New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    As someone who spent his childhood with the comics (both American and European), but has never really watched any Disney cartoons, I'll just say I hate the voice. I can't take the character serious like that, I just have to pretend he's a different person.
    That's completely understandable. However, there would be outrage over here if the voice were made intelligible.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Well, they've also got the obsessive belief that their technology will help the world, coupled with a refusal to look at potential disastrous results. This Gyro is just a lot more bitter about the end results of the whole process.
    I mainly think that was due to a high degree of optimism. He just always imagined the most positive use of his inventions. And i could accepted that repeated failure could have turned him bitter. But i seriously dislike that he has been made so arrogant. That is a character murder.

I think it's possible that Gyro's new personality would have suited Ludwig von Drake better, but in either case, my understanding is that Gyro was made more MAD SCIENCE!! to better differentiate him from the other professor and, googling it, von Drake's got the longer pedigree of "canon", so I guess he got to be the one to stick to the established character.
    I honestly dont think it really fit Ludwig any better. But funny you mention it, as such he is not canon in the Carl Barks/Don Rosa stories that seems to have inspired this version.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: So, we got new informations on Donald's sister.
    Show
    * Her name is indeed Della, as in the comics.
    * She wasn't above playing a cruel joke on her brother.
    * She left a note where she apologizes for taking the Spear of Selune.
    Spoiler: I could still be right about her being...
    Show
    stuck on the Moon.
    But perhaps she wasn't transported there accidentally.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    As someone who spent his childhood with the comics (both American and European), but has never really watched any Disney cartoons, I'll just say I hate the voice. I can't take the character serious like that, I just have to pretend he's a different person.
    The vast divergence between American views on Disney Ducks and European view on Disney Ducks becomes once again apparent. For example, I can't ever imagine taking Donald Duck seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I honestly dont think it really fit Ludwig any better. But funny you mention it, as such he is not canon in the Carl Barks/Don Rosa stories that seems to have inspired this version.
    Looking at it, I think that the new cartoon isn't inspired specifically by any one thing but is a deliberate blend of Barks/Rosa comics, the 80's cartoon, and 2010's sensibilities about plot-heavy children's cartoons as exemplified by shows like Gravity Falls and Steven Universe (the former being the most relevant in tone, subject matter, and not being a pile of surrealist fairy tale weirdness for half a season before the plot kicks in).
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

New Episode and a reference to Sumeria / Fertile Crescent.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    New Episode and a reference to Sumeria / Fertile Crescent.
    Not to mention a direct reference to

Spoiler
    Show
    Magica De Spell

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Magica De Spell
    You see my goal was to tease without the spoiler block, to get people to watch the episode =P ... so we can then discuss it.

But yeah what you said in the spoiler block =D

8. - Top - End - #128
    Halfling in the Playground

Life is like a hurricane here in Duckburg. Racecars, lasers, aeroplanes, It's a duck-blur. Might solve a mystery, or rewrite history.
    T R A N S
    R I G H T S
    A R E
    H U M A N
    R I G H T S
    - someone who knows what's up

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

So apparently Disney is airing the episodes out of intended order for some reason. It did feel kinda odd that we got basically two Webby episodes in a row and haven't yet had a single episode centered on Huey.
    Two by two, hands of blue.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hands_Of_Blue View Post
    So apparently Disney is airing the episodes out of intended order for some reason. It did feel kinda odd that we got basically two Webby episodes in a row and haven't yet had a single episode centered on Huey.
    It appears do to seasonal stuff like one episode has snow in it so they moved it so it will air in winter and so on.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Magica De Spell
    So, is the character reinterpreted as a demon in this continuity?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

The latest episode does nothing to encourage me to watch the rest of the series. HDL are complete morons and useless. I see nothing of the Junior Woodchucks in them. The humor and story are, well, too modern, for lack of a better word. I'd need more time to think through exactly what it is about it that annoys me, but it isn't particularly funny or interesting. The variety of Beagles was not entertaining (but I didn't much like the old DT variety either: anything other than the clones is wrong). So far, Scrooge and Donald are the only truly good bits of the show, and this latest episode had neither.

13. - Top - End - #133

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    So, is the character reinterpreted as a demon in this continuity?
    Judging from the way they were referred to?
    Spoiler
    Show
    As "Auntie", I think it's more likely she was a normal magician that Scrooge somehow banished to the amulet.

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    As "Auntie", I think it's more likely she was a normal magician that Scrooge somehow banished to the amulet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Or she flubbed a curse spell again and was trapped temporarily 'somewhere'. That happened a couple times in the comics, since they aren't allowed to kill people.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Its not like one of those spoilered theories exclude the other in any way
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Remember from one of the first episodes of the 80s Ducktales

Spoiler
    Show
    It was revealed in the first episode of Magica De Spell introduction that the raven familiar of hers is actually her brother Poe De Spell who was cursed into a raven form. So why I am bringing this up, being cursed and trapped in the wrong form is something that has occurred before with Ducktales.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Or she flubbed a curse spell again and was trapped temporarily 'somewhere'. That happened a couple times in the comics, since they aren't allowed to kill people.
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be fair, we don't know that Magica is trapped in the pendant; it might just be Lena is using it to contact her. It's not like Magica was known for more modern forms of communication, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

So, now Webbie has a gal pal to hang around with. Good for her.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brionl View Post
    So, now Webbie has a gal pal to hang around with. Good for her.
    Regarding that
    Spoiler: S1E4 (in Disney order) Bad Girl
    Show
    Lena, the way she is introduced this episode, is definitely not "friend" material. She's more a trojan, but even leaving out Lena's secret agenda, Lena does everything a bad friend does: First, she takes Webby to a very dangerous place and right off the bat has Webby committing crimes for her. Second, Lena starts to cast shade on the triplets and tries to seperate Webby from them. Friends don't try to break-up other friendships.

Left on the list is endangering Webby to save herself and to derogate Webby in front of other's to make herself look good.

What Lena has done and shown is that she is not someone Webby should be hanging out with...and that's before she turns out the whole "friendship" was just a ruse to get Magica De Spell into McDuck Manor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

20. - Top - End - #140
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Regarding that
    Spoiler: S1E4 (in Disney order) Bad Girl
    Show
    Lena, the way she is introduced this episode, is definitely not "friend" material. She's more a trojan, but even leaving out Lena's secret agenda, Lena does everything a bad friend does: First, she takes Webby to a very dangerous place and right off the bat has Webby committing crimes for her. Second, Lena starts to cast shade on the triplets and tries to seperate Webby from them. Friends don't try to break-up other friendships.

Left on the list is endangering Webby to save herself and to derogate Webby in front of other's to make herself look good.

What Lena has done and shown is that she is not someone Webby should be hanging out with...and that's before she turns out the whole "friendship" was just a ruse to get Magica De Spell into McDuck Manor.
    Gosh, you're right. I totally missed all that and was not being sarcastic in the least.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

It's going to be interesting what happens with Lena. I recall the preview advertisements showed a scene where she and Mrs. Beakley was in the same room (or was it a cave) together. Lena might go on causing trouble, while ingratiating herself to Webby and the rest of the gang, for several episodes before the overarching plot is revealed. I wonder how that plot is going to go down and whether Lena will exit the show (unlikely) or evolve and take on a new role (but what sort of role?).
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

It's going to be interesting what happens with Lena. I recall the preview advertisements showed a scene where she and Mrs. Beakley was in the same room (or was it a cave) together. Lena might go on causing trouble, while ingratiating herself to Webby and the rest of the gang, for several episodes before the overarching plot is revealed. I wonder how that plot is going to go down and whether Lena will exit the show (unlikely) or evolve and take on a new role (but what sort of role?).
    Spoiler: My prediction
    Show
    While I love this reboot, I foresee this turning out in the same tired cliche that it always happens: Lena begins to truly grow fond of Webby and their friendship, and at the penultimate moment betrays Magica, dooming her to being trapped in the amulet again or whatever's going on with her at this moment. A 50/50 shot of it looking like Lena is going along with Magica all the way, causing Webby to be devastated, but it turns out she decided to betray her significantly before the actual crucial moment, and was just staying in the best possible place to ensure the betrayal goes off without a hitch.

Also, I have to imagine I'm not the only one who the very moment Webby points out the amulet thought "Magica", though in my case I couldn't quite remember her name, just the way she looked in the old cartoon ^^.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2017-10-07 at 01:49 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Firbolg in the Playground

I just remembered something. For the past couple years I've also heard rumors off and on about a Chip & Dale: Rescue Rangers reboot possibly being in the works as well; does anybody know if whether that's true or just wild speculation
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

24. - Top - End - #144

It was talked about, along with Talespin and Darkwing Duck. Right now, the chatter about Duck Tales is dominating, but there's been no mention of the others being dropped. At this point, I'd say Disney is in watch and wait mode. Plus, they're setting up their own streaming service soon, and may want a nostalgia rich series for dedicated content.

To Sum Up: Answer unclear, ask again later.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

New Episode and it is a Donald Duck Episode, plus another one of the Duckberg / Carl Barks family with Gladstone Gander. (Cousin to Donald Duck, thus Uncle once Removed for Huey, Dewey, and Louie Duck)

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Spoiler: My prediction
    Show
    While I love this reboot, I foresee this turning out in the same tired cliche that it always happens: Lena begins to truly grow fond of Webby and their friendship, and at the penultimate moment betrays Magica, dooming her to being trapped in the amulet again or whatever's going on with her at this moment. A 50/50 shot of it looking like Lena is going along with Magica all the way, causing Webby to be devastated, but it turns out she decided to betray her significantly before the actual crucial moment, and was just staying in the best possible place to ensure the betrayal goes off without a hitch.

