Mountains. There are lots of thunderstorms on mountain slopes. I'm quite sure tyrannosaurs saw plenty of rain, and they evolved to deal with it."

"So is there any reason why a tyrannosaur might not attack somebody?" Malcolm said.
    "Yes, Of course. The most obvious one," Levine said.
    "Which is?"
    "If it wasn't hungry. If it had just eaten another animal. Anything larger than a goat would take care of its hunger for hours to come.
    No, no. The tyrannosaur sees fine, moving or still."
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-08-01 at 09:50 AM.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Firbolg in the Playground

Regarding the theory that Elsa's family from Frozen are related to Tarzan. It would only work if Frozen happened during the time period while Tarzan was still missing and presumed dead. Prince Hans' plan would not work if Tarzan were related and had already beed discovered to be still alive. In most monarchial systems kingship or queenship gained from marriage to a reigning monarch is mostly ceremonial and equivalent, at best, to a prince or princess (to the point where a lot of the monarchies still extant today have discontinued the title and just officially give them the title "prince" or "princess" instead). Unless Arendelle's system of succession is very unusual the only way a non-coronated consort to a non-coronated monarch could plausibly seize the throne with any sort of legitimacy is if their spouse had no close blood relatives (or, possibly, if there was a very very close alliance between Arendelle and the Southern Isles, which is not what we see, or if Hans and Anna were thenselves related by blood, which isn;t somewhere Disney is going to go)
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

7. - Top - End - #727

The Eragon movie was actually some rich kid who decided that writing fanfiction was for losers and got his daddy to fund an awful movie based on how HE would have written the first book.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    The Eragon movie was actually some rich kid who decided that writing fanfiction was for losers and got his daddy to fund an awful movie based on how HE would have written the first book.
    Well, given how the author of the the book was the son of the publisher... Kinda?
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

9. - Top - End - #729

In Dune the spice and the spacing guild are rackets, even moreso than is obvious. Since interstellar navigation was done by the Thinking Machines prior to AI being banned, navigation theoretically could be done by a mentat. And while the mentats were reliant on nootropics as well the impression I got was that the ones they used are significantly more cultivable
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

10. - Top - End - #730
    Dwarf in the Playground

Disney Aladdin: the Genie is prohibited from raising the dead (and possibly the other rules, though "no killing" seems to be universal) because a previous master wished for him not to. The way he describes it indicates that he has prior experience, outright saying "I don't like it". I can easily imagine a human wishing for him to revive a loved one, seeing how wrong the results were and wishing to undo it (in a way that circumnavigated the no kill rule), then wishing that the Genie to never revive the dead again (something he was more than willing to fulfill).
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.

11. - Top - End - #731

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    There are three Star Wars movies.

And all novels were written before 1999, all videogames released before 2004.

"The Quiz Broadcast" by Mitchell and Webb is set in a Vault Tec vault. Remain indoors!
    Eh. I'd rather see The Event (DON'T THINK ABOUT THE EVENT!) as something much more eldritch than just nuclear war.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by NovenFromTheSun View Post
    Disney Aladdin: the Genie is prohibited from raising the dead (and possibly the other rules, though "no killing" seems to be universal) because a previous master wished for him not to. The way he describes it indicates that he has prior experience, outright saying "I don't like it". I can easily imagine a human wishing for him to revive a loved one, seeing how wrong the results were and wishing to undo it (in a way that circumnavigated the no kill rule), then wishing that the Genie to never revive the dead again (something he was more than willing to fulfill).
    I really like this one. It actually fits with genies speech and seems totally in setting.

13. - Top - End - #733

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Well, given how the author of the the book was the son of the publisher... Kinda?
    Im talking about the movie. The movie that went out of its way to alter pretty much everything it could about the book, screwing up the timeline of events so badly that its in last season GoT territory where they are basically making it up as they go with only some notes to work with. Only about 1% as good. The book was... ok. It wasnt great, wasnt bad, it was decent. But the movie? Holy hannah montanna was that a big pile of saphirra droppings
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ogre in the Playground

Darth Vader genuinely doesn't understand that things like piloting don't come as easily to other people, which is part of the reason he is so hard on failure.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Dwarf in the Playground

Some Breath of the Wild ones:

-The Zelda universe has something called Force (not that Force) shown in Minish Cap and Spirit Tracks, among some other titles. It's described as a power in all beings and can be ebodied in a Force-Gem. I believe that the cooking effects in BotW are partially powered by Force contained in the ingredients used.

-The reason Link spent so long in the Shrine of Resurrection is because Purah and Robbie knew so little about it, so they had to prioritize keeping him from dying in the process over getting him out fast.

-The replacements for weapons you pick up are put there by the picory/minish.

And one for the series as a whole: the "Spirit of the Hero" is the player.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Darth Vader genuinely doesn't understand that things like piloting don't come as easily to other people, which is part of the reason he is so hard on failure.
    Here's a more chilly thought: Vader is only representing his training as a Jedi, which Yoda exemplifies by saying "Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try." Failure, necessarily, is trying.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Here's a more chilly thought: Vader is only representing his training as a Jedi, which Yoda exemplifies by saying "Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try." Failure, necessarily, is trying.
    I'm stealing this.
    -Waterdeep Merch.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Padme is not in love with Anakin, she is trying to keep a dangerous socialpath under control ... and fails.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ar-jar-theory/
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Weyland Yutani knew about the ship with the eggs, and was testing their effectiveness on crews of passers by- The alien would ideally kill everyone, and it'd all be recorded, then the android would bring the ship home with it's cargo and the alien too. They don't need to pay the crew and they've got something to sell. This is why the android made sure the alien got in and that they didn't freeze it.

Aliens, thus, is implausibly dumb, because WY knew the Alien ship was there and would've already taken it apart for research by then. The -drifting past people- either doesn't make sense or is a lie to sell the "50 years, you've got nothing left, do this suicidal thing for us". The premise of the sequel is thus insane! Contrast the difference between airlock scenes... My bottom line is that Aliens is bad fan-fiction that didn't understand the original, leans too much in to the Vietnam criticism, and thus shouldn't be the same universe.
    how could marines be so outlandishly incompetent? The executive dude that comes along for the ride is similarly awful, because he takes so many unnecessary risks for an alien that's abundant and firmly accessible to the company anyway.

Now, Alien 3, they get it. If Alien 3 were the sequel to Alien, it would be a better film in it's own right (No need to poorly kill off Newt et al, they didn't exist) and a better franchise on the whole.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    Weyland Yutani knew about the ship with the eggs, and was testing their effectiveness on crews of passers by- The alien would ideally kill everyone, and it'd all be recorded, then the android would bring the ship home with it's cargo and the alien too. They don't need to pay the crew and they've got something to sell. This is why the android made sure the alien got in and that they didn't freeze it.

Aliens, thus, is implausibly dumb, because WY knew the Alien ship was there and would've already taken it apart for research by then. The -drifting past people- either doesn't make sense or is a lie to sell the "50 years, you've got nothing left, do this suicidal thing for us". The premise of the sequel is thus insane! Contrast the difference between airlock scenes... My bottom line is that Aliens is bad fan-fiction that didn't understand the original, leans too much in to the Vietnam criticism, and thus shouldn't be the same universe.
    how could marines be so outlandishly incompetent? The executive dude that comes along for the ride is similarly awful, because he takes so many unnecessary risks for an alien that's abundant and firmly accessible to the company anyway.

Now, Alien 3, they get it. If Alien 3 were the sequel to Alien, it would be a better film in it's own right (No need to poorly kill off Newt et al, they didn't exist) and a better franchise on the whole.
    ... if one's headcanon is implausibly contradicted by further sequels does that mean it fails as headcanon?

