New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Christmas episode.

There had to be a christmas episode.

... And, "Scrooge" means different things on Christmas :-)
    And it wasn't yet another A Christmas Carol ripoff. It told its own unique story that pretty much just used the Carol attributes as a set-up. If it was "Scrooge has a time machine and Dewey is lost in the past", 90% of the episode would still work; you'd have to replace the monster, but this story could have been told without it being Christmas, but being on Christmas made it better in a way that 98% of Christmas stories fail to do.

All in all, it was way better than I'd have thought it could be. Kudos
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Plus it may have been a Christmas story, but it was full if Easter Eggs.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Troll in the Playground

I loved it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Young Donald's voice sounds exactly like the nephews from the original series. He even says 'Quackaroonie' at one point.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Troll in the Playground

I just hope it won't be as long as last year before they come back on air.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

5. - Top - End - #545
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Today's Phrase That Pays: "Emo Tween Donald".

OK, OK, it's really yesterday's but I only thought of it a couple minutes ago.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

6. - Top - End - #546

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    Plus it may have been a Christmas story, but it was full if Easter Eggs.
    Not sure I saw them, which were they?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

7. - Top - End - #547

Most were at the party. Captain Foghorn. The not quite square stone. Grandpa Beagle and the Original Beagle Boys. Such like.

That was one of the best Christmas episodes I've seen for any show in at least the last three years. For the record.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I loved it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Young Donald's voice sounds exactly like the nephews from the original series. He even says 'Quackaroonie' at one point.
    Spoiler: Spoiler in response
    Show
    That's because it was; Russi Taylor came back to Ducktales to voice him. Also, notice the end credits? They got the same artist who did the opening credits to Mickey's Christmas Carol to draw it.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

9. - Top - End - #549

Spoiler
    Show
    So, this was never made clear; was the ghost saying "When'd he go?" deliberately, or was he actually just saying "Wendigo"?
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

10. - Top - End - #550

EvilClericGuy

Given the puns at that point, When.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, this was never made clear; was the ghost saying "When'd he go?" deliberately, or was he actually just saying "Wendigo"?
    Spoiler: Of monsterous utterings
    Show
    Both. The former. The shift to "When'd he go?" was supposed to telegraph the reveal that the Wendigo was Pastie.

12. - Top - End - #552

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Spoiler: Of monsterous utterings
    Show
    Both. The former. The shift to "When'd he go?" was supposed to telegraph the reveal that the Wendigo was Pastie.
    I kind of assumed that, but at no point was it mentioned, so I was unsure.

13. - Top - End - #553

EvilClericGuy

Fridge Logic and Fridge Brilliance time!

Fridge Logic: Why was Cousin Feathery, the janitor, alone for months on an experimental Deep Sea research station?
    It makes no sense to not put scientists down there. Why build a lab and not staff it properly?

Fridge Brilliance: First episode Scrooge's boring board boardroom meeting -
    Vulture #1 "We are also cutting funding to unnecessary departments: Historical research, Experimental Tech, Deep Sea Exploration . . ."
    Scrooge: "Fantastic. . ."

14. - Top - End - #554

Just a reminder we get new Ducks first part of next month.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Troll in the Playground

Fridge Logic and Fridge Brilliance time!

Fridge Logic: Why was Cousin Feathery, the janitor, alone for months on an experimental Deep Sea research station?
    It makes no sense to not put scientists down there. Why build a lab and not staff it properly?

Fridge Brilliance: First episode Scrooge's boring board boardroom meeting -
    Vulture #1 "We are also cutting funding to unnecessary departments: Historical research, Experimental Tech, Deep Sea Exploration . . ."
    Scrooge: "Fantastic. . ."
    This is hardly the first time we see this. The second episode features a nearly empty lab where Gyro is the only one working (he later picks up an unpaid intern).

That episode Scrooge is fighting the vultures about the necessity of magical defenses for the money bin.

If you pay attention to the details in each boardroom meeting, there is a clear theme that McDuck enterprises is all about supporting and furthering Scrooge's adventures. That explains why he has departments dedicated to things like historical research and deep sea exploration. This makes sense, as all we see Scrooge doing is adventuring and bringing back hugely useful and valuable ancient artifacts, he clearly isn't spending time on widget making or the like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

16. - Top - End - #556

EvilClericGuy

new episodes coming next week (8 days!) According to my DVR
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2019-01-24 at 02:01 PM.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    If you pay attention to the details in each boardroom meeting, there is a clear theme that McDuck enterprises is all about supporting and furthering Scrooge's adventures. That explains why he has departments dedicated to things like historical research and deep sea exploration. This makes sense, as all we see Scrooge doing is adventuring and bringing back hugely useful and valuable ancient artifacts, he clearly isn't spending time on widget making or the like.
    I hyper agree with this on this version of Scrooge McDuck . Different versions of Scrooge McDuck have different motivations and things that energize them / bring them joy / why they live. 1) Scrooge in this version is only alive for adventure, 2) is drained if he can't have adventures, 3) the business exist to procure the energy / fuel / food / capital that is needed to do adventures or to figure out what is the next adventure, 4) Scrooge is super-bored with step #3 but he understands it is necessary for Step 1 and 2, aka he resents Step 3 somewhat while other versions of Scrooge are energized by business.

A) I am curious if we are going to see more earlier versions of Scrooge, not just for him doing adventures in the past, but instead B) are we going to see if Scrooge was always like this in business or if he changed throughout his life. People change in life, sometimes people are energized by tasks in our youth only to find them boring in adulthood and especially later adulthood, we climb the mountain and thus climbing is no longer exciting. Was business in the past for Scrooge an adventure in itself or was it just something that was a means to an end? Put another way.

When Scrooge saw the breadth of his business-domain, he wept for there were no more businesses to conquer.

(note this is a misunderstanding / mistranslated of Plutarch popularized by Reader's Digest, the original is translated more like this. Alexander wept when he heard Anaxarchus discourse about an infinite number of worlds, and when his friends inquired what ailed him, "Is it not worthy of tears," he said, "that, when the number of worlds is infinite, we have not yet become lords of a single one?")

I want to know if Scrooge used to feel "the hunt" and the excitement the accomplices the hunt with his previous business dealings.

-------

Sidenote after writting what I wrote above, I realized a great idea (in my mind) for a single episode. It would be glorious for us to have The Most Dangerous Game episode with Ducktales (2017) involve some magic where some former human, or perhaps a demon, is playing a most dangerous game hunting Scrooge and his family for the excitement of a challenging adversary.

Now at first look this is not age appropriate material for a child's show, but that is why you throw a little magic in it and suddenly it is age appropriate.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

18. - Top - End - #558

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post

Sidenote after writting what I wrote above, I realized a great idea (in my mind) for a single episode. It would be glorious for us to have The Most Dangerous Game episode with Ducktales (2017) involve some magic where some former human, or perhaps a demon, is playing a most dangerous game hunting Scrooge and his family for the excitement of a challenging adversary.

Now at first look this is not age appropriate material for a child's show, but that is why you throw a little magic in it and suddenly it is age appropriate.
    I'd watch it 100%.
    I mean, I'd watch all the episodes of Ducktales, but I'd super watch that one.

As for age appropriate content? Meh; they've had an entire episode dedicated to gambling, and their very first adventure into Atlantis had what was definitely an assassin or three, plus multiple straight-up murder attempts by Glomgold. Mount Neverest had someone die alone on the side of a mountain...
    I think it's been established that they have a knack for making things child-friendly.

19. - Top - End - #559

EvilClericGuy

new episodes coming next week (8 days!) According to my DVR
    So I am mad.

Two weeks ago, my DVR showed two new episodes of Ducktales to be recorded on the 1st and 2nd of this month. Well That didn't happen.

This is my one frustration with this series. they can't seem to communicate when new episodes will air. And I don't know who to direct my anger at. I've heard that Season 3 was going to start in March. I heard Season 2 was only taking December off and January would see new episodes. Then my DVR did its thing last weekend. And I honestly cannot find official word from Disney on when to expect the new episodes.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

So I am mad.

Two weeks ago, my DVR showed two new episodes of Ducktales to be recorded on the 1st and 2nd of this month. Well That didn't happen.

This is my one frustration with this series. they can't seem to communicate when new episodes will air. And I don't know who to direct my anger at. I've heard that Season 3 was going to start in March. I heard Season 2 was only taking December off and January would see new episodes. Then my DVR did its thing last weekend. And I honestly cannot find official word from Disney on when to expect the new episodes.
    I trusted you!

Meh, the next season was confirmed at least, even if no release date was given.

21. - Top - End - #561

EvilClericGuy

Seems to be a lot of word of mouth, but nothing concrete.
    Does this happen with other Disney shows?
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2019-02-06 at 11:25 PM.

22. - Top - End - #562

Oh, my yes. They absolutely suck at scheduling and advertising the schedule.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Troll in the Playground

Co-producer Frank Angeons tweeted this today.

Spoiler
    Show
    It shows three emjoi (a rocket, a duck and a full moon), then says "March 9th" followed by "#DuckTales."
    Last edited by JadedDM; 2019-02-09 at 08:48 PM.

24. - Top - End - #564

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Co-producer Frank Angeons tweeted this today.

Spoiler
    Show
    It shows three emjoi (a rocket, a duck and a full moon), then says "March 9th" followed by "#DuckTales."
    So, is that a reference to the finale, or just the second half?

25. - Top - End - #565
    Troll in the Playground

It's when the next episode comes out, so the second half.

26. - Top - End - #566

And Disney just put up a bunch of 'new episodes' on the upcoming programming part of the schedule, then later pulled them, and still doesn't have a new episode listed for the announced start date of 9 March. I'm beginning to wonder if the show is worth the hassle.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    And Disney just put up a bunch of 'new episodes' on the upcoming programming part of the schedule, then later pulled them, and still doesn't have a new episode listed for the announced start date of 9 March. I'm beginning to wonder if the show is worth the hassle.
    It is worth the hassle, but it may not be worth the hassle of seeing it in real time. It may be something you just want to binge with a digital tv subscription. Perhaps wait to watch ducktales till whatever Disney is lauching their netflix competitor.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

28. - Top - End - #568

EvilClericGuy

Truthfully I watch by recording my DVR. It is set to record the first airing of a new episode. Which is why I was annoyed last month when a new episode was scheduled and ten retracted.

As a side bonus, I like to watch reaction videos of people watching the series on youtube.
    my favs are
    Blue Order
    He's caught up. has funny nicknames for favorite characters Launchpad=Chad, Donald-Dolan, Magica/Lena=Demon

MattyTime
    He's behind a bit, finished episode 15 a while ago and hasn't loaded any new epsiodes.

LunarEclipse 09
    She's behind a season, just finished episode 14.

SmurfVlog
    unfortunately had a number of his videos taken down
    He started the series completely blind so the appearance of the Ghost Captain Peghook surprised him as much as it surprised Dewey.
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2019-02-27 at 04:52 PM.

29. - Top - End - #569

Update!

There is a new episode scheduled for Saturday March 9th, titled 'Whatever Happened To Della Duck?!'.

It doesn't show up on the DVR because they declared it a repeat. So you'll need to tag it for recording yourselves.

Man, Disney Execs must have incompetency as an At Will.

30. - Top - End - #570

EvilClericGuy

soon . . . .