Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default The Dungeon of Graves - Rappan Athuk 3.5 Core Only (OOC)

Feel free to check in here to confirm you're ready to go, have any discussions you'd like to have with each other or myself, etc.

Good luck everyone! Here's to a long-lived, thrill-filled, possibly first of it's kind horror/roll-playing game! Cheers!!!

NUMBER OF PARTY DEATHS/WIPES/FORFEITS = 1

IC thread

Player Character Race Class Alignment
    Yas392 Tam Zaligar Strongheart Halfling Sorcerer TN
    razorback Keral Moon'Dan Human Ranger/Fighter/Barbarian TN
    timble "Must Earn A Name" Human Monk LG
    Starbuck_II Sonamy Regulus Sun Elf Rogue/Wizard TN
    Ierox Belva Myholme Halfling Ranger/Rogue NE
    Lentrax Ashana Human Cleric NG
    Dexam Kelzan Ironthighs Dwarf Fighter LN

Alternates:
    wkwkwkwkwk1
    TankLaser007

For posterity:
    Original Interest Check
    Recruitment Thread
    Last edited by Crux Argentum; 2017-02-23 at 04:56 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Dungeon of Graves - Rappan Athuk 3.5 Core Only (OOC)

Sonamy's ready to go, Brown is my color, ready to show Elven Superiority.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Tam shows his true colors in blue.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2017-02-18 at 12:22 AM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

EDIT: I have a limited number of colors available for that outside ring (green, purple, yellow, red, blue). I figure no one is gonna use yellow text (for typing in post), so, safe there and was gonna use red outer ring for bad guys / NPCs. I'd be happy to change them tho or make yours just how you want, super easy:

Outside ring color: (besides red)
    Text color: (for inside the token)
    Background color: (also inside token)
    Last edited by Crux Argentum; 2017-02-17 at 11:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Ready.
    I see Yas392 took blue so I hope Navy isn't too close.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Hi. Sorry for the delay on the sheet. Here is Ashana.

She will speak in Orange.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Daily on Twitch.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hooray! Lentrax!

4/7 folks. It's the final countdown.

*queue the 80's song*

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Checking in for Kelzen; and claiming Dark Green for a colour.

I still need to finalise Kelzen's gear before we start playing.
    Avatars: "Fetlock Equinari, Ponytrician of Flanhk-Marepork, featuring Bank Chairman Mr Fusspot" by Dirtytabs; Ponified Othar Tryggvassen by Madcrafter; "Dexam with April from CRFH!!!" by Maritza Campos.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Are we tracking food?
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam
    I still need to finalise Kelzen's gear before we start playing.
    Cool cool, first post will not go up til tomorrow, then you guys will have an overland map to look at and decide if you want to proceed directly to Rappan Athuk or look around the area. Should give ya plenty of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Are we tracking food?
    You guys have two Rangers and it's actually a really nice area, a little land of plenty of sorts that has no shortage of safe to eat berries and fruit trees, enough for even a vegan elf to fill his/her belly.

So no, not worried about food. However, I would like you guys to have a full waterskin and a bedroll each. Little bit of extra weight that has to be addressed in exchange for comfortable rest (even in the safety of an extradimensional rope trick space). Don't have to worry about refilling waterskins either, just carry the weight of that and a bedroll for each person (someone with high STR can even carry them all, they can all be tossed in a weight reduc bag, etc).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Well, just asking. Because if they aren't concern (i.e go back to town to reset hunger, health & spell), I will trade away my ring of sustenance and will be spending the gold on wands.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2017-02-18 at 12:38 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, just asking. Because if they aren't concern (i.e go back to town to reset hunger, health & spell), I will trade away my ring of sustenance and will be spending the gold on wands.
    Yep, go right ahead.

EDIT: Although, bear in mind... you might run into some problems if your plan is trying to make it all the way back to the big city to rest every time. I have a feeling you'll know exactly what I mean when you see the first post with the overland map.

One for the road anybody? While we wait for the last few?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Crux Argentum; 2017-02-18 at 01:23 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crux Argentum View Post
    Yep, go right ahead.

