New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Spoiler:

Spoiler
    Show
    That's why it's called a headcanon
    And this is why I think the whole concept of "headcanon" as commonly used is fundamentally flawed.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I don't see how that's possible since all three of them are gone forever.
    IIRC, one of them was lost within the bowels of the world, so its not inconceivable that the dwarves would eventually stumble upon it.

If they did though, its a pretty wussy Silmaril.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    IIRC, one of them was lost within the bowels of the world, so its not inconceivable that the dwarves would eventually stumble upon it.

If they did though, its a pretty wussy Silmaril.
    That was in Beleriand, which, you may note, is quite a ways away from the Lonely Mountain. It also no longer exists, so that's a bit of a hurdle, too.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

Another problem is that the Silmarils have devastating effects on mortals and anyone with a trace of evil in them (Beren was the only mortal able to hold a Silmari without it burning his hand). Bilbo handles the Arkenstone very easily.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amaril View Post
    Ahem.tencharacters
    I've spent far too many hours reading that stuff.

Lets see... My favorite head-cannon is probably the idea that the Force does have a light side and that it's truest power comes from Love. At the same time, there cannot be this Light Side without the Dark Side. Very Wheel of Time esque sort of lesson. Is that how you spell esque? Been wondering about that.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Another problem is that the Silmarils have devastating effects on mortals and anyone with a trace of evil in them (Beren was the only mortal able to hold a Silmari without it burning his hand). Bilbo handles the Arkenstone very easily.
    I only remember it burning evil people.

(btw, by "mortals" there do you mean not elves or not ainur?)
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

7. - Top - End - #67

Not elves, presumably - Feanor was able to make them and wear them, and his sons expected to be able to pick them up after the fall of Morgoth (They got burnt).

"And Varda hallowed the Silmarils so that thereafter no mortal flesh, nor hands unclean, nor anything of evil will might touch them, but it was scorched and withered."

It's discussed here:

http://www.lotrplaza.com/archives/in...Age&TID=208813

and the implication seems to be that the jewel chose not to burn Beren, as an exemption to the "no mortal flesh" thing.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2017-02-19 at 12:59 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Since there's been some complaints about the nature of current fan habits, I'll add that in writing knowing what not to say is as important as knowing what to say. The desire to explain everything leads to convoluted nonsense that suppresses the ability of you audience to imagine, and fill in the gaps themselves.

In that vein:

The Emperor was not mutilated by the backlash of Force Lightning. He didn't lose a glamour, none of this happened. Palpatine is hideously withered in the OT because he's old and sustaining himself with the corrosive power of the dark side.

The Kessel run didn't happen. Han tried to bluff an ignorant farm boy and Obi-wan's disbelieving look indicated he's nobodies fool. By the time of Episode 7 Rey is quoting an infamous urban legend. The fact that Rey believes something completely impossible is because that's what otherwise smart people occasionally do with legends in the real world.

People did not require a 12 step Lion turtles program to unlock bending. It's simply something people learned through observation and instruction with the rest of the natural world.

The Avatar is the spirit of the planet, the great mediator and upholder of balance, it is not a personification of light locked in a painfully cliché dualistic struggle to overcome its chaotic evil opposite.

9. - Top - End - #69

Equestria's atmosphere has an extremely high index of refraction. The sonic rainboom is Cherenkov radiation
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amaril View Post
    The story of Naruto as we know it is not the story as it "really happened"--it's a mythic retelling, viewed from far in the future of the setting, based on the actions of real people, but greatly distorted by time and dramatic license. This helps explain the insane power level it gets up to (in my mind, the "real" shinobi of the setting have always been far weaker than those we see in the story), and the nonsensical personalities and actions of the characters.
    I'd buy that. It'd explain Madara's no selling until he's dumped for the new threat, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Huh that's right. Outright denial is headcanon.
    So, then. There was only two Alien movies. Peter Parker never died in the Ultimate Universe, his marriage is still intact in the normal universe, etc etc.
    That's Fanon Discontinuity, a related but different concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Oh here's one, Shepherd Book is an ex-Alliance Operative, not the weird backstory he was given in his comic tie in.
    That makes way more sense. I can see why Whedon didn't use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The Star Wars movies are not an exact depiction of the events therein. They are relayed to us by an unreliable narrator, and that narrator is R2-D2.

