New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Does Anyone Have A Desktop Planetarium?

I need to double-check star positions in October of 2016, and I can’t find a chart from that month for my latitude.

Does anyone have planetarium software that could check this? I’m especially interested in the eastern and northeastern sky during the middle of the month.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Does Anyone Have A Desktop Planetarium?

Stellarium is very good. Works on various os and is free for computers, while the phone app costs a few euro.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the recommendation, but I don’t think that would run on my current system. I was hoping someone might be able to just grab a quick screenshot.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

LINUX - many of the good ones come with a good software for that, and it can all run from a DVD (in other words you don't even have to install LINUX on your computer to 'test drive' it, and that includes the astro software package!

Although, if you're running WINDOWS anything, you'd be well advised to install linux (as a dual OS install, so it keeps your windows and adds linux, you can choose which to run at boot up). THIS way if your windows goes kablooie, you can still boot to linux, and get at your files (even the windows ones).
    Last edited by ArgentumRegio; 2017-02-20 at 09:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

OP - you'll have to tell us your latitude and the time you're interested in, if you want a specific screenshot.

That being said, I think it would take you less time (and be more fun) to google "skymap" and use one of the multitude of possible websites.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentumRegio View Post
    THIS way if your windows goes kablooie, you can still boot to linux, and get at your files (even the windows ones).
    the year 2000 is calling, it wants some more personal computing tips :)

6. - Top - End - #6

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    OP - you'll have to tell us your latitude and the time you're interested in, if you want a specific screenshot.

That being said, I think it would take you less time (and be more fun) to google "skymap" and use one of the multitude of possible websites.

the year 2000 is calling, it wants some more personal computing tips :)
    Of course, since 2000 no windows computers have failed in any way. *sage nod*

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentumRegio View Post
    Of course, since 2000 no windows computers have failed in any way. *sage nod*
    And no Linux ones have either, naturally. I can't help but think, considering he's already said he doesn't think his computer can run Stellarium (available in both Linux and Windows versions, note), advising him to run or even install a different OS just to get a planetarium is like suggesting he buys a new car in order to replace a cracked wing mirror.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    And no Linux ones have either, naturally. I can't help but think, considering he's already said he doesn't think his computer can run Stellarium (available in both Linux and Windows versions, note), advising him to run or even install a different OS just to get a planetarium is like suggesting he buys a new car in order to replace a cracked wing mirror.
    Normally I think the Brit names for various car parts are a bit silly, but "wing mirror" sounds cool.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Factotum
    I can't help but think, considering he's already said he doesn't think his computer can run Stellarium (available in both Linux and Windows versions, note), advising him to run or even install a different OS just to get a planetarium is like suggesting he buys a new car in order to replace a cracked wing mirror.
    This. Sadly this.

Originally Posted by RobertB
    I think it would take you less time (and be more fun) to google "skymap" and use one of the multitude of possible websites.
    Tried this, and unfortunately it took more time and involved no fun—and still no joy.

10. - Top - End - #10

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The OS is free, the effort is minimal the result may surprise.

It is my long experience that hardware platforms unspecified are typically running windows.

Windows is bloaty codewise, linux much less so. What many users don't think will run on their system often will if they opt for the linux variety. I suggest it because it is in my long experience, worth a try. There is a vast space between "I don't think" and "I know"... I suggest exploring the region a bit before making any bold declarations.
    Last edited by ArgentumRegio; 2017-02-22 at 11:32 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by ArgentumRegio
    It is my long experience that hardware platforms unspecified are typically running windows.
    I’m on a Mac.

Originally Posted by ArgentumRegio
    I suggest exploring the region a bit before making any bold declarations.
    Installing a completely new OS to run a single program is more time and effort than I can afford, and vastly disproportionate to the need.

Speaking of which, I’ve done what I could and moved on. No need to pursue this further.