New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Newbie to Gurps Help - Dwarvern Fighter

Hi Peoples,

Some how I have totally avoided playing Gurps for a my entire length of my roleplaying life (nearing two decades).

I need some help creating a 4e Dwarvern Fighter, at 250 point creation. If it possible I would like to do Spear and Shield, as the concept is a wanna be dragon hunter.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Newbie to Gurps Help - Dwarvern Fighter

First, any more to the character than Dwarven fighter? 250 points of a lot, and so you could in theory branch out.

Okay, the first thing to do is check what racial template for GM is using for dwarves. If it's up to you the one in the Basic Set is a decent start, with +1 HT, +1Will, a rank each of Artificier and Extended Lifespan, the ability to detect gold and three ranks of lifespan, for 35 points.

On Attributes Dexterity is likely your most important, followed by Strength and Health. With 250 points I'd recommend a possible base of ST 12, DX 12, IQ 10, HT 12 for 70 more points (105 so far). Per is useful, I recommend at least 12 in that (10 more points), and with a basic speed and move of 6 you not only act fairly quickly but are a fast little dwarf (you can drop your BM if you want, and get 5 points back out -1). Even more DX is going to be useful if you have the points, it's the basis for both your spear and shield skills and contributes to Basic Speed and so is you can get at least another 3 points in DX skills increasing it will be better than another rank in everything.

On advantages, disadvantages and skills, assist from at least Shield 14 (DX+2) [4] and Spear 14 (DX+2) [8] I'm not sure what to suggest until I get more information. Is the
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh sorry its a fantasy game, its going to be a small party I believe (one caster, and one caster swordsman), so I guess the dwarf will need to be a bit of a tank?

Although I would like to charismatic leadership type character, I am not sure if there is much in the way of rules regarding that in Gurps.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
    Although I would like to charismatic leadership type character, I am not sure if there is much in the way of rules regarding that in Gurps.
    There absolutely are - there's no charisma stat, but that doesn't mean GURPS can't handle this.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    There absolutely are - there's no charisma stat, but that doesn't mean GURPS can't handle this.
    True, but there is a charisma advantage (I know someone who gave dwarves in his setting -1 Charisma, still not 100% sure how it worked). IQ and Will take most of it.

I'm assuming TL 3 then? Although if it's TL 4/5 taking a guns skill is useful as the skills are rather cheap and find are decent weapons.

I'll check my books tomorrow for more ideas.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post

I'm assuming TL 3 then? Although if it's TL 4/5 taking a guns skill is useful as the skills are rather cheap and find are decent weapons.

I'll check my books tomorrow for more ideas.
    Yeah definitely no guns, although I think there may be some machinery (but think more steam or stream based mills and such over a coal powered engine).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

What is the point limit in disadvantages?

Spear in Gurps is not a very versatile weapon as it only does thrusting damage. If you want to be a dwarven deathmachine then I suggest to go with a shield and axe/pick, you can have axe blade on one side and pick on the others side. Alternatively just switch out Axe/Mace for spear and the spear damage will be 2d+1 imp. The advantage the spear brings is that you can use it to parry.

Suggestion

ST 15 [50]
    DX 12 [40]
    IQ 11 [20]
    HT 12 [20]

Will+1 for the total of 12 [5]
    Combat Reflexes [15]
    High Pain Threshold [10]
    Charisma +2 [10]
    Night Vison +5 [5]

Shield DX/E [4] 14
    Axe/Mace DX/A [16] 16

Total points spent 195 which gives you 55 points on other skills and advantages which is plenty.

This is pretty tanky character, with a medium shield he'll have 13 in block and a decent 10 in dodge if he doesn't put on too much armor...even then his high ST will mean he can carry a lot before getting encumbered. With his Axe/Pick he'll be doing 2d+3 cutting and 2d+2 impaling and if you use the Targeted attack rules he should invest 3 points in it for the vitals.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    What is the point limit in disadvantages?
    Thanks RazorChain, 75 I believe is the point limit for disadvantages.

Are there any other things I should take in order to be awe inspiring type leader?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
    Thanks RazorChain, 75 I believe is the point limit for disadvantages.

Are there any other things I should take in order to be awe inspiring type leader?

That means the total is 325 points if you use up all the disads, which is quite a lot.

For leadership then Voice [10] will help a lot, it gives +2 on various social skills and +2 on reaction where you can speak

Skills like Diplomacy, Fast Talk, Savoir-Faire and Leadership will then serve you well.

Ask your GM what the Dwarf racial package looks like and how much it costs.

Then you must think about disadvantages, they often define your character and give you those extra points.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Something that is really crucial in character creation is your character background. Your character's history and personality define them in many ways. They also may make it easier to choose game-appropriate disadvantages

Think about what motivates your character. Do they seek wealth, and power? Are they motivated by the drive to protect their friends, and family? Are they desperate, risking their life simply in order to get what they need to survive? Or are they motivated by greater ideals, the belief that they can change the world for the better?

Think about where your character was raised, the parents they had, and any important points in their history that shaped them towards becoming the fighter they are today. Who taught them their combat skills? Use this knowledge to flesh out your character's personality and internal justifications.

Once you have their drive and personality, you can go searching for mental advantages for cool role-playing moments and mental disadvantages for interesting situations and extra points.
    You have a -75 disadvantage cap but remember that it is a cap, not a recommendation. Don't totally cripple your character for the sake of extra points.

If you want to be a good front-line fighter you need some strong armor. Plate at it's thickest is the most effective, heaviest, and by far the most expensive of all armors. If you put some points into Wealth or Signature Gear you can get it and become very difficult to hurt. If, on the other hand, you wish to avoid spending many points on armor and hope you find some thick plate in the course of the adventure, which will potentially hurt your character in the short term but make them stronger in the long term, go for it.

Spears deal thrusting instead of swung damage, making them best for characters with low ST. If you're going to be blocking and parrying a lot on the front line you may want a shield and a Reach 1 one handed weapon, so Axe/Mace and Shield, Broadsword and Shield, etc. If you have a high enough ST you might be able to wield a two handed weapon in one hand and a shield in the other, so Polearm and Shield or Two-Handed Sword and Shield become new options. On the other hand, if you decide you just want to specialize in damage, and don't care about getting hit or being slow, you can drop the Shield and take Two-Handed Axe/Mace and I would suggest either a Great Axe or a Warhammer. The ST to wield those one-handed is too high for me to recommend it, because your character may become cripplingly overspecialized.
    Last edited by Lord_Bigot; 2017-04-08 at 08:54 PM.