New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Character Ideas

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Character Ideas

Hey all,

I'm thinking of retiring my wizard in favour of a more strikery character, and I was hoping for some advice.

I don't need/want to do over the top damage all the time, but wouldn't mind a good nova option.
    But mostly I'm looking for mobility and versatile attacks. Our group has two or three melee characters, which limits the usefulness of area attacks.

Options I'm considering are
    • artful dodger rogue
    • some sort of warlock/sorceror
    • avenger|paladin
    • str|dex ranger

Essentially, I'm looking for a mid-heroic character that is mobile and can mix up melee and ranged attacks.
    Any ideas?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Character Ideas

What's the rest of the group? It's hard to give good advice in a vacuum.
    Through a series of unfortunate events, my handle on the WotC boards was darkwarlock.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

For your listed purposes I'd call Thief a little better than Artful Dodger. Wis+Dex ranger is more mobile than Str+Dex, and a few ranger melee powers can run on Dex. Monk is also highly mobile but doesn't get anything better for ranged attacks than their high-Dex RBA, and hybridizing a monk generally goes poorly in my experience.

You might also consider a class with ranged and close powers instead of ranged and melee. There are plenty of close bursts and blasts that only target enemies.

Or go for an implement class with only ranged attacks, then use Staff Expertise or certain bits of equipment to prevent OAs for using ranged powers up close.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ranger|Centered Breath Monk who starts with a 20 Dex makes for an interesting PC. Spend a feat on +2 to +3 AC at 1st level - Unarmored Agility as an example or Hybrid Talent. You have Twin Strike with a Bow/Crossbow which also counts as an implement for a Monk - you can use Bracers of Archery with your Monk powers as an example.

Kind of a Zen Archer type. With Quicksilver Motion at level 6, you zoom into combat when you need to do it. Invigorating Stride is always a good power for some self-healing/move

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darkbard View Post
    What's the rest of the group? It's hard to give good advice in a vacuum.
    I'm not 100% sure on the exact classes, but:
    The main group is a Slayer and Hunter, I think (Definitely a melee and a ranged essentials class).
    As well as a Druid and Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    For your listed purposes I'd call Thief a little better than Artful Dodger. Wis+Dex ranger is more mobile than Str+Dex, and a few ranger melee powers can run on Dex. Monk is also highly mobile but doesn't get anything better for ranged attacks than their high-Dex RBA, and hybridizing a monk generally goes poorly in my experience.

You might also consider a class with ranged and close powers instead of ranged and melee. There are plenty of close bursts and blasts that only target enemies.

Or go for an implement class with only ranged attacks, then use Staff Expertise or certain bits of equipment to prevent OAs for using ranged powers up close.
    Thief actually looks pretty good, but I'm worried I might get bored with only basic attacks. I was also considering a sorcerer with blade channeling, but I like being a little oddball. Maybe a staff expertise warlock could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MwaO View Post
    Ranger|Centered Breath Monk who starts with a 20 Dex makes for an interesting PC. Spend a feat on +2 to +3 AC at 1st level - Unarmored Agility as an example or Hybrid Talent. You have Twin Strike with a Bow/Crossbow which also counts as an implement for a Monk - you can use Bracers of Archery with your Monk powers as an example.

Kind of a Zen Archer type. With Quicksilver Motion at level 6, you zoom into combat when you need to do it. Invigorating Stride is always a good power for some self-healing/move
    That sounds really interesting, thanks!

I'll play around with some builds and be back with more questions. Thanks for your help guys! If you think of anything else don't be shy to throw advice at me.

6. - Top - End - #6

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spoon View Post
    Thief actually looks pretty good, but I'm worried I might get bored with only basic attacks.
    You might look at a dagger-based Brutal Scoundrel build of Rogue then. Better damage than Artful Dodger and you can build one to have excellent mobility for skirmishing. It's not quite as good at switching between ranged and melee as a Thief, but it's more interesting and you get easy access to some minor-action attacks.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Staff Expertise Warlock Attempt 1:

Spoiler
    Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Clarion, level 4
    Eladrin, Warlock
    Build: Deceptive Warlock
    Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast Charisma
    Eldritch Pact: Fey Pact
    Eladrin Subrace: Sun Elf (Eladrin)
    Select option: Eladrin Skill Bonuses
    Select option: Wizard Implement Proficiency
    Select option: Eladrin Education
    Background: Warsmith (Warsmith Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 19, Wis 10, Cha 19.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 16.

AC: 20 Fort: 16 Reflex: 19 Will: 19
    HP: 39 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
    Diplomacy +11, Streetwise +11, Religion +11, Arcana +13, History +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +2, Bluff +6, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +3, Heal +2, Insight +2, Intimidate +6, Nature +2, Perception +2, Stealth +2, Thievery +2, Athletics +2

FEATS
    Level 1: Staff Expertise
    Level 2: Hafted Defense
    Level 4: Great Fortitude

POWERS
    Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast
    Warlock encounter 1: Witchfire
    Warlock daily 1: Decree of Khirad
    Warlock utility 2: Assassin's Bane
    Warlock encounter 3: Eldritch Rain

ITEMS
    Runic Quarterstaff +1, Parchment Leather Armor +1, Periapt of Health +1, Adventurer's Kit

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you're looking to increase your Striker potential, I recommend the following changes: drop your STR to 8 & raise CON to 13; grab Auspicious Birth as your background; switch pacts to Sorcerer-King; keep Staff Expertise, but move it to level 2; level 1 feat: Mindbite Scorn; level 4 feat Accurate Implement Proficiency or Improved Defenses. Probably Superior Will at level 6. Change A1 to Eldritch Strike, E1 to Flickering Venom, U2 to Ethereal Stride, and E3 to Delban's Deadly Attention.
    Through a series of unfortunate events, my handle on the WotC boards was darkwarlock.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As someone who has played a Thief, allow me to warn you. A decently optimized Thief (charging primarily) is a force to be reckoned with. You will be devastating, but you may grow bored of it after a little. I had begun to look forward to social encounters rather than combat. I had become a point and death striker. Meaning, I hit that guy...he's dead.

