New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1321

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

Yeah, you don't go too deep before cooling becomes an issue. The core of this planet is HOT, and all that heat is trying to get out through the crust.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    People keep their houses at a comfy temp through geothermal hvac. Its like 6 feet into the ground. That being said I have no idea what the world is like temperature wise with a "scorched sky" That seems to be more perma cloud cover going by the end of the third movie when neo and trinity flew above it. So its probably more safety from the army of killer bots searching for them that drove them deep rather than the need for warmth. .
    There, the only reason you can get by with such a shallow depth is that the system uses a heat pump. Basically it's a refrigerator where what would be the inside and outside of a refrigerator can be swapped between the house's interior and the groundwater. Pump heat into the ground in summer, pump heat out in winter.

With that, all that matters is to get the ground loop of the system comfortably deep enough that the water there will never freeze in winter, so the thermal mass and conductivity of the soil around the ground loop stays high. The same logic applies for injection-well open loop systems, you're just letting the natural water table between the soil grains do the same job as the pipes in a closed loop system.

If you didn't have the heat pump, you'd need the loop to go deep enough that the ground was always at a comfortable temperature. Around here, the water table groundwater is a bit too cool for that.

Also, if you did that, you could very easily be in bedrock at the right temperature layer, and you'd have to either make a huge loop to make up for the worse thermal properties, or fracture the rock and use two wells to inject and extract water at that depth, which is effectively the same thing but with rock replacing the pipe walls.
    Last edited by gomipile; 2019-09-07 at 11:30 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ogre in the Playground

My newest headcanon is that Epic Rap Battles of History and all the various Fate anime take place in the same universe. The rap battles are how Heroic Spirits keep themselves occupied while they're waiting to be summoned.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Banned

PaladinGuy

How about this one?

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Dwarf in the Playground

Diablo:

In at least one point in history, the inhabitants of Whimsyshire had control of the Pandemonium Fortress.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Pixie in the Playground

Dark Souls.

Solaire isn’t quite the jolly knight who’s looking for his sun for religious purposes, but is more likely a hollow looking for challenges to reach the gods. With you as his rival to race to higher heights.

After all, why the hell would he have worked so hard to achieve his strength, journey across the lands, and even join you, if you do something for his ‘quest’, to fight Gwyn, the Lord of Sunlight, basically his god?

Yes, I can understand he could do all of this out of friendship with you, but I find it more interesting that he does all not out of random kindness, not to mention in a Souls game, but out of rivalry to possibly the very end.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Ettin in the Playground

By the time you can fight The Lord of Sunlight, things are already being framed as a succession. Or, in other words, Solaire's god is dying no matter what you do, so his only way to serve that god is to help you become that god.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    By the time you can fight The Lord of Sunlight, things are already being framed as a succession. Or, in other words, Solaire's god is dying no matter what you do, so his only way to serve that god is to help you become that god.
    Eh, fair enough. But the idea still stands that he could very well be more of a friendly rival more than just be the friendly paladin

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Slaad language in D&D sounds like the vocalizations from the "Crazy Frog" remix of Axel F
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Guys, Solaire's a part of the Warriors of Sunlight. They follow the Firstborn (probably Nameless King) not Gwyn. His gods whole shtick is that he betrayed Gwyn in some way.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Firbolg in the Playground

The villain from Coraline represents pet owners. She wants to replace the protagonist's mother and have unnecessary surgery performed on her, which are both characteristics of pet owners.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Titan in the Playground

The hypnosis placed on Nezuko in Kimetsu no Yaiba is actually completely unnecessary and didn't even work. Nezuko is just that much of a good person.

All the events of the Future Trunks timeline still happen in the main timeline of Android saga DBZ, just toned down or shuffled around so that they are recoverable and or dealable, thus timelines in dragon ball have a checklist of events to fill out, but how they are fulfilled is flexible enough that different things can come from them happening.

