New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Default Feiting and full defense

Hi...

Playing a rogue with a low AC, I wanted to feint, but standing still nect to an enemy seems bad. Therefore, I wanted to feint, but allso go full defensive as to improve my AC with +4 dodge (+6 with 5 ranks in tumble). But I'm not sure I can. As I read it, its a standard action and a full round action. Even with improved feint it seems imposible....

So to sum up... Can I feint while going full defensive?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Feiting and full defense

Quote Originally Posted by Max Caysey View Post
    Hi...

Playing a rogue with a low AC, I wanted to feint, but standing still nect to an enemy seems bad. Therefore, I wanted to feint, but allso go full defensive as to improve my AC with +4 dodge (+6 with 5 ranks in tumble). But I'm not sure I can. As I read it, its a standard action and a full round action. Even with improved feint it seems imposible....

So to sum up... Can I feint while going full defensive?
    Yes, but you'd need to investment a decent amount of levels and a feat into doing so. Beguiler 6 grants the ability to Feint as a swift action if you have Improved Feint, which would allow for this.

At that point, I have to wonder, though: what's the point? Feinting only helps you make melee attacks, so turtling up after Feinting makes the Feint pointless.
    Last edited by Necroticplague; 2017-02-26 at 09:02 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Um... Total Defense is a Standard action. You absolutely can Improved Feint and Total Defense in the same round.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    At that point, I have to wonder, though: what's the point? Feinting only helps you make melee attacks, so turtling up after Feinting makes the Feint pointless.
    You can feint in one round and then make the attack the next round. That's how it's normally done if you don't have any feats to improve feinting.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2017-02-26 at 09:53 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Um... Total Defense is a Standard action. You absolutely can Improved Feint and Total Defense in the same round.

EDIT:

You can feint in one round and then make the attack the next round. That's how it's normally done if you don't have any feats to improve feinting.
    Sweet... I dont know how I could have overlooked this! But this is awesome! Or, as awesome as feint goes!

Thanks for comments!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.