If you do wish to still play it, as mechanically a Thief is straight forward and leaves RP completely open to the player, then I would recommend a few things. One, take the Gritty Srgt. background and grant yourself a Rapier. Bracers of Mighty Striking are a given. Tactical and Ambush trick should be your initial Tricks as you will have CA 99% of the time with these. Also, grab the Backstabber feat to up your Sneak Attack to D8s. I would also recommend the Purple Knight of Comeryr (sp?) theme as it would grant you some other options during combat. Unfortunately I have no idea which Dragon magazine has this.

If you decide to incorporate the Charging damage, you will want a Vanguard Rapier, Surprising Charge feat, Horned Helm, and Badge of the Berserker. There may be more, but I do not recall at the moment. These will net you an additional 2d8+1d6 on a charge plus you won't provoke an OA. This path is Magic item dependent, but most of the items are of lower rarity and relatively easy to acquire even with more stringent DMs.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut7 View Post
    Unfortunately I have no idea which Dragon magazine has this.
    Purple Dragon theme. Dragon 407.

I have to agree, though: Thieves can be quite boring to play, effective as they are.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by darkbard View Post
    Purple Dragon theme. Dragon 407.

I have to agree, though: Thieves can be quite boring to play, effective as they are.
    Thank you. Man they are effective though. The intimidation bonuses my DM would give me...good times.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you not have a Defender?

Also, does your Striker class HAVE to be Melee? If so, I would not underestimate how fun a Supercharger Barbarian can be, even if only mildly optimized. I've played one and had a BLAST.

If melee is not a must, I recommend a Sorcerer. Wild Magic can be a great deal of fun as well. Sorcerer is simpler than Warlock. But there was a Dragon Magazine article for Infernal Pact Warlocks with a new At-Will and Encounter Powers with Pact riders that were all CHA-based, finally allowing for Tieflings to be decent Fiendlocks.

These are just ones I have personally seen in play that either were, or seemed, the most fun while remaining effective.

Of course, if you DO lack a defender, I recommend Dragonborn Fighter (take Hurl Breath, and mark every target in area), or Dwarf Lifeblood Warden (a STR/WIS build, also helps with healing in larger party).
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    But there was a Dragon Magazine article for Infernal Pact Warlocks with a new At-Will and Encounter Powers with Pact riders that were all CHA-based, finally allowing for Tieflings to be decent Fiendlocks.
    The Essentials update to Tieflings allows them to take CHA and either CON or INT for their main stat, allowing them to be fully functional Infernal pact warlocks, which was a better fix, imo.
    4e Homebrew: Shadow Knight, Scout
    roll20: Kitru

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePurple View Post
    The Essentials update to Tieflings allows them to take CHA and either CON or INT for their main stat, allowing them to be fully functional Infernal pact warlocks, which was a better fix, imo.
    No, because INT is still the secondary for Warlocks. CHA/INT is the build for every pact except Infernal, and the new powers I mentioned allow a CHA-based Infernal warlock while going CHA/INT as a Tiefling.

P.S.
    there was also a Dragon Magazine update that gave "floating" stats to ALL non-human races.

RedMage Prestige Class!

"Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    No, because INT is still the secondary for Warlocks. CHA/INT is the build for every pact except Infernal, and the new powers I mentioned allow a CHA-based Infernal warlock while going CHA/INT as a Tiefling.
    Vestige?

Constitution Warlocks have some fantastic powers. Elder Constellation is encounter swap two targets, Vestige of the Onyx Queen is Petrification on blast.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MwaO View Post
    Vestige?

Constitution Warlocks have some fantastic powers. Elder Constellation is encounter swap two targets, Vestige of the Onyx Queen is Petrification on blast.
    Fair enough, forgot about that one.

Star Pact could be CHA or CON, with most later material favoring CHA.

Fey is CHA, Dark is CHA, Sorcerer-King is CHA, Gloom is CHA.

The Hexblade and Binder classes from Heroes of Shadow were CHA based as well.

It's easy to primarily think of Warlock in 4e as a CHA based class with a few CON based builds.

EDIT: Sorcerer-King could be either CHA or CON, only one I've ever seen was CHA, so I forgot.
    Last edited by RedMage125; 2017-02-28 at 04:45 PM.

RedMage Prestige Class!

17. - Top - End - #17

BardGuy

I enjoyed the crap out of the Wellblade e-Lock. Teleports for days. Adding Sorcerer (or *maybe* Invoker for some Radiant Mafia-style shenanigans, Wis permitting) will give you that extra burst/minion-clearing damage that a pure striker lacks.