Ash Ketchum's true calling is a Pokemon Ranger, because while he is friends with pokemon he is constantly picking them up and letting them loose and is more successful at saving pokemon from criminals than fighting with them in Leagues.

things like Chimera Ants and Thing are the WEAKER threats of the wider world of Hunter X Hunter, the stronger ones are horrific eldritch abominations that the Hunters need to set up specific plans years in advance to get rid of and their existence is kept top secret.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Troll in the Playground

This is an oldie and probably in one if these threads already, but in the second straight to bargain bin Aladdin sequel it turns out Aladdin's father is the king of thieves, leader of the forty thieves. The headcanon is that this wasn't true in the original timeline, it only became true when Aladdin wished to "make me a prince".

The evidence is a little thin, but there is some. For one, Aladdin doesn't seem to know what country he's the prince of. This is odd because he didn't wish to look like a prince, but to be one. Knowing the guy had no interest in going technically home far away to run a country anyway, the genie could have used the king/prince of thieves loophole to not have to change around the top leadership of any existing countries in order to accomodate the wish. Secondly, while Jafar reveals Aladdin's identity and changes his clothing back, he never seems to cast any kind of spell that would reverse Aladdin being a prince. It's worth noting that at this point he also doesn't seem to grasp the full power of the genie yet. Third, Aladdin does know what his princely name is, being prince Ali Ababwa (the genie sings about the name too, but stays quiet about his country), which sounds like the fancy official name of someone also known as Ali Baba. A bit like a William/Will situation (if you Will). Now, we never learn the name of Aladdin's father, but given that he's the leader of the forty thieves, he's supposedly named Ali Baba as well. Ali Baba being the name of the leader of the forty thieves is even referenced in the first movie during You've Never Had A Friend Like Me. And what do royalty like to do with their kid's names? Exactly, they give them their own name, so they can grow up to be king Myname the n+1nd, in this case Ali Ababwa the (at least) second. So it's no coincidence that this was Aladdin's prince name, it came with the spell that made him a prince by making his father the king of thieves.

And the only person that had to be booted out of royalty to make it happen was the original Ali Baba, and he was a dirty criminal anyway. Morally defendable spellcasting!
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-10-17 at 03:18 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ettin in the Playground

That is well reasoned, and quite clever.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    things like Chimera Ants and Thing are the WEAKER threats of the wider world of Hunter X Hunter, the stronger ones are horrific eldritch abominations that the Hunters need to set up specific plans years in advance to get rid of and their existence is kept top secret.
    This is actually explicitly canon, apparently.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    This is actually explicitly canon, apparently.
    Well yeah. They deal with the ants leader
    Spoiler
    Show
    with one nuke
    . The actual S class threats can't be dealt with period.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    This is an oldie and probably in one if these threads already, but in the second straight to bargain bin Aladdin sequel it turns out Aladdin's father is the king of thieves, leader of the forty thieves. The headcanon is that this wasn't true in the original timeline, it only became true when Aladdin wished to "make me a prince".

The evidence is a little thin, but there is some. For one, Aladdin doesn't seem to know what country he's the prince of. This is odd because he didn't wish to look like a prince, but to be one. Knowing the guy had no interest in going technically home far away to run a country anyway, the genie could have used the king/prince of thieves loophole to not have to change around the top leadership of any existing countries in order to accomodate the wish. Secondly, while Jafar reveals Aladdin's identity and changes his clothing back, he never seems to cast any kind of spell that would reverse Aladdin being a prince. It's worth noting that at this point he also doesn't seem to grasp the full power of the genie yet. Third, Aladdin does know what his princely name is, being prince Ali Ababwa (the genie sings about the name too, but stays quiet about his country), which sounds like the fancy official name of someone also known as Ali Baba. A bit like a William/Will situation (if you Will). Now, we never learn the name of Aladdin's father, but given that he's the leader of the forty thieves, he's supposedly named Ali Baba as well. Ali Baba being the name of the leader of the forty thieves is even referenced in the first movie during You've Never Had A Friend Like Me. And what do royalty like to do with their kid's names? Exactly, they give them their own name, so they can grow up to be king Myname the n+1nd, in this case Ali Ababwa the (at least) second. So it's no coincidence that this was Aladdin's prince name, it came with the spell that made him a prince by making his father the king of thieves.

