New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Oriental Adventures Races - PEACH

So, you're doubtlessly wondering what the hell is going on. Well, to put things simply, I've got a huge array (70+, at last counting) of homebrewed races for 5e that I want to get critiqued, plus plans for future races beyond that. For obvious reasons, I can't post each race here individually; I'd drown us all. But, at the same time, I can't hope to get any reviews or comments if I put them all in one thread - wall of text to the nth degree. So, I tried to compromise and instead make a relatively small group of splinter topics that I can post them under in more manageable numbers.

To see these races in their natural habitat, follow the linked google-doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...pO3kThS4/edit#

To see the index of all my 5e homebrew, follow this linked thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...Homebrew-PEACH

This batch of races... well, I can't really explain. I guess one part my fondness for the Kitsune race in Pathfinder, one part my disappointment in the traditional D&D race of the Hengeyokai, and one part a general feeling that D&D's Oriental Adventurers races just tend to be kind of bland, given the gonzo crazy potential in Japanese mythology.

So, whilst the bulk of my attention has been on the actual mythical hengeyokai - Tanuki, Kitsune and their more obscure kinsfolk, I would love to discuss other possible yokai that could be converted for an Oriental Adventures 5e setting. I've dabbled in the obscure Futakuchi-Onna and Todomeki, but what about the Oni or Tengu? Heck, maybe some kinds of Tsukumogami (object spirits) could convert into PC races.
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

World-Building: Malebolge Campaign Setting (5e), Star-Fantasy Campaign Setting (5e)
    Homebrew Material Index: Misty Shadow's Stupid-Huge Homebrew List

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Oriental Adventures Races - PEACH

Hengeyokai. Perhaps the most famous of the yokai types, this is a specific group of obake, or animal spirits, who specialize in shape-shifting. D&D has traditionally portrayed the hengeyokai as a singular race with different subraces based on what forms were assumed - rat, snake, crab, octopus, etc. I honestly felt that this was doing the mythology a disservice, and so I instead went for the idea of hengeyokai as a "collective racial title", analogous to "fey" or "fiend".

You'll notice the lack of Bakeneko stats - I simply haven't been able to figure out which of the various Bakeneko types from mythology to actually use as a basis. Likewise, although I think a racial feat for kitsunes where they can develop both extra tails and new spell-like abilities to go with is perfectly thematic, making it balanced is another story. The first attempt I took at it is included here and... well, you can see for yourself how it ended up looking. :(

Hengeyokai
    The creatures collectively known as hengeyokai are a diverse array of sapient animal yokai, or faerie creatures. United by their common traits of base nature as a magical animal and their ability to assume a humanoid form, the most prominent of the hengeyokai are the kitsunes (foxes), bakeneko (cats), mujinas (badgers), itachi (weasels), kawauso (otters) and tanuki (raccoon dogs).

The hengeyokai races are all portrayed under the assumption that they would exist and operate in a hybrid form. For those wishing to add a more myth-accurate feel to the race, add the following optional racial trait:

Hengeyokai: You belong to a race of magical beasts that can assume partially or wholly humanoid form, as well as revert to your true bestial shape when it suits you. As an action, you can shift into any one of your three forms.
    • In your Human Form, you gain Advantage on all Charisma (Deception) checks made to pass yourself off as human.
    • In your beast form, which is determined by your race, your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but retaining your alignment, personality, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the beast; if you and the beast have the same proficiency and the beast’s bonus is higher than yours, you use the beast’s bonus. You retain your hit dice, hit points, and the ability to speak and cast spells in beast form.
    • Kitsune turn into foxes, tanuki turn into tanuki (use the stats for raccoons), mujinas turn into badgers, bakeneko turn into cats, itachi turn into weasels, and kawauso turn into otters.

Kitsune
    Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Intelligence
    Size: Medium
    Speed: 30 feet
    Vision: Darkvision
    Foxfire: You know the Friends and Dancing Lights cantrips, which you can cast with Charisma. At 3rd level, you can cast Firebolt with this trait as a 1st level spell once per long rest, again using Charisma as your casting ability score.
    Trickster’s Guile: You have Proficiency in Charisma (Deception).

