New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1201

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

So yet another example of cocaine wizards at work? Sounds good enough to me.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Troll in the Playground

Taking one from John Oliver (who's probably not the first one to come up with this either, but I digress):

R2D2 doesn't talk in bleeps, his speech is just so peppered with slurs and swears that they had to bleep all of it.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Troll in the Playground

In Warhammer 40K Konrad Curze, Primarch of the Night Lords is deep down sickened by his own monstrous nature and is subconsciously trying to get himself killed. He finally cannot bear it anymore and lets a mortal assassin kill him cloaking it in a ridiculous philosophical lesson as a fig leaf to hide the truth of it
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Friends - Ross and Rachel's second brief get back together.

The group went to a beach house. Rachel convinces Ross's girl friend Bonnie to shave her head. Then convinces Ross to dump the girl and get back together with her. Ross has an difficult break up with Bonnie. Goes to Rachel, who hands him a hand written 15 page letter (front and back) detailing her feelings on them getting back together and won't get back together with him unless he reads it and agrees with it. (He falls asleep while reading).

Problem: When the frak did she have time to write that? It is implied that she writes it while Ross is breaking up with Bonnie. But I have trouble believing that. If we assume that 1 page typed equals 3 hand written pages, then Rachel has done the equivalent of writing a 10 page typed essay in under two hours. It strains credibility. So I believe that she wrote that letter in advance, that she had been writing it over the 4 months of their break up, which its why it rambles on and has poor spelling. (Ross's description). And she has no idea that's she's sabotaging herself by having Ross read it.

Ross has severe emotional issues from his first marriage with Carol, which get worse over the series as he never seeks therapy to address it. It leads to jealousy and paranoia over Rachel's male-relations, including non-sexual ones. Phoebe even calls him out on this. But it isn't until the last season that he does any emotional introspection.

Edit: when I wrote essays for college the page length did not include citations or bibliography.
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2019-06-15 at 03:10 PM.
    Hello world. . .

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    Problem: When the frak did she have time to write that? It is implied that she writes it while Ross is breaking up with Bonnie. But I have trouble believing that. If we assume that 1 page typed equals 3 hand written pages, then Rachel has done the equivalent of writing a 10 page essay in under two hours. It strains credibility. So I believe that she wrote that letter in advance, that she had been writing it over the 4 months of their break up, which its why it rambles on and has poor spelling. (Ross's description). And she has no idea that's she's sabotaging herself by having Ross read it.
    This assumes pretty minimal use of white space - and a ten page essay is full of citations as a rule, along with checking notes. A ten page letter? There's none of that, and while it sounds like Rachel isn't the greatest writer I can say that I can and have pounded out ten pages of writing in less than two hours multiple times for school.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Firbolg in the Playground

In My Little Pony the rainbow created by a sonic rainboom is a form of cherenkov radiation
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    In My Little Pony the rainbow created by a sonic rainboom is a form of cherenkov radiation
    So the rainbow becomes something important later in the series? I see. /nods seriously.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Troll in the Playground

There are some clear differences between the monsters Zilla/Godzilla '98 and Zilla Jr./Godzilla the Series, most notably the latter having atomic breath and being much more aggressive/likely to engage an enemy rather than running away. Junior is also identified as a male while the movie states all members of the species are self fertilizing females (which is apparently a real thing distinct from self fertilizing hermaphrodites).

My headcanon is that these are not just changes made to appeal to classic Godzilla fans, the species actually has two genders, with males being very rare, similar to the situation in roundworms like C. elegans. Almost all of the zillas being self fertilizing females means the species won't go extinct due to them not finding partners in their gigantic territories, and the males add a way to build genetic diversity. Males are more dangerous and more aggressive because they're the ones who go out looking for partners, as it is their only way to reproduce. (Which is why Junior is in the first episode deemed unable to reproduce, he's alone.)

My extended headcanon is that if the males have such a live free and die young attitude while the females seem much more carefull and more numerous to boot, females might be able to live to a very old age, and they keep slowly increasing in size throughout that time. Ones they become big enough to manhandle males around they can gain a kind of queen status, with several males staying in adjacent territories to mate and keep an eye out for intruders, knowing that this nest has a much better chance than average to result in offspring that reaches reproductive age itself.

And its a queenzilla like this that in my extended headcanon functions as the main monster of Zilla 2, the first one ever discovered by an underequipped team of down on their luck professional zilla hunters, which has become a thing in the decades (I'm up for as big a time skip as needed) since the not quite extermination of the nest in New York. With the worldwide extermination efforts going pretty bad as it is, can they prevent the kaijupocalypse?
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Alien, Predator, Predators, AVP 1999 and it's monolithic sequel is the canon. 'cause they're the good ones that don't break others (ok, Predators is mediocre, but it stands alone without hurting others)

Johny LaRusso was clearly the badguy in the Karate kid.

All the Looney Toons 'villains' are completely justified in their actions against the smart 'heroes'. Road runner, bugs... they're all *****.

The Browncoats in Firefly were probably just as bad as the Alliance if not worse, though I'll give the browncoats that they're more fashionable (then again, badguys generally are more fashionable)

Superman's an earthling from the future, as originally intended, and the krypytonite story is used to stop human society from panicking about their future.
    Last edited by The Jack; 2019-05-14 at 06:08 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    Superman's an earthling from the future, as originally intended, and the kyrpyonite story is used to stop human society from panicking about their future.
    This one is actually true in the Red Son continuity.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Tom Bombadil is actually Melkor gone into hiding. Who else is immune to the effects of the Ring? All Mayars including Sauron himself are influenced by it. So, he is either Valar, or Eru himself. Tolkien confirmed that Tom isn't Eru. So he must be Valar. And we know where all others Valars are.

Who is Goldberry then? That's harder, but there ever was just one female creature ever associated with Melkor - Ungoliant.

So, both live happily, neither banished, nor imprisoned, nor self devoured.

And they wait... they wait until all others powerful creatures are destroyed, gone or willingly die of old age. And after that they will triumphantly return. And Middle Earth will know what truly terror is.
    Last edited by Edreyn; 2019-05-14 at 07:28 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Edreyn View Post
    Tom Bombadil is actually Melkor gone into hiding. Who else is immune to the effects of the Ring? All Mayars including Sauron himself are influenced by it. So, he is either Valar, or Eru himself. Tolkien confirmed that Tom isn't Eru. So he must be Valar. And we know where all others Valars are.

Who is Goldberry then? That's harder, but there ever was just one female creature ever associated with Melkor - Ungoliant.

And they wait... they wait until all others powerful creatures are destroyed, gone or willingly die of old age. And after that they will triumphantly return. And Middle Earth will know what truly terror is.
    I talked about Oldest and Fatherless earlier in this thread. I like your elaboration.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edreyn View Post

There's a bunch of holes in that:
    Shelob isn't affected by the Ring either so being a Vala was never a requisite for that. How powerful you are has no bearing on wether you ca resist the ring or not, it's about what you want.
    You rule out all the other Valar because "we know where they are" but we know where Morgoth is too: beyond the circles of the world and unlike the other Valar he is held prisoner while they are free to go as they please inside, from and to Valinor. If Bombadil was a Vala, Lorien/Irmo is a much better fit personality-wise.
    How exactly did Morgoth escape? How did he heal his injuries (burnt face and hands, talon scars on face, feet cut, seven different wounds inflicted by Fingolfin) and how did he regain the ability to shape-change?
    Since when are Ungoliant and Morgoth in love? (You also forget the other named woman in Morgoth's host: Thuringwethil)

and finally, Morgoth is waiting for Sauron and the Valar to be destroyed or die of old age? Why would he ever think that would happen?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Titan in the Playground

Arya doesn't know it yet, but she's sailing off to a land of green-eyed people who don't think women can do anything.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's one regarding How I Met Your Mother (the US sitcom), as an extension of the finale's reveal:

Ted is an unreliable narrator that is making Barney look like a much more horrible person than he really is.