And the only person that had to be booted out of royalty to make it happen was the original Ali Baba, and he was a dirty criminal anyway. Morally defendable spellcasting!
    Unless this is something specific to Disney's version, it doesn't make sense. Ali Baba in the original tale is a merchant man who discovers the hidden cave of the Forty Thieves and steals from their treasure until he gets caught and hunted before being saved by his maid, rather than the leader or even a member of the Thieves.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Unless this is something specific to Disney's version, it doesn't make sense. Ali Baba in the original tale is a merchant man who discovers the hidden cave of the Forty Thieves and steals from their treasure until he gets caught and hunted before being saved by his maid, rather than the leader or even a member of the Thieves.
    You are right. I completely forgot that.

Although "You never had a friend like me" does say "Well Ali Baba had them 40 thieves" as a comparison to having the power of a genie in your corner. So this might actually fly as something specific to the Disney version. But at the very least it's another step of headcanon, so my third argument is mostly invalid.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Troll in the Playground

Although "You never had a friend like me" does say "Well Ali Baba had them 40 thieves" as a comparison to having the power of a genie in your corner. So this might actually fly as something specific to the Disney version. But at the very least it's another step of headcanon, so my third argument is mostly invalid.
    well you can throw author saving throw if you want but in world of disney or general arabian nights were smarter you are more powerful you are ali baba can kinda become leader of 40ty tiefs as he only needs one good order from the old leader then pop he is the leader as he hijacked his brothers trade power with small trick why the f not he and his slave pull same trick to make him powerful enough to handle 40ty thief then plot stands same as disney wants
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

20. - Top - End - #1340

I've got a one.

Predator's, from the film series Predator's, aren't the noble warrior race guys you'd expect from other sci fi. They're the same sort of people who go trophy hunting that we have here on Earth, and as such there are non violent predators as well.

21. - Top - End - #1341

He also talks about the thousand tales of Scheherazade and its hard to tell what point he is going for with it. He might be talking about what made Ali baba and Scheherazade famous and how aladdin has a genie to do that for him. So its not that ali baba commanded 40 thieves, its that he is known for his adventures dealing with them, like madam long name is known for her thousand tales.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Troll in the Playground

Scheherazada is half the reason I think he's comparing those things to having the power of a genie on your side. She saves hundreds or thousands of women with those 1001 stories, and probably kind of the kingdom itself as well.

But with the way the genie always bounces in and out of references, who ever knows what he's actually trying to say?
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-10-18 at 03:52 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1343

Scheherazada is half the reason I think he's comparing those things to having the power of a genie on your side. She saves hundreds or thousands of women with those 1001 stories, and probably kind of the kingdom itself as well.

But with the way the genie always bounces in and out of references, who ever knows what he's actually trying to say?
    What he's trying to say that out there is a story where some smuck and his lady friend make complete fools of Aladin's dad and all of his friends, and that's probably what convinced him to abandon them all.

Incidentally this is something I'd love to see.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-10-18 at 03:58 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Titan in the Playground

MHA/Naruto:
    Izuku Midoriya and All-Might are alternate universe versions of Rock Lee and Might Guy that get to be the main protagonists of the story.

Naruto:
    The only reason Konoha keeps producing all these ninja geniuses with grand philosophical ideas about how to make the world a better place is because of its geography. its in the Land of Fire, with the most arable land of all the shinobi nations and therefore the worlds breadbasket, making it the most prosperous land in the world of Naruto and therefore the most powerful nation by default; its just that clans like Hashirama and Uchiha being the most powerful won the land grab to get it first and thus perpetuate its strength, and thus their children are born in a environment where they have the time, safety and security to think about these ideas at all rather than more basic things like survival or security. Thus Konoha's strength is owed more to the surrounding land they inhabit than anything else, because without their economic prosperity their geniuses wouldn't have time to develop their abilities to the fullest, and might only be "genius" because of favoritism and the supports they have to maximize their potential, that again are only possible of prosperous stable arable land.

