The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 657
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Millstone85's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    After this second teaser, the series better have plenty of Donald.


  2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lost in the Hinterlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    They came out with a new opening theme for the 2017 Ducktales cartoon. It is fiendishly catchy and features some of the villains, some of whom I don't recognize from the original cartoon. From what I read on TV Tropes, the theme includes recreations of some famous images from Carl Banks' comics.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKSU82afy1w

    BTW, the series premieres in August.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-06-17 at 05:32 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kato's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    They came out with a new opening theme for the 2017 Ducktales cartoon. It is fiendishly catchy and features some of the villains, some of whom I don't recognize from the original cartoon. From what I read on TV Tropes, the theme includes recreations of some famous images from Carl Banks' comics.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKSU82afy1w

    BTW, the series premieres in August.
    New? Isn't it just a.. wel, not sure if remix is the right word... It's (mostly?) the same lyrics and about the same music but arranged differently? But I have a terrible ear, so I might be just recognizing a few parts and assuming it's a remix...
    "What's done is done."

    Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    New? Isn't it just a.. wel, not sure if remix is the right word... It's (mostly?) the same lyrics and about the same music but arranged differently? But I have a terrible ear, so I might be just recognizing a few parts and assuming it's a remix...
    It's a cover though the end bit is a little differant.

    I think they meant "New Opening" not "New Theme" or perhaps "new version of the theme."

    honestly I'd have had a fit if they'd replaced the theme entirely.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here.

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    They came out with a new opening theme for the 2017 Ducktales cartoon. It is fiendishly catchy and features some of the villains, some of whom I don't recognize from the original cartoon. From what I read on TV Tropes, the theme includes recreations of some famous images from Carl Banks' comics.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKSU82afy1w

    BTW, the series premieres in August.
    I saw some theory speculation elsewhere on the internet that since the intro seems to put a lot of focus on Scrooge's Number One Dime and yet there is a conspicuous lack of Magica De Spell anywhere in the intro that they might be saving her for a season finale or something big like that.
    Two by two, hands of blue.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    A question about the Duck family tree: so Huey, Dewie and Louie are the children of Donald's sister and Scrooge is their great uncle?
    My favorite head-canon is still that Huey, Dewie, and Louie's father is Howard the Duck. It certainly would explain why he's no longer around.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    My favorite head-canon is still that Huey, Dewie, and Louie's father is Howard the Duck. It certainly would explain why he's no longer around.
    Huh, I haven't heard of that one. I like it! :3


    I think they got Launchpad McQuack's character down about right.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lost in the Hinterlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    This is actually pretty funny.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-DqkLNDo0E
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Gotta say: David Tennant is really good as Scrooge, I love what they've done with Webby (Getting a real Mabel Pines vibe off of her...Actually, this whole production has a big Gravity Falls vibe..Not that i'm complaining that this is similar to one of the best American animated shows in recent years or, indeed, ever.), and I LOVE the animation style. Love it to bits. It's clear they're trying to go for a comic book sort of look and it is gorgeous. I, for one, am hyped to the moon.
    Last edited by woweedd; 2017-07-21 at 09:57 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Woo-oo!

    The first episode aired today. It was... wow. In a good way. As a fan of the Ducks, especially the classics by Barks or the Don Rosa comics, in other words one of the hardest kinds of fan to please when it comes to duck adaptations, I have to say... Are you kidding me? They went that far? They dug that deep? Bless me bagpipes, this one just knocked it way out of the park for me.

    Spoiler: Woo-oo (Yes that's the episode title)
    Show
    Della Duck. Daughter of Hortense and Quackmore. Sister of Donald. Mother of Huey, Dewey, and Louie. They went there.

    They're taking on the one mystery that no one has touched, and putting it right as the cliffhanger ending. What DID happen to Della? Is this why Donald and Scrooge had a falling out? Is this why Donald is overprotective of his nephews? What happened on the quest for the Spear of Selena?

    Well done Disney, you got me hooked. That's how you reboot a show. Too bad the next episode is over a month away now.

