New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: A life of Crime [M&M 2nd ed]

OOC: I believe Axel's understanding of the rules is horribly flawed. However, in the interests of expediency, I am going to move on. I *would* like some clarification from the DM as to what should happen in this case, however. Hey, I could be wrong - but that's for the DM to determine. I would prefer to get a ruling, but I don't want to hold the game up any more than I already have.

Toxin simply ratchets up his flight power, and shoots away at top speed, exiting through the handy hole in the roof. Taking his & Mage Bane's money with him, but leaving at least some in the vault for the remaining villains to fight over.

"There is no way I'm sticking around with this *******" Toxin thinks to himself. "Mage-bane can take care of himself, and knows where to go."
    Last edited by ravenkith; 2007-08-06 at 07:09 PM.
    Three things to remember about D&D:
    1. Always go right. It's right, after all.
    2. If it's not a party member, it's just XP.
    3. D&D is the only game where you really can kill first and ask questions later.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

((No need to be insulting. If Toxin exited the vault, he had to move past Mal at some point or Mal moved past him. I've expended two villain points, so you can assume Mal noticed him but in any case he is still undetectable. And as for the duration/action thing, I had always assumed that for a power that has an action requirement of more than free cannot be moved past sustained. The transition from 1st Ed to 2nd is still a little bumpy.))

Mal just stares for a moment, not quite sure what just happened but he has a distinct feeling he just let one get away. Ah well, can't be helped... With a sigh, he looks about with a bored expression, glances into the vault room once, and walks away back to the hole he has created. Using a quick line of flame, sets the ground near the remaining tellers aflame and steps on the neck of one as he walks out, looking quite annoyed.

"So... Uh... Who or what was that?" He asks the other villains once outside and points to the empty space that, at some point, was occupied by Toxin. He assumes, by the fact that they are still standing, that they know slightly more about the scenario then he does and his casual demeanor indicates a deep level of psychopathy that only a very long time of killing can bring.
    Last edited by Axelgear; 2007-08-07 at 12:24 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

((OOC: Uh, Toxin was not in the vault when Mal entered.))
    Spoiler
    Show

PsyBlade, Ayna, and Baiyan by GryffonDurime

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Doubletalk paused on his way out as the clearly unhinged newcomer began talking to the air. Apparently it owed him money.

As the odd man began to light the place on fire, Doubletalk sighed in his head. He could tell this latest newcomer was more than a little deranged, having no problems with outright murder, but the silver-tongued mastermind had his own standards. He ignores the psychopath and once again issues a command to those under his control.

"Please calmly evacuate the building. Assist anyone who cannot move under their own power."

He knew it was breaking character, but it hardly mattered at this point.

He was not afraid of a reprisal from the fiery man; even if the killer were a match for him, he doubted that the other three villains would just stand idly by. They seemed to have problems with killing too, judging by their tactics against the guards. He decides to respond.

"I would ask the same of you, whoever you are."
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2007-08-07 at 01:50 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mal just smirks at this, chuckles, laughs, and soon hoots and hollers until he is rolling on the ground laughing. When he does, eventually, calm himself, he smiles and wipes a tear of laughter from his eye.

"Oh... Man... What a great joke! Oh, but seriously... See you around. Have fun with the carnage."

And, in a puff of brimstone, Mal disappears and leaves naught but smoke to mark his passing.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've mucked this up enough, I think I will just slip out quietly. This game is clearly interesting, which is exactly why I can't be in it. I'll just cause problems. You've all been accommodating.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dark Star

Dark Star decided that he didn't like how things are going. Way too many other vilians were embroiled in this. It was probably high time to leave, before the goody types show up. Especially Tom. Anything but Tom. "Right, time to leave." But taking the closest rout out through the hole in the wall, Dark Star decided to jump the teller wall and walk across to the main entrance. If he tried hard enough to fit in, maybe he could slip out with the normal people.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the bystanders and bank-personnel begin to evacuate the damaged building, a booming voice can be heard inside the bank.

"This is Major Valor! We've got the building surrounded! Surrender and come out with your hands out!" Any of you that have spent even two days in Fort Garth recognize the man as the meta-human known as Major Valor.

He's the local military-sponsored meta, his real, and publicly known, identity being that of Air Force major Tom Valor. Though there is no formal team of heroes in Fort Garth, Major Valor has been known to in the past work together with several metas in the area, so it's safe to say that he's got company out there.

Outside the bank, Valor is hailed through his communicator. "Monsiuer Valor, it would seem that my experimental mental-detection helm has found someone fleeing away from the bank through le ciel but I can't confirm it with a visual sighting." "I understand Professeur Primat, but we've got our hands full here. Can you handle the situation?" "Oui, bien sur mon ami. Primat over." "Valor over."
    Awesome Eagle Owl by Abardam.
    Looking for a player for a M&M game? Drop me a PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Doubletalk immediately backed away from the door, trying not to present a target to anyone outside.

Well, at least now the situation's a little more clear-cut.

"Look, would anyone be opposed to a team up right now? It doesn't look like we have much of a choice."

Doubletalk smiled slightly as the beginnings of a plan took form.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

The real Cubit was leaving with the civilians. After hearing Doubletalk's suggestion of giving to the less fortunate, he figured it would do him some good to do so. Though he had to first deal with police asking for witnesses.

As for the 'Thugs' Cubit leant to Doubletalk, they would most certainly help Doubletalk.

Spoiler
    Show

Tell me when the nauseated thug is able to fight.
    Doubletalk has the 'Thugs' vote for leading the attack on the hero[es]. for obvious reasons.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

Dark Star

Dark Star stood still as stone when he heard Tom's voice. For what seemed an eternity to Dark Star he stood and sifted through the sudden onrush of memories that the sound of his voice brought to mind. And then he started quivering. At first it looked like it was from fright, but it soon became obvious it was from sheer rage. "...Tom. Tom! TOM YOU SON OF A HORE!" Dark Star walked over to the inner set of double doors and kicked them open. "YOU’L GET NO SURRENDER FROM ME!!! I’LL HAVE MY REVENGE!!" Turning around, Dark Star spied the counters that held the deposit slips. Ripping one out of the floor, he turned and hurled it through the doors. The whole time ignoring the fact that people were in his way.

11. - Top - End - #41

ACH-01: Zachariah Unit

ACH had been surveying the city, looking for crimes to commit and people to commit them on, when he noticed a disturbance at the Eastern Seaboard Bank. Quickly, he strode to the bank, hoping to take advantage of the situation.

Unfortunetly for ACH, he arrived too late, if the destruction in the bank meant anything as he walked through one of the various holes. He watched the grey-skinned human throw a tantrum, then announced himself in a slightly static monotone voice.

"Mockery: Is he making human-based salsa? I don't think that action was wise. Neither would be fighting this Major Valor without help. May I offer my assistance in this matter?"
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

What do you think, boss?
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

"I say we need all the help we can get. Now, we'll let the grey guy out first; he looks like he can take their fire. We'll follow once their attention is on him."

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    "I say we need all the help we can get. Now, we'll let the grey guy out first; he looks like he can take their fire. We'll follow once their attention is on him."
    "Agreement: I assume he was the one that made a hole in the roof? He can most likely take a beating or two."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

The counter flies through the air fuelled by Dark Star's rage and impressive strength, sending the bystanders flying every which way. Few can get up or walk away as the improvised missile carries on it's course, smashing into Major Valor and shattering to pieces on impact. The hero rises up from the wreckage, seeming to have only sustained bruises from the attack.

Flying through the city with his stolen loot, Toxin is taken by surprise as he is hit by a deep red beam of energy. The energy quickly surrounds him completely and the pheromone-powered villain is bound and helpless within the glowing forcefield. "I think it would be best if you would come in quietly and return that money you stole, non, mon ami?"

From the corner of his eye Toxin can see a gorilla wearing a white labcoat holding what appears to be a high-tech ray gun from where the bands of energy ensnaring him seem to be coming from. "Allow me to introduce myself, monsieur. I am known as Professeur Primat, a genius and a hero, I suppose you might say. I am going to, how do you say, bring you in.

((Major Valor gets a Bruised condition. Thug's nauseated no more. Toxin gets a villain point. Also, ouch, really bad luck on rolls. Action!))

16. - Top - End - #46

AssassinGuy

Toxin, he and his gear safe inside his field, winds up his fatigue powers.

(Subtle, rank 10, sustained duration.)

"Hope this creeps got some kind of protection...or it's going hurt when he passes out and hits the ground. When he falls asleep, he won't be able to keep the ray on me, and I'll be able to split. No need to hurt anybody if I don't have to," he thinks to himself.

"Sure, Prof, I'll come quietly," he says aloud. "I want you to know, I'm an independent, I'm not with the rest of those jokers; they're killing people in there!"
    3. D&D is the only game where you really can kill first and ask questions later.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thug1: Boss, Operative 2 is back in action. What orders do you have for us?

Actions: Whatever Doubletalk asks of the Thugs, they'll do. Without orders, the outside Thug will delay Valor, while the inside will act to protect Doubletalk.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

"We wait for the big guy to leave, then we take these guys as fast as possible. Go for whoever I attack."

((I lower my initiative so I go after Darkstar. Assuming he exits the building, I'll head for the front door and use Blast on whichever super looks like the biggest threat. I'm still using my spray-painted calculator.))

19. - Top - End - #49

Dark Star

Scowling, Dark Star turned around and spoke to Doubletalk. "Hey Doc, I would stand back a little if I were you. It's about to get messy." He then faced the door and prepared himself for the counter-attack.

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Ghal Marak View Post
    Dark Star

Scowling, Dark Star turned around and spoke to Doubletalk. "Hey Doc, I would stand back a little if I were you. It's about to get messy." He then faced the door and prepared himself for the counter-attack.
    "I myself won't have a problem with that. Organic material breaks down quickly enough, and it does not impede my progress in any way. Also, I suscept I am as durable as you. However, you are still slightly human. I am not. They won't hesitate to destroy me, and I do nothing if not survive. So, I'm sticking a few meters behind you."

ACH advances foward, stopping a few meters behind Dark Star, and readies his tentacles for all out defense.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Primat raises an eyebrow at Toxin's words. "Really? That is tres terrible. The professor is casually perched on the top of a roof as he observes the red man-shaped energy-aura where he knows his quarry to be, the sun glinting of the metallic dome on his head, obviously the prototype the inventor used to detect Toxin in the first place.

Meanwhile at the bank, five heroes can be seen by the villains. Major Valor stands defiantly outside, a man dressed in dark blue spandex with a large white 'V' on his chest, a white cape and white gloves and boots.

Another hero rivalling the Major's fame in Fort Garth, namely the battlesuited Ultima, is also present. The operator of the bulky green and white battlesuit is unknown though his connection to the local mega corporation Ultratech is well known as he's the company's figurehead and protector as well as being on it's payroll.

Circling the building at amazing speeds is Blur, a slightly less well known hero. Crimson Bolt is a name that is whispered with fear by the criminal underworld of Fort Garth, the black crimson-fletched bolts of the vigilante being his calling-card. Few know much about the young new heroine, Gravity Girl, though her mastery over gravity is as obvious as it's powerful.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Doubletalk slips back into character.

"You fools! Doctor Bedlam will crush you!"

As Blur races by, he attunes his voice to the speedster's vibrational frequency, and hits it as hard as he can. A low, fog horn-like noise emanates from 'Bedlam's' general area. He gestures with his device as well.

He then looks at the few civillians he still controls. They'd be useless against anyone with a power, but not everyone here had a power...

"Get Crimson Bolt!"

((Standard action to blast Blur, move action to order all remaining mind controlees to try to grapple Crimson Bolt))

23. - Top - End - #53

AssassinGuy

Toxin maintains his fatigue power.

(Primat's not obviously equipped with a gas mask or half mechanical is he? he should be feeling some effects by now...)

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    "Get Crimson Bolt!"
    Roger!
    Misinterpreting the meaning, Thug 2 runs full speed at Crimson Bolt.
    He attacks.
    All of a sudden, Thug 1 attacks Crimson Bolt from behind, hopefully catching Crimson Bolt off-guard.
    The two attacks strike one after the other.
    Spoiler
    Show

Combined attack using the Thugs against Crimson Bolt. Also, Crimson Bolt may not be aware of Thug 2, so I'm hoping this gives a bonus to hit for the Thugs.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Initiative:
    Blur
    Mage Bane
    Doubletalk
    Crimson Bolt
    Cubit
    Zachariah
    Gravity Girl
    Professeur Primat
    Dark Star
    Toxin
    Duplicates
    Ultima
    Major Valor
    Mind Controlees

Blur smirks to Dark Star standing in the doorway before zipping through the hole in the backwall of the bank he found while circling it. Everybody in the bank is barely able to register the cheery "Heads up!" before the whirlwind of movement hits them. Doubletalk's remaining mind controlees all fly on their backsides, although the villains in the bank manage to keep their balance under the barrage. Just as fast as he entered the bank, Blur exits, leaving only confusion in his wake.