Racial Feat: Fox Magic
    Some kitsune are more magical than others. Through deliberate meditation or just the whims of fate, you are amongst those kitsune whose magical potency is naturally greater.
    Prerequisite: Kitsune
    Effect: You gain the following racial spell-like abilities at the indicated character level. Each spell granted by this feat can be used once per long rest, does not require material components, and uses Charisma as its casting ability score. Whenever you gain a new spell-like ability because of this feat, you also grow an extra tail.
    • At 3rd level, you gain the ability to cast Charm Person as a 1st level spell
    • At 4th level, you gain the ability to cast Disguise Self.
    • At 5th level, you gain the ability to cast Invisibility as a 2nd level spell.
    • At 6th level, you gain the ability to cast Suggestion as a 2nd level spell.
    • At 7th level, you gain the ability to cast Hypnotic Pattern as a 3rd level spell.
    • At 8th level, you gain the ability to cast Major Image as a 3rd level spell.
    • At 9th level, you gain the ability to cast Hallucinatory Terrain as a 4th level spell.
    • At 10th level, you gain the ability to cast Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum as a 4th level spell.

Tanuki
    Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Constitution, +1 Charisma
    Tanuki Trickery: A tanuki can cast the Minor Illusion cantrip with this trait. At third level, it can cast Disguise Self as a 1st level spell once per long rest with this trait. In both cases, Charisma is used as the casting ability score.
    Tanuki Transformations: A tanuki is a shapeshifter who can freely assume the form of an inanimate object and then revert to its normal form. A tanuki can transform into tools or a weapon by using this ability; it cannot move in such a form, but can be used by another character. In weapon form, attacks made with a tanuki count as magical. In tool form, characters may use the tools as if they had proficiency in the requisite skill.
    Flying Leaf: A tanuki has a Fly speed of 15 feet.
    Tail Slap: A tanuki’s Unarmed Strikes have a base damage of d4.

Mujina
    Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Constitution, +1 Strength
    Badger's Toughness: A mujina is Resistant to Poison damage, and has Advantage on Constitution saves vs. Disease.
    Undying Stubbornness: Once per long rest, when a mujina is reduced to zero hit points by an attack, it can instead only be reduced to hitpoints equal to one or its Constitution modifier, whichever is higher.
    Tunneller: A mujina has a Burrow speed of 20 feet.

Kawauso
    Vision: Normal
    River Runner: A kawauso has a Swim speed of 30 feet and can hold its breath for 5 + Con modifier minutes (minimum of 5 minutes).
    Otter Magic: A kawauso knows the Shape Water cantrip. At third level, it can cast Create or Destroy Water (Create Water only) as a 1st level spell once per long rest. At fifth level, it can cast Darkness as a 2nd level spell once per long rest. Spells cast with this trait use Charisma as the casting ability score.

Itachi
    Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +1 Strength
    Speed: 35 feet
    Writhing Dancer: An itachi has Advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks. Additionally, it doubles its Proficiency bonus when making a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to escape a Grapple, and creatures trying to Grapple an itachi suffer Disadvantage on their Strength check.
    Weasel’s Spells: An itachi can cast Dancing Lights, Fire Bolt and Friends. At third level, it can cast Burning Hands as a 1st level spell once per long rest. At fifth level, it can cast Charm Person as a 2nd level spell once per long rest. Spells cast with this trait use Dexterity as their casting ability score.

World-Building: Malebolge Campaign Setting (5e), Star-Fantasy Campaign Setting (5e)

3. - Top - End - #3

What is there to say about the humble Kappa? It's one of Japan's most beloved yokai, and given that heroic specimens do show up, why should it be exempt from the PC role in an Oriental Fantasy setting?

Kappa
    Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Strength, +1 Dexterity
    Size: Small
    Speed: 20 feet
    Amphibious: A kappa can breathe both water and air.
    River Monster: A kappa has a swim speed of 50 feet.
    Crushing Grip: A kappa has Advantage on Strength (Athletics) checks made both to grapple a target and to keep a target grappled.

4. - Top - End - #4

You probably know the Vanara mostly from Pathfinder, but in fact it first appeared in D&D, back in 3.0's Oriental Adventures sourcebook - they stem from a race of magical monkey-folk in Indian Hindu mythology. My effort here is... not especially complicated, so I could really use somebody to talk to about making it more interesting.

