New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Roguelike and roguelite recommendation thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Over 1.1.1, I guess, I haven't played for a long time.
    where to start ... 5 new dungeons randomly placed across the map, a new 'quest hub' in the Ice Queens Domain (intended to be done just before/around ToEF), which in turn opens a area which have a guaranteed greater vault, two new races, two new classes lots of tiny changes to the mechanícs (the weapon type "Two handed Weapons" gaining 1½ str modifier to its damage rolls)

Dual shields (& coward mode) help in some instances too.
    Don't work any more, as Dual shields now makes it impossible to cast spells (or use missile attacks)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corlindale View Post
    A downside to Dredmor is that the game is really long and can get somewhat grindy, because you need to get through 15 dungeon floors and each floor is really big (unless you use the setting to reduce it). It can be a bit frustrating to spend hours and hours on a run only to die on floor 14, but I guess that's part of the roguelike experience. Also, you pick up so much junk in the dungeon that inventory management can become quite a hassle - especially if you have a crafting build and actually need a lot of the random junk for later constructions.
    Yeah. Dredmor's inventory system is absolutely terrible.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Thinking steam version (currently r72) over 1.1.1 or over the latest free version (r60)?

Something that annoys me in ADOM, is that I've never managed to wrap my head around how to play spellcasters... I have few if any problems getting Mundane or semi-casters (mainly leaning on utility spells) working, but never spellcasters
    Try a Troll Wizard. By mid-game they aren't too hampered in the spellcasting department, and the basic Troll proficiencies (big, strong, fast healing) mean that the class remains viable in melee combat and is fairly forgiving.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

I was never able to get into either ADOM or Nethack simply due to the ridiculous amount of trial and error involved. There's just so many things about the game that you'll never learn unless you've tried it at least once before, or you're sitting there with the wiki open cheating.

Games like ToME and Stone Soup are much better to me, because success is based on your build and your skill rather than simply brute forcing the game 1,000 times until you have all the knowledge you need to win.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Don't work any more, as Dual shields now makes it impossible to cast spells (or use missile attacks)
    Aw, maaan.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    Crypt of the Necrodancer

It's basically one of my favorite games, even if I still can't beat the end end end boss. But I really like how the movement/attacking in the game is tied to the beat while still being turn based. All the monsters have their own behaviors, such that you have to learn how to navigate around them to attack safely. The game has different weapons with different attack patterns and needs (ex if you're lucky enough to find a shot gun, it shoots a pretty devastating cone, but must be reloaded (to the beat) after each shot, or broad swords which attack the three squares infront of you, or whips which can attack hit squares that are diagonal from you). You have to be pretty smart with weapons (and certain boots/rings) because of how they change the way you move or attack can get you killed if you don't plan correctly.
    Yeah have to highly recommend this one as well. Roguelike + Rhythm game + Dungeon crawler, it's such a creative concept and they blend the elements so well. It's unbelievably hard but a fun time all the same.

I'd also recommend Hand of Fate. It's a much lighter entry on this list but the elements of randomization and difficulty are there. I particularly love the combat, which has shades of Arkham Asylum.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

I would definitely recommend ADOM for a harder roguelike crunch. Between the Steam version and the original, I honestly prefer the original, but that's probably just personal bias - all of my wins were on original, before things like sickness/starvation training, dual shields, treasure hunter, herbs and crowning, item dipping etc. were "fixed". Some of them I totally agree with (IIRC Treasure Hunter was bugged, and item dipping could produce infinite wishes if done right) but others seem a little harsh (limiting stat increases even with sickness/starvation).

WRT learning curve: ADOM's is a bit steep, and often totally unfair when you encounter uncommon/new monsters (lol stone ooze/early game wmopc). I really enjoy it, though, and sometimes you just gotta shrug and take a death. More often than not, I die because I get overconfident and forget things like all the Darkforge changes.

Dungeons of Dredmor for an easier/more straightforward/goofier time. The crafting system is kind of fun, at least more fun than most games'.

I have a love/hate relationship with ToME. I've played it on Nightmare-Roguelike, and I'm stuck at the end. It's a fantastic game, but by the end of the game it's entirely possible to be crushed by an overlevelled monster out of nowhere (if I recall right, my archmage was having a ton of trouble with the orc strongholds, due to level 90+ light/prism elementals or whatever they were - they took almost no damage from magic and healed constantly).

I played a little of Stone Soup, but found the interface wonky (probably due to being hardcore into ADOM at the time, honestly). Seems like a solid Roguelike, though.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2017-03-04 at 03:49 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

8. - Top - End - #38

Oh yeah, two other thing that I forgot to mention and I haven't seen mentioned.

Barony and Eldritch. They both are roguelike FPS. Though by FPS I mean "first person dungeon crawler" and not literally shooter, since in barony you play typical fantasy classes and in eldritch you play... someone. I haven't played barony that much, it seems to be kinda too random and har for me, but it can be played multiplayer. It might be fun playing a randomized fps dungeoncrawler with friends.

