New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default The Empire of Prismatic Scales

Twinned Vines sits peacefully upon its river, the Forest Without a Name everpresent in the background. It is a quiet place, though one with an unusually high rate of 'mysterious visitors' - to the point where the village teahouse is called 'The Shadowy Corner', although in truth the interior is light, airy and very welcoming. The villagers know that the Forest is home to many odd relics and ruins, a place where the Kami flock strong, and as such, a place where 'mysterious visitors' are wont to travel. They have developed therefore a very welcoming, but unintrusive lifestyle. You can sit for a chat about trades or philosophy with a resident, and unless you offer a story, they will not ask for one. You all have come here for various reasons, and for varied lengths of time. But soon the threads of fate will weave themselves around your disparate parts.

You have found yourself, for reasons that would make a nice part of your introductory posts, in the village of Twinned Vines, on the banks of the river, on the edge of the Forest With No Name. It is a quiet time in the village, as far as you know there are only a handful of guests other than yourself. What have you come here for, and how would you be occupying your time here?

There are several locations of note in the village you may find yourselves at -

The Shadowed Corner The Teahouse of the village, the shadowed corner is owned and run by Silver Wing, an older elven woman, with (appropriately enough) long, silver hair and a kind smile. She runs the teahouse efficiently and generously, with many small tables and a very impressive range of tea and sustenance.

The Ancestral Shrine the shrine stands at the edge of the forest, perhaps five minutes stroll from the edge of town, and is a humble but well-maintained building. It is tended by a human boy the villagers simply call 'Smile'. The story of how he came to be there isn't shared much by the villagers, and if asked, they look sad and suggest that the visitor not mention it in front of Smile, since it would upset him.

The Imperial Bureau A relaxed elven man named Goun Qiang runs the center of imperial business in this village, which effectively runs as a glorified post office, the tower of messanger hawks the tallest structure around. Qiang is dutiful, and manages to get the village to pay the correct taxes, but by virtue of living there, is apt to be generous and fair when it comes to the assessment - he knows that if the village has had a tough year, taxes ought to drop. He also stands as a bit of a local boffin on Philosophy, being a Golden Path practitioner himself (enough to be seen with a Detect Philosophy ability). The Imperial Bureau also offers limited accommodation to other members of the bureaucracy or nobility.

Tiē Fāng's Forge A forge on the edge of town, Tiē Fāng supplies the town with metal tools and carpentry services. He is also an accomplished fighter, by the rumors in town, and offers training for many people in how to use weaponry and the martial arts.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Empire of Prismatic Scales

In a world with as many myths that were true as not, it was a hard thing to be a truly strange sight. Creatures with wings, people with tails, strange weapons and even a few monstrously large animals might be rare sights but in the end were they truly strange in this world? Yet, on this happy, sunny day, walking through the town with a confident and tall gait, was something that might yet be able to lay claim to that title.

Tall, taller then almost any man, with the red skin and horns of an Ogre and the tail of a boar walked a creature straight through the center of town. On his back a stone club with metal chains that clicked lightly with each step. And not a stich of clothing save a loincloth, a headband and furry arm and leg bands. Beside him strode a tiger as white as freshly fallen snow save for ink black strikes and what appeared to be some basic armor. The creature eyed any food displayed openly with obvious hunger but seemed uninterested in the people around them.

Then again, perhaps it was not a strange sight. Perhaps the people watched in passing only to notice a new arrival to the town. Perhaps the tiger caused no eyes to bat and no heads to turn and perhaps the red man was looked upon with the same sort of suspicion, that is none, that any person would receive. Truth be told, Ibarak had long since stopped caring.

He walked through the town with affable smile and eyes open to the idyllic scenery around him. Truly it was astounding. He had noticed on the path here, had admired it from afar, but there was something about this village that really spoke to the man. And it wasn't just the forest at the edge of town, which he would definitely have to visit before long. He had something else to see to first. The most important thing a man like him could do upon entering a village like this, with such a heavy burden on his shoulders and naught but vague words to guide him.

Ibarak sought out the teahouse, letting his friends nose guide him through the streets unerringly. Thankfully Isamu knew well Ibarak's priorities. The creature, blessedly intelligent, knew of their true mission and knew just as well that his red friend would not get started until well after he had enjoyed a relaxing drink and smoke. They had been traveling for weeks to get here after all and even as strong as he was Ibarak would enjoy a bit of relaxing.

Looking back it was hard to believe that he had really walked so far. He had never before received such a message before. He had been relaxing after his last task, hunting down a murderer. His pipe had been made ready and he was about to light it. Then, as abruptly as if he had opened his eyes, the sky had turned black and before him stood a spirit of smoke. It whispered and it wailed, speaking in two voices. One like a breeze and other like a hurricane wind.

'Seek out the land with no title in the corner of the world.'

And like that the sky was blue again, as if nothing had ever happened. The only reason Ibarak was certain it had was that his pipe had been lit all on it's own. He popped it into his mouth, considered the message carefully, and made a decision. It had taken him a few days to figure out where the spirit had meant and he still didn't know why he was here, but neither of those things were out of the ordinary. Even the kindest of Kami were... hard to communicate with. They weren't mortals and they did not think like such. No, the truly astounding part of the message was the violent nature of it. To seize his mind like that!

Something was here, something Ibarak needed to be involved in. But what?

Such questions lingered in his mind for the many weeks of travel it took to get here. They could linger a bit longer. Isamu finally turned to face a building. Ibarak did not even pause to study it. Instead he stepped carefully into the teahouse, wary of his horn breaking the wood over his head, and turned to the person he saw attending the room. He gave a polite bow and beside him Isamu did the same. In a voice as deep as thunder but as gentle as a drizzle he asked, "May I come in?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+23)[29] to not cause a panic as the Oni looking guy walks into town? (Not sure if it's necessary. XD Mostly aiming for a calm sort of presence to him with this roll that would hopefully dissuade such if it is.)
    Diplomacy (1d20+23)[39] And a second diplomacy roll for politeness in entering the Shadowed Corner. Because manners.
    Last edited by M. Arillius; 2017-03-17 at 05:19 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

ClericGirl

In days of former glory a Date Warrior on horse back approaching your village would have been cause for celebration and joy. Such a warrior would hail the passage of a member of the Imperial Family and the posibility of a royal visit. The male Date warriors wore beautifully crafted jade armour etched and guilded with traces of gold and studded with emeralds. Even their horses wore ornate plated green armour and tall standard flags carrying the Jade Warrior before a Golden Sun.

Those warriors now served a duty of Penetance for their failure, sealed inside the Tomb Citadel of the former Date Shogun. The females, unofficially lead by the bearer of the former Shoguns sword, the only remnants of the families once proud martial nobility.

Date Yujin was one of those females, first daughter of the former Shogun, and bearer of the Datekazi. She rode swiftly towards the town; her heavy warhorse, Jin, entirely black wore old and battered ceremomial black armour with the new Date standards whipping in the wind on either flank.

Spoiler: new Date Standard
    Show

Like her horse Yujin too was all in black, a heavy winter cloak of dulled reptilian scales hung from her shoulders covering all but her sandled feet and a heavy hood was pulled up over her head. Despite the speed of her riding a simple incantation held the cloak from flapping or trailing.

To a trained eye her stance was ever shifting between two distinct postures of ki channeling; the first to sense the world as a wolf and detect spirits and the second causing her form to blur and eyes to piece the trickery of magic. It was evident she was on the hunt, driven by a purpose and not simply paying visit to this town.

"This is where Go instructed us to travel?"
    The sword of Datekazi was not a blade of mortal creation, even in a Shoguns death his spirit was sealed in the steel of his blade and formed a conciousness that might guide the next Shogun.
    "Do not question my sisters reconissance."
    "Appologies Shogun, I did not mean insult."

The sisters of the Date family had long ago developed a racial ability to send dream like messages; once used to seek out husbands from their confinement within the Date Citadel they now used it to transfer any information they may have gathered on the last daughter of the Imperial Family.

With a clattering of small stones Jin was pulled to a halt and Yujin leapt down from her saddle. She flexed her black gloved hands and adjusted Datekazi's sheath before heading towards the Tea House on foot, she was informed she would meet an ally there.
    Last edited by Jyssika; 2017-03-17 at 10:34 PM.
    Don't mind me; I am just a child that urinates petrol having a wee on this [Insert Country] Flag.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Fire is my gift and my guide. From the moment of my birth the flame has been with me. My mother tells me that this fire within was a gift given to me by my father. I grew up hearing many tales of him. I learned everything I know from his books, but I never had the chance to meet the man. I yearn to know him so that I may better know myself. His blood within me fills me with so much power that unleashing to much can burn my very essence yet I am so grateful for it. It has protected me from the scorching heat and merciless creatures if the desert, given me the power to protect and aid those without the power to do so, and it has guided my step.