R2 may be a droid, but he was programed with creativity in order to find unexpected solutions to mechanical problems. This also makes him a subjective voice. Nevertheless, he is one of the only beings who witnessed firsthand the rise and fall of the Empire. Since we can see in the Force Awakens that records were lost during that time, it's reasonable to assume that at some point R2 was called in to tell the story, and the version we saw was that story.

It explains so many problems. First, it explains why R2 is prominently featured in all six movies. Other important things certainly happened, but R2 wasn't there for that. This is also why R2 is such a badass all the time. He fudges the story and inflates his importance. After all, anyone who could possibly argue with him is dead.

This also serves to explain the shoddy writing vis-a-vis the romance. R2 may have creativity, but he's still a robot incapable of understanding love, so his telling of the two main romances in the series are stale and almost clinical. This also helps explain the inexplicable Padme death. In reality, Padme died of regular complications (after all, there's plenty of evidence that the Star Wars universe has some rather awful medical science). However, after the fact, someone spoke metaphorically that she died of a broken heart, and R2 took that literally, being a robot and all.

It also helps explain C3PO's near-slapstick bumbling. The two are often at each other's throats like argumentative brothers, and this story is R2's passive-aggressive revenge.

Lastly, it explains the midichlorians. The Force is a mystical thing beyond scientific explanation, and as a droid, R2 cannot comprehend it. Perhaps at some point, someone tried to explain it to him as being like extra software that allows further capability, and R2, again, took things literally and decided that Force users must have extra cells or something. The midichlorians are a complete invention by R2 to help him explain the unexplainable.
    Of all of these, that make the most sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I can't remember my favourite, but the one on top of my head that's basically makes too much sense is that the commonly mentioned theory that James Bond is a code name, used by multiple agents across generations.

Edit: More that I can remember from the top of my head.

In FFXIV, exist beings named primals. They're people's belief given form by the planet's living force. Each of beast races and some other have their own primals, which they consider their gods. Some primals doesn't take form of gods, but legendary heroes from the race's legends, like the moogle's primal which is the legendary first king of the moogle. They're super strong, and most importantly, they're not the actual legendary heroes. They're what the collective think the hero would be. So Primal King Mog's personality is what collectively the moogles thought how he'd act according to legends, Primal Bahamut's personality is more destructive than the actual legendary dragon Bahamut that's dead thousands of years ago, etc. They're usually summoned when the race faces some threats or invasion.

I like the headcanon that the main character, is Eorzea civilized race's collective primal. That's why he appears when the continent faces an apocalyptic threat, super powerful, resistant to other primal's influence, and have vague personality.

Also related, an existing person can transform into a primal. There's this character, Lady Iceheart, who can turn into Shiva and back into Iceheart, using the focused belief of her followers.

That means, in Dragon Ball Super, when Goku collect the surviving Saiyan's ki to turn into Super Saiyan God?

He's Saiyan Primal. Super Saiyan God is Saiyan Race's Primal. The reason why it's hardly ever summoned before, is because Saiyan Race is a bickering race that can never gather enough focused belief to summon a Super Saiyan God. But now that there's a small number of Saiyan Race, and they all are friends, they can summon the primal whenever needed.
    Then how do you explain Vegeta going SSG?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Ross never says Rachel's name at the altar. He marries Emily like he should, Rachel ends up with someobe else, they both are happily married, and we don't have another 5 seasons of Ross and Rachel relationship drama.

Or, if you want Ross and Rachel to end up together, they do in season 2, and we avoid EIGHT seasons of drama.

Supernatural ends at the end of season 5.

Community ends at Season 4.
    See Fanon discontinuity above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Since there's been some complaints about the nature of current fan habits, I'll add that in writing knowing what not to say is as important as knowing what to say. The desire to explain everything leads to convoluted nonsense that suppresses the ability of you audience to imagine, and fill in the gaps themselves.

In that vein:

The Kessel run didn't happen. Han tried to bluff an ignorant farm boy and Obi-wan's disbelieving look indicated he's nobodies fool. By the time of Episode 7 Rey is quoting an infamous urban legend. The fact that Rey believes something completely impossible is because that's what otherwise smart people occasionally do with legends in the real world.
    I prefer the version where he said the wrong thing and people have been giving him guff about it for decades now.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

11. - Top - End - #71

In an act of extreme cowardice, Marty Jannetty tried to dive through the window to escape from Shawn Michaels.

Destroy ending of ME3, Shepard survives and goes on to have a quiet retirement with his LI.

Alto ends up with Ranka after the events of Macross F.