Vanara
    Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +1 Wisdom
    Tree-Dweller: A vanara has a Climb speed of 20 feet.
    Ape Agility: A vanara has Advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks.
    Extra Hands: A vanara’s feet can act as secondary hands, thanks to their unique configuration. This allows a vanara to substitute its feet for tasks that would normally require its hands, though this does not allow it to wield more weapons than a human.

Vanara Racial Feat: Prehensile Tail
    Some vanaras are gifted to have not only tails, but tails that are so strong and agile that they can be used as third arms.
    Prerequisite: Vanara
    Effect: The vanara has a tail which functions as a third hand, usable for interacting with objects. This grants the vanara a bonus Free Action each turn. A vanara can wield a weapon with its tail, following the usual rules for dual-wielding, except that a vanara’s tail cannot be used to wield any weapon that requires two hands, nor can it substitute for a hand in wielding a two-handed weapon, and it cannot be used to wield a shield.

5. - Top - End - #5

Unlike the Vanara, the Vishkanya's D20 legacy is restricted to Pathfinder, as far as I'm aware. It also hails from Indian mythology, representing a race of mystical assassins.

Vishkanya
    Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Dexterity
    Serpentine Allure: A vishkanya has Advantage on Charisma (Deception) checks.
    Toxic Blood: A vishkanya has Resistance to Poison damage. Additionally, by sacrificing a hit dice, a viskanya can smear its blood on a weapon as a free action; this blood wears off after the vishkanya makes an attack, but an enemy struck by the blood-smeared weapon takes additional Poison damage equal to 1d8 + the vishkanya’s Charisma modifier (minimum of +1).
    Sweet Poison Kiss: Once per long rest, a vishkanya can cast Charm Person as a 1st level spell on a single creature with a touch. If the Charm effect on this creature is ended, then the creature is Poisoned for a number of rounds equal to the vishkanya’s Charisma modifier (minimum of 1).

6. - Top - End - #6

I don't know why I delayed in posting this here... I guess, a litle embarrassment. The Todomeki or Dodomeki - the precise translation is a little vague - is a form of Domeki ("hundred-eyes demon" - a generic humanoid yokai/oni covered in eyes) created from a (traditionally female) pickpocket, creating a long-armed humanoid whose arms or entire body may be covered in small eyes, all with excellent vision. It's an obscure and little-known yokai, although it did appear in at least 2 Shin Megami Tensei games.

Todomeki
    Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +1 Intelligence
    Many-Eyed Monster: A todomeki's abundance of ever-staring eyes allows it to add double its Proficiency bonus to any Wisdom (Perception) check based on vision. It also has Advantage on saving throws against blindness.
    Unaverted Gaze: A todomeki suffers Disadvantage on saving throws against gaze attacks.
    Touch of the Thief: A todomeki has Proficiency in Dexterity (Sleight of Hand), with its Proficiency bonus being doubled when it makes such checks to pick pockets or engage in similar larceny.
    Arms of the Pickpocket: A todomeki's unnaturally long arms give it a Reach of 10 feet instead of the normal 5 feet.

7. - Top - End - #7

Another relatively obscure yokai, the Futakuchi-Onna, here referred to by the more gender-neutral name of Futakuchi, is a curse-born yokai who takes the form of a cursed human with a ravenous mouth in the back of their skull and prehensile hair that they used to feed it. Filia from Skullgirls is a relatively modern example of this creature.

Futakuchi
    Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Wisdom
    Writhing Mane: A futakuchi's hair is prehensile, functioning as a third arm with a reach of 10 feet rather than her usual 5ft reach. This mane can be used to wield a weapon, but it is only strong enough to carry a one-handed melee weapon with the Light property.
    Skull-Maw: When a futakuchi has a victim grappled, she can choose to automatically inflict 1d4+Charisma bonus magical slashing damage each round, as she feeds her victim into the fangs of her secondary mouth.
    Voracious Eater: A futakuchi needs to eat twice as much per day as a human and can only go 1 + Con modifier days without eating before she begins to starve.

8. - Top - End - #8

So, I know that the Jorogumo usually appears as a villain in Japanese mythology, for rather obvious reasons. But, D&D is a very different beast - plus, there's a long tradition of monstrous PC race options in D&D, even if most "traditionalists" scoff at it. Hell, half-orcs and half-ogres were PC viable way back in 1st edition. So, I decided to take a stab at the "Entangling Bride"... this is, I will admit, probably not too balanced, because there's not really that much to build from in terms of mythology: their lore basically boils down to being seductive, being really good at playing the biwa (Japanese Lute), and stealthily trapping people in webbing. They're also natural illusionists, though I ultimately decided to leave that to a natural racial affinity for the Bard and Enchanter classes.