With a quick concentration of my will a small long necked reptile made of solidified flames comes into being. It's name is Yiyi, and it has been my only true friend in these trying times. A halfbreed such as myself is a strange and sore sight in these lands. Far to many see only the importance of station and position. I have always been taught to look beyond that and try to see the good in people first. That philosophy is unfortunately quite the minority. Yiyi does not judge. It is simply happy to be.

"Which way should we go Yiyi? Where would your fire burn the brightest?"

"Dat way! Day way!" the fire lizard cried in my head as it yipped happily while taking off at a full sprint despite the dead of night. The blessing of my father's ring keeps me from feeling hunger or thirst able to sustain myself on a couple hours of meditation a day and nothing more. It is indeed a must useful traveling aid. Even after leaving the desert it found use. While traveling edge of the unnamed forest he has not once had to hunt to purely fuel his body. In time his wanderings brought him to a place that made the living chunk of fire great excitement.

"Indeed It would be nice to get some Tea little one. A real bed and a bath would also not be something to scoff out. No you cannot come with. Last time I let you come inside a building it nearly burnt down. Rest now in the spirit realm little one."

Breaking my concentration on the firey beasty, I head into town. Thanks to the grass kasa hiding the odd color to my hair and eyes as well as the rather elven attractiveness to my face and my rather plain monk's robes, the only thing that stands out is my staff. A staff made of dark metal in it's entirety is odd sight indeed, but if you look at the myriad of engravings depicting firey dragons as well as draconic script that unfortunately seems to just be gibberish. Using the staff like a walking stick I head through town quietly humming to myself before coming upon the tea house that Yiyi was so interested in. With a quick check of my purse I head inside hoping to find an attendant that is unoccupied.
    Last edited by Mechagaston; 2017-03-17 at 11:30 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ibarak

This village seems unusually gentle about the presence of a red-skinned monster in their midst. As Ibrarak walked down the street, he was greeted cheerfully by an elderly couple walking in the opposite direction, a few children goggle at the tiger for a while before running off once again, and there appears to be little of the wariness found in other parts of the Empire.

The teahouse is a classically beautiful building, with a sweeping roof, red-painted wooden walls, and a general sense of calmness about it. When Ibarak knocks upon the door, it is answered by a silver-haired woman smiling brightly, who bows politely to the part-oni, then to the tiger beside him.

"Naturally, traveller. It is always a pleasure to have such a guest." the woman replies, raising a hand and showing Ibarak into the teahouse.

Inside is a simple, but well-kept area, small tables set around plants and sculptures, the soft bubbling sound of a brook coming in from somewhere. Most notable of all however is the rich smell of tea. It fills the air with an almost soporific scent, making one's mind lean towards times of peace and kindness.

"Your companion is welcome to follow you, friend, but please ask them to stay quiet. The peace of the air here is important to me. I am Silver Wing, proprietor of the Shadowed Corner, as it happens." she gives a soft laugh. "Now, if you will take that table in the corner, the other guests you are coincidentally running into should be here soon!" she adds, with a wink before swooping away.

Date Yujin

Yujin's approach through the village was quite different. While there was no hint of hostility or animosity, there was certainly a flinch of wariness in the language of the people who step aside to make way for the Date scion. There are small bows, the edge of politeness, but no greetings or warm accolades, with one exception. As the warrior passes the Imperial Bureau, an elven man in the gold-and-blue robes of an imperial bureaucrat steps out to give a deep bow to the woman, and calls out. "Honorable Date! I hold a missive sent for all seekers from the Imperial City! Once your business is concluded, come to my humble bureau and I shall deliver it to you!".

Other than that, few speak to Yujin until she arrives at the teahouse, where Silver Wing greets her warmly. "Ah, the Scion of Date. A pleasure, naturally. If you would join the table with the large red man, your final ally will be here momentarily."

Ao Houjin

The sun is warm, and so is the fire within Houjin's belly as he walks down the street, smiles abounding from the population. There are a few childish stares at the small lizard made entirely of fire, but it doesn't take long before the man has come to the teahouse, and Silver Wing stands there to meet him. She smiles. "And our final friend. Welcome, welcome to the Cornered Shadow! Please come this way!" she says in a businesslike tone, leading Houjin over to the table where an immensely large, red-skinned man with a horn, and an armored woman with cold eyes and a hand resting on her blade sits.

"There. All together now, and ready for whatever the tea leaves saw. To get that part out of the way, I saw the three of you coming in the Tea Leaves. Not sure why, just that you all need to be here. Why don't you introduce yourselves, while I get a pot for you all."

