New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Supporting the Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Many true Nerd has a fairly successful patreon where all you get is effectively a bit of author commentary once a month. Nothing more - not even advanced versions of the videos MATN produces. The Giant could easily just post a bit of commentary of whatever is on his mind once per month in the Patreon section and call it good enough. I'd probably sign up for no perks whatsoever - just have Patreon send him a buck per posted page.

But on the other paw, this might not be all that helpful to him - chances are, this would just cannibalise other income streams. If I'd paid $274 for BRitF, I'd find it hard to justify buying the book.

GW
    But he already sold it to you for $274, in this scenario, and thus would have earned more than what he charges for it now.

The advantage for him would be that he had a steady income - he gets a somewhat steady sum whenever he makes a new strip. Whereas now, sales happen whenever new books or other products come out, and the income is dependant on how well it sells.

Personally, I'd also like a paper version regardless, so I might end up massively overpaying.
    But supporting good art has a price, I suppose, and luckily I am not starving at the moment
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    Has Rich Burlew ever said he would be unhappy with the proposal I made?

I presume nothing except these:
    - Rich Burlew wants to finish the OotS in the current format (free online webcomic)
    - Rich Burew wants to earn money (among others, to pay rent and health insurance)

I don't think these assumptions are wrong, and my suggestion doesn't contradict either one.
    I don't get where you get the information that Rich Burlew wouldn't like my suggestion. So, please tell me if he said that. If he doesn't like it, fine by me, it's just a suggestion. It's not as if I had to pay my rent with creating OotS.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Yes, I don't have a tip jar or a donation button. I prefer for my income to come through the sale of items when possible, due to the fact that I cannot promise a given schedule and there will always be someone who says that I should feel obligated to do so because they spent money on me. Yes, I know that doesn't hold logical water and yes, I understand that you, personally, don't feel that way. But there are always people who do when push comes to shove. There are people who have told that the only reason they gave money to the Kickstarter was because they thought it would increase the number of comics per week, even though I never said or implied that such was even possible much less promised.
    You're assuming more than you have information on. Certainly Rich wants to finish the strip, which we know because that's what he's doing, but there's no real evidence that he "wants to earn money," at least the way your proposing it. Maybe Rich is independently wealthy and giving him money is just an inconvenience to him? Maybe he's completely destitute but he likes it that way? I don't know. You don't know. All we know is what he said, which is that any benefits of having a tip jar or donate button (which smells a lot like the categories your Patreon proposal would fall into) does not outweigh the costs in Rich's mind. That's his choice, so let's leave it at that rather than trying to read his mind about how he could conceivably feel about your proposal.

Further, it's safe to assume that, if he wanted a Patreon, he would set up a Patreon.

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Sardonic View Post
    You're assuming more than you have information on. Certainly Rich wants to finish the strip, which we know because that's what he's doing, but there's no real evidence that he "wants to earn money," at least the way your proposing it. Maybe Rich is independently wealthy and giving him money is just an inconvenience to him? Maybe he's completely destitute but he likes it that way? I don't know. You don't know. All we know is what he said, which is that any benefits of having a tip jar or donate button (which smells a lot like the categories your Patreon proposal would fall into) does not outweigh the costs in Rich's mind. That's his choice, so let's leave it at that rather than trying to read his mind about how he could conceivably feel about your proposal.

Further, it's safe to assume that, if he wanted a Patreon, he would set up a Patreon.
    Did he not say he needed to earn money (with the comic) to pay his rent and health insurance?
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    Did he not say he needed to earn money (with the comic) to pay his rent and health insurance?
    You're absolutely right. And he has set up ways to earn money. Your choices are to either go through those ways to give him money, or to not give him money. It may be inconvenient, it may be annoying, and it may be something you don't want to do. But you gotta choose one, or choose none.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're absolutely right. And he has set up ways to earn money. Your choices are to either go through those ways to give him money, or to not give him money. It may be inconvenient, it may be annoying, and it may be something you don't want to do. But you gotta choose one, or choose none.
    Also I can make a suggestion in the case he hasn't heard of it (unlikely) or found it not convincing, in which case my voice may have some meaning to make him reconsider.
    At any rate, he has the choice of doing it or not.

As Grey Wolf put it so nicely: rule number one in business is making it easy for the customer to spend money. And all Giant quotes I know off lead me to believe that he thinks of comic production as a "business".

There may be other reasons he can't do Patreon (maybe they have fees which make the calculation not pay off, maybe he can't do because of legal reasons).
    It could be personal dislike of such a system - I would then still suggest reconsidering his feelings, if money is still an issue. Just a thought, nothing more. If he doesn't, I can still very much enjoy the free comic.

And I will buy the next book as well. If this is how he wants to run business, so shall it be.
    Last edited by Mightymosy; 2017-02-23 at 01:02 PM.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club

6. - Top - End - #36
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

I believe this is still the latest comment from The Giant about Patreon:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Maybe at some future point, when all of my Kickstarter obligations are completed, I will consider Patreon.
    Of course, he also goes on to say maybe at some point he'll put out digital products, and here we are with PDFs from Gumroad, so who knows when that "future point" will be. Kickstarter obligations aren't complete yet, though.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2017-02-23 at 01:09 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: I'm going to close this now. Support is great and pointing out the various OotS products and where they are available is helpful, but we really don't need more commentary, speculation, and opinion on Rich's business model or finances. He's aware of the models and mechanisms that exist, weighed them according to his own criteria, and chose how he wants to proceed.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex