New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Tower of God: Turtles Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure about future angst... both Black March and Green April have stated that they will not activate again for Juri. Of course, after going this nuts, she may have a convenient reason to never try again either, so her secret failing will be protected. Sigh, that woman and her delicate ego...

I have the feeling Bam is walking into a trap. Things are going too smoothly for him, and if he gets another thorn fragment he will be waaaaay too OP.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I imagine if he does get a fragment they will continue with the idea that he can't properly use it, right before they got onto the hell train it seemed pretty clear that that thing was to much for him to handle before he got potential upgrades. Also I feel another time skip coming soon, probably one putting them all closer to the top of the tower and bringing more Rankers into the plot.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

I hope Baam turns back to help Yuri.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure about future angst... both Black March and Green April have stated that they will not activate again for Juri. Of course, after going this nuts, she may have a convenient reason to never try again either, so her secret failing will be protected. Sigh, that woman and her delicate ego...

I have the feeling Bam is walking into a trap. Things are going too smoothly for him, and if he gets another thorn fragment he will be waaaaay too OP.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Future angst = "Oh no, look at the terrible things I did with this one chance I had to ignite a Thirteen Month series weapon. [X consequences] happened because I was too greedy to settle for just one ignition and too proud to admit my limits." She doesn't have to ignite BM/GA again for that.

I don't know if the thorn fragment will end up with Baam, but consider: what level of threat would require Urek to bail him out? Even two-fragment Baam is probably not too OP for that. We'll see, though. I agree that things will get rough for Baam soon, regardless.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Banned

I'm fully expecting Rachel to win this time and get a fragment of the thorn. Things are going way too strong for Bam, and he's getting way too powerful in comparison to his main antagonists. Something has to balance things out.

Plus, we know Hoaquin and Karaka are headed for the same place Bam is with the souls.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know if the thorn fragment will end up with Baam, but consider: what level of threat would require Urek to bail him out? Even two-fragment Baam is probably not too OP for that. We'll see, though. I agree that things will get rough for Baam soon, regardless.
    Spoiler
    Show
    One fragment Karaka might just be dangerous enough to require Urek showing up.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    One fragment Karaka might just be dangerous enough to require Urek showing up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder about that. Right now he's weaker than Yuri, who is "only" a top 500 ranker. It would take a pretty incredible power leap to put him anywhere near Urek.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder about that. Right now he's weaker than Yuri, who is "only" a top 500 ranker. It would take a pretty incredible power leap to put him anywhere near Urek.
    Remember, rank is NOT necessarily equivalent to combat power. Ranking is done by an organization inside the tower and is based on the information they have and their personal determination, and based on their particular strengths and weaknesses it is 100% possible for one person with drastically lower rank to 1v1 somebody with much higher rank because of the nature of their power (Evan Edrok, for instance, is ranked HIGHER than Yuri, and basically nobody even pretends he could take her in a 1v1 fight).

Especially on the author's blog information, quite a number of rankers have gotten HUGE jumps in rank after particular incidents come to the attention of the ranking authority. I recall him stating somebody (I believe it was Enryu, it may have been Eurasia, I can't remember which) jumped hundreds of ranks basically overnight after he killed the Guardian.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Remember, rank is NOT necessarily equivalent to combat power. Ranking is done by an organization inside the tower and is based on the information they have and their personal determination, and based on their particular strengths and weaknesses it is 100% possible for one person with drastically lower rank to 1v1 somebody with much higher rank because of the nature of their power (Evan Edrok, for instance, is ranked HIGHER than Yuri, and basically nobody even pretends he could take her in a 1v1 fight).

Especially on the author's blog information, quite a number of rankers have gotten HUGE jumps in rank after particular incidents come to the attention of the ranking authority. I recall him stating somebody (I believe it was Enryu, it may have been Eurasia, I can't remember which) jumped hundreds of ranks basically overnight after he killed the Guardian.
    I'm sure that's true, but it's not like Yuri is some unknown entity either. She's a princess who has been gifted a 13 month series. In theory she should be ranked somewhat appropriately, and while combat may not be the only thing they look at, it does seem to factor in heavily. Evan is only ranked so highly because he's the best guide in the tower if I remember correctly. He seems to be the exception rather than the rule. At least from examples we've seen. I don't follow the blog as closely as you though, so maybe my perception is wrong.

