The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 657
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    So this episodes being shown out of order has gotten more confusing.

    So while last week the US got to see an episode involving Gladstone Gander (The House of the Lucky Gander!) the Canadians instead saw an episode with Mark Beaks (The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks). Mark Beaks is a new character but he is is in the opening so you would have seen his appearance earlier if you were paying attention to every little detail in the opening.

    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    I've seen Gladstone before, in the old series and a few comics. I don't remember him being this much of a jerk before though.

    Hey! Twenty Bucks!
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Millstone85's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by brionl View Post
    I've seen Gladstone before, in the old series and a few comics. I don't remember him being this much of a jerk before though.

    Hey! Twenty Bucks!
    I have seen Gladstone in a lot of comics and I remember him being much worse than in this episode.

    Especially as Donald's rival over Daisy's heart. Made me wonder many times if he was only interested in her so he could make Donald even more miserable.

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground
     
    digiman619's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Spoiler: Future ideas
    Show
    According to what I'm reading on Reddit, Darkwing Duck is going to have a cameo during the Gizmoduck episode (which is supposed to be the first one once we get back from holiday hiatus). Am I the only one who's hoping that he won't show up to the very end of the episode, where he's wating in Fenton's home to give the "Nick Fury at the end of Iron Man 1" speech about S.H.U.S.H.?
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.
    Winner of MSE's Card of the Week #106 and #131
    Avatar by Coronalwave
    You can now bind me as a vestige!

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by brionl View Post
    I've seen Gladstone before, in the old series and a few comics. I don't remember him being this much of a jerk before though.

    Hey! Twenty Bucks!
    To the man's credit he's been locked up in a hellscape sucking his life away for an indeterminate amount of time. Dude can afford to be a little saucy.

    Anyway I watched all the episodes up and I'm really liking this show. I feel like for the most part their's no real "out of order"ness to it, though the changing opening showing villains we haven't seen yet and Canada getting a different episode early is...odd. But it's not a big deal as long as the meta plot isn't messed with, and it doesn't seem to be from my watching.

    Personal theory:
    Spoiler
    Show
    DeSpell isn't actually Lena's aunt and is more of an alternate personality caused by dark magics that her family told her was an Aunt to keep her from freaking out. She'll be a good guy later. Also, the Gizmoduck suit is going to be initially used for evil.


    Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    So episode order.

    US