Spoiler
    Show
    So that Ted's kids won't think too badly of his chasing Robin after the Mother dies and Barney and Robin split up.
    Last edited by Gnoman; 2019-05-21 at 09:48 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1216

The RPG Paranoia takes place in the same universe as the Fallout videogames. Alpha Complex is one of the Vaults.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2019-06-13 at 08:11 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Titan in the Playground

The Four State of Metaphysics:
    Most magic systems in media actually follow certain rules about the state of its magic, namely the more magic is introduced the more the physics of the setting enter states of less structure, much like the states of matter.

Solid Metaphysics is just normal real world rules. ground state.

Liquid metaphysics is when magic is introduced and is most common state of magic seen. the world is more flexible and more things are possible, but still follows consistent rules and limitations. most beings with magic are at this state

Gaseous Metaphysics is high amounts of magic are flying around and the users are godlike, seemingly able make up what they can do with it to a certain extent, but some rooms are still loosely followed, this level metaphysics is often seen with divinities, and other mythical beings.

Plasma Metaphysics is too much magic. Anyone or anything that gets touched by this state instantly disintegrates or is destroyed from magical overload. Often seen by those who absorb too much magic and overloads with power.

and quite simply, different places and things have different magical levels where they enter one metaphysics or another like temperature. this explains why some media break rules that were previously held at climactic moments or whatever, there is so much magic around that it makes the rules too gaseous to apply.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The Prequel movies are being told from the viewpoint of C3-P0 who given he was mindwiped relies on questionable records of the past and makes up the rest as he goes along!

That's why the Jedi seem so over the top and how questionable their downfall was.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    The Prequel movies are being told from the viewpoint of C3-P0 who given he was mindwiped relies on questionable records of the past and makes up the rest as he goes along!

That's why the Jedi seem so over the top and how questionable their downfall was.
    Interestingly, that seems to actually have been George Lukas' first draft? AT least that's something I once read. The Journals of Luke Starkiller, or whatever the title originally was, was told from the view of C3-PO, who, thousands of years later, was unearthed by a race of future aliens.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Interestingly, that seems to actually have been George Lukas' first draft? AT least that's something I once read. The Journals of Luke Starkiller, or whatever the title originally was, was told from the view of C3-PO, who, thousands of years later, was unearthed by a race of future aliens.
    And it works oh so well!

21. - Top - End - #1221

EvilClericGuy

There's another headcannon where the prequels are from R2-D2's perspective. Thus the rocket embellishment.
    Hello world. . .

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

There's another headcannon where the prequels are from R2-D2's perspective. Thus the rocket embellishment.
    I always assumed R2 was the hotshot pilot and not Anakin!

I mean Anakin has only piloted pod racers not starfighters I figure the droid fighters beep in quiet about the legendary droid pilot that took down the Trade Federation at Naboo!

What else could have out flown the gathered overwhelming forces land and regain control enough to guide the fired missiles to hit critical systems before flying straight back out!

R2 evaded Tusken Raiders for god's sake!

Every time R2 and Chopper met up they spent the first few minutes going over what they had done since the last time they met!

The Red Baron would be p*ssing himself at the hijinx those two got up to!

23. - Top - End - #1223

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Arya doesn't know it yet, but she's sailing off to a land of green-eyed people who don't think women can do anything.
    Is that a reference for anything?

24. - Top - End - #1224

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    The Four State of Metaphysics:
    Most magic systems in media actually follow certain rules about the state of its magic, namely the more magic is introduced the more the physics of the setting enter states of less structure, much like the states of matter.

Solid Metaphysics is just normal real world rules. ground state.

Liquid metaphysics is when magic is introduced and is most common state of magic seen. the world is more flexible and more things are possible, but still follows consistent rules and limitations. most beings with magic are at this state

Gaseous Metaphysics is high amounts of magic are flying around and the users are godlike, seemingly able make up what they can do with it to a certain extent, but some rooms are still loosely followed, this level metaphysics is often seen with divinities, and other mythical beings.

