New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Building a better Swashbuckler

Sounds like a lot of people say the Swashbuckler class from Complete Warrior is okay at best. Fluff-wise I love the class, but would tend to agree their later abilities are pretty worthless. I recently came across Skirmish variant called Riposte, and I immediately thought that it makes for a much better Swashbuckler ability. So without changing too much, how would a Swashbuckler fair with these abilities?

I don't love the critical hit abilities they get later, or slippery mind, but I didn't have any ideas on changing them.

Hit die
    d10

BAB
    High

Fort/Ref/Will
    High/Low/Low

Skill points (4 + Int): Balance (DEX), Bluff (CHA), Climb (STR), Craft (INT), Diplomacy (CHA), Escape Artist (DEX), Jump (STR), Profession (WIS), Sense Motive (WIS), Swim (STR), Tumble (DEX), Use Rope (DEX)
    Level Special
    1st Riposte +1d6
    2nd Grace +1, uncanny dodge
    3rd Insightful strike, riposte +1d6 / +1 AC
    4th Parry
    5th Riposte +2d6 / +1 AC
    6th Counter
    7th Acrobatic charge, riposte +2d6 / +2 AC
    8th Improved flanking
    9th Riposte +3d6 / +2 AC
    10th
    11th Grace +2, lucky, riposte +3d6 / +3 AC
    12th
    13th Acrobatic skill mastery, riposte +4d6 / +3 AC
    14th Weakening critical
    15th Riposte +4d6 / +4 AC
    16th
    17th Riposte +5d6 / +4 AC, slippery mind
    18th
    19th Riposte +5d6 / +5 AC, wounding critical
    20th Grace +3

Weapon Finesse (Ex): A swashbuckler gains Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat at 1st level even if she does not qualify for the feat.

Riposte (ex): Swashbuckler's easily find, and take advantage of, the openings their foes provide in combat when making their own attacks. Any time the swashbuckler attacks a foe that has made a melee or ranged weapon attack against them within the past round (whether or not the attack hit you), their attack deals an extra 1d6 points of damage. This extra damage increases by 1d6 for every four levels gained above 1st (2d6 at 5th, 3d6 at 9th, 4d6 at 13th, and 5d6 at 17th).
    This extra damage applies only against living creatures that have a discernable anatomy. Undead, constructs, oozes, plants, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to extra damage from critical hits are not vulnerable to this additional damage. The scout must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. She can apply this extra damage to ranged attacks, but only if the target is within 30 feet.
    At 3rd level, the swashbuckler gains a +1 competence bonus to Armor Class against any creature to which she has dealt riposte damage, as described above. This bonus lasts until the start of her next turn. If she deals riposte damage to more than one creature in a round, she gains this bonus against all of them; it is not limited to a single foe. This bonus improves by 1 for every four levels gained above 3rd (+2 at 7th, +3 at 11th, +4 at 15th, and +5 at 19th level).
    The swashbuckler loses this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Grace (Ex): A swashbuckler gains a +1 competence bonus on Reflex saves at 2nd level. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and to +3 at 20th level. A swashbuckler loses this bonus when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Insightful Strike (Ex): At 3rd level, a swashbuckler becomes able to place her finesse attacks where they deal greater damage. She applies her Intelligence bonus (if any) as a bonus on damage rolls (in addition to any Strength bonus she may have) with any light weapon, as well as any other weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse, such as a rapier, whip, or spiked chain. Targets immune to sneak attacks or critical hits are immune to the swashbuckler's insightful strike. A swashbuckler cannot use this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Parry (Ex): At 4th level a swashbuckler can attempt to parry an attack against them. Against the first melee attack each round the swashbuckler makes a parry check (d20 + Base attack + Dex modifer), the result becomes their AC against that first attack. A swashbuckler can only attempt a parry when they are wielding a finessed weapon.

Counter (Ex): At 6th level, when a swashbuckler successfully parries a melee attack they get an attack of opportunity against that foe.

Acrobatic Charge (Ex): A swashbuckler of 7th level or higher can charge in situations where others cannot. She may charge over difficult terrain that normally slows movement or allies blocking her path. This ability enables her to run down steep stairs, leap down from a balcony, or to tumble over tables to get to her target. Depending on the circumstance, she may still need to make appropriate checks (Jump or Tumble checks, in particular) to successfully move over the terrain.

Improved Flanking (Ex): A swashbuckler of 8th level or higher who is flanking an opponent gains a +4 bonus on attacks instead of a +2 bonus on attacks. (Other characters flanking with the swashbuckler don't gain this increased bonus.)

Lucky (Ex): Many swashbucklers live by the credo "Better lucky than good." Once per day, a swashbuckler of 11th level or higher may re-roll any failed attack roll, skill check, ability check, or saving throw. The character must take the result of the re-roll, even if it's worse than the original roll.

Acrobatic Skill Mastery (Ex): At 13th level, a swashbuckler becomes so certain in the use of her acrobatic skills that she can use them reliably even under adverse conditions. When making a Jump or Tumble check, a swashbuckler may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so.

Weakening Critical (Ex): A swashbuckler of 14th level or higher who scores a critical hit against a creature also deals 2 points of Strength damage to the creature. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to this effect.

Slippery Mind (Ex): When a swashbuckler reaches 17th level, her mind becomes more difficult to control. If the swashbuckler fails her save against an enchantment spell or effect, she can attempt the save again 1 round later at the same DC (assuming she is still alive). She gets only this one extra chance to succeed at a certain saving throw.

Wounding Critical (Ex): A swashbuckler of 19th level or higher who scores a critical hit against a creature also deals 2 points of Constitution damage to the creature. (This damage is in addition to the Strength damage dealt by the swashbuckler's weakening critical class feature.) Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to this effect.
    Last edited by tedcahill2; 2017-02-26 at 09:50 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Building a better Swashbuckler

I like the Riposte ability!
    I think it makes Insightful Strike redundant though. I would rather see that ability replaced with something that aids maneuverability so the Swashbuckler can get into a better position to make their attacks.

3. - Top - End - #3

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus Spelaeus View Post
    I think it makes Insightful Strike redundant though. I would rather see that ability replaced with something that aids maneuverability so the Swashbuckler can get into a better position to make their attacks.
    Scouts gain fast movement, I considered giving swashbucklers that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Would you consider giving the Swashbuckler some kind of swift action movement, as with Travel Devotion? I think that would help tremendously.

*edit*
    The damage bonus is great for two-weapon fighting, but two-weapon fighters have to full-attack in order to take advantage of it, and they need some form of special movement (either pounce or hustle/travel devotion) to get in position to use their full-attack.

*edit2*
    I'd also like to note that Parry is a cool feature, but also one that makes the Swashbuckler's dodge bonus to AC largely redundant. The two features are not synergistic with each other in any way.
    You might consider cutting the Swashbuckler's dodge bonus altogether, giving them Parry earlier, and giving them more features like Counter that build upon Parry.
    Last edited by Ursus Spelaeus; 2017-02-26 at 10:29 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

OldWizardGuy

Would you consider giving the Swashbuckler some kind of swift action movement, as with Travel Devotion? I think that would help tremendously.
    Yeah this could work. If it were a scaling ability with one use per day at levels 6, 11, 16, that would sensibly follow base attack progression.

I'd also like to note that Parry is a cool feature, but also one that makes the Swashbuckler's dodge bonus to AC largely redundant. The two features are not synergistic with each other in any way. You might consider cutting the Swashbuckler's dodge bonus altogether, giving them Parry earlier, and giving them more features like Counter that build upon Parry.
    Are you referring to the core swashbuckler's dodge ability? Because I removed that in favor of the dodge bonus granted by riposte, which synergizes well because parry + counter, because you need to deal riposte damage to get the AC bonus.

6. - Top - End - #6

OldWizardGuy

I might agree, the abilities do serve similar purposes.