New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default d20 modern monster lore

I'm having issues trying to deal with monster lore in d20 modern. I run a steampunk/horror (ish) game and the mechanism for using monster lore in 3.0 which is ok, and pathfinder which is better, is hard to translate across to the revised knowledge skills. Specifically, knowledge (planes) so the players have a chance of finding out about blasphemous tentacled things that keep coming out of walls and pestering them. Anyone done any work on this or have any suggestions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Default Re: d20 modern monster lore

Quote Originally Posted by terrymd View Post
    I'm having issues trying to deal with monster lore in d20 modern. I run a steampunk/horror (ish) game and the mechanism for using monster lore in 3.0 which is ok, and pathfinder which is better, is hard to translate across to the revised knowledge skills. Specifically, knowledge (planes) so the players have a chance of finding out about blasphemous tentacled things that keep coming out of walls and pestering them. Anyone done any work on this or have any suggestions?
    I have most of the D20 Modern books, but haven't really read them in quite some time. There should be knowledge skills in the game, I'd just have it be something like Knowledge Arcane Lore to cover the weird arcane gribblies bothering the PCs.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Just make up whatever knowledge skills you need for the campaign and tell players they can put points in them? Do knowledges work differently in d20m? I forget.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Just make up whatever knowledge skills you need for the campaign and tell players they can put points in them? Do knowledges work differently in d20m? I forget.
    They work like D&D 3.0 does, more or less. Arcane Lore is the closest in system without adding new skills to existing games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The thing is, 3.0/3.x Knowledge is pretty open-ended. You can use it for whatever subjects you want, as long as the DM and player agree on what knowledge is available in the setting.

Now, Arcane Lore does sound like it covers what the OP is asking for pretty handily, and it's probably not something that needs to be subdivided like it is in D&D (Arcana for magical monsters, Nature for natural monsters, Religion for holy/unholy monsters, Planes for extraplanar monsters, etc. etc. etc.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack