New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

Iirc her main character trait was being the easily fooled adult figure that made it possible for the trips to escape and go on adventure. She wasnt an idiot, its just she was the barrier to them joining the plot.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    I'm kind of cynical about a kid misunderstanding something as definitive as a parenting style. It's also not really a matter of intention so much as observed practice. Webby has never eaten a hamburger and has no friends despite living in a major city. She also displays signs (or at least the modern television stereotype of awkward enthusiasm) of someone relatively unsocialized who hasn't interacted with peers before. For a preteen, that's extremely sheltered. Regardless of the intention, Grandma seriously needed to course correct here and took the opportunity.
    The evidence that Ms. Beaksley is highly overprotective is pretty high: from what we know of Webby's background, her role in the prior series, and, while she has been very willing to correct Scrooge if she perceives his behavior as inappropriate, she made no attempt to save the boys from being locked up.

On the other hand, she has no qualms with the triplets or Webby being on adventures as long as their with Uncle Scrooge, so, either she trusts Scrooge completely, or she simply requires basic parental guidance.

However, for Webby, Ms. Beaksley has a job and Scrooge doesn't want children underfoot, so that means Webby always stays out of sight and near-at-hand in the manor.

I think this is going to translate for the triplets, and Webby, during the series, that Ms. Beaksley is going to be strict to the children when she is in front of them, and will enforce Scrooge's edicts as well, but she will be easily distracted by her duties or other events.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember Ms. Beakly has been training Webby for this. She wanted her to have adventures and fun. She just didn't quite think that she was ready for them yet. But Webby is trained, moreso than anyone other than Scrooge and Donald out of the group to handle these situations.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Remember Ms. Beakly has been training Webby for this. She wanted her to have adventures and fun. She just didn't quite think that she was ready for them yet. But Webby is trained, moreso than anyone other than Scrooge and Donald out of the group to handle these situations.
    So rewatching the two (or is it one) episodes so far released:

Ms. Beakly is the one who takes Donald's call and arranges the meeting between Scrooge and his nephews. She also orders Scrooge to talk with them.

She enforces Scrooge's rule that they stay in the room, but gives them the marbles the nephews immediately use to remove the door handle. It is a question whether Scrooge gave them the marbles (he mentions them as something he thinks kids are into) or Ms. Beakly did. If the latter, Ms. Beakly would know full well that kids don't play with marbles and so she likely figured what the kids would actually use them for (smashing the door).

This alongside with Beakly's ok to Webby at the end of the Atlantis adventure suggests a much more permissive figure then Webby's suggestion she never ate a hamburger or had friends imply.

Together, Ms. Beakly seems inconsistent as a parental figure. It seems like she can be strict or permissive on a dime, as the plot requires.

How she interacts with Webby, training her for adventure, telling her she has "everything she needs" in the manor, and letting her out with Scrooge, suggests she is distant and distracted as a parent. She can be strict, but is not consistent.

It is interesting how Donald's parenting style is going to look like. He won't let the kids stay on the house-boat without a life vest, but now they are living in the manor!

My guess is that all the adults are going to be inconsistent! Incredibly permissive in many ways, but the three adults are going to lay down the rules whenever the kids trip their wires (then forgive and forget when the kids perform an end run around the rules).
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Scrooge's vault has got me thinking, I wonder how much it would cost to fill a swimming pool with colloidal gold
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #96

Depends. How big is the pool, and how dense are you making the colloidal gold? You'll probably also need a special filtration system.

7. - Top - End - #97

Is this still a thing? I haven't seen any more episodes.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Is this still a thing? I haven't seen any more episodes.
    It is. They released the pilot a month or two ahead of the official season start because they hate us for reasons. Sometime this month, though, the other episodes will start coming out.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

9. - Top - End - #99

Weekend after next episodes three and four drop.

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Weekend after next episodes three and four drop.
    Three and four? Are you counting the double-length pilot as two?

