New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451

Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

That's actually a decent point. Also, you could have something more like Puget Sound, which edges up on 'inland sea' in size.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    But yeah I was poking fun, but there are also other explanations for this obvious mistake that would not make this obvious mistake into a mistake. For example Duckberg can be a Peninsula surrounded on 3 sides by water. Well sometimes even if you are on the "west coast" due to the "peninsula nature" that land can have where there is an island on the east side even though the bigger ocean is on the west side. For example this occurs with San Francisco Bay where the bay is circular and there are two peninsulas on either side of the bay. In the bay there is also an island Alcatraz. So for example Scrooge's house could be on one of the peninsulas, the money bin is on the island in the center of the bay (like Alcatraz) to the untrained eye the bay looks like the ocean for it is so large it fills Scrooge's field of vision yet the main ocean is really behind him on the other side of the house.
    Not really. The bay isn't that big. You can plainly see the other side from any point on either shoreline.

But as you said, even major movies can screw it up. In the last X-Men movie I saw (the one with Dark Phoenix) when they ripped up the Golden Gate Bridge and had it going to Alcatraz, they showed either the Moon, or the Sun in the wrong place.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

By the way, the show HAD a real villain. That green demon that trapped Gladstone was one. He had to be fooled to be beated but he was a serious threat that the heroes couldnt defeat by sheer force.

I love this show, so much. Good characters, good humour, interesting stories and plots.

I wonder what is going to be the next mystery arc though once they retrieve Della Duck... It was the biggest mystery of season 1 so I wonder how long they plan to continue this great show.

4. - Top - End - #454

Next season is a given, but Disney was recently talking about starting to push new seasons of popular shows to their streaming service as a way to get people to sign up for it. Which may mean they're planning for when all the cord cutters start having kids. I can only guess how much havoc that'll wreak on the traditional method of keeping the kid entertained (park them in front of the idiot box)--kids programming may be the most vulnerable right now.

Things I never expected to say, BTW.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

So I am catching up, and just finished episode 11.

Episode 10 looked really good -- the spear of Selene. Except ...

Well, after the big challenges, they run away to the beach and the plane, only to find that Launchpad has it all disassembled. I was expecting a two parter. Instead, episode 11 completely ignores what came in front of it.

So, ... well, what's up? I've been trying to ignore as much of the spoilers as I can. I saw that this thread has been discussing Della. I'm more concerned with: What's going on that they end an episode on a cliff-hanger, and then treat it as "all done" in the next one?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

6. - Top - End - #456

Business as usual for an episodic series. Nothing in one episode affects anything in any other episode.

The fact that they're trying to not be an episodic series complicated matters somewhat.

7. - Top - End - #457

BlackDragon

Is that the voice of fluttershy in the golf episode saying "Hope on my back"?

... That's what I call really classic voice actor selection.
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Is that the voice of fluttershy in the golf episode saying "Hope on my back"?

... That's what I call really classic voice actor selection.
    Yup, and the other one is Tara Strong, AKA, Twilight Sparkle. Also, a heeeeell of a lot of other things.

My Little Kelpies are officially my favorite part of this show.

9. - Top - End - #459

BlackDragon

That was Tara?

I did not recognize Raven/Twilight.

Edit:

My little Pony
    My little Kelpie
    Pretty Pretty Pegasus

My little pretty pretty kelpie!
    Last edited by keybounce; 2018-09-12 at 07:48 PM.

10. - Top - End - #460

BlackDragon

OK, how does "DDDDDBBOC" turn into "Will it crash"?

Dewey Do-night Does Dastardly Damage By Bringing On Crashes?

11. - Top - End - #461

BlackDragon

So my on-demand library only goes up to about episode 16 (Last episode I saw was the locked room murder mystery Day of the Only Child), and something in my add-ons gives the disney site a "Sorry, we cannot play your video" after watching the ads.

So what is up with Lena? Webby's new best friend?

Disney has a history. Whenever they re-write/re-tell a story, they always put in a change, some new character, etc. Something so that they can look at some other version of the story and say "That's based on our stuff". For copyright reasons.

Lena looked like this. Introduced in episode 4, as a perfect complement to Webby's "I've been alone in a mansion my whole life". The line of "I didn't hear an American accent until age 7" or something like that was great, it helps to show Webby's character/behavior. (This Webby is also a very different Webby). And the last minute of the episode gives Lena's character a wonderful reason to exist. Episode 5 has her right in the thick of things, and gives the house keeper a reason to trust her, and ends with her having the trust of the adults and permission to be around.

And yet, since then? Nothing.

I can understand not being in all episodes. The Beagle Boys are only in about half, 2/3rds, something like that. Gizmo Duck took something like 10 episodes before showing up. But this new "Head of Twitter" high-tech geek guy has been in more episodes than someone with a strong tie to the original series, that is a good character foil for Webby, that has good story reason (Webby needs a friend to complement the trio) to be there.

