New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: This is partially Bandana's fault

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Not necessarily. At the end of the day, it comes down to trust. Trusting that the people above you in the chain have your best interests at heart, and the people below you are willing to cooperate for their own sakes. And above all else, trusting that everybody involved is competent at their jobs. Chaotic people value personal freedoms, but just because they have the freedom to be stupid and self destructive doesn't mean they will engage in that particular freedom.
    To be sure, I view myself as a CN... But I'm a freelance translator, so, no chain of command whatsoever...

Of course, I'm still polite to a fault towards my clients...
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    She had no problem striking a friendly conversation with Roy and Beklar
    I'm not sure it's such a binary situation that either you're so utterly lacking in social skills that you can't talk to people at all, or you're at least slightly better than that and we'll just call you someone with good social skills. Having the confidence to talk to a stranger and the skill to form coherent sentences is a rather low bar.

(although she started pretty abrasive)
    Case in point.

and got people to listen to her in the instances her reasoning seemed reasonable.
    I disagree on this point. Pragmatic people--such as the captain of a rag tag group of pirates, or said rag tag group of pirates whose very survival depends on good decision making and competently executing those decisions--know that it's often in their best interest to listen to people who have specialized knowledge. In Andi's case in particular, every time Bandanna listened to her or gave her a pass for her insubordination, there was no indication that Andi won the day by being particularly likable or particularly good at manipulating Bandanna. Bandanna only showed her any consideration because she valued the skills and knowledge Andi brought to the crew, and maybe partly out of sentiment. If you're the chief engineer, and you say your ship needs to be repaired in port before moving on, then you're going to have to be pretty darn unlikable before your crew will flat out ignore you out of spite. Andi wasn't quite that bad at the time.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Xyril View Post
    Bandanna only showed her any consideration because she valued the skills and knowledge Andi brought to the crew, and maybe partly out of sentiment. If you're the chief engineer, and you say your ship needs to be repaired in port before moving on, then you're going to have to be pretty darn unlikable before your crew will flat out ignore you out of spite. Andi wasn't quite that bad at the time.
    Fair enough.