Plasma Metaphysics is too much magic. Anyone or anything that gets touched by this state instantly disintegrates or is destroyed from magical overload. Often seen by those who absorb too much magic and overloads with power.

and quite simply, different places and things have different magical levels where they enter one metaphysics or another like temperature. this explains why some media break rules that were previously held at climactic moments or whatever, there is so much magic around that it makes the rules too gaseous to apply.
    I like this. Too much magic in one spot breaks the universe.
    Hello world. . .

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

IIRC at one time the series was actually about R2 and 3PO being the real main characters or at least the ones who would go through out the whole series. Think that idea has been tossed out now.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Jeremy Crawford and Jeff Kaplan are secretly the same person.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Titan in the Playground

I like this. Too much magic in one spot breaks the universe.
    Thank you. I took me a while, but basically I wanted to make a theory of magic to encompass both the most consistent and the least consistent parts of magic and superpowers in any given universe. something to explain rules are sometimes broken and sometimes they aren't, so I came up with the theory that most instances of inconsistency are when the people are incredibly high powered. Gaseous Metaphysics is basically "A Wizard Did It" while Liquid Metaphysics is basically "Sandersons First Law Of Magic."

To further explain Gaseous Metaphysics:

Principles of Gaseous Metaphysics:
    These principles are what define the most consistent properties of Gaseous Metaphysics.

Minimal Stability Principle:
    There is a point in Gaseous Metaphysics where one reaches the maximum amount of magic one can hold before falling into the Plasma state. This is the Point Of Minimal Stability. This point almost always involves the person being highly transformed or affected by the energies involved whether intentionally or unintentionally, and is an inherently dangerous fragile state. Not everything has the same Point of Minimal Stability, and gods for example have been known to be incredibly stable for gaseous state metaphysical beings, and thus seem to have a minimal stability point way higher than everyone else that no one can really test for, and its unclear what about a gods structure makes them able to hold so much.
    Another theory proposed is that the gods are in fact in a constant state of minimal stability, but have somehow become incredibly resistant to being forced into the plasma state, that their structure while highly malleable also holds together incredibly strongly to keep it from flying apart completely.

Flickering Mortal Principle:
    Another observed principle in Gaseous Metaphysics is that for mortals, the state of reaching it is inherently temporary and short term. A mortal no matter how magically powerful cannot stay in this state of metaphysics forever or not even long periods of time and their magical energy naturally wanes and dims until they fall back into Liquid Metaphysics. To stay in Gaseous Metaphysics permanently, you need to alter yourself drastically and become something else, something alien and beyond human or mortal. This could be as a spirit, or as some powerful construct or transforming into a certain creature like a dragon...or a god, or at least something god-like.

High Malleability Principle:
    While incredibly powerful, Gaseous Metaphysical beings have a weakness of being highly malleable to the types of magic they interact with as well what actions they take. This makes them in danger of being altered easily, such as corrupted by the magic of their enemies, being mind controlled or their nature changing because they absorbed the wrong kind of magic. This is because of their lower stability and integrity leaving their defenses naturally weak against their nature being magically altered in such ways. Solid and Liquid metaphysicals like humans or others are actually more naturally resilient to being changed by magic than spirits or gods.

For example, lets take a look at Superman. during and even after the Silver Age he is great example of a gaseous state metaphysical, having various powers with no real unifying theme to them, he is just incredibly powerful and can seemingly do anything as long as he has enough, seemingly hard to beat, yet as per the high malleability principle can be affected by Green Kryptonite or corrupted by Red Kyptonite, as well be taken control of by various villains over the years to do something evil, as well as having a weakness to magic and being variably affected by different suns and their radiation. As per flickering mortal principle, he isn't really human or mortal, to be in this state permanently he is in fact a powerful alien that cannot be compared to a humans power at all, god-like enough to not count.
    as for the Minimal Stability Principle, evidence for this is his need to hold back and pull his punches- after all if he punches too hard he could destroy too much and superman is powerful enough that if he punches too hard he could induce plasma state metaphysics on entire planets, destroying them. While he himself has an incredibly high minimal stability point, he knows that other things aren't as durable as him. He has to worry about OTHER things Minimal Stability Points. Again he is a god or godlike, so for unknown reasons his power is natural enough to him that he isn't reaching his limit when he does this.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-06-26 at 03:32 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I still can't shake the urge to ignore episode 8 and rewrite it according to something that feel like it would work better.