    Also Webby is fun in this one. So's Launchpad. Actually they all are. And keep your eyes and ear open for references to the McDuck clan, TaleSpin, the Goof Troop, and Darkwing Duck. Cape Suzette apparently has an air pirate problem. ...yes, I do want Don Carnage comment on Launchpad's flying now.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    What.

    Are you kidding me.

    Well, I need to watch it now.
    I solemnly swear,
    To devote my life and abilities,
    In defence of the United Nations of Earth,
    To defend the Constitution of Man,
    And to further the universal rights of all sentient life.
    From the depths of the pacific, to the edge of the galaxy.
    For as long as I shall live.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    What.

    Are you kidding me.

    Well, I need to watch it now.
    Yeah, you do. Also, Donald Duck is probably the best version of him yet. He's so close to the comics Donald... the adventurous family duck variant, that it's amazing. (Not the tech-based superhero with an AI partner and a star cruiser on the roof one, even if that'd be utterly amazing to see adapted, too.)

    Also about that spoiler I posted, there was a tweet from one of the showrunners reminding us about the lyrics for the theme song. "Solve a mystery. Rewrite history." Hm, indeed.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    What.

    Are you kidding me.

    Well, I need to watch it now.
    You'll have plenty of opportunities. Disney XD will be playing reruns at least 20 times this week.

    The sad news is that there won't be another episode for a month and a half.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    Yeah, you do. Also, Donald Duck is probably the best version of him yet. He's so close to the comics Donald... the adventurous family duck variant, that it's amazing. (Not the tech-based superhero with an AI partner and a star cruiser on the roof one, even if that'd be utterly amazing to see adapted, too.)

    Also about that spoiler I posted, there was a tweet from one of the showrunners reminding us about the lyrics for the theme song. "Solve a mystery. Rewrite history." Hm, indeed.
    Yeah, but, you know. Over here in Europe, we've had weekly and monthly Disney comics for 50 years. As far as I know (and it's been 20 years since I last read a Duck comic), they never went there. This is big.
    I solemnly swear,
    To devote my life and abilities,
    In defence of the United Nations of Earth,
    To defend the Constitution of Man,
    And to further the universal rights of all sentient life.
    From the depths of the pacific, to the edge of the galaxy.
    For as long as I shall live.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Extinguisher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    3 inches from yesterday
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    I never really got into the original Ducktales, it was slightly before my time, but I had a lot of fun with this. The characters seem varied and interesting and Im definitely going to watch more of it.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music if folk-punk is your thing

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Yeah, but, you know. Over here in Europe, we've had weekly and monthly Disney comics for 50 years. As far as I know (and it's been 20 years since I last read a Duck comic), they never went there. This is big.
    I know. Despite all the crazy Donald Duck stories we get in comics over here, we never went there. We have Superhero Donald. We have Secret Agent Donald. We have all kinds of normal Donald stories. And they never went there. The new Ducktales goes there with such ease it makes everyone go "Wait, yeah. Why hasn't anyone gone there before?!" This is going to be interesting to see what to do with.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    And it looks like the first episode is on Google Play Store for free. Going to watch it now.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberrian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Also on Youtube. (Certain viewing areas may apply)
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

    Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground
     
    JadedDM's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Despite my high expectations for this show, the actual pilot episode still managed to blow them out of the water. This is far better than I had even hoped it would be.

    Spoiler: Episode 1 - "Woo-oo"
    Show
    Did anyone else hear one of the (literal) vultures in the meeting with Scrooge at the very beginning namedrop St. Canard, the city Darkwing Duck lives in?

    I love everything about the new Webby. Not just how she is portrayed, but how the show treats her and how the other characters treat her (she is not 'the load' and the nephews more or less immediately accept her, instead of the whole 'eww, girls!' shtick).

    The entire scene of Donald showing pictures of his nephews to Glomgold's mercenaries was friggin' adorable.

    Everything with Launchpad was pure gold.