EDIT: Although, bear in mind... you might run into some problems if your plan is trying to make it all the way back to the big city to rest every time. I have a feeling you'll know exactly what I mean when you see the first post with the overland map.

One for the road anybody? While we wait for the last few?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought it is just encounters in dungeon.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2017-02-18 at 01:39 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

I thought it is just encounters in dungeon.
    It is lol, just a preview of the map and combat style. It'll probably be zoomed out a lot more for most encounters tho.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

A question. How does ring of sustenance affect spell refreshing? Do we get to refresh spells with 2 hours sleep?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

A question. How does ring of sustenance affect spell refreshing? Do we get to refresh spells with 2 hours sleep?
    Well, sort of. To elaborate:

Under the Spells entry for both the Cleric and Wizard, they both must spend one hour studying or praying to refresh spells. The Cleric has to pray at a certain time of day (dawn for good midnight for evil) with "time spent resting has no effect on whether a cleric can prepare spells". A wizard " must choose and prepare her spells ahead of time by getting a good night's sleep and spending one hour studying her spellbook".

The Spells entry for Sorcerer doesn't say anything about such things, which makes me think they would just need a full night's rest, which would in turn be reduced to only 2 hours with a ring of sustenance.

The other thing to keep in mind is that even though you may be done resting, not everyone else will be in all likelihood. If nothing else, it will allow you to stay on watch for 6 hours or so when you would normally be sleeping.

Also on the subject of sleep, elves don't really sleep but "meditate in a deep trance for 4 hours a day". Basically for the purposes of this game, that means they don't have to take off their armor for the four hours they effectively spend sleeping (normally you have to take armor off when you sleep or suffer penalties in the morning) and again, they get 4 hours of being completely aware and alert while everyone else can rest.

Ring of sustenance still only brings rest/meditation time down to two hours for elves.

EDIT: The one hour praying/studying gets lumped in with the 8 hours of sleep/rest time.
    Last edited by Crux Argentum; 2017-02-18 at 03:08 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

So the ring will be better for a sorc/wiz than a cleric since they get to regain their spells in two hours?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

The cleric is indeed bound by a 24 hour cycle. Which kind of puts you all on that cycle; resting for spell refreshes twice (or more) in 24 hours is pretty hi-jinx-ish and probably wouldn't be allowed anyways. Plus it's easier to resolve HP gained from natural rest, etc.

It's not like there's really going to be a calendar or game time limit, so it shouldn't really matter too much.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Alright. If that's the case, I think I am going to ditch the ring. Rules revolving around it is iffy for most part.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

In even simpler terms, not only does the book support the whole 24 hour thing, but I simply can't have arcane spellcasters getting twelve theoretical spell refreshes a day while a cleric only gets one. Or pretty much allow anything that lets one character steal the show or leaves even one character not contributing.

I think I'm being pretty fair tho, in cleaving as close to the letter of the rule as possible, and while paying attention to fairness for all players involved.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

I guess once per day refresh for all caster sounds fair.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Here for the currently nameless. Choosing Purple as the colour.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, it looks like Kelzen and Keral are at the bar already. I hope the front line isn't hung over first day of adventuring, although the hangover might just fuel their anger.

So, while we have some down time, do we want to talk about tactics and such?
    I see that neither of the arcane have Enlarge Person. If either or both are willing, once we are back in town and have the gold (and if we're still alive), it might be a worthy investment to get wands of Enlarge Person for both Kelzen and Keral. Keral is planning on hitting the front, tripping and moving on. This should give the rogues a chance to move into flanking positions and hopefully finish them off before they can stand. Based on the speed difference, Keral can move in and lock down opposition while the hammer Kelzen can come and smash them.

Any other suggestions? I see we also have some Grease and other BFC spells, which will also be welcomed.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I am carrying a potion of mage armor for the monk or someone else if we know a big fight is coming.

I am cool with buying a wand of it later (mostly because wands are faster than scrolls, Enlarge person is a 1 rd casting like sleep).

