New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Andi wrong?

1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Is Andi wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I mean, if she'd just said "you let gnomes on the ship!" that would be even worse, but everything she says about them is insulting. They're a swarm, like insects. Their size is worth bringing up when she's complaining about them. They're (supposedly) grubby when Bandana sends them to fix the ship, before they've done any work, which only makes sense if "grubby" is an inherent quality of gnomes. If she was objecting to--I can't actually tell what you're suggesting she's saying; her lines are so entirely racist that if I rephrase them to something nonracist I get either silence or something like "I still hate you, Bandana-Who-I-Will-Not-Call-Captain." She minds having to work with like-insects, inherently-dirty, smaller-than-they-should-be...gnomes. That's literally all that she said about them.

"Gnome" on its own may be a neutral descriptor, but I would advise not saying "I was stuck here with a dozen brunettes!" unless you want the person you're addressing to conclude you have something against brown hair.
    I don't think that she necessarily meant that the gnomes were "inherently-dirty", for all the we know these particular gnomes were dirty.
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    I don't think that she necessarily meant that the gnomes were "inherently-dirty", for all the we know these particular gnomes were dirty.
    Do people casually refer to workers as "dirty garbage collectors" or "dirty plumbers" or "dirty mechanics"?
    "Those who accept their fate find happiness; those who defy it, glory." ~Princess Tutu

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

That strikes me as a great deal like the original premise of this thread: Wait, Andi's supposed to be wrong? I was assuming everything she said and did was Rich endorsing her views.

It is theoretically possible, by which I mean I cannot disprove it without seeing the specific gnomes in question, that she stuck a complaint that the gnomes showed up to work on the ship unbathed (using a word with certain connotations as well as denotations) in between calling them a swarm and mentioning their size. That would, in light of the no-dirtier-than-the-humans-Rich-depicts gnomes depicted in Gnometown, be sufficiently odd to suggest there should be an explanation. Yet it's treated as a throwaway insult...in the middle of Andi's generally racist rant. And even if you could justify taking out "grubby" as an insult? It would still be a racist rant.

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    It used to be Starboard and Larboard, but it became traditional for ships to have their access gangways on the larboard side; so over a period of time it became known as the port side.
    Of course they tie the larboard side to the wharf. How else will you get the cargo aboard?

For those not ship-geeks, starboard is a mispronunciation of the Norse steorbord, or steering board. Larboard is lader-board (I don't have umlauts or those o's with a line through them on this computer, so spellings are approximate).

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Of course they tie the larboard side to the wharf. How else will you get the cargo aboard?

For those not ship-geeks, starboard is a mispronunciation of the Norse steorbord, or steering board. Larboard is lader-board (I don't have umlauts or those o's with a line through them on this computer, so spellings are approximate).
    I hope this does not come off as disrespectful in any way, shape or form for those that are in the know, but for the life of me, I thought the Starboard-Larboard thing was, on the face of it, a joke. I'm currently punching my brain for thinking that.

I love picking up little tidbits like these. I'm definitely spending more time on these boards (and hopefully contribute) from here on out. Been just lurky for the longest time... like a decade, since I learned about this site and the webcomic.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

THANK YOU! So it's Norse!

A ridiculous number of English words relating to seafaring are derived from Dutch. Like "skipper". I really wasn't sure.

And I have the feeling the a statement like "Those Humans know when they've got you by the short hairs" is not quite on the same lines as "I've been stuck with a pack of grubby little Humans".

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

The context is that Andi is complaining and calls them "a swarm of grubby little gnomes."

I mean, if she'd just said "you let gnomes on the ship!" that would be even worse, but everything she says about them is insulting. They're a swarm, like insects. Their size is worth bringing up when she's complaining about them. They're (supposedly) grubby when Bandana sends them to fix the ship, before they've done any work, which only makes sense if "grubby" is an inherent quality of gnomes. If she was objecting to--I can't actually tell what you're suggesting she's saying; her lines are so entirely racist that if I rephrase them to something nonracist I get either silence or something like "I still hate you, Bandana-Who-I-Will-Not-Call-Captain." She minds having to work with like-insects, inherently-dirty, smaller-than-they-should-be...gnomes. That's literally all that she said about them.

"Gnome" on its own may be a neutral descriptor, but I would advise not saying "I was stuck here with a dozen brunettes!" unless you want the person you're addressing to conclude you have something against brown hair.
    The gnomes are grubby because they spent the whole day fixing the ship. Andi's grubby herself, just look at her. She also was when she made quick repairs while in the middle of the storm.
    Bandana comes back saying she had XP, loots, exercise and waffles. While Andi was having a ****ty day. She was with grubby gnomes who made her think at a swarm the way they worked. The fact that they're little and probably a lot (the maximum they could be in order to work very very very fast) and probably working/acting/moving very fast. Hence the comparison.

I know I may say this kind of things either in a positive, neutral or negative way. Again, I acknowledge it's not politically correct. But you have some language flaws without being racist.

I'm not asking myself if Andi's racist here. I'm asking myself if The Giant wants to depict Andi as despicable. I don't have the feeling we were hinted that like for Tarquin. Just that she's fine enough with most people (crew, Roy, even Belkar) but not with Bandana. Maybe not with the gnomes who maybe didn't immediately listen to her about what she consider being her baby.

On another note, I didn't notice that Andi seemed fine enough about being a sky taxi in #990.

Quote Originally Posted by yldenfrei View Post
    Do people casually refer to workers as "dirty garbage collectors" or "dirty plumbers" or "dirty mechanics"?
    Well, if they have to spend some time with them, they might be disturbed enough to complain about it.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

8. - Top - End - #68

"Politically correct" is a phrase that means "I wish to disparage the idea that there's anything wrong with saying that," and that's all. But this is goofy. If you want to deny that Andi's racist rant was racist, have fun with that.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

While it isn't usually explicitly said to their faces, plumbers, garbage collectors and other such vocations tend to have a reputation for poor personal hygiene and generally being unpleasant house guests. Some of that is warranted (you don't stay clean working with toilets or garbage, period) and some of it is a stereotype, but the reputation is there.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #70

You know, this talk of racism makes me wonder if part of that massively inflated repair bill was because of Andi's abrasiveness.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

11. - Top - End - #71

Lizardfolk

"Politically correct" is a phrase that means "I wish to disparage the idea that there's anything wrong with saying that," and that's all. But this is goofy. If you want to deny that Andi's racist rant was racist, have fun with that.
    Id argue 'racist epiphet' over 'racist rant'. She didn't continue along that line of insult, after all. Having been at the receiving end of some rants, I'd consider Andi casually averse over actively hateful.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    While it isn't usually explicitly said to their faces, plumbers, garbage collectors and other such vocations tend to have a reputation for poor personal hygiene and generally being unpleasant house guests. Some of that is warranted (you don't stay clean working with toilets or garbage, period) and some of it is a stereotype, but the reputation is there.
    No, I mean really use the term "dirty mechanic" et al. Because not only is it quite redundant (as you pointed out, part of the vocation), it also comes off as being stuck up.

So to return, what does Andi mean by pointing out the obvious grubbiness of the gnome mechanics (in a very Pot-Kettle-Black moment no less), other than to paint them in a bad light?

EDIT: Missed Quild's post. While I agree that this may be a minor quibble and that the Giant may have no overt intention of making Andi racist, the fact remains that it was a loaded choice of phrasing, in a way that separates her from the gnomes and attaching a descriptor to them alone when it just as easily refers to her as well. And really? A mechanic complaining that other mechanics are dirty (while being obviously dirty herself)?
    To put it another way: I'm surprised Andi did not include herself in the grubbiness description to score Misery points and make her all the more the martyr.
    Last edited by yldenfrei; 2017-02-24 at 12:28 PM.
    "Those who accept their fate find happiness; those who defy it, glory." ~Princess Tutu

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No, I mean really use the term "dirty mechanic" et al. Because not only is it quite redundant (as you pointed out, part of the vocation), it also comes off as being stuck up.

So to return, what does Andi mean by pointing out the obvious grubbiness of the gnome mechanics (in a very Pot-Kettle-Black moment nonetheless), other than to paint them in a bad light?

EDIT: Missed Quild's post. While I agree that this may be a minor quibble and that the Giant may have no overt intention of making Andi racist, the fact remains that it was a loaded choice of phrasing, in a way that separates her from the gnomes and attaching a descriptor to them alone when it just as easily refers to her as well. And really? A mechanic complaining that other mechanics are dirty (while being obviously dirty herself)?
    To put it another way: I'm surprised Andi did not include herself in the grubbiness description to score Misery points and make her all the more the martyr.
    It is entirely possible that she considers the gnomes unclean in a way that is not standard for airship mechanics. maybe they smell like sulfur?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

To answer the question in the title of this thread: Yes. Exceptionally so.

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Id argue 'racist epiphet' over 'racist rant'. She didn't continue along that line of insult, after all. Having been at the receiving end of some rants, I'd consider Andi casually averse over actively hateful.
    Yeah, one to two sentences falls far short of a rant.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

15. - Top - End - #75

"Epithet" would be one insult; as I've said, I count four (swarm, grubby, their size is somehow relevant, their race is somehow relevant). Might be too short for a rant but it's definitely too long for a single epithet.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

"Epithet" would be one insult; as I've said, I count four (swarm, grubby, their size is somehow relevant, their race is somehow relevant). Might be too short for a rant but it's definitely too long for a single epithet.
    How about "rantlet"?
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    How about "rantlet"?
    I'm going to use this now.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

18. - Top - End - #78
    Banned

I don't think I have ever parsed someone calling someone a "dirty Jew" or a "greedy Jew" as meaning "A specific individual possesses a certain negative attribute, and I'm going to identify him as the guy who happens to belong to a certain group so you know who I'm talking about, and not because I'm trying to make any implications about that group and whether or not they possess that certain negative attribute in general.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure, and people who use racial slurs in real life don't mean "the good ones," you know, just the rest. (Or, what Xyril said, more or less.)

20. - Top - End - #80

I see this term as the line between saying something incorrect (in context, racist) and thinking it/being it.

Andi maybe said a racist comment, it doesn't mean she has something against gnomes in general or other races. More a poor choice of words. I might be wrong on all points, that's still a strong possibility. Even if The Giant wrote it poorly (in your opinion)
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    I see this term as the line between saying something incorrect (in context, racist) and thinking it/being it.

Andi maybe said a racist comment, it doesn't mean she has something against gnomes in general or other races. More a poor choice of words. I might be wrong on all points, that's still a strong possibility. Even if The Giant wrote it poorly (in your opinion)
    Don't forget likening half-elves to dogs. Which more importantly was a remark that feeds into her (shown by that to be hypocritical) irrational age complex.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post

Personally, I feel her comment was more in the line of 'I'm frustrated and using coarse language to exaggerate my discomfort" rather than "I hate gnomes and am terribly racist".

23. - Top - End - #83

In my opinion? Ho ho, hold on. Where did I say Rich wrote it poorly?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    You know, this talk of racism makes me wonder if part of that massively inflated repair bill was because of Andi's abrasiveness.
    Ya think? Haley's persuasion and bluff skills being what they are, it was still a softball for her once the gnomes had been dealing with Andi all morning.

Plus, you can't dislike gnomes in this strip:
    1. The cute gal not only sold Belkar that ring, she invited him to lunch.
    2. They make great waffles.
    3. Cool lightning weapon that (oops, anyone could make this mistake) supercharged Golem Crystal.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, it's pretty weird to call the only race in the setting capable of magically cleaning themselves with a racial spell-like ability 'grubby'.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Honestly, it's pretty weird to call the only race in the setting capable of magically cleaning themselves with a racial spell-like ability 'grubby'.
    The spell-like ability can be used to achieve the opposite of clean just as easily. You are just assuming. ;)

27. - Top - End - #87

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    How about "rantlet"?
    Okay epithet was a poor word choice. Outburst(s) would've been better. But rantlet wins so I'll be using that from now on :)

28. - Top - End - #88

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    The spell-like ability can be used to achieve the opposite of clean just as easily. You are just assuming. ;)
    This led to a weird train of thought; are you saying the gnomes want to be dirty? Do they like being dirty? So much so they'll use 1/day cantrips to increase their dirt levels? Do - do you want the gnomes dirtier?
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2017-02-25 at 12:32 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89

EvilClericGuy

She picked right, so starboard. Easy to remember: Port is the place you Left.

I belatedly note the helmsman knew he had to dumb down port or starboard to left or right for Andi to understand. You'd think she's pick up the basic lingo in fifteen years.
    The way I teach it in Boy Scouts is:

Port has four letters. Left has four letters. So port=left.
    Starboard does not have four letters. Right does not have four letters. Starboard=right.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Banned

I wonder if there are people who started spending enough time on boats that they don't need to think of port and starboard in terms of left and right. Or if, in fact, they need to remind themselves that right is starboard if they were a boat.
    Last edited by Xyril; 2017-02-27 at 01:49 AM.