The new Star Wars trilogy is actually Luke's dying dreams many dozens of years down the line after the events of the EU. I want the Rogues and the Wraiths back, damnit!
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    I prefer the version where he said the wrong thing and people have been giving him guff about it for decades now.
    Actually, I prefer the theory that when Han mentions "parsecs" he is literally talking about distance - he managed to use a shorter route by cutting closer to dangerous objects in hyperspace. At one point he even mentions how difficult plotting routes in hyperspace is.

Obi-wan is simply giving him a look because he is grandstanding.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

The Chronicles of Narnia
    After the Last Battle and the loss of her entire family, Susan is left to at first grieve her loss. Yet after this she'll remember what their original plan was. She'll set off to find the rings from the Magician's Nephew like the others originally planned to use to return to Narnia, and after a series of harrowing adventures in these other worlds she will finally make her way back to Narnia and be reunited with her family.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

My view on the prequels is that the Empire went to extraordinary lengths to hide what actually happened.
    The "Sith" are actually a black ops organisation established by Jedi Families to secure their position and power in the Republic.
    Part of this is insuring the Jedi are never threatened by other Force Traditions with their official guardians being called Republic Knights of whom Obi-Wan was a member.
    When the Republic established the Clone Armies to secure their power as their standing army made up of conscripts from the various member worlds chose to withdraw them after it became clear the Separatists were being funded by the Jedi Families to takeover the Senate placing their leader Count Dooku in charge.
    Palpatine recognising the opportunity assumed Dooku's role once he was killed by Anakin.
    When the Republic fell Obi-Wan became a Jedi Knight or Ronin as he refused to serve the Empire.
    The remaining loyal Republic Knights became Imperial Knights who serve an Inquisitor with Vader as the Grand Inquisitor.
    Anakin died on Mustafar, Palpatine cloned him but kept this fact a secret little realising it allowed Luke the ability to turn him back to the light something that wasn't thought possible.

15. - Top - End - #75

The Kessel Run thing, isnt it in the original script that its supposed to be han trying to bluff some rubes while obi wan eye rolls so hard he sprains something? It didnt come off that way very well, but im pretty sure thats actual cannon.

Harry Dresden is running through an extensive campaign to test him for the position of Sorcerer Supreme. In several ways it makes sense. He is learning to use magical power from all different sources while avoiding being corrupted by it. From
    Spoiler
    Show
    dark wizard magic, to controlling the sentient island, to fae magic through his knighthood. He has done deals with demons, vamps of most courts, and has even faced down some outsiders I believe. He has worked with gods in multiple guises (mainly just the one)
    So yeah, im thinking, last book suddenly mister "hey I can levitate with my cloak!" will show up and say, "Good work harry, now you get to be the real boss wizard of this planet. Feel free to tell the merlin where he can shove it."
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    Destroy ending of ME3, Shepard survives and goes on to have a quiet retirement with his LI.
    That's canon. Seriously.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

17. - Top - End - #77

That's canon. Seriously.
    I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, or what, but last I had heard, the devs said there is no canon.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Another silly Star Wars headcanon: The Empire offers a very generous pension for Stormtroopers who get injured in combat but only a small one in case of death. Unbeknownst to most, the infamous Stormtrooper armor has a reactive component that euthanizes the soldier when they get shot. Unfortunately that part may be a bit too sensitive, triggering even when a teddy bear throws a rock at the trooper.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Dresden Stuff
    Basically.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean he's more or less already there, if not in title then at the very least in action.

It's heavily implied that Harry is in fact the descendant of Merlin (if not magically, then at the very least in terms of master to apprentice), the creator of the Island, and he has the ability to affect outsiders with his magic (which is how he beats He Who Walks Behind). Coupled with the other magical nick nacks that he's accumulated over the years (Faerie Magic, Soulfire etc.) and he's probably one of the most powerful vanguards against the outsiders that exists. Plus he's got that weapon from Hade's vault (whatever it does).
    Fantastic avatar by Akrim.elf.

20. - Top - End - #80

Then how do you explain Vegeta going SSG?
    Well simple, any saiyan that can gather enough focused belief by other saiyan and has proper technique can be the vessel of Super Saiyan Primal (god). But other saiyan must trust them to be powerful enough basically, since as I mentioned, a Primal is people's belief made form. So maybe if say, Goku and Vegeta are unavailable, and Trunks try to gather everyone's belief to be Saiyan Primal, people's nagging doubt will prevent him from becoming one. But if he can convince everyone that he's worthy of godly ki, maybe he can.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

The Grand Highblood and Rose

22. - Top - End - #82

Snoke is a sith holocron

Omegaupdate Forum

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

40k: Gork and Mork are the "teenage" versions of Khorne and Tzeentch. They still exist alongside their "adult" counterparts because Warp shenanigans.

Freedom Planet: Lord Brevon did in fact get his name by selling cookies, long story.

Ultima: In the first three games the player character was just going along with what that crazy guy calling himself Lord British said because he or she wanted to go home. By IV though they actually started caring about this place they kept ending up in.

RWBY: those with more subtle Semblances are usually taught keep theirs secret. Those with more obvious ones prefer to show them off.

Super Mario Brothers: Mario, Peach, and Bowser don't really take the whole kidnaping and rescuing thing all that seriously anymore after fighting Smithy.
    Last edited by NovenFromTheSun; 2017-02-20 at 07:11 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, or what, but last I had heard, the devs said there is no canon.
    Well let's put it this way: If you pick Destroy, this is what happens.
    That Bioware officially haven't decided what ending is the correct one is another matter.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

25. - Top - End - #85
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Sherlock Holmes: Porlock was Moriarty, and the "dear me" letter excited such complete recognition of the situation because it was in Porlock's handwriting.

Death Note: The most successful criminals work via the fake ID market, holding their victims' true identity over their heads and conscripting them to de their bidding.

Elder Scrolls: As of Skyrim, Bruma is a maddening nest of tacit nose-thumbers. The cathedral is now dedicated to Saint Martin and houses the relics of the Battle of the Sigil. The statue in front now depicts a severely angry wolf, a commission by the Count's beloved idiot nephew. The City Watch has grabbed the vacant property to the north as a good vantage point. On account of the heavy winter snows, there are poles marking the passage between all major buildings. On account of Bruma having done the precise opposite of winning the lottery with their chosen crest, those poles (and things that cry out for adornment generally) are festooned with Dragon banners. These stretch all the way out to the previous housing place for the relics of the Battle of the Sigil, out on the plains, which has now been thoughtfully granted to the Thalmor as the Embassy of North Nibenay.

NB: None of my favorite headcanons are in direct contradiction to what's canonically established. In my eyes, headcanons are more imaginative leaps than gripes.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NovenFromTheSun View Post
    Super Mario Brothers: Mario, Peach, and Bowser don't really take the whole kidnaping and rescuing thing all that seriously anymore after fighting Smithy.
    The Mario gang never took any of it "seriously" because it's never been real. They are all actors in typecast roles, which is why they go from mortal enemies in one game to allies in the next with no internal consistency or continuity and even cross genre frequently. That's also why so many of the games look like the happen on a literal stage (most notably the Paper Mario games).
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

27. - Top - End - #87

Well let's put it this way: If you pick Destroy, this is what happens.
    That Bioware officially haven't decided what ending is the correct one is another matter.
    Okay, I feel like I'm still not correctly parsing what you're saying. Because, yeah, obviously that's what happens if you pick Destroy. I've played the game, I know what happens in the different endings, that's why I have a headcanon about it. I meant that in the sense that to me, Shepard picks the Destroy ending. It is my headcanon that she decides that the sacrifices are worth ending the cycle, and then she goes on to survive that, because that is what happens in the game.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, my headcanon is the choice, not the aftermath.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

"head canon", to me, means filling in gaps in a story or narrative in a way that makes sense to you. It does not mean your alternate universe retelling of a story, or "how you wished it had happened". Whatever an author or film maker put out there is "canon", your "head canon" can't contradict any of that, but interpret and flesh-out those things.

In my Star Wars head canon (based only on films, not novelizations that I haven't read), Vader knew or suspected that his and Padme's child had survived, and that Obi Wan and/or Yoda were likely protecting it and hiding from him with Force powers. At the end of Episode IV, he knew or strongly suspected that the X-Wing pilot was that child, since it could be no coincidence that Obi Wan had revealed himself just then.

Between films, Vader plotted and meditated on what to do and was resolved to overthrow the Emperor with the help of his son. He never really trusted or was loyal to Palpatine, he turned for the power and remained under his thumb out of fear and believing he would be taught more force secrets. After so many years of not being taught the secrets over life-and-death that Palpatine had hinted that he possessed or knew how to find, Vader finally decided he was ready. Vader's offer to Luke at the end of Ep V was genuine, he wouldn't have brought him to the emperor and he really wanted to bring justice and stability to the galaxy (through absolute power/control, of course). And he still had love for Padme and wanted their child safe and by his side (he doesn't know about twins yet, that happens on screen during the final duel).