    Glomgold's weird obsession with being 'more Scottish' than Scrooge. "I'm wearing a kilt!"

    And then the very finale when Dewey takes a closer look at that painting:
    Spoiler: Super Spoilers
    Show
    Dewey: "...Mom?"


    Also, fun fact, Jennifer Hale played Gabby McStabberson.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Despite my high expectations for this show, the actual pilot episode still managed to blow them out of the water. This is far better than I had even hoped it would be.

    Spoiler: Episode 1 - "Woo-oo"
    Show
    Did anyone else hear one of the (literal) vultures in the meeting with Scrooge at the very beginning namedrop St. Canard, the city Darkwing Duck lives in?

    I love everything about the new Webby. Not just how she is portrayed, but how the show treats her and how the other characters treat her (she is not 'the load' and the nephews more or less immediately accept her, instead of the whole 'eww, girls!' shtick).

    The entire scene of Donald showing pictures of his nephews to Glomgold's mercenaries was friggin' adorable.

    Everything with Launchpad was pure gold.

    Glomgold's weird obsession with being 'more Scottish' than Scrooge. "I'm wearing a kilt!"

    And then the very finale when Dewey takes a closer look at that painting:
    Spoiler: Super Spoilers
    Show
    Dewey: "...Mom?"


    Also, fun fact, Jennifer Hale played Gabby McStabberson.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not just Saint Canard: The Vultures also mentioned Spoonerville, the town Goofy lived in in Gooftroop, and Dewey mentions Cape suzzette--the setting of Tailspin--as wehre the nephews were planning to take the House Boat while Donald was out.

    Spoiler: Double Spoilers
    Show

    Considering that we've got confimration that Darkwing Duck will beplaying a role in season 1 and that we've seen concept art that looks an awful lot like the ship of the Sky Pirates from Tailspin.... I'm wondering if this isn'tgoing to be a mothership for a relaucnh of the Disney Afternoon.


    As form Glomgold. This is a character who originally apeared in the comics, and there he was an Afrikaner--A south african of European decent. The original Ducktails made him Scottish instead. As the New Ducktails is combining elements from both Cartoon and Comics, my take away is that Glomgold isn't actually Scottish but is pretending to be to outdo Scrooge.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here.

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reddish Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Chi
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler: Double Spoilers
    Show

    Considering that we've got confimration that Darkwing Duck will beplaying a role in season 1 and that we've seen concept art that looks an awful lot like the ship of the Sky Pirates from Tailspin.... I'm wondering if this isn'tgoing to be a mothership for a relaucnh of the Disney Afternoon.


    As form Glomgold. This is a character who originally apeared in the comics, and there he was an Afrikaner--A south african of European decent. The original Ducktails made him Scottish instead. As the New Ducktails is combining elements from both Cartoon and Comics, my take away is that Glomgold isn't actually Scottish but is pretending to be to outdo Scrooge.[/SPOILER]
    Spoiler: Comics vs Cartoon
    Show
    I keep hearing how this reboot is combining elements from both Cartoon and Comics, particularly from this guy. However, I haven't seen or heard confirmation of a lot of real takings from the comics. The top differences are: Scrooge starts ornery (but quickly softens), the triplets have clearly distinct personalities and voices, Webby is different and awesome, and Donald Duck is present, and a decent adventurer.

    I understand that Donald is more like he is in the comics. There's also a claim some of the new aesthetics (scrooge's coat, Donald's boat) are lifted from the comic.

    My understanding of Scrooge, however, is that he was ornery and extra-miserly in the comics but they softened him for TV, and that over-the-top of misanthropy and distance from the family doesn't seem like it would transfer to TV, nor are they doing it.

    That just leaves the triplets, which I understand are basically built from scratch here (apparently heavily influenced by birth order stereotypes, Huey is firstborn, Dewey is the middle child, Louie is the youngest).

    So as far as taking from the comics, other than a more adventurous Donald Duck, what else can be confirmed?

    The cartoon includes a lot of characters (Webby) that are from the TV show. Glomgold works better as Scottish as a better contrast to Scrooge.

    I don't know much about the comics, but what I'm hearing is more consistent with a TV reboot and revamp, with just a very few elements taken from the comics, then any sort of fusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

    Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Spoiler: Comics vs Cartoon
    Show
    I keep hearing how this reboot is combining elements from both Cartoon and Comics, particularly from this guy. However, I haven't seen or heard confirmation of a lot of real takings from the comics. The top differences are: Scrooge starts ornery (but quickly softens), the triplets have clearly distinct personalities and voices, Webby is different and awesome, and Donald Duck is present, and a decent adventurer.

    I understand that Donald is more like he is in the comics. There's also a claim some of the new aesthetics (scrooge's coat, Donald's boat) are lifted from the comic.

    My understanding of Scrooge, however, is that he was ornery and extra-miserly in the comics but they softened him for TV, and that over-the-top of misanthropy and distance from the family doesn't seem like it would transfer to TV, nor are they doing it.

    That just leaves the triplets, which I understand are basically built from scratch here (apparently heavily influenced by birth order stereotypes, Huey is firstborn, Dewey is the middle child, Louie is the youngest).

    So as far as taking from the comics, other than a more adventurous Donald Duck, what else can be confirmed?

    The cartoon includes a lot of characters (Webby) that are from the TV show. Glomgold works better as Scottish as a better contrast to Scrooge.

    I don't know much about the comics, but what I'm hearing is more consistent with a TV reboot and revamp, with just a very few elements taken from the comics, then any sort of fusion.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Opening has several recreations of famous Duck Comics adventures, Scrooge's design is lifted directly from the comics, as is Donald's outfit, several of the paintings in the Manor are actually drawings by Carl Barks--in particular "Always an other Rainbow" is prominent in the background
    when Scrooge and the nephews are first walking into the house--and Scrooge's line, "I'm scrooge McDuck. I made my name by being tougher than the toughies and smarter than the smarties" is taken directly from the comics, as is his claim that he made his fortune "square," and, to my knowledge, these have only ever been uttered in the comics until now.

    Also, a previw clip has him explain that he can swim in gold becuase he's built up the strength and relfexes to do so over the cough of a lifetime, and a thing that comes up in the comics--especially in the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck by Don Rosa, that a lifetime of adventure has brought Scrooge's physical atributes to near super human levels.

    Also, there's the comic book format of the opening, as well as the fact that certain bits of comic book art techniques are used in the art design for the show--at the begining of the pilot you can evn see the shading dots in the cloud.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here.

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  23. - Top - End - #53

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...and Scrooge's line, "I'm scrooge McDuck. I made my name by being tougher than the toughies and smarter than the smarties" is taken directly from the comics, as is his claim that he made his fortune "square," and, to my knowledge, these have only ever been uttered in the comics until now.
    Spoiler: Quotations
    Show
    Nope. The 'tougher than the toughies and smarter than the smarties' line was in the original cartoon too.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reddish Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Chi
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Opening has several recreations of famous Duck Comics adventures, Scrooge's design is lifted directly from the comics, as is Donald's outfit, several of the paintings in the Manor are actually drawings by Carl Barks--in particular "Always an other Rainbow" is prominent in the background
    when Scrooge and the nephews are first walking into the house--and Scrooge's line, "I'm scrooge McDuck. I made my name by being tougher than the toughies and smarter than the smarties" is taken directly from the comics, as is his claim that he made his fortune "square," and, to my knowledge, these have only ever been uttered in the comics until now.

    Also, a previw clip has him explain that he can swim in gold becuase he's built up the strength and relfexes to do so over the cough of a lifetime, and a thing that comes up in the comics--especially in the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck by Don Rosa, that a lifetime of adventure has brought Scrooge's physical atributes to near super human levels.