What gives?

This is more of a meta question as well. Did the studio not realize that the story being written called for an on-going character? (Very unlikely given her "super hero/secret identity".) Was there an issue with the voice actor not being long-term available? Something else?

(And, have I done a good job of not spoiling anything?)
    Last edited by keybounce; 2018-09-13 at 09:07 PM.

12. - Top - End - #462

The Lena arc was probably kept deliberately thin, to make room for all of the other stuff they were trying to cram in. Although you missed mentioning the 'jump the shark' episode.

13. - Top - End - #463

BlackDragon

Jump the shark?

Was that prior to "Day of the only child"? That's the last I've seen so far.

14. - Top - End - #464

EvilClericGuy

There's been complaints about the episode numbering through out the series.

The writers made a story-arc where the order of the episodes matters both for plot and character development.

Marketing wanted a more episodic feel so they rearranged the episodes. Most well known is the "Mt. Neverrest" story that was supposed to be the third episode but was moved back to air closer to Christmas because it had snow. Thankfully they had the wisdom to keep Lena's storyline and Della's storyline intact.

But the most confusion was how they handled the first two parter. Episode 1 Woo-oo was an hour long. so for re-airings they splint it into two parts. Episode 1 Woo-oo and Episode 6 Escape To/From Atlantis. Yes Episode 6. by the time it came to re-air the two parter as two episodes, episodes 2-5 had aired. and not many outlets had gotten the notice so when episode 7 aired, most sites (including wikipedia) listed it as episode 6.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

This is more of a meta question as well. Did the studio not realize that the story being written called for an on-going character? (Very unlikely given her "super hero/secret identity".) Was there an issue with the voice actor not being long-term available? Something else?

(And, have I done a good job of not spoiling anything?)
    Lena is a difficult character to write around. Too much and not enough both destroy what she brings to the table. They want you to wonder what side she's truly on, but never give you enough evidence to answer the question concretely. So she has to show up enough to keep the question in mind, but not be a regular to the point that the question ceases to be intriguing. I think they did a good job with it by rarely making her the focal point of an episode and just advance her arc bit by bit with each appearance.

I will say I think they did an excellent job with her, given the season as a whole. She's probably the single most complex element of the season, in fact, which makes the care they took with her all the more important.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

16. - Top - End - #466

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Lena is a difficult character to write around.
    and just advance her arc bit by bit with each appearance.
    So, from episode 5 (underground train / mole people) to 16 (day of the only child), she doesn't appear -- when does she show up next?

(If you say episode 17 ... :-)

Oh, and I saw the first episode as the full-length, 44 minute episode.
    Last edited by keybounce; 2018-09-19 at 12:03 AM.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So, from episode 5 (underground train / mole people) to 16 (day of the only child), she doesn't appear -- when does she show up next?

(If you say episode 17 ... :-)

Oh, and I saw the first episode as the full-length, 44 minute episode.
    The two that come off the top of my head are "The Other Bin of Scrooge McDuck" and the appearance she makes in the season finale. She continues to evolve with each episode she's in. I'm quite curious to see where they go with her in the second season.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

18. - Top - End - #468

There's also JAW$, which, IMS, is supposed to come before Day of the Only Child.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

And they've apparently announced that there'll be a 3rd season as well :p

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    And they've apparently announced that there'll be a 3rd season as well :p
    More importantly, we know the airdate of the Season 2 premiere :October 20th, so in about 30 days. Can't wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

21. - Top - End - #471

BlackDragon

So I just saw JAW$. It was listed as episode 14, but my on-demand has two different 1-minute shorts listed as episode 14.

First: Why does Webby say that Scrooge hates all forms of magic, and does not let them in the house, when he's been shown to have magical items in his gar-age ("you mean Garage?")

Second:
    Spoiler
    Show

it looks like Lena really wants to be friends. The impression I got from watching this was that she really didn't care what her aunt wanted to do, this was an opportunity for her to spend time with her friend.

Beyond that, it just looks like Lena considers magic to be bad news, like she's trying to make sure that Webby doesn't get into magic. Which makes me wonder if Lena got into her situation by accident, maybe doing something to accidentally unlock her aunt, and now she's stuck with her, and trying to make sure that her friend doesn't repeat her mistake.

I noticed that her magic glow can either be red, or blue, and she has at least some ability to control which color it turns out to be. We just know this is going to be "color-coordinated for your convenience".

Beyond that? It looks like her biggest concern is not being found out because that would cost her her friendship, as well as not losing her friend. Near the end of the show, she's at the point of thinking that Webby hates her, and when she finds out otherwise, suddenly she is willing to use her magic to save her friend.