Luke's training period in between Ep V and VI involved at least some brief visits to Yoda prior to his death, he didn't just learn all the force skill he is shown to have at the beginning of Ep VI by self teaching.

Vader, again, knew this was happening and let it go on without interruption - he wanted Luke strong and ready to help him take out Palpatine when next they met. He probably kept his distance from Palpatine during this whole period, in an effort to keep his thoughts and feelings hidden. However, he did not feel confident in killing Palpatine at this exact point - he had a longer term plan which did involve crushing the Rebellion and taking control of the Empire in a semi-legitimate way, at which point he could change some things and make it "better" than it had been under Palpatine. Killing the emperor right there, on the Death Star, would have thrown the entire Imperial Fleet into chaos (based on his use of the force in battle control, yet another power Palpatine refused to teach Vader, as revealed in Zahn's first trilogy, which is amazing and is included in my head canon). This is why Vader engages in the duel with Luke rather than just jumping in to murder the Emperor right there. He DID want the rebellion ended, and he would wait to kill the emperor until after that was completed, and he could bring Luke in on his plot to use the loyalty of the Imperial military to stage a coup.

Head canon for Lord of the Rings - Elbereth/Varda and Manwe are closely watching the situation. Whenever the Eagles arrive and agree to help, this is a sign that Manwe is exerting his influence and is aware that the forces of light need a boost. This is why they only come in at the last minute, too - just as Gandalf is required to restrict his use of power, so too the Valar adhere to this mandate for Middle Earth (it is ordered by Eru). The Eagles, are in effect, lesser angelic messengers and servants of Manwe, which is why at the end of the battle one flies over Minas Tirith announcing triumph in a manner that is very biblical/book of revelations in feel. Why they are always there specifically to rescue Gandalf and get him back to where he needs to be.

Whenever Frodo inexplicably cries out Elbereth's name, when he grasps the phial and it glows, she is hearing him and some amount of protection or inspiration from her is in effect - She is described as one who hears all in the world, her ears and Manwe's gaze are certainly fixed on Middle Earth and the quest of the Ring. That phial is a mini-silmaril - captured light from the only remaining silmaril (the morning star/Earendil) - which is the light of the trees that drives away all darkness.

This may be a very common or obvious interpretation, but since it is never literally spelled out by Tolkien, it is "head canon". I think the inclusion of the statement in Silmarillion that Manwe "sees all" and Varda "hears all", and that eagles were his heralds and symbols in the undying lands, are meant to reveal these things about LotR to the readers.
    Last edited by Thrudd; 2017-02-20 at 11:56 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

I lost interest in the Silmarillion at about the point where I started confusing characters with "fin" in their name with one another (this was some time shortly after Maedhros' predicament on the cliffside; I will freely admit that part was awesome), but I 100% support this theory.
    Last edited by DomaDoma; 2017-02-20 at 01:05 PM.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    "head canon", to me, means filling in gaps in a story or narrative in a way that makes sense to you. It does not mean your alternate universe retelling of a story, or "how you wished it had happened". Whatever an author or film maker put out there is "canon", your "head canon" can't contradict any of that, but interpret and flesh-out those things.
    To make a meta argument though for canonicity, 'headcanon' isn't used in that exclusive a manner though. Usage is ultimately the only authority on a word's meaning, especially with Neologisms. In fact, the 'I substitute my meaning for the original' is more intuitive, because the usage of the term canon seems unnecessary for what's essentially, this is my interpretation of the story, or of the story's background. The influence of the Powers in LOTR isn't even filling in a gap, it's merely one of a set of possible conclusions regarding Tolkien's subtext on that subject. From a literary standpoint, giving a term to frame one's interpretation of a work is somewhere East of Morder in saying, this is my opinion in your persuasive essay.

Headcanon isn't any better really though for reality substitution, because it denotes one feels the need to imply an independent universe for preference. You don't. 'This part of the writing was absurd, this is how it should have happened' needs no defense. That's the artistic freedom of criticism. The other issue is that canon itself can be prone to contradiction when it isn't being altered, so even the more gap filling creation requires some personal intrusion. Copyright law is not something I esteem particularly highly when discussing the merits of one's personal significance with a work, either as a creator or receiver. For most of history people simply altered previous works anyway they wanted without some dodgy claim to supreme authority.

People sharing their interpretations either way is fine, but regardless the term seems rather pretentiously unnecessary.