Spoiler: Ibarak Only Please ;)
    Show
    You sense that there is a... very light falsehood in her words, though you sense no danger nor ill-will towards you.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Isamu, having gotten much contentment from playing with the children down the road, seemed very relaxed as he strode toward the table. Ibarak however paused, if only for a moment, to study the woman as she walked away. Then with a quiet 'hrrm' of thought, Ibarak made his way over to the directed table. It seemed likely that he had accidentally stumbled upon the place he needed to go while trying to put it off. How very much like his luck. At least the place smelled pleasant. The aroma's served to pacify Ibarak as he sat down to wait for the eventual 'coincidence' he was about to meet.

By the time the second guest joins him at the table, Ibarak appears to have fallen asleep where he sat. Both of his eyes are closed and he breathes in and out in a slow and rhythmic manner not unlike those taken by slumber. And yet, as the woman with the sword sat down, she would notice that one of his eyes had half opened to study her. Beside him, laying about in true sleep, lay a quietly slumbering Isamu. The red man gives the woman a brief but assessing glance and then closes his eye again.

The third and final arrival was perhaps the most curious. Ibarak wondered how he himself had compared. The creature of fire sitting upon the mans shoulder, not burning his clothes, would naturally draw any other eye but Ibarak found his own gaze settling on the metal staff the man carried. His own weapon, almost entirely hidden now beside the table he sat beside, was not so different... at least in how it was used.

Ibarak watched the one who had introduced herself as Silverwing sit him down and then watched her stroll away. The temptation to try and gleam more from her was strong but he was a guest in this home and he did not think it would be kind to reward politeness with hostility. Instead, he turned back to the other two who had been sat at the table and gave them a more thorough assessment.

Then, finally, he spoke. His voice was deep and heavy, touched by a gravely note that might have sounded like stones grinding against each other. It was an older voice, carrying with it hints of weariness from, if nothing else, use. "I am Ibarak. This is Isamu." The large red man reached over to the equally large white tiger and gently shook the creature, stirring the tiger from his sleep. Isamu was slow to rise but seemed to gather himself quickly when he realized that he and Ibarak were not alone. "I admit I am not used to having company lead to me... Let us start simple, perhaps? What are your names?"
    Last edited by M. Arillius; 2017-03-21 at 06:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

ClericGirl

Yujin lowered the cloak of her hood upon entering the Tea House to reveal the short angled bob of midnight hair, the front tips perfectly cut to chin length yet the back barely reached the nape of her steel skinned neck whilst a short fringe covers her forehead. She wears no makeup and the only forms of jewelry are a leather choker of the same material of her cloak and another band of leather across her forehead beneath her hair.

She sits at the table, a single hand keeping Datekazi from rattling as she does, she does not remove her gloves nor particularly seem to be trying to make herself comfortable. She was frustrated, although it would take an impressive eye for body language to pick up, at being referred to in polite tones. The sound of her family name brought nothing but shame and sorrow to her mind and the worker and service caste using it in upbeat voices practically made her grind her teeth with anger.

Her companions seemed odd enough to be worthy of her attention; she had learnt from a century of military drills and arcane theory that those with monstrous blood were often the least predictable of opponents and she knew the horned one most likely would surprise her at some point. The priest, or atleast she presumed he was, simply confused her and she assumed the oracle Go spoke of had made some form of mistake before internally chastising herself for such callous thoughts.

I am Yujin, Thirty First Shogun of the Date Sisterhood, First seeker of the Imperial Daughter and Executioner of Date Hojo.

She bowl her head a tiny fraction, taking the oppertunity to familiarise herself with their scents whilst her head is lowered in their direction.
    It is a pleasure to meet you both.
    Don't mind me; I am just a child that urinates petrol having a wee on this [Insert Country] Flag.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: The Empire of Prismatic QuScales

Houjin hummed quietly to himself as he walked through the tea house. The day had indeed been a wonderfully bright one. This village, at least for the most part, seemed to be a pleasant and vibrant place. The tea house especially seemed vibrant and welcoming. Upon entering and being guided to a table, the firey young man removed his kasa in order to free the wild mass of fire red hair kept bundled inside of it. A warm smile spread across his face at the mentioning of tea leaves. Indeed the spirits had intended for his arrival. He had not expected the others but it was a most pleasant surprise.

Setting the hat and the staff down Houjin cupped his hands and bowed lowly as the fire lizard did the best it could to copy the movements miming its master," It is a pleasure to meet you both. My name is Ao Houjin son of the Southern Dragon Ao Qin. This is my spirit guide Yiyi. He is still quite young and at the moment only capable of speaking to me or he would greet you both."

