New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Banned

Default Re: Tower of God: Turtles Everywhere

I got worried when I saw the chapter thumbnail was Rachel, but it ended up being a really good chapter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Seeing Bam finally turn his back on her was so satisfying.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Current chapter
    Show
    I was expecting butthurt in the comments section when Rachel ran onto the scene, but I appreciated that she arrived huffing and out of breath in a dull tracksuit while Bam is strutting around like a prince. Then he delivers a goodbye/hero speech so well-deserved, I'm surprised he didn't also shove Rachel off his floating platform at the end of it.

A deeply satisfying chapter just for that, really.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

I must confess i honestly wish Rachel actually get the Thorn fragment in a fair contest. Purely because it seems like we are stuck with her as a antagonist. And i would then prefer if she at least were a little effective, and could do anything besides petty manipulations.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, especially with Bam slowly getting over her she really needs to be more of a credible antagonist if she continues in that role.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Banned

She really does need a win if she's going to stay relevant.

Alternatively, they could just kill her off or retire her for a while. She could disappear for a while and come back into the story later with some sort of power up and it would be ok. Or they could play to her strengths and just have her stay as a schemer and give her team a win. It's when she's on the front lines like this that the power disparity really shows through.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    She really does need a win if she's going to stay relevant.

Alternatively, they could just kill her off or retire her for a while. She could disappear for a while and come back into the story later with some sort of power up and it would be ok. Or they could play to her strengths and just have her stay as a schemer and give her team a win. It's when she's on the front lines like this that the power disparity really shows through.
    Not really.

Frankly the vibe I'm getting off Rachel is that she's starting to realize just how incompetent and pathetically underpowered she is in the Tower.

That kind of thing doesn't usually end well. In fact, it usually ends with the incompetent screwing around with forces they don't really understand and can't control.

I'm getting the feeling that in the near future Rachel is going to do something really, REALLY stupid like wake up Zahard or release Eurasia with the belief that they are going to reward her or that she can manipulate and control them.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Not really.

Frankly the vibe I'm getting off Rachel is that she's starting to realize just how incompetent and pathetically underpowered she is in the Tower.

That kind of thing doesn't usually end well. In fact, it usually ends with the incompetent screwing around with forces they don't really understand and can't control.

I'm getting the feeling that in the near future Rachel is going to do something really, REALLY stupid like wake up Zahard or release Eurasia with the belief that they are going to reward her or that she can manipulate and control them.
    The problem with that is she's the main antagonist. As much as everyone hates her, a HUGE portion of the plot revolves around her, and if she's never given a proper position or credibility in that antagonist role it hurts the story overall.

I mean, you could have the antagonist for the first half of the story only exist to introduce the second half's antagonist, but I don't think that's very good storytelling.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Banned

Bit of a slow update. SUI loves fleshing out his characters and making them believable as people. It's a fantastic trait for an author to have, but I just can't bring myself to care too much about Hell Joe.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

It's good to know just what kind of power Hell Joe has, but I think the important thing we learned this chapter is
    Spoiler
    Show
    Urek Mazino knows how to make an entrance.

He also may have a thing for the Ha family women, though I could be mistaken.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Banned

I'm a little spoiled with ToG I think. I was feeling like nothing happened, but we still got Bam/Rachel, Hell Joe's entire backstory, and Mazino is here. That's like 20-30 updates for some other comics.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Urek Mazino is great.
    Being unable to use 95% of his power is a handycap to him.

Greating Wangnang like an old friend was pretty amusing too.

But how long did Karaka spend on his room that he doesn't know who is showing him no respect.

And it seems af if Bam will join the main fun at Joe's place soon.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

12. - Top - End - #132
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Urek Mazino is great.
    Being unable to use 95% of his power is a handycap to him.

Greating Wangnang like an old friend was pretty amusing too.

But how long did Karaka spend on his room that he doesn't know who is showing him no respect.

And it seems af if Bam will join the main fun at Joe's place soon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not really sure what Rachel is supposed to bring to this team up? If Baam can't beat Joe alone, adding Rachel isn't going to make any difference. In fact it'll be worse since he'll end up protecting her, and she'll betray him again. He really is stupid when it comes to her.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not really sure what Rachel is supposed to bring to this team up? If Baam can't beat Joe alone, adding Rachel isn't going to make any difference. In fact it'll be worse since he'll end up protecting her, and she'll betray him again. He really is stupid when it comes to her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's why I was doing my best to ignore her involvement.

But who knows? Maybe we are lucky and a stray shot hits her.
    Not that I want her dead- that's way to good for her -but if she ends up blind, even if it is just temporary, that would be incredibly sweet justice.

Anyway, with the current set-up I expect that she will be the betrayed one this time.
    With her current team- the whole situation actually -she has bitten off more than she can chew. Sooner or later she will choke on it.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Rachel is a schemer. She can turn Hell Joe's underlings against him for example.

Did she say she's got Hockney's soul stashed in her luggage? Baam will surely reveal that to Hockney on the way. But Rachel will probably convince Hockney that's not true using Emily.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

New chapter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Urek talks to the finger, and
    Did Baam just kill? An immortal at that.

I guess we're also going to be learning more about Hell Joe's past. With his claim to steal abilities, and his materialistic greed, he's quite a contrast against our noble Baam. Hell Joe has such worldly aims.

16. - Top - End - #136

Spoiler
    Show
    Urek and Baam really showing just how badly irregulars break the game. You have immortality? Nah. I can do what I want.

Hell Joe is beyond screwed. Urek's going to show up and take away his pet that I think is what lets him steal abilities (I'll have to re-read later to remember if it's that or something else). Then Baam is going to face-stomp him, and when Garam is done fixing Yuri then two powerful princesses are going to be added to the mix.

Karaka didn't bring his real body, and as expected can't even inconvenience Urek Mazino.

In other news, the 13 month series continue to talk about the "King" that they are waiting for, coupled with Baam igniting Black March when even the princesses have trouble doing that... A lot of this arc looks like set up for the battle against Zahad. Now, will that setup be played straight, or will new complications arise...?
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Has Bam just said that he and Rachel are enemies?
    Be afraid girl. Be very afraid.

Also is it just me or is Rachel really bothered by this?
    Does this really surprise her after everything that happened?
    Seriously, as nice as Bam is and as much as he clings to (his image of) Rachel- what should surprise her is that it took him so long.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Has Bam just said that he and Rachel are enemies?
    Be afraid girl. Be very afraid.

Also is it just me or is Rachel really bothered by this?
    Does this really surprise her after everything that happened?
    Seriously, as nice as Bam is and as much as he clings to (his image of) Rachel- what should surprise her is that it took him so long.
    Yes, Rachel is definitely bothered by Baam's statement.
    I think she does love him to some extent. She just wants to be 'the chosen one' more.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: New chapter
    Show
    The power of ignorance is strong in Bam.
    „That guy was immortal? I didn't know that.”

The bit about the failed princess being what makes the 13 Month-users go on rampages was interesting.
    And what breaks the possession? The fancy exorcism bell? Nope. True love.

That Hell Joe's mooks think they have any business getting involved in the fights is just sad.
    „There's a killer in the castle” indeed.

Oh, and Joey? Go home. No one cares about you.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not convinced the spell is broken yet. That seems pretty anti-climactic. I think it's more likely that the person possessing Yuri recognizes Bam.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Possible. I just wanted to make that „true love” comment.

22. - Top - End - #142

Spoiler: New Chapter
    Show
    Rachel not being evil? Wat?

Also, Urek ditches his limiter and, something I didn't notice on the first read-through, Beta getting out of Khun's wrecked lighthouse.

Also, the Gran family are all nutcases and Hell Joe is apparently just really bitter about everything. Bitter enough to become a brutal murderous tyrant. Yeah still not sympathetic to Joe.
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Joe is interesting because he is easily what Baam could have - or might still - turn into. He was an idealistic guy with a lot of power trying to help others, but was rebuked by the malice of those around him. At some point he simply snapped.

I mean, the guy is still bad, but after knowing the story, it feels like everyone around him is equally as bad or even worse. Joe may be an idiot overdosing on power, but at least he was trying to do something... unlike the others, who were content with rotting in their prison. Hell, even his current goal is to break out, which is not really unsympathetic to me. De Lee and De Sah seem much, much worse right now.
    Last edited by Ravenlord; 2017-05-22 at 01:49 PM.
    There is no such thing as "innocence", only degrees of guilt.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't sympathize with either side. It seems to be a theme that the further up the tower you go, the more it corrupts you. We'll probably see more and more morally grey characters as we ascend.

Also, WTF is Rachel doing? It's waaaay too late for any kind of redemption for her to be palatable.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, now I hope Bam & Co wreck this place. So everyone can leave.
    The Tower might be a terrible place, but this tops it. Hell Joe might be a monster, but De Lee and De Sah are just as bad, if not worse. "Destiny" is clearly just a excuse for them to stay in charge.
    I don't doubt that if they got their will they would continue to rule the Floor of Death after Hell Joe is dealt with.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Poor Princess Garam. She already seems to be regretting what she accidentally agreed to.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    I definitely agree with Rachel there. The whole Thorn/Savior thing is just a lie to stay in power. And odd as this may sound, I hope she survives. And not just because she still deserves worse.

Hell Joe doesn't look as if he is (entirely) at home right now.
    Might explain why he has gotten smaller.
    Well, at least it might be part of it. Sharing space with something that powerful can't be healthy- even if it can't actually influence him.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Banned

Show
    I definitely agree with Rachel there. The whole Thorn/Savior thing is just a lie to stay in power. And odd as this may sound, I hope she survives. And not just because she still deserves worse.

Hell Joe doesn't look as if he is (entirely) at home right now.
    Might explain why he has gotten smaller.
    Well, at least it might be part of it. Sharing space with something that powerful can't be healthy- even if it can't actually influence him.
    Decent chapter.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't want Rachel to die either, not that I think she's in any real danger here. Her narrative in the story obviously isn't finished. I hope we move to the next chapter soon. There's too many powerful figures around right now for the main cast to shine. Plus we need to get Rak back.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: New comic
    Show
    Well, that should get interesting.
    Our heroes have the spoon-thingy they wanted Urek invites "Baby" into his club and Hoaquin is going to channel Freezer.
    That won't end well. Going One Winged Angel never helps. As the Red Thryssa just demonstrated.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The rate at which Baam acquires powerups from his environment just keeps exponentiating. Gonna have Clash of Clans inside his skull over the next arc or two. Probably after the Ladle and Soul Box are dealt with.

Any idea what question Koon has for Rachel?