Actually... I don't think that this race looks so bad. Throw in a racial trait to let them shapeshift into Giant Spiders and they'd work pretty well, especially if I can get the Hengeyokai trait properly balanced.

Jorogumo
    Speed: 30 feet, Climb 30 feet
    Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
    Born Seductress: You have Proficiency in the Persuasion and Performance skills.
    Spider Climb: You have a Climb speed of 30 feet and can climb difficult surfaces, such as upside down on a ceiling, without needing to make an ability check.
    Silk Spinner: You can cast Web as a 2nd level spell with this trait. Once you have used this trait, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.
    Can't Trick A Trickster: You have Advantage on Wisdom saving throws made against illusions.

Optional Racial Trait: Hengeyokai - Spider

9. - Top - End - #9

So, I actually managed to luck into 4chan's 5e general thread when there were some decent anons hanging around, and I got a fair bit of feedback and constructive criticism on my hengeyokai as a whole. I thought I'd post the new version here so it can be compared to the old version and see what you guys all thought worked better.

Hengeyokai
    The creatures collectively known as hengeyokai are a diverse array of sapient animal yokai, or faerie creatures. United by their common traits of base nature as a magical animal and their ability to assume a humanoid form, the most prominent of the hengeyokai are the kitsunes (foxes), bakeneko (cats), mujinas (badgers), itachi (weasels), and tanuki (raccoon dogs). Minor species of hengeyokai include kawauso (otters) and jorogumo (spiders)

The hengeyokai races are all portrayed under the assumption that they would exist and operate in a hybrid form. For those wishing to add a more myth-accurate feel to the race, add the following optional racial trait:

Hengeyokai: You belong to a race of magical beasts that can assume partially or wholly humanoid form, as well as revert to your true bestial shape when it suits you. As an action, you can shift into any one of your three forms.
    • Hybrid Form is your default form. It functions as normal for a character.
    • In your Human Form, you gain Advantage on all Charisma (Deception) checks made to pass yourself off as human. It otherwise functions as Hybrid Form.
    • In your Beast Form, which is determined by your race, your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but retaining your alignment, personality, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the beast; if you and the beast have the same proficiency and the beast’s bonus is higher than yours, you use the beast’s bonus.
    • Changing shapes does not alter your current hit points, maximum hit points, or hit dice.
    • You can remain in any of these three forms as long as you wish, but must consciously choose to change shapes.
    • You can change shapes once at 1st level, twice at 5th level, and thrice at 11th level. You regain all expended uses of this trait when you complete a long rest.
    • If you have exhausted your uses of shapeshifting, you can revert back to hybrid form, but you cannot then change again into beast or human form.
    • Kitsune turn into foxes, tanuki turn into tanuki (use the stats for raccoons), mujinas turn into badgers, bakeneko turn into cats, itachi turn into weasels, kawauso turn into otters, jorogumo turn into spiders.

Kitsune
    Foxfire: You know the Produce Flame and Dancing Light cantrips, which you can cast with Charisma. At 3rd level, you can cast Faerie Fire with this trait as a 1st level spell once per long rest, again using Charisma as your casting ability score.
    Trickster’s Guile: You have Proficiency in Charisma (Deception).
    Hengeyokai: Fox

Racial Feat: Fox Magic
    Some kitsune are more magical than others. Through deliberate meditation or just the whims of fate, you are amongst those kitsune whose magical potency is naturally greater.
    Prerequisite: Race - Kitsune
    Effect: Choose one of the Tails listed below. At 3rd level, you gain the ability to cast a single spell determined by that tail. At 5th level, you gain a second spell also determined by that tail. Finally, at 9th level, you gain a third and final spell determined by that tail. Spells cast through this feat are cast at their minimum caster level and use Charisma as their spellcasting ability score. Spells cast through this feat can be used once, and then you must complete a long rest before you can cast them again.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time you select it, you must select a new Tail to gain.
    Special: When you first select a Tail through this feat, you gain an additional tail. You gain a second tail when you gain a spell at 9th level due to this feat. Extra tails are visible in fox and hybrid form and may, at the DM’s discretion, grant you Advantage on Charisma checks against other yokai, who recognize their numbers as a sign of power.
    • Tail of Charm: Charm Person at 3rd level, Suggestion at 5th level, Hypnotic Pattern at 9th level.
    • Tail of Wrath: Ray of Sickness at 3rd level, Blindness/Deafness at 5th level, Bestow Curse at 9th level.
    • Tail of Fire: Burning Hands at 3rd level, Aganazzar's Scorcher at 5th level, Fireball at 9th level.
    • Tail of Malice: Tasha's Hideous Laughter at 3rd level, Crown of Madness at 5th level, Fear at 9th level.

Tanuki
    Speed: 30 feet, Fly 15
    Tanuki Trickery: You can cast the Minor Illusion cantrip with this trait. At 3rd level, you can cast Disguise Self as a 1st level spell once per long rest with this trait. In both cases, Charisma is used as the casting ability score.
    Tanuki Transformations: You are a shapeshifter who can freely assume the form of an inanimate object and then revert to your normal form. As an action, you can transform into tools or a weapon by using this ability; you can’t move in such a form, but can be used by another character. In weapon form, attacks made with you count as magical for piercing damage resistance. In tool form, characters may use the tools as if they had proficiency in the requisite skill.
    Tail Slap: Your Unarmed Strikes have a base damage of d4.
    Hengeyokai: Tanuki, use the stats for a Raccoon.

Mujina
    Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Constitution, +1 Strength
    Badger's Toughness: You are Resistant to Poison damage, and have Advantage on Constitution saves vs. Disease.
    Undying Stubbornness: Once per long rest, when you are reduced to zero hit points by an attack, you can instead only be reduced to hitpoints equal to one or your Constitution modifier, whichever is higher.
    Tunneller: You have a Burrow speed of 20 feet.
    Hengeyokai: Badger.

Kawauso
    River Runner: You have a Swim speed of 30 feet and can hold your breath for 5 + Con modifier minutes (minimum of 5 minutes).
    Otter Magic: You know the Shape Water cantrip. At third level, you can cast Create or Destroy Water (Create Water only) as a 1st level spell once per long rest. At fifth level, you can cast Darkness as a 2nd level spell once per long rest. Spells cast with this trait use Charisma as the casting ability score.
    Hengeyokai: Otter (use Weasel stats)

Itachi
    Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +1 Strength
    Speed: 35 feet
    Writhing Dancer: You have Proficiency in Acrobatics checks. Additionally, you double your proficiency bonus to Acrobatics checks made to escape a Grapple. Creatures trying to Grapple you suffer Disadvantage on their Strength check.
    Bringer of Ill Omen: As an action, you can place a curse on a single enemy that you can see within 30 feet. The targeted creature suffers Disadvantage on attack rolls and saving throws until the end of its next turn. Once you have used this trait, you must complete a long rest before you can use it again.
    Born Trickster: You have Advantage on Deception checks. Once you have reached 3rd level, you can cast Charm Person as a 1st level spell with this trait. Once you have cast it using this trait, you must complete a long rest before you can use it this way again. Charisma is your spellcasting ability score for this Charm Person effect.
    Hengeyokai: Weasel

Bakeneko
    Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Intelligence, +1 Dexterity
    Size: Normal
    Hengeyokai: Cat
    Eater of Vile Things: You have Resistance to Poison damage and Advantage on Constitution saving throws against the Poisoned condition.
    Cat's Lantern: You can cast the Produce Flame cantrip with this trait. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability score.
    Jinx: As an action, you can place a curse on a single enemy that you can see within 30 feet. The targeted creature suffers Disadvantage on attack rolls and saving throws until the end of its next turn. Once you have used this trait, you must complete a long rest before you can use it again.

Jorogumo
    Speed: 30 feet, Climb 30 feet
    Born Seductress: You have Proficiency in the Deception skill.
    Expert Climber: You have Advantage on Acrobatics and Athletics checks made to climb.
    Silk Spinner: Once you have reached third level, you can cast Web as a 2nd level spell with this trait. Once you have used this trait, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest. Charisma is your casting ability score for this trait.
    Hengeyokai: Spider