That aside, this analysis misses the very likely alternative possibility that Weyland Yutani, in ordering the Nostromo to LV-426 and issuing Special Order 937, was hoping to pick up an Engineer, and was wholly ignorant of the xenomorph threat. Prometheus renders it canon that Weyland certainly knew of their existence, and the vessel certainly contains an Engineer's corpse. Weyland disappeared during Prometheus's flight with no indication of other survivors, and Alien: Covenant doesn't seem to suggest David had been in contact with Earth since the mission failed, for obvious reasons.

Nostromo then disappears with no apparent survivors. The Company doesn't have much of an incentive to go searching for it in case the text of Special Order 937 is found, specifically the 'crew expendable' element; it'd draw too much attention to the issue. Special Order 937 actually has a lot of the same callous-swine, last-minute-stupid thought that someone like Carter Burke represents and put into action. When the Company does know what it's dealing with on Fiorina in Alien 3, it sends a specialised team and doesn't mess around any further. Over the years, nobody thinks it's worth looking into any further without getting noticed or too many questions being asked, and the idea fades into history.

Ripley's beacon failing just requires a mechanical malfunction. Not implausible given the xenomorph had been monkeying around inside the lifeboat before Ripley arrived, or the damage of the subsequent atmosphere flushing.

Drifting through the core systems and remaining undiscovered for 57 years in deep space is very much not implausible. Space is big. And contains a lot of random trash which isn't being monitored. The Narcissus without a beacon blaring would've had no different a magnetic profile than a passing asteroid off to see the universe: Alan Dean Foster's novelisation of Aliens runs through the case pretty eloquently.

Aliens therefore has a perfectly plausible premise: minor Company man hears Ripley's story, cross-references with old Weyland files out that way, transmits location to dumb colonists, and then to cover his mistakes resorts to increasingly more desperate measures to get the alien back and get himself set up for life.

21. - Top - End - #741

The world of Zootopia has a Soylent Green type thing going on and that's how they maintain harmony between rpredators and herbivores

Omegaupdate Forum

22. - Top - End - #742
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

I can't possibly see how they'd hope to pick up an engineer. Everything you say sounds reasonable on the surface level, but when you think about each thing, it doesn't. Space'd be full of satelites looking for that kind of thing, and as Rippley expected to be back in months rather than decades, she might as well've gone beyond the scope of humanity's territory with 50 years adrift. How could the WY guys not have noticed the ship when looking at the planet for a colony, do they just slap them down blind?

Alien and Aliens are too different a movie. Alien is a sci fi, Aliens is a fantasy. The sequel goes against every subtext the first film had, and plausibility is out the window too.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    I can't possibly see how they'd hope to pick up an engineer. Everything you say sounds reasonable on the surface level, but when you think about each thing, it doesn't. Space'd be full of satelites looking for that kind of thing, and as Rippley expected to be back in months rather than decades, she might as well've gone beyond the scope of humanity's territory with 50 years adrift. How could the WY guys not have noticed the ship when looking at the planet for a colony, do they just slap them down blind?
    Well, let's cover that last issue first. LV-426's atmosphere -- as depicted in the original film -- is thick with dust and other material. The Nostromo was damaged on setting down as it was. Those factors might well have made the ship difficult to see or detect for the purposes of terraforming; the whole point of the Acheron colony was that it was set up with an atmosphere processor to make the air fully breathable. This does get us onto a related question, though, one that even a provisional skipping of Aliens doesn't solve: what happened to the distress beacon? Nobody deactivates the beacon from Nostromo, and if the company knew the location of the beacon and the ship there'd be zero need to get all shocked and shaken when Ripley throws herself off the platform in Alien 3, they've got a whole shipful of eggs to work with or on. (If one is prepared to admit Alien: Isolation as canon, that solves the plothole: the next ship that went to LV-426 also deactivated the beacon at the same time.)

As far as where Ripley could've wound up with 50 years adrift and beyond the scope of humanity's territory that long adrift - this is where the travel mechanics of it all get a bit wiggy, because 50 years of travelling at below lightspeed doesn't really get you out of the back yard in stellar terms.

Ripley's concluding dialogue into the ship's log is that she "should reach the frontier in about six weeks and that with a little luck, the network will pick me up."

So, there might well be a network of satellites in place as you say, but even with that, she was uncertain about whether or not they'd actually detect her. She was just unlucky enough not to be picked up.

Only explanation I can think of is that she programmed the Narcissus to fire a long acceleration burn to get her up to a pretty respectable fraction of lightspeed and then cut out and allow momentum (consequent on Newton's First Law) to carry her towards civilised systems. Once she'd programmed the Narcissus, she then got into the hypersleep pod, went to sleep, and waited for rescue - which never came because, like it or not, she was unlucky.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

DBZ: Goten and Kid Trunks reached super saiyan early due to the latent presence of Majin energy on the planet.

Final Fantasy: All of the games take place on different planets in the same solar system, and the events ripple into each other. Kefka's disruption of his planet led to the events in FF7, drawing Jenova's attention but then when magic disappeared it redirected to a nearby planet.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    DBZ: Goten and Kid Trunks reached super saiyan early due to the latent presence of Majin energy on the planet.

Final Fantasy: All of the games take place on different planets in the same solar system, and the events ripple into each other. Kefka's disruption of his planet led to the events in FF7, drawing Jenova's attention but then when magic disappeared it redirected to a nearby planet.
    If you believe The After Years (don't) all the pre-PS1 games are related to each other by having the crystals seeded by an all-powerful 'Creator' that you beat up at the end. But don't. Seriously The After Years is bad.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

26. - Top - End - #746
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    that kinda explains why the f dragoon concept is in both medieval steam punk and way in the future game in same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Orc in the Playground

@Saintheart

I think it was pretty strongly implied that the reactor explosion destroyed the alien vessel and all the eggs:

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop
    "In 19 minutes, this area is gonna be a cloud of vapor the size of Nebraska."

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by oudeis View Post
    @Saintheart

I think it was pretty strongly implied that the reactor explosion destroyed the alien vessel and all the eggs:
    Bishop tells us how far the explosion is likely to go:

Hicks: How long til it blows?
    Bishop: Four hours. Blast radius of about thirty kilometres. Equal to about forty megatons.

So if the alien vessel is more than 30 km out from the colony, it wasn't destroyed. We aren't given an exact measurement for how far it was, but in the deleted scenes from Aliens that particular grid point is said to be out "in the middle of nowhere", "out past the Ilium Range". I grant you the novelisation of Alien Resurrection claims the explosion took out the alien vessel, but I don't know if that was the intended outcome in Aliens.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

If i say "What's your favorite headcanon ?" is my favorite headcanon ,what do you think about ?

30. - Top - End - #750
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NovenFromTheSun View Post
    I concur with this, as it fits with what we see with djinnis later in the series and magic in general. We know that raising the dead DOES work in that universe, because as of the Hercules/Aladdin TV shows crossover we see Jafar be raised by Hades to take down Hercules with magic.

The djinni are shown to be powerful- Jafar briefly claims to be able to command the universe before his bindings hold and he is under the same controls as Genie. Infinite cosmic power...

So yeah, I feel that it's probably a case of somebody wishing that he never grants that wish.

The question, however, is why is Jafar as limited as Genie when Jafar is a djinni in Return of Jafar? He cannot kill people ("but you'd be surprised what you can live through"), he has to obey his master (of course, he can be a **** to him despite that).

Nobody asks him to raise the dead, or make anybody fall in love with anybody, or even duplicate wishes (most of what he does in the movie seems to fall under the limits of 'friend like me examples of magic' scene Genie does in the previous movie, wishless conjurations of gold, baklava, and dancing girls with Robin Williams voices, which are presumably dismissable at will and non-permanent) but if they did... it's an interesting question to see what happens. Jafar's smart, he might be able to circumvent those rules if they apply to him (is it raising the dead if you conjure a duplicate of that person?)
    Last edited by Malphegor; 2018-09-20 at 03:39 AM.