All the other shinobi nations are: Suna/Land of Wind (is a desert) Iwa/Land of Stone (a different rockier desert) Kumo/Land of lightning (a range of mountains) or Kiri/Land of Water (Is a bunch of islands) or are minor nations like Amegakure in the Land of Rain. All the other nations simply don't have as prosperous or bountiful farmlands as the Land of Fire.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I've got a one.

Predator's, from the film series Predator's, aren't the noble warrior race guys you'd expect from other sci fi. They're the same sort of people who go trophy hunting that we have here on Earth, and as such there are non violent predators as well.
    What Predator Greenpeace may look like

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Naruto:
    The only reason Konoha keeps producing all these ninja geniuses with grand philosophical ideas about how to make the world a better place is because of its geography. its in the Land of Fire, with the most arable land of all the shinobi nations and therefore the worlds breadbasket, making it the most prosperous land in the world of Naruto and therefore the most powerful nation by default; its just that clans like Hashirama and Uchiha being the most powerful won the land grab to get it first and thus perpetuate its strength, and thus their children are born in a environment where they have the time, safety and security to think about these ideas at all rather than more basic things like survival or security. Thus Konoha's strength is owed more to the surrounding land they inhabit than anything else, because without their economic prosperity their geniuses wouldn't have time to develop their abilities to the fullest, and might only be "genius" because of favoritism and the supports they have to maximize their potential, that again are only possible of prosperous stable arable land.

All the other shinobi nations are: Suna/Land of Wind (is a desert) Iwa/Land of Stone (a different rockier desert) Kumo/Land of lightning (a range of mountains) or Kiri/Land of Water (Is a bunch of islands) or are minor nations like Amegakure in the Land of Rain. All the other nations simply don't have as prosperous or bountiful farmlands as the Land of Fire.
    This theory is supported by what we see of the Land of Water in Boruto. Now that the constant warfare has stopped, the country can finally develop a tourist trade. The huge boost in economy means that they're starting to surpass the Land of Fire in prosperity for the first time ever.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Orc in the Playground

I've got a one.

oh, my gods...

I want to see a re-dub of all the predator movies with deep thick Appalachian and southern accents Goin' round and gettin' em Good Gits cross the Uni-versed!

"COME GET ME! I'M RIGHT HERE!" Arnold

"Oh, Phooey... yer a craftly lil some such ain't ya?..." Predator
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    English: so broken, you technically cannot use it wrong.
    Grey Wolf

27. - Top - End - #1347

Quote Originally Posted by Son of A Lich! View Post
    oh, my gods...

I want to see a re-dub of all the predator movies with deep thick Appalachian and southern accents Goin' round and gettin' em Good Gits cross the Uni-versed!

"COME GET ME! I'M RIGHT HERE!" Arnold

"Oh, Phooey... yer a craftly lil some such ain't ya?..." Predator
    It works better if you take SOME of the silly world building ideas they did put into Predator the franchise in as well. Predator 1 is this old guy using "low tech" (because for these dumbass alien hicks, a shoulder cannon is low tech) who is probably like a dentist in his civilian life, who's come to hunt the dangerous men the "traditional way", whereas Predator 2 is some young pup (probably the son of a politician) going out with every high tech thing that he has to join his dad's country club and when Danny Glover kills his stupid ass they have an awkward sideways glance conversation about what to actually do.

It's great, it's the absolute best.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I've got a one.

The Predator as "Tucker and Dale v. Evil"
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phantom Brave:

I don’t really have an explanation for how, but I like the idea of Walnut being Scarlet’s offspring.

The background vocals in some of the songs come from the phantoms.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Johnny Cage is descended from Kratos. In MKX, it is explained he gets his random god-clobbering powers from ancestors in a 'Mediterranean war cult'. Kratos was from the Mediterranean. Kratos was a war god. Kratos plausibly had a cult. Kratos clobbered gods.

I guess they had a lot of fun with Kratos' cameo in MK9.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.