    Also, there's the comic book format of the opening, as well as the fact that certain bits of comic book art techniques are used in the art design for the show--at the begining of the pilot you can evn see the shading dots in the cloud.
    Spoiler: Comic Aesthetics
    Show
    Anyr notes the line was in the original cartoon. What that leaves is that the overall aesthetics, and some frames of the cartoon itself, are lifted from the comics. We also get Donald Duck adventurousness and potentially Scrooge's superhuman strength and endurance (so far that's a throwaway line, but I believe Scrooge isn't the only one that swam in gold in the original).

    It appears we will get more from the comics as time goes on. However, it seems to me that overall, this is an adaption and updated revision of the original cartoon with aspects of the comics thrown in. It is in no sense a return to the comics nor should we expect to see too many places where they will jettison the old cartoon in favor of the comics. We should expect Ducktales to go forward with a richer, more 2017, treatment of Ducktales (i.e. Webby) more often than it looks backwards to comics with "Scrooge McDuck" in its name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

    Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    I liked the first episode. Still not a fan of the art, which is in all ways inferior to the previous version. Bit annoyed with the triplets, especially Dewey, who makes me want to smack him every time he does or says anything.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JoshL's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Loved it! Got used to the character designs, because everything else in the show is absolutely gorgeous! I did want to comment on the updated theme song: it is perfect. Updates the original (which while iconic is very very dated sounding) with only a few moments of "up to the minute" contemporary sounds, so it'll probably age a bit better, while at the same time not changing the structure or melody of the song at all. Well done and I might even like it a little bit better than the original!

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Strigon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    This is something that I've been aware of for a long time, but never bothered looking into until I watched the first episode tonight.

    I never actually got to see the original Ducktales, so speaking as someone who lacks the rose-tinted goggles, that was... pretty freaking great, actually. All things considered, it made me something approaching giddy, which is impressive.
    I don't mind the aesthetic, except for Huey, Dewey and Louie who look a bit... peculiar. They also don't sound as much like kids as I'm used to. But, all in all, those probably fall under the category of things I don't like at first but will eventually become super attached to.

    Was the original Ducktales as good as that? Because if so, I've got my next show to binge.
    Also, I heard tell of a comic...?
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Was the original Ducktales as good as that? Because if so, I've got my next show to binge.
    It you're asking people with rose-tinted glasses, then yes. Give it a try.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Also, I heard tell of a comic...?
    The comics are complicated. Disney never did that much with them, from what I can tell, but there's a few classic large albums of Duck comics. Look for the names "Carl Barks" and "Don Rosa".

    Then Europe fell in love and absolutely ran with it. In many European countries, Duck comics are huge. I know Italy, Germany, Sweden and I think Spain all have their own regular comic series. Germany puts out a 300ish page comic book with duck comics every month and a few weekly and bi-weekly magazines. When I was a kid, I read them religiously.

    Canon in these comics is quite loose. The original Carl Barks comics are pretty classic pulp in tone and scope, while the European comics went... everywhere. Donald and Co have time-travelled, gone to other universes, replaced the cast of Star Wars, discovered three dozen lost civilization, saved the universe from evil magic hundreds of times and I'm pretty sure by now all of them have been superheroes at one point or another.
    Canon is very, very loose. Except for a few very broad character traits and names, there really isn't any. Stories start wherever they need to, towns and places are different in every story as are family relationships.

    I honestly couldn't say if any of it is interesting for an adult, it's been almost 20 years since I last really cared.

    Edit, okay, ore needs to be said about Carl Barks, because the man is a legend. He was basically the Lee or Kirby of comics, in one. He invented every character in this series other than Donald Duck himself. I'm pretty sure he did the first Disney comic book, as opposed to cartoon and more or less on his own invented the idea of the Ducks going on adventures.

    He's also cited as one of hte main inspirations behind Indiana Jones. And astro boy, so all of Manga. And he's won just about every comic book award.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2017-08-16 at 03:06 AM.
    I solemnly swear,
    To devote my life and abilities,
    In defence of the United Nations of Earth,
    To defend the Constitution of Man,
    And to further the universal rights of all sentient life.
    From the depths of the pacific, to the edge of the galaxy.
    For as long as I shall live.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •