New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default 4e Homebrew Base Classes: Astral Construct/Eidolon Summoner

I'may currently working on a couple of homebrew base classes for my 4e campaign. For the most part, I am trying to find similar powers/features from different classes and cobble them together. For instance, I have a player that likes melee strikers and enjoyed playing a soulknife in 3.5. We rescinded an avenger as psionic and swapped the censure for a fey warlock's teleport on marked enemy death feature. I'Lloyd toss in the sword mage weapon. Summoning with a few tweakseconds to duplicate that.

For an Astral Construct/Eidolon summoner, I want to take an unorthodox approach. I am looking at making the summon act as a sentinel druid's animal companion but the summoner can choose from a few different types that then change the way the play. The idea is for the class to act as a true 5th man that can fit into multiple rolls but not truly excellent at any single one unless they focus on it. As for summon templates, for the first few levels, I though I would limit them to 2 choices, a quasi melee Striker and a quasi defender. Around level 6, they would expand into controller and leader access. As for evolutions, I am looking at a power point style system. They can use the points to add Evolutions from a table that would grow as they level and would reset as power points do. I think encounters and dailies could be more powerful Evolutions that only last a short period.

So as not to penalize the player if they lose their summon, they would have a ranged basic and the encounter/dailies would buff this ranged basic if they use their powers without a summoned companion.

I'm looking for some guidance/suggestions. In searching the forums and Google both, i'm not finding anything like this.

I realize the class is not going to be easy to play or predict. I think that is part of the charm of these style of summoner in 3.5. I'mean interested to see what people think. I'mean open to constructive criticism of course.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: 4e Homebrew Base Classes: Astral Construct/Eidolon Summoner

I'd really look to refluff one of the Summoning classes and focus on Summoning, through Daily powers and Paragon Path choice. Maybe as a Hybrid of two of them such as a Wizard|Sentinel.

Either Primal Summoner or Bonded Summoner work well for a Summoner across the board. Hordemaster, while not really better for Summoning, could be hilarious with the level 24 death feature. One of your Summon spells shows up as the new you and Summons your dead body instead of it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The improving features of summons would need to come mostly from class features rather than powers, because any class could poach the best power. You'd also need to watch whether psionic classes would benefit more than AEDUs would multiclassing in to Summoner, due to having lots of power points already.

What attack stat(s) do you see this class as having? What skills? What sorts of utility powers?

If the Summoner can choose different abilities for their creation in each battle, the abilities should generally be a bit weaker than other classes get at the same level. Flexibility is a strong benefit itself.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I guess my first question would be, are you trying to base this off the Pathfinder class? Because that's what it sounds like.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Eidolon summoner:

There is an implicit power budget in 4e. The more power your character possesses, the less the Eidolon can, and vice versa.

---

Suggestion: I would tie evolutions for the Eidolon to powers.

So a power would have an Evolution: clause. Having the power grants the Evolution modification to the Eidolon. Evolution(Keyword) would only work if you have the Keyword on your Eidolon.

Alternatively, we can make Evolutions be utility powers for the most part.

---

I'd simplify the recreation of the Eidolon; base it off the Sentinal Druid. You spend an action of some kind and one of your healing surges to recover your Eidolon.

We could even make an "Eidolon" with 0 HP become "Spectral"; a transparent ghost that does not occupy space.

---

Here might be a level 1 at-will:

Fire Bolt
    Summoner Spell + Implement, At-Will 1
    Standard Action
    Ranged
    Range: 5 squares
    Target: One creature
    Attack: Int vs Reflex
    Hit: 1d6 fire damage (increasing to 2d6 at level 21)
    Special: Your Eidolon can make a basic attack
    Evolution: Your Eidolon's basic attack damage is increased by 1d4 and deals fire damage.

This is a very striker-Eidolon power.

Ice Sphere
    Summoner Spell + At-Will 1
    Standard Action
    Ranged Area
    Range: Burst 1 within 5
    Attack: Creatures in any square except the center of the burst
    Hit: 5 cold damage and immobilized and marked by the Eidolon.
    Effect: The edge of the burst blocks line of sight, and the squares are difficult terrain, until end of next turn.
    Evolution: Your Eidolon's basic attack marks foes hit until end of next turn. If they make an attack that does not include the Eidolon, as an Immediate Reaction the Eidolon can move its speed and make a basic attack on the target.

This is a defender-Eidolon power.

---

Framework wise, build a per-encounter damage budget for the summoner+eidolon and ensure it isn't exceeded, assuming good feat choices.

---

An easier approach would be to reskin the Shaman.