Also when I have the money: I can finally scribe my Cat's grace/Bull's Str scrolls.

So, should we have a signal to yell (In Character) when we feel this fight is too dangerous and we should run to regroup and come back later?

Since this is supposed to be a deadly dungeon it may be a good idea.

It looks like Ashana has its extra bonus spell slots unfilled. and Domain spells.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Kelzen's gear load-out is now complete. Clearly he is at the bar spending his share of the last adventure's haul on ale and women of negotiable affection

Tactics for Kelzen are pretty basic: stand in front to protect the casters while they do their thing; provide a target while the more agile melee types move in for flanking.

Quick review of character sheets for obvious anomalies:

Razorback - Keral has 60 potions of Enlarge Person listed, probably should be 6.

Timble - looks like you've underspent the point buy by 1 point.

lerox - looks like you've allocated 1 extra skill point.

Lentrax - I'm not sure that you've added your 4th level ability score increase; that, or you're under the 32 point buy by 3 points (assuming 4th level increase to Wisdom)
    Last edited by Dexam; 2017-02-18 at 11:40 AM.
    Avatars: "Fetlock Equinari, Ponytrician of Flanhk-Marepork, featuring Bank Chairman Mr Fusspot" by Dirtytabs; Ponified Othar Tryggvassen by Madcrafter; "Dexam with April from CRFH!!!" by Maritza Campos.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post

Razorback - Keral has 60 potions of Enlarge Person listed, probably should be 6.
    It was a buy 1 get 10 deal at the Spells'R'Us. Plus I got double bonus points on my Arcanist Express card.

In other words, D'oh! Fixed to 6.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks for help on the proof-read, Dexam.

The other things I noticed at a glance is that Kelzen is pretty encumbered and I'd like to be able to check weight totals more easily for Ashana and Tam (and Belva when Ierox gets here).

Other than that, I think we are just about ready to begin... giving a little more time for Ierox and final char sheet editing, but expect the first post sometime this evening (CST)

EDIT: Just a thought on encumbrance - if no one wants to buy a weight reduction bag there is always the humble core only allowed donkey (medium size, or large mule) for 8 gp and saddlebags for 4 gp. Of course it can't really defend itself and could probably easily be hauled off as a snack, just a quick fix thought
    Last edited by Crux Argentum; 2017-02-18 at 03:43 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crux Argentum View Post
    The other things I noticed at a glance is that Kelzen is pretty encumbered and I'd like to be able to check weight totals more easily for Ashana and Tam (and Belva when Ierox gets here).
    Considering that Kelzen's in full plate, he's automatically on heavy encumbrance. He's carrying 169 lbs of gear, which gives him another 131 lbs before he hits max load - only an issue if he has to carry a non-halfling sized body around. Although it might be an issue if/when he upgrades to mithral full plate and I want him to stay under medium encumbrance.

Also, Crux: you might want to copy-paste your OP and make a note of alternate players from the recruit thread before it eventually vanishes.
    Last edited by Dexam; 2017-02-18 at 07:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Considering that Kelzen's in full plate, he's automatically on heavy encumbrance. He's carrying 169 lbs of gear, which gives him another 131 lbs before he hits max load - only an issue if he has to carry a non-halfling sized body around. Although it might be an issue if/when he upgrades to mithral full plate and I want him to stay under medium encumbrance.

Also, Crux: you might want to copy-paste your OP and make a note of alternate players from the recruit thread before it eventually vanishes.
    Ah okay, I gotcha on the encumbrance thing. I will edit the post as you recommended as well, good idea.

Without further adieu... the dungeon of Rappan Athuk beckons to the brave and the foolhardy...

EDIT: Also I know Ierox hasn't shown up yet, but we still have six and you can feel free to jump in when you get here. Also I'd like a standard marching order seems how there's going to be a lot of travel
    Last edited by Crux Argentum; 2017-02-18 at 08:35 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Same for Ashana.except she is only carrying 92 pounds of gear, including her armor. Her limit is 175 pounds, so she has a ways to go before being impacted by her load.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Daily on Twitch.