Omegaupdate Forum

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Three and four? Are you counting the double-length pilot as two?
    It's two individual episodes so yes.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground

Anyone else have any thoughts on the most recent episodes?
    I, for one, thought they were fantastic, but I now have an entirely different theory as to why Mrs. Beakley doesn't let Webby out.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

I loved them both. I was surprised to hear Margo Martindale's voice for Ma Beagle. (I wonder if that's why she didn't appear in Bojack season 4? Because she was busy with this show?)

I also liked the ending of the third episode, which dropped some pretty big hints about...

Spoiler
    Show
    Gizmoduck

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I loved them both. I was surprised to hear Margo Martindale's voice for Ma Beagle. (I wonder if that's why she didn't appear in Bojack season 4? Because she was busy with this show?)

I also liked the ending of the third episode, which dropped some pretty big hints about...

Spoiler
    Show
    Gizmoduck
    So about that spoiler character you brought up JadeDM...stuff unrevealed in episodes 1, 2, and 3...we know something key about it due to breaking the 4th wall and marketing.
    Spoiler: Spoiler about a future Ducktales character from Disney's Marketing
    Show

https://twitter.com/DuckTales/status...g-ducktales%2F

DuckTales ‏Twitter account, Verified account
    @DuckTales
    10:05 AM - 19 May 2017
    1,964 Retweets 7,115 Likes

BLATHERING BLATHERSKITE!!! Lin-Manuel Miranda is gearing up to play #Gizmoduck on #DuckTales! Woo-oo!

Aka the guy who created the Hamilton musical and decided to star in it is coming to DuckTales as Gizmoduck. If you are not familiar Lin Manuel Miranda has been working with Disney since 2014 on several things, such as co-wrote several of the songs in Moana, currently filming the Mary Poppin Sequel, Mary Poppins Returns, and Lin is working with Alan Menken (songwritter for most Disney movies of the Disney Renaissance of the 90s) for the music of the planned future movie the live action Little Mermaid.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2017-09-25 at 02:57 AM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

The latest episode answered why a certain character wasn't in the original series:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bad things happen to people who ask about Della Duck.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2017-09-26 at 04:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Best comment episode 3!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Look, they are all mad as loons, and if you fire them they will definitly seek revenge
    That was purely hilarious. Though i am a little sad at how drastically they changed Gyros character. The only thing left is the genius bit.

thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I don't normally get this enthusiastic about cartoon characters but Webby is my precious gremlin of a daughter and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

Also Ma Beagle's voice is perfect.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Absolutely loving this reboot, it's staying quite true to the original, while expanding on it and making changes where they need to be. Best of all, It's giving me something to bond over with my youngest daughter, she loves it, and now wants to watch all the original series as well :).

19. - Top - End - #109
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I don't know, it's kind of disconcerting to hear Principal Slimovitz (from Randy Cunningham, Ninth Grade Ninja) as Gyro Gearloose. I kept expecting him to shout "My Car!!"
    Last edited by brionl; 2017-09-26 at 11:19 PM.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

The new episodes have pretty much confirmed my initial impression.
    * art is not that good and animation is meh
    * Donald is perfect and a joy to watch
    * HDL are not that fun. I don't like the different personalities and the looks and the understandable voices. I did not like the Quack Pack and these seem far close to those than to the original DT
    * Webby...I can definitely see why they changed her the way they did. Not a fan but I agree with the choice.
    * do not like what they did with Beakly. Again, the need to have strong, competent female characters vs. messing with established character traits

On the whole, enjoyable and I'll keep watching but so far I like the original better.
    Last edited by BWR; 2017-09-26 at 11:35 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Final gag of Great Dime Chase
    Show
    I kinda hope Louie gets the dime back (again) and it becomes something of a motivation, just like Scrooge. Probably not though, it's most likely just a gag.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    The new episodes have pretty much confirmed my initial impression.
    * art is not that good and animation is meh
    * Donald is perfect and a joy to watch
    * HDL are not that fun. I don't like the different personalities and the looks and the understandable voices. I did not like the Quack Pack and these seem far close to those than to the original DT
    * Webby...I can definitely see why they changed her the way they did. Not a fan but I agree with the choice.
    * do not like what they did with Beakly. Again, the need to have strong, competent female characters vs. messing with established character traits