Still, even if Yuri is way stronger than I'm giving her credit for...it would still be an insane power leap for Karaka to get anywhere near Urek just from one thorn fragment. I'm sure the thorn will be overwhelmingly strong when it's completed, but from a story perspective 1/4th of it shouldn't let you compete with the strongest person in the tower.

Or maybe it's the 2nd strongest. Is Phantaminium still in the Tower somewhere or did he escape somehow? I seem to remember SUI saying he wouldn't play much of a role in this story, but it seems like an odd plot hook to create and never use.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Still, even if Yuri is way stronger than I'm giving her credit for...it would still be an insane power leap for Karaka to get anywhere near Urek just from one thorn fragment. I'm sure the thorn will be overwhelmingly strong when it's completed, but from a story perspective 1/4th of it shouldn't let you compete with the strongest person in the tower.
    He doesn't need to get near Urek though - he just needs to get dangerous enough that Urek is needed to bail Bam out, and all that really takes is getting stronger than Yuri.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Banned

He doesn't need to get near Urek though - he just needs to get dangerous enough that Urek is needed to bail Bam out, and all that really takes is getting stronger than Yuri.
    True. There's just not a lot of tension to a story where the protagonist gets bailed out by an omnipotent ally. Just my opinion.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

It's also possible Yuri becomes the biggest threat. Then Mazino's a good candidate to snap her out of it because they go back a ways, plus he's more than strong enough.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Or maybe it's the 2nd strongest. Is Phantaminium still in the Tower somewhere or did he escape somehow? I seem to remember SUI saying he wouldn't play much of a role in this story, but it seems like an odd plot hook to create and never use.
    Spoiler: Outside of Tower Spoilers
    Show

I don't know how much attention people pay so S.I.U's other work or how much they know about the tower so I'll spoil this bit. Phantaminium won't be showing up much because he is a Talze Uzer, an almost literal god who has the special ability to declare what reality is within a certain area of themselves. They literally can declare themselves the winner of any fight with the only competition being another of similar power. So the guy is certainly an interesting plot for background point but he literally would overpower the story. Although I think he may have some relation to Bam not being dead after Zahad apparently killed him.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

True. There's just not a lot of tension to a story where the protagonist gets bailed out by an omnipotent ally. Just my opinion.
    I don't disagree. What got this whole thing started was speculation on what it would take to force Urek to come bail Bam out; that doesn't mean I consider that a particularly interesting way for the narrative to go.

-- ChubbyRain

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm sure that's true, but it's not like Yuri is some unknown entity either. She's a princess who has been gifted a 13 month series. In theory she should be ranked somewhat appropriately, and while combat may not be the only thing they look at, it does seem to factor in heavily. Evan is only ranked so highly because he's the best guide in the tower if I remember correctly. He seems to be the exception rather than the rule. At least from examples we've seen. I don't follow the blog as closely as you though, so maybe my perception is wrong.

Urek is the strongest ACTIVE Ranker in the tower, but ranked #4 overall, behind Zahard, Enryu and Phantaminum. Both Enryu and Phantaminum are unambiguously more powerful than he is, but for different reasons. Phantaminum is an Axis, a true reality warper that cannot be defeated except by another Axis, while Enryu is the only person to ever handle over 9000 bangs of Shinsoo, but neither has been seen for a very long time. Zahard's status is equally questionable, but his power level compared to Urek's has never really been specified, so its debatable who is stronger.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2017-03-29 at 07:00 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Outside of Tower Spoilers
    Whats the source of this information?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #106
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Whats the source of this information?
    Author blogs I think. There's a fair bit of bonus material on there that doesn't get translated by official sources.
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Spoiler: Outside of Tower Spoilers
    Show

