New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default [SCP][cyberpunk2020] campaign questions

I'm running a cyberpunk campaign based on the foundation. The year is 2154. In the year 2103 a massive containment breach forced the foundation to use a number of thaumiel class objects to repair the timeline. Three years were, quite simply, lost. Things definitely happened. Babies were born, people died, but there is zero record of it; digital, paper, or otherwise. The foundation as we know it did not survive this reality restructuring, nor did a number of groups of interest. All that is left of the foundation are front companies and Dr. Bright. Mergers, corporate restructuring, GOIs being able to act in the open, and legitimate breakthroughs not being classified as anomalous led to an explosion in technology.

Skipping the wall of text campaign exposition, the party is about to go to war with someone who may as well be the god of netrunners. She goes by the handle Triumph. She doesn't believe in the supernatural, but is blackmailing multiple corporations that have access to anomalous items, and are more than happy to give them to her if she asks. Even if she does believe that they are just experimental, next-gen super tech. Her biggest "client" is Prometheus labs, which has bought out the Factory.

The party gets to choose the time and the place. Triumph will be there, or her cyberware will overheat and cook her brain. She has, at most, 27 hours, not including travel time, to prepare. Nothing short of divine intervention can overcome the overheating problem. The net, as in the entire gorram net, has been down for the last 2 hours, due to the backbones internal protocols imploding. It's going to be down for at least 3 DAYS. On the plus side voIP still works, if you have a static address, so she can still contact her personal Goons. And they can still contact their goons, and so on. Downside, only so many people can be contacted by word of mouth. Upside, she still has a small legion at her disposal. Another downside, not everyone can commandeer corporate jets like she can, so it's more like a battalion, spread over a major metropolitan area. Granted they're heavily cybered, but even local communications are limited to bluetooth range, and she still doesn't know exactly where she's going. At most, she can count on one squad.

I have two questions. The first is, what might such an individual bring with her to battle? Keep in mind, she thinks the laws of physics still apply, and has never personally encountered anything anomalous. She will laugh at the idea that something can be bigger on the inside, or that conservation of energy can be violated. Being the god of runners, people tend to take heed when she laughs, or at least pretend to. Also, her arrogance led her to believe that it wouldn't ever come down to this. She has no stockpiled personal weapons, at least not anomalous ones. Obviously she has plenty of mundane guns, poisons, and such.

Second question, how do I break it to the party that the NPC runner that brought them Triumph used to be a backup dr. bright drone? There is one member of the (IRL) party who has played containment breach, and I have sworn him to secrecy. This party member didn't even know it was based on anything, he thought it was just a game. No one else has any idea what we are talking about.

Of note, the party has been to the Wanderers Library. After the trip there(best summarized as "WHAT?! I thought, how did, when did, CYBERpu.... Oooh, elf chick"), the only things that really shook their cool was meeting Mr. Darke on the way back(MCD being widely known for commissioning the space elevator) and learning that it took 10 Docents to force out the Janitor(who hired them to go there in the first place, in the name of the Critic).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [SCP][cyberpunk2020] campaign questions

This are all pretty high powered options so take with a pinch of salt :

Angel ( as in the elite Eurosolo's) bodygaurds.
    Does she know who the PCs are ? In which case its the bit from 'Usual Suspects' ("if I don't return you're sister and her children will die in a tragic house-fire. Maybe I'll only permanently cripple your father in his retirement home ")
    If possible, and if she's the God of Netrunners so why not, create an electronic copy of her personality ready to go if she dies.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

3. - Top - End - #3

I'm glad you touched on the electronic backup copy option. Obviously, someone like Triumph would have thought of that and made plans accordingly. She does have off-site 3D copies of her brain map. This is something I've been thinking about since before the campaign even began. The problem is piling enough hardware and clever software solutions doesn't add up to thought. I'm not talking about decision engines or a computer that can beat any grand master at chess. I'm talking about cognition. I'm talking about brilliance. I'm talking about the fact that you can't use luck on a chipped skill. I'm talking about the fact that there is a luck stat at all. Self-awareness, self-direction, the idea that there is even such a thing as normalcy, is itself anomalous. Triumph can't make a backup for the same reason that chess grandmasters don't know how to make their kids need, not just want to, but need, to spend every waking second on chess. You can't program passion. It is, lack for a better word, anomalous. At least in this(/my, there is no canon and all) setting.

4. - Top - End - #4

Just in case anyone cares, I went with 5 Dragoons. My party survived, purely because, as explained, they got to choose the battlefield and time. There are still 2 open questions. The first is, what do I do with a party that has 2 million dollars in cash, each? The second is one that still remains from the opening post: how do I explain to them that their npc Netrunner used to be a Dr. Bright drone?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Well considering their enemies organization is still out there and now very pissed with the P.C.s, their smart move would be to invest a lot of that cash in new faces, several top-of-the-line new I.D's and a new home
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

6. - Top - End - #6

Here's the thing, 2 things really: they brought Triumph in alive, and the net is still down. Also there was this locked in behavioral modification chip thing. Point being, no one knows Triumph is dead/owned/compromised. Depending on whether the party chooses to keep her or turn her in for the bounty, once the net comes back online, a lot of things could happen.

Edit: the net has been down for two and a half days now. I'm open to ideas as to how that might affect a sufficiently cybered society. Suffice to say the Mars colony has already gone the way of Lord of the Flies.
    Last edited by Erith; 2017-03-02 at 05:00 AM.