Doubletalk fires a sonic blast after the retreating speedster, but he simply can't hit his fast-moving target. Crimson Bolt wordlessly reaches for a bolt from his quiver, readying his crossbow and aiming it at Dark Star. The bolt flies true, discharging an electric current on contact into the grey-skinned man, but Dark Star is only slightly dazed by the attack.

Cubit lays low among the bystanders on the floor while Zacharias readies his tentacles for any attack coming his way. The two 'thugs' charge Crimson Bolt, though the grim avenger sees them coming from the corner of his eye, dodging under their blows effortlessly. Gravity Girl rises up into the air above the battle, releasing a concentrated blast of gravity at one of the two 'thugs'. She misses her mark, the hammer-blow of an attack demolishing the concrete next to the duplicate instead.

"Val? Valentin?! Is that you?! Ultima, stand down, we need to find some other way to handle this!" The Major's confusion is plain on his face. Hovering a few feet above the street, Ultima raises his hands as an electronically masked voice answers his ally. "I'm sorry Tom, but you saw what he just did. There's only one way to handle this." A charge builds up in the hands of the armored warrior before it's unleashed at Dark Star.

The blast leaves only what look like scorch-marks on Dark Star, leaving him otherwise unharmed. Hanging his head low in sadness, Major Valor never the less powers through the air, colliding with Dark Star and pinning his old friend to the ground. In the bank, the mind controlees slowly get to their feets, looking to their master for instructions.

Meanwhile elsewhere, Professeur Primat activates his device, reeling Toxin closer with it, but the cunning villain answers this by using his fatigue-inducing pheromone-aura. The subtle affects of the attack evoke a yawn from the mighty primate who finds himself inexplicably exhausted for some reason. At the same time the energy-bands enclosing Toxin within them begin to fade, freeing the villain.

((Ghal, boost density or healing?))

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Doubletalk had been unprepared for the sheer speed Blur moved at. He wouldn't make that mistake twice. He readied himself for another attack run, hoping to catch the speedster this time.

Noticing his unwitting minions seemed to need further instructions, he obliged them, waving his silvery device in their general direction.

"Assist my minions against the archer!"

((Move action to order minions to use Aid Another actions on Crimson Bolt, Standard action to ready a Blast attack when the speedster comes into view))

27. - Top - End - #57

AssassinGuy

"Are you alright, Professor?" Toxin asks, genuinely concerned. "You look very tired. I don't know how your powers work, do you need to land on a rooftop or something?" he asks kindly, slowly moving with the Professor to a nearby roof and coming to a halt.

"We can rest for a minute if you like," he continues, attempting to distract the man from what's really going on.

(1d20+10)[15]

OOC: Yuck! crappy roll. Using my distract feat. He makes an opposed roll; a will save, bluff check, or sense motive, whichever is higher. If he fails, he's dazed for a round (giving my sleepy 'mones more time to work, as they are being sustained throughout all this). I wasn't sure; can I take 10 on this kind of use of bluff?
    Last edited by ravenkith; 2007-08-19 at 11:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hearing Doubletalk order the mind controllees, Cubit makes a decision.

Work with the Mindless. They'll assist you with Crimson Bolt.

After receiving their orders from Cubit, the Thugs adjust their plans, while continuing to attack Crimson Bolt.

Spoiler
    Show

If they need to, the Thugs delay their actions so whichever Thug goes second can use their aid. Whichever Thug goes first will use Aid Another.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

Dark Star

"Ha! Like you would remember me, the man you sent to his death!! Well, I've come back from the dead to take my REVENGE!!!" On the word revenge, Dark Star attempted to reverse the pin and get a hold on Major Valor.

30. - Top - End - #60

ACH-01 "Zachariah"

ACH moves his tentacles out of a defensive position and gives a strange, metallic, monotone laugh as he turns his head to Ultima.

"Ultima, was it? Well then Ultima, let us fight to see which is stronger, a mere human, wrapped in a guise of metal, or the real "McCoy", an android of incalcuable potential?"

During his challenge to Ultima, ACH strides towards the battlesuited hero, ignoring everything else until he gets close enough and at the word "potential", his tentacles extend out to grab Ultima, as ACH laughs some more for kicks.

((Grapple FTW.))