I don't know how much attention people pay so S.I.U's other work or how much they know about the tower so I'll spoil this bit. Phantaminium won't be showing up much because he is a Talze Uzer, an almost literal god who has the special ability to declare what reality is within a certain area of themselves. They literally can declare themselves the winner of any fight with the only competition being another of similar power. So the guy is certainly an interesting plot for background point but he literally would overpower the story. Although I think he may have some relation to Bam not being dead after Zahad apparently killed him.
    So you're saying we would need someone on Rak's level to best him?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

So you're saying we would need someone on Rak's level to best him?
    Hey, it's no coincidence that Rak has been conspicuously absent from the recent arc. The truth must not come out until the appointed time.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Hey, it's no coincidence that Rak has been conspicuously absent from the recent arc. The truth must not come out until the appointed time.
    Which is a shame, because a comic without Rak is a comic not worth reading.

I really do hope we move back to more of the original cast soon, or at least team Sweet and Sour. Most of the new characters like Boro, Sachi, and generic sword guy aren't nearly as interesting...even if they're technically more powerful.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

I really do hope we move back to more of the original cast soon, or at least team Sweet and Sour. Most of the new characters like Boro, Sachi, and generic sword guy aren't nearly as interesting...even if they're technically more powerful.
    I can follow you on that, it is kinda annoying how far the other members of the original trio, and in particular Rak, has fallen behind compared to his initial role of big unreasonable monster.

Heh... though the "yank his banana off" bit still cracks me off
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2017-03-30 at 05:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

I can follow you on that, it is kinda annoying how far the other members of the original trio, and in particular Rak, has fallen behind compared to his initial role of big unreasonable monster.

Heh... though the "yank his banana off" bit still cracks me off
    Don't worry. Rak is eternally enshrined as my avatar on this forum.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Most of the new characters like Boro, Sachi, and generic sword guy aren't nearly as interesting...even if they're technically more powerful.
    It's almost like these factors have basically nothing to do with each other.

-- ChubbyRain

23. - Top - End - #113
    Banned

It's almost like these factors have basically nothing to do with each other.
    I mean, it's basically a shonen. More powerful characters typically tend to be more popular with the fanbase for these types of stories. There's no need to be sarcastic about it.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think Sachi, Boro, Sword-guy (he doesn't even have a name! in universe!), etc are popular with fans in general. Though Sachi's 'vine' may have earned a few grudging converts recently. I thought for shonen it was style begets fans, and fans beget power, anyway.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, it's basically a shonen. More powerful characters typically tend to be more popular with the fanbase for these types of stories. There's no need to be sarcastic about it.
    Interesting and popular with the fanbase are two different things - I stand by that sarcasm.

-- ChubbyRain

26. - Top - End - #116
    Banned

Interesting and popular with the fanbase are two different things - I stand by that sarcasm.
    It's just too bad that you are not the universal decider of what people find interesting I suppose.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Don't worry. Rak is eternally enshrined as my avatar on this forum.
    Its just sad that its from after the first part of his decline into comedy relief

Honestly think ToG has gotten worse than Bleach in that regard

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Its just sad that its from after the first part of his decline into comedy relief

Honestly think ToG has gotten worse than Bleach in that regard
    Just to be sure, I'm double checking. Rak appears in Season 1, Chapter 6. He's rapping turtles by the end of Season 1, Chapter 7. Comedy relief is as fundamental to his role as anything. I think the 'relief' part of that is more important than the 'comedy'. Rak will return when the story is ready to ease off some tension. We want Rak when the story is getting too tense and serious.

That may be too generous, but that's the basic idea.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Just to be sure, I'm double checking. Rak appears in Season 1, Chapter 6. He's rapping turtles by the end of Season 1, Chapter 7. Comedy relief is as fundamental to his role as anything. I think the 'relief' part of that is more important than the 'comedy'. Rak will return when the story is ready to ease off some tension. We want Rak when the story is getting too tense and serious.
    Just yelling about turtles dont make him comedy relief. Im thinking about when he got reduced from huge monster to pet size.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

New update

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like Anteros was right. Probably.

Also, don't be coy, Hockney, you know what he means.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2017-04-03 at 12:06 AM.