New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Rules Question for items from AV/AV2

Q1: Champion's Layered Plate Armor (Source: AV) states "Immediate Reaction. Use this power when you are hit by an attack. Gain temporary hit points equal to the damage you take until the end of your next turn." Does this mean:
    A. You gain THP for the single attack that disappear at the end of your next turn. Thus, if you have 100 HP and 10 THP, you take 30 damage, you're now at 80 HP, with 20 THP until the end of your next turn, at which point the THP disappear or,
    B. You gain THP for EACH ATTACK that occurs until the end of your next turn (and provided you don't die from a single attack, you will take drastically reduced damage for a full round). In this example, if you have 100 HP, and 10 THP, you activate the plate, take 20 damage. Now you have 90 HP, and 10 THP. A subsequent attack does 8 damage, you now have 90 HP, and 2 THP. The next attack does 50 damage, this would put you at 42 HP, with 48 THP?

Q2: The Heirlooms of Mazgorax set (Source: AV2) states "When a create who wears or wields an item from this set would spend a healing surge, that creature can allow an ally who wears or wields an item from this set to spend a healing surge instead." Does this mean that if you and an ally are on the same plane, when one of you uses a power that lets them use a healing surge, the other can spend the surge instead?

Long time reader, first time poster- please go easy on my formatting!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Rules Question for items from AV/AV2

Q1: Poorly written, but I'd go with A.
    Q2: I'd treat an ally as someone who is in the same encounter that you are.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Rules Question for items from AV/AV2

Q1) A is closest, but I would say you'd be at 80 HP with 30 THP that will disappear at the end of your next turn. Damage taken is still damage taken, even if you posses THP, so you still TAKE 30 damage. Also, it is an Immediate Reaction, so you use this AFTER all that damage is taken and you are at that 80 HP.

For B to be correct, it would have to say "Until the end of your next turn, whenever you take damage, you gain THP equal to the amount of damage taken. These THP last until the end of your next turn."

Since the wording lacks "whenever" in regards to taking damage, B cannot be correct. As an aside, if B were to be correct, hypothetically, you would get THP equal to damage taken, as long as your total THP isn't stacking. Nowhere does it state that only normal HP loss constitutes "damage".

Q2)
    I agree with MwaO
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.