I love eldritch though. It's first person lovecraft-themed roguelike dungeoncrawler where the focus is obviously more to get to the next levels instead of fighting. Getting stuck behind an altar of forgotten hiding from unkillable shoggoth with just an empty bottle of beer in your hand is just another friday.

The gameplay is getting from checkpoints (level) to checkpoints and each checkpoints can be reached in about half to an hour, so it's fun for short game sessions. Though obviously you're meant to die over and over again before you can reach any checkpoints.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    I have a love/hate relationship with ToME. I've played it on Nightmare-Roguelike, and I'm stuck at the end. It's a fantastic game, but by the end of the game it's entirely possible to be crushed by an overlevelled monster out of nowhere (if I recall right, my archmage was having a ton of trouble with the orc strongholds, due to level 90+ light/prism elementals or whatever they were - they took almost no damage from magic and healed constantly).
    I don't remember ever running into this problem...but I tend to favor melee classes or hybrids over pure casters.

Actually, now that I think about it I'm not sure I ever beat the game on Nightmare either. So maybe I don't have any room to talk.

10. - Top - End - #40

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I don't remember ever running into this problem...but I tend to favor melee classes or hybrids over pure casters.

Actually, now that I think about it I'm not sure I ever beat the game on Nightmare either. So maybe I don't have any room to talk.
    I haven't actually beaten it yet, but I started on Nightmare to up the difficulty a bit. I was feeling masochistic I guess...

I'm pretty sure there are ways for my archmage to bypass the elementals, like Stone Wall or something. I think they came out of a vault of some sort, which would explain their ludicrous levels. I just prefer to try and kill things first, and having these elementals no-sell my damage spells so easily made me doubt my ability to finish the prides and High Peak.

Clearing the Vor Armoury vault, though, was pretty fun.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Action Roguelike
    -Diablo
    To this, I'd add few Diablolikes
    1. Torchlight 1 & 2 (Steampunk Diablo)
    2. Titan Quest (Sword & Sandals Diablo)
    3. Grim Dawn (same folks who made Titan Quest made Diablothulhu)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

4. Path of Exile...
    Last edited by N810; 2017-03-06 at 11:54 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44

I really liked Angband...

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by N810 View Post
    Gotta start with some of the classics, like Nethack.
    http://www.nethack.org/
    I second this, in addition to the earlier versions of Troubles of Middle Earth, before it became Tales of Maj'Eyal.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned

I just want to point out that some of the most rewarding rogue-like experience you can possibly have is to search for, and read through Mewthartio's old ADoM blind let's play. It's quite possibly the most fun that can be had on a forum.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    I haven't actually beaten it yet, but I started on Nightmare to up the difficulty a bit. I was feeling masochistic I guess...

I'm pretty sure there are ways for my archmage to bypass the elementals, like Stone Wall or something. I think they came out of a vault of some sort, which would explain their ludicrous levels. I just prefer to try and kill things first, and having these elementals no-sell my damage spells so easily made me doubt my ability to finish the prides and High Peak.

Clearing the Vor Armoury vault, though, was pretty fun.
    The light elementals are heavily resistant or completely immune to light and fire, IIRC. Can be rough times if you're a Wildfire mage, even with the resistance-penetration you should have from the Wildfire sustain and all your +fire gear. Especially obnoxious if you don't actually have Wildfire unlocked/leveled, although if you don't have that tree you should have a pretty decent investment in at least one alternate damage type (Earth is actually pretty decent for it with Pulverizing Auger, since the things that heavily resist Physical damage don't usually resist energy and vice versa.) Wait for one of them to put up their shield, Disperse Magic it, and nuke that one down, then run away, recharge, and repeat.

..that said, light elementals are one of my top 3 ToME 'bugger this, I'm going somewhere else' encounters precisely because of the obnoxious combination of shield+heal+strong resists + ranged attacks. The cherry on that pile of pain is they're one of the enemies where a single spawn is actually a pack of three - especially bad if you hit a vault containing their type that will spawn multiples of them and make you deal with 6-9-12 of them at once.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm not normally big on Roguelikes, but I've recently been enjoying Strange Adventures in Infinite Space. It's very much on the roguelite end of the spectrum, but it's a fun, simple little knockabout game that's great for spending 5-15 minutes a pop. It's available as freeware, although it needs some tinkering with the compatibility settings to get it to run right on modern machines. I'd prefer if it had a bit more flexibility in the settings (namely allowing a variable mission time and map size) and/or perhaps had something like a free roam mode for longer expeditions, but those are minor gripes. I guess they might also be fixed with mods too, I've not really looked into those yet and I'm not sure how active the community for them is given the age of the game.

There are a couple of sequels too that are for sale on Steam. The impression I get is that they're a case of "the same, but more" as well as having shinier graphics and some contentious changes to the UI. I might check them out at some point, but for now I'm quite content with just the basic SAIS.
    Last edited by Ebon_Drake; 2017-10-24 at 03:08 PM.
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

19. - Top - End - #49
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Wonder:

"Roguelike and roguelite recommendation thread"
    Died, level 48, by a necromancer
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.