On the whole, enjoyable and I'll keep watching but so far I like the original better.
    You make the comparison to quack pack and I think the comparison is a good one, but the thing is me and you are going to have to disagree...this feels like trying to do unique personality for the 3 HDL and doing it much better than quack pack which I feel has no redeeming qualities at all and was just FAILURE.

I can see where you are coming from, but I am giving points for this is interesting, even if this can be to another human beings not what I want. Aka a different style of ducktales does not have to be bad for it is not like the original and it is not its own projection, it can just be different and different can be good.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Personally, I'm willing to admit that I barely remember the original Ducktales, and I certainly don't remember any particular details about characters besides Scrooge, Launchpad, and Fenton "Gizmoduck" Crackshell. To me, all the kid characters are working off of a completely blank canvas of "unspeakably generic kid characters" in the original and so I don't really mind any changes. Beakley is similar to a lesser extent although she at least had an archetype of "fretful housekeeper/nanny" that stuck to the back of my mind.

That said I'm glad that the obvious happened and Donald has his official, unintelligible voice. It's nice to have one character sound like an actual duck, and changing an iconic voice style like that would just be weird.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2017-09-27 at 10:34 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I purchased the original Ducktales on Google Play, about a year and a half, two years ago. AAMOF, I just rewatched them all a couple of weeks before the premier of the new series. So I remember them pretty well.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

25. - Top - End - #115

To me, all the kid characters are working off of a completely blank canvas of "unspeakably generic kid characters" in the original and so I don't really mind any changes.
    Yeah, the kids were always one of the weakest points in the original series. Except for when you actually needed three people, the triplets could've been mashed into a single extra (not even the same extra each episode). And Webby was even more of a cypher.

I agree they needed Mrs Beakley to be less of a pastry puff, but they probably pushed too far the other way.

Anxiously awaiting Lin Manuel Miranda's arrival.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

I think Beakly's new personality makes a bit more sense, though. She'd have to be tough as nails to survive working for Scrooge. Her original personality, constantly fainting and screaming all of the time, kind of led one to wonder why she didn't just quit and find a better job.

As for Gyro, he is quite different now, but I don't mind. His old personality was kind of boring. He was basically just a bookish nerd.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

As for Gyro, he is quite different now, but I don't mind. His old personality was kind of boring. He was basically just a bookish nerd.
    He was likely the most friendly and helpful person in Duckburg. He casually broke the laws of nature in a afternoon, but was so humble and modest that he newer really thought anything about it.

The ONLY thing the new and the old version have in common is the name and the genius mind.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    He was likely the most friendly and helpful person in Duckburg. He casually broke the laws of nature in a afternoon, but was so humble and modest that he newer really thought anything about it.

The ONLY thing the new and the old version have in common is the name and the genius mind.
    Well, they've also got the obsessive belief that their technology will help the world, coupled with a refusal to look at potential disastrous results. This Gyro is just a lot more bitter about the end results of the whole process.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I think it's possible that Gyro's new personality would have suited Ludwig von Drake better, but in either case, my understanding is that Gyro was made more MAD SCIENCE!! to better differentiate him from the other professor and, googling it, von Drake's got the longer pedigree of "canon", so I guess he got to be the one to stick to the established character.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120

That said I'm glad that the obvious happened and Donald has his official, unintelligible voice. It's nice to have one character sound like an actual duck, and changing an iconic voice style like that would just be weird.
    As someone who spent his childhood with the comics (both American and European), but has never really watched any Disney cartoons, I'll just say I hate the voice. I can't take the character serious like that, I just have to pretend he's a different person.
    Resident Vancian Apologist