It really looks like she really does want to be Webby's friend, like she wants to be rid of her aunt, and wants to protect webby from whatever cursed her.

I suspect that if Lena could ever trust them, Webby/Scrooge/the boys/Duckworth/the housemaid that described herself as a spy would be more than willing to find some way to get rid of that curse. Heck, Launchpad can probably find a way to crash the curse.

EDIT: Previous discussion of JAW$ was on page 11 of this thread.

Also, I did not hear anyone voiced by fluttershy or Tara Strong, yet there was this big call-out to the power of friendship. Was there a a shared voice actor in this episode?
    Last edited by keybounce; 2018-09-26 at 09:53 PM.

22. - Top - End - #472

Not that I recall (pretty much everyone is main cast), but MLP is an even bigger piece of nostalgia media than DT. Makes sense they'd make a reference. Plus, they did have the Murder Ponies earlier.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ettin in the Playground

So I just saw JAW$. It was listed as episode 14, but my on-demand has two different 1-minute shorts listed as episode 14.

First: Why does Webby say that Scrooge hates all forms of magic, and does not let them in the house, when he's been shown to have magical items in his gar-age ("you mean Garage?")
    It's that Scrooge thinks magic is cheating. Also, Frank Angones stated that magic, the occult, the supernatural, and mythological are different power sources. so it's possible that the gauntlet isn't the same thing as spellcasting in Scrooge's eyes.

Second:
    Spoiler
    Show

it looks like Lena really wants to be friends. The impression I got from watching this was that she really didn't care what her aunt wanted to do, this was an opportunity for her to spend time with her friend.

Beyond that, it just looks like Lena considers magic to be bad news, like she's trying to make sure that Webby doesn't get into magic. Which makes me wonder if Lena got into her situation by accident, maybe doing something to accidentally unlock her aunt, and now she's stuck with her, and trying to make sure that her friend doesn't repeat her mistake.

I noticed that her magic glow can either be red, or blue, and she has at least some ability to control which color it turns out to be. We just know this is going to be "color-coordinated for your convenience".

Beyond that? It looks like her biggest concern is not being found out because that would cost her her friendship, as well as not losing her friend. Near the end of the show, she's at the point of thinking that Webby hates her, and when she finds out otherwise, suddenly she is willing to use her magic to save her friend.

It really looks like she really does want to be Webby's friend, like she wants to be rid of her aunt, and wants to protect webby from whatever cursed her.

I suspect that if Lena could ever trust them, Webby/Scrooge/the boys/Duckworth/the housemaid that described herself as a spy would be more than willing to find some way to get rid of that curse. Heck, Launchpad can probably find a way to crash the curse.]
    More on that will be revealed by the time the season's over.
    EDIT: Previous discussion of JAW$ was on page 11 of this thread.

Also, I did not hear anyone voiced by fluttershy or Tara Strong, yet there was this big call-out to the power of friendship. Was there a a shared voice actor in this episode?
    They showed up in the next episode; "The Missing Links of Moorshire", as a pair of kelpies. It'll make sense once you see it.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2018-09-28 at 05:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Troll in the Playground

Theory: The magic stuff is in the garage because Scrooge dislikes magic. As far as he's concerned, the garage is not part of the house.

Webby lived in the manor, and had never been in the garage from the outside; she had only ever snuck in via vents I believe. Obviously it is not a part of the house that Scrooge spends time in.

25. - Top - End - #475

BlackDragon

They showed up in the next episode; "The Missing Links of Moorshire", as a pair of kelpies. It'll make sense once you see it.
    I know. I loved that it was fluttershy doing one of the kelpies.

All we needed was for her to say something like "I'll take you to the ocean, if you wish" :-)

26. - Top - End - #476

BlackDragon

Disney Channel is repeating the last episodes of the season starting next week. If you missed the ending (as I did) the first time around, set your VCR to tape them now.

27. - Top - End - #477

BlackDragon

So, am I the only one seeing (Dish network's episode guide) "From the confidential Casefiles ..." as season 2 epiosde 1?

I know the episode numbering was messed up, but is this an official change in numbering, or is Dish just really messed up?

28. - Top - End - #478

Netflix did it too. Apparently, the system really likes to have things in smaller chunks (see also their breaking MHA season 2 in half).

29. - Top - End - #479

BlackDragon

So I take it I'm not the only one that noticed that the agent of FOWL almost certainly survived for a third encounter later.

And, Beakley really has an amazing memory. A very short time to memorize a sequence of numbers and colors, and remembering it 30 years later?

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

So I take it I'm not the only one that noticed that the agent of FOWL almost certainly survived for a third encounter later.

And, Beakley really has an amazing memory. A very short time to memorize a sequence of numbers and colors, and remembering it 30 years later?
    She was a really good agent.