Also, I have to imagine I'm not the only one who the very moment Webby points out the amulet thought "Magica", though in my case I couldn't quite remember her name, just the way she looked in the old cartoon ^^.
    Spoiler: Lena Rising: Moral of the Cliche
    Show
    Lena hasn't repeated her "bad friend" behavior in the Terror of the Terrafirmians episode. Instead, she convinces both Huey and Lena to both come with her on a dangerous adventure, flout Beakley's authority, and ignore "do not enter" and "danger" signs.

If it was only Webby, I would say that Lena Was further acting to seperate Webby and send her down the dark path. However, since Huey is prominently involved this seems more like the sort of innocent hijinks we should expect every third episode. Beakley's reconciliation with Lena in the end reinforces this.

It seems they are going with the cliche that Lena is the one becoming a better person thanks to her friends. This is an appealing direction, but I don't like how they move right past all the "bad friend" vibes Lena was giving off in her first episode.

Lena was earlier trying to corrupt and isolate Webby. In the very next episode (ignoring the Atlantis recap), Lena has moved right past that and her own family issues to start making friends with Webby's own family and friends.

So it does appear from the arc of things that Lena will ultimately undermine Magica, probably last minute, to save her new friends from imminent harm and then be forgiven for betraying them to Magica. I think that arc will ignore the depth of just how screwed up Lena is, and the potential of how bad she can make things even without Magica, but perhaps its for the better.

Lena is too appealing a character to be a simple cautionary tale of the sort of bad kid that the good kids should stay away from. Even considering that Lena is likely to be redeemed, I hold out the possibility that there may be more nuance to Lena's arc than playing out the tired cliche of friendship, betrayal, last-minute redemption, and forgiveness.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2017-10-15 at 10:00 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147

Spoiler: Lena Rising: Moral of the Cliche
    Show
    Lena hasn't repeated her "bad friend" behavior in the Terror of the Terrafirmians episode. Instead, she convinces both Huey and Lena to both come with her on a dangerous adventure, flout Beakley's authority, and ignore "do not enter" and "danger" signs.

If it was only Webby, I would say that Lena Was further acting to seperate Webby and send her down the dark path. However, since Huey is prominently involved this seems more like the sort of innocent hijinks we should expect every third episode. Beakley's reconciliation with Lena in the end reinforces this.

It seems they are going with the cliche that Lena is the one becoming a better person thanks to her friends. This is an appealing direction, but I don't like how they move right past all the "bad friend" vibes Lena was giving off in her first episode.

Lena was earlier trying to corrupt and isolate Webby. In the very next episode (ignoring the Atlantis recap), Lena has moved right past that and her own family issues to start making friends with Webby's own family and friends.

So it does appear from the arc of things that Lena will ultimately undermine Magica, probably last minute, to save her new friends from imminent harm and then be forgiven for betraying them to Magica. I think that arc will ignore the depth of just how screwed up Lena is, and the potential of how bad she can make things even without Magica, but perhaps its for the better.

Lena is too appealing a character to be a simple cautionary tale of the sort of bad kid that the good kids should stay away from. Even considering that Lena is likely to be redeemed, I hold out the possibility that there may be more nuance to Lena's arc than playing out the tired cliche of friendship, betrayal, last-minute redemption, and forgiveness.
    I remember someone saying the episodes would be released out of order; perhaps that's why the change is so sudden?
    I can't say for certain, because I don't know how out of order they actually are, but it might be the case that we see an awful lot of flip-flopping on this issue.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't think I've seen anything with Gladstone Gander since I was a little kid and had a copy of the picturebook Some Ducks Have All The Luck
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

29. - Top - End - #149

I remember someone saying the episodes would be released out of order; perhaps that's why the change is so sudden?

I can't say for certain, because I don't know how out of order they actually are, but it might be the case that we see an awful lot of flip-flopping on this issue.
    Considering that Disney is still figuring out how to air a series in sequential rather than episodic format, I'd say that's a given. In fact, we'll probably see a lot of flip-flopping on every issue. For instance, even by their own numbering system, next week's episode was supposed to air before this one.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Considering that Disney is still figuring out how to air a series in sequential rather than episodic format, I'd say that's a given. In fact, we'll probably see a lot of flip-flopping on every issue. For instance, even by their own numbering system, next week's episode was supposed to air before this one.
    As far as to whether we will see flip-flopping, or real continuity issues, that depends on how much of DuckTales episode content is sequential in nature. We see that the search for Della Duck, Lena's impending betrayal, are going to unfold over many episodes, but there might, maybe, be some real character growth meant for members of the main cast. If so, the out of order release schedule may cause more systemic viewing issues then a few subplots getting a bit muddled.

Incidentally, the "programming needs" that lead Disney to rearrange the shows turned out to be Holiday themes. I thought it was Beagle Boys Birthday Massacre, but perhaps it was also Terror of the Terrafirmians, that came out early, as October they wanted as many Halloweeny episodes on rerun as possible. Huey's introduction episode was pulled back to December (it has snow on the ground during it).

We don't know how that affects the rest of the season, since the original episode order (in fact I'm not sure even the title names) hasn't been released in full.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2017-10-16 at 01:26 PM.