The fiery youth then took his seat at the table with the pair before absentmindedly moving his hand to pet Yiyi as he took the time to look over the pair. An overly serious elf maiden and a rather jovial oni. Quite the interesting table.

"So what brings you two to this fine establishment? " Houjin asked with his seemingly ever present warm smile.
    Last edited by Mechagaston; 2017-03-22 at 01:18 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Ibarak watched the pair as they introduced themselves. Once again he felt tempted to try and have a peek at what someone was thinking. Such strange company he bore. The woman, Yujin, had a lot of titles that meant only a little too Ibarak. One did stick out though. Houjin on the other hand claimed to be the son of a Dragon. Given his pointed ears, Ibarak had to wonder exactly what he was referring to. The fiery creature on his shoulder did not make it easier to decipher.

Though he did not pry deeply he did take a moment to look at the other two. What he saw told him most of what he needed. He smiled slightly, showing that on top of everything else he also had fangs. "What brought me to the tea shop, you ask?" He let a hearty laugh escape him as his voice finally broke a softer whisper. Still it was mindful of the owners warning and the laugh would not travel far as he did his best to keep the worst of it contained. "Apparently it was the company. How strange that we would be... 'fated' to be here. I wonder why that is. None of us are typical, I suppose, but that does not seem so strange a thing here in this town."

Indeed... this town seemed awfully calm. Why was that, Ibarak wondered? He almost wished he had spent more time learning about this place coming here now. A great many things were strange here. "A better question might be what brought us to this town. As for me, it was a request from a Kami... at least one, I think. They were very insistent too. I expected to encounter something at the forest and so naturally I came here to the tea shop to relax first. Now I find that this was where I was meant to travel?"

He hrrmed some more, thoughtfully, but his smile never left him. He seemed very relaxed despite the odd situation. "How about the two of you then? I have offered what I know. It is only... polite that you do the same."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Houjin sat quietly as he listened to the large red man speak. He could practically feel the experience in his voice and it was a bit captivating. The fact that this supposed Oni also has a tamed tiger was also quite interesting as this is the first time he was in the presence of such a large feline without it attempting to eat him. When Ibarak began to speak about fate and bring up his own reason for coming to this tea house, Houjin could not help but look down at his hand while running his thumb over his father's signet ring.

"I am on a bit of a self imposed personal quest. Along the way I seek out anyone that needs my help. I generally let little Yiyi choose the path I take. Yiyi always seems to pick out the place I am meant to be." Houjin said with a tender tone while glancing down to the fiery creature. With a wave of his fingers little motes of flame drifted out to the lizard that immediately snapped at them playfully.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

ClericGirl

Yujin rocked her head to the side as the two talked. She lacked perticularly good people skills but was rather good when it came to reading others. When their gaze once again settled on her she, eyes expectantly waiting for her story she grimaced slightly.

"I am a seeker, I am seeking."
    She placed a single finger on the tea table; pointing at a small knot in the wood that resembled a rabbits head.
    "One of my younger sisters Informed me of an oracle's forecast; The Son of Faith, the Daughter of Sorrow and the Brother of Deception will meet in a pool of shadows to drink tea around a rabbits table..."

She looks between the two; her words were matter of fact and spoke as though the prophesy was an iron wrought script that could not be changed only followed.
    "It was believed I was the Daughter, I am keen to find out which of you shall Decieve me."
    Last edited by Jyssika; 2017-03-23 at 01:58 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Not always the wisest thing, to commit yourself fully to prophecy. And that's coming from a fortuneteller" Silver Wing's voice carries over the table melodiously as she sets down a large, ornate teapot of brightly lacquered Silver Dragons on a white background. In truth, this makes the dragons almost impossible to make out entirely, as they blend into the background when the light isn't just right. She also sets down four cups, and starts to pour, the scent of strong tea filling your nostrils before she sits, and takes a sip.

"You are here, ultimately, because fate decided you would be. And the reason for you being here..." Silver Wing tilts her head slightly, looking down at her cup for a moment. "I do not know for sure, only that you need to be in this village today. Were this a tale, the reason for your presence would become evident by someone running through my door right now." She turns to the door, a bemused expression on her features, but nobody appears. "In that case, I suppose we ought to drink our tea and talk. Honorable Daughter of Date," she says, turning to Yujin "Have you by happenstance been to the Swirling Snow Flurry province lately? I hear that the Lord Nudarga there has raised a banner of independence from the Empire?"