For example Holdo is a New Republic Admiral and NOT a member of the Resistance.

Those Star Fortress's are actually civilian craft not intended for combat having survived so long because the First Order never had more than a couple of fighters present when they entered combat with a squadron of them.

Holdo seized them to find out where Leia was and the destruction of Hosnian Prime is what caused the more senior pilots in that unit to reveal the location of D'Qar unaware it had already been abandoned after all having blown up Starkiller Base they clearly would have expected an attack and some time had passed between Rey leaving and Holdo arriving leading the First Order Fleet there.

Poe led a diversionary attack so he could board Holdo's ship to notify her of the rendezvous with Leia however Holdo blamed Poe for the loss of the Star Fortress's to cover for the fact it was actually HER mistake sending out clearly outmatched civilian craft against a First Order Dreadnought.

Poe diverting the Dreadnought's squadrons AND taking out the point defences was the only reason one of the Star Fortress's survived that suicidal manoeuvre.

Holdo would later use that same ship to transport a specforce team along with the surviving crew of that ship to canto Blight in a supposed effort to infiltrate the Supremacy and delete the records they had on the New Republic ships.

The New Republic in an effort to avoid losing any ships to any would be warlord or pirate let alone a Rebellion 2.0 had tagged all of the ships using imperial tech only to eventually discover Snoke duplicated those transmission frequencies so the First Order could hunt them down at their leisure.
    They also tagged all of the ships they supplied the Resistance which Leia suspected with Han returning to smuggling to help obtain untagged ships they could use.

The trip to Canto Blight was a trap set for Finn who escaped along with Rose and BB-8 with the help of DJ who turned Finn over to the First Order so he could sneak both Rose & BB-8 aboard.

Phasma would free Finn to help her rescue Rey who would turn out to be her niece that she placed in hiding to keep her out of Snoke's grasp as he was slowly turning her into a chrome armoured duplicate of Darth Vader.

I better stop!

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

^^^

My headcanon, and because it's the only way to keep myself from collapsing into apoplectic rage when someone mentions TLJ, is that Poe was a Manchurian Candidate. His brainwashing and programming were put in place during the mindscan and/or torture he suffered at Kylo Ren's hands one film earlier -- or alternatively, during his mysterious disappearance after he ditches the TIE fighter and shows up again two acts later. Under this headcanon, it's Poe who was actually responsible for the First Order being able to unerringly track the Resistance; he reacts as surprised as everyone else because he has no conscious recollection of giving away the fleet's location or planting the tracker on the ship which allows the First Order to do so. His insubordination against Holdo and his mutiny attempt are also explained by his brainwashing. The Hyperspace Tracker was all a stunt and at best a honey trap, the tracker doesn't actually do a damn thing to help the First Order track the fleet, they built the whole story just to keep their sleeper agent's cover intact.

30. - Top - End - #1230

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    ^^^

My headcanon, and because it's the only way to keep myself from collapsing into apoplectic rage when someone mentions TLJ, is that Poe was a Manchurian Candidate. His brainwashing and programming were put in place during the mindscan and/or torture he suffered at Kylo Ren's hands one film earlier -- or alternatively, during his mysterious disappearance after he ditches the TIE fighter and shows up again two acts later. Under this headcanon, it's Poe who was actually responsible for the First Order being able to unerringly track the Resistance; he reacts as surprised as everyone else because he has no conscious recollection of giving away the fleet's location or planting the tracker on the ship which allows the First Order to do so. His insubordination against Holdo and his mutiny attempt are also explained by his brainwashing. The Hyperspace Tracker was all a stunt and at best a honey trap, the tracker doesn't actually do a damn thing to help the First Order track the fleet, they built the whole story just to keep their sleeper agent's cover intact.
    What about Rose? She risked her neck to save a First Order superweapon

Omegaupdate Forum