New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default protecting from implosion

What ways are there?

Does talisman of undying fortitude help? (also, does it work as intended, or is the description faulty?)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: protecting from implosion

Undead are arguably immune, since they cannot be affected by anything requiring a fortitude save unless it can also target an object. I could also see an argument of the target section overriding that immunity, as most undead are corporeal, and incorporeal creatures on their own are already immune (as are gaseous creatures).

If you're wondering if there's something like death ward that can protect you? There isn't as far as I'm aware. The spell is not a death effect, it is simply crushing you into nonexistence. The spell states the only two things that can save you (apart from not being a creature I suppose), and that's being in gaseous form, or being incorporeal, or otherwise just having an incredible fortitude save and something like steadfast determination to ensure you don't fail on a 1.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A spellblade would do it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well, let's look at each part of it:
    Quote Originally Posted by srd
    Evocation
    Level: Clr 9, Destruction 9
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Targets: One corporeal creature/round
    Duration: Concentration (up to 4 rounds)
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

You create a destructive resonance in a corporeal creature’s body. For each round you concentrate, you cause one creature to collapse in on itself, killing it. (This effect, being instantaneous, cannot be dispelled.)

You can target a particular creature only once with each casting of the spell.

Implosion has no effect on creatures in gaseous form or on incorporeal creatures.
    So, there are several easy ways around this:
    1. Spell Resistance. Shapechanging into a Golem for Spell Immunity stops it in its tracks. Less extreme SR should also be able to stop it if you can get it high enough.
    2. Only corporeal creatures are valid targets. Ghostform spell gets around this handily.
    3. It targets a finite amount of creatures. As a result, Swarms are unharmed.
    4. It allows a FORT save, and only effects creatures. Thus, any creature without a CON score (such as undead and non-living constructs), is immune.
    5. It targets creatures, which means Spellblades and Spell Turning can protect you. +1 Poisoned Ring Spellblades are useful and not too expensive by the time you might be facing Implosions.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I second on what Necroticplague said but also look at the range, if you stay far away and have someone kill them from afar you should be fine, then there is the fact that it is a concentration spell meaning that if you attack the caster and interrupt it, its over unless he casts it again on his next turn.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glossary
    death attack: A spell or special ability that instantly slays the target, such as finger of death. Neither raise dead nor reincarnation can grant life to a creature slain by a death attack, though resurrection and more powerful effects can.
    Seems to me Implosion should be blocked by all the usual things that block death attacks.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

These are usually clearly labeled.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

As the brain says, all death attacks instantly slays the target, but not all attacks that instantly slays their target is a death attack.

((and shuush! yes.. you who are about to point out obscure death spell nr 237.. dont! im watching you))
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Undead are arguably immune, since they cannot be affected by anything requiring a fortitude save unless it can also target an object. I could also see an argument of the target section overriding that immunity, as most undead are corporeal, and incorporeal creatures on their own are already immune (as are gaseous creatures).

If you're wondering if there's something like death ward that can protect you? There isn't as far as I'm aware. The spell is not a death effect, it is simply crushing you into nonexistence. The spell states the only two things that can save you (apart from not being a creature I suppose), and that's being in gaseous form, or being incorporeal, or otherwise just having an incredible fortitude save and something like steadfast determination to ensure you don't fail on a 1.
    It's an effect that allows a fortitude save that does not also affect objects. I don't see a reading where you could legally target an undead with this spell. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Seems to me Implosion should be blocked by all the usual things that block death attacks.
    both the things the glossary refers to as "death attacks" are actually death effects so I gather it's talking about those. implosion, as mentioned, isn't a death effect, so stuff like death ward wouldn't work.

the glossary just has to be as unhelpful as possible, it had to use the phrase "death attack" and everything when that's already a defined game term. death attack is a death effect.

aside from the aforementioned methods of protection, you might pursue magic immunity through shapechanging into something like a willowisp, or becoming immune to fort saves by shapechanging into a zern or being 10th level master transmogrifist
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    It's an effect that allows a fortitude save that does not also affect objects. I don't see a reading where you could legally target an undead with this spell. Am I missing something?
    Well, you can technically legally target them, it just wouldn't do anything. As corporeal creatures, they're valid targets, but as immune creatures, it doesn't do anything to them.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Well, you can technically legally target them, it just wouldn't do anything. As corporeal creatures, they're valid targets, but as immune creatures, it doesn't do anything to them.
    oh, I see. yeah that's true. thanks for clarifying
    Last edited by Venger; 2017-02-20 at 07:47 PM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    These are usually clearly labeled.
    Yes, but they don't need to be. Any effect that instantly slays a target is still a death effect.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Like a coup de grace with a rusty axe?

OT, Spell Turning could help, or Elminster's Effulgent Epuration.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yes, but they don't need to be. Any effect that instantly slays a target is still a death effect.
    DM: That's it! Rocks fall, everyone dies!
    Player: I have death ward.
    DM: I hate you all.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Damage doesn't instantly slay the target, it just reduces their hit points.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Damage doesn't instantly slay the target, it just reduces their hit points.
    Coup de grace includes a Fort save or die though which is obviously what I was getting at.

EDIT: same applies to Massive Damage saves.
    Last edited by Mr Adventurer; 2017-02-21 at 04:29 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    oh, I see. yeah that's true. thanks for clarifying
    I was more referring to the fact that undead state they are immune to anything that requires a fort save unless it also can target an object, a general rule, but implosion can target any corporeal creature, that being the more specific rule overriding the undead's immunity. I mean, let's be honest, what is it about an undead's anatomy that prevents it from being imploded? If it couldn't affect creatures without a con score, it would have said "one living corporeal creature/round"
    Last edited by Crake; 2017-02-21 at 06:41 AM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    I was more referring to the fact that undead state they are immune to anything that requires a fort save unless it also can target an object, a general rule, but implosion can target any corporeal creature, that being the more specific rule overriding the undead's immunity. I mean, let's be honest, what is it about an undead's anatomy that prevents it from being imploded? If it couldn't affect creatures without a con score, it would have said "one living corporeal creature/round"
    1. Them being valid targets in no way contradicts them being immune, as i pointed out earlier. It's just like how a human with Mind Blank is a valid target for Charm Person, it just doesn't do anything.
    2. If lines stating who is effected overid immunity lines, then all immunities would be useless. Thus, this is a highly questionable interpretation of the rules, and thus likely to be false.
    3.The same thing that prevents them from being turned into a frog, effected by a disease, poisoned, or similar.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you have a rules base for this? Because you can't reach that conclusion from just the terms.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Not necessarily. Its like saying that all Golden Retrievers are Dogs therefore all Dogs are Golden Retrievers.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

both the things the glossary refers to as "death attacks" are actually death effects so I gather it's talking about those. implosion, as mentioned, isn't a death effect, so stuff like death ward wouldn't work.
    In that case, Death Ward would work against only 5 spells in Core. And there'd be a bunch that circumvent it by just doing just as good of a job.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordaedil View Post
    In that case, Death Ward would work against only 5 spells in Core. And there'd be a bunch that circumvent it by just doing just as good of a job.
    Yes. That is correct. It doesn't block a lot of spells. Its primary use is protecting you from energy drain.

Iron Chef Medals!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Spamalot in the Playground

The primary use of death ward is defending against negative levels and energy draining monsters like vampires, wights and succubi. [Death] spells, while obviously dangerous, have more numerous defenses against them too.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Get your fortitude save arbitrarily high, then add Steadfast Determination?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

There might only be 5 death spells, but there are more monster abilities that are labeled as death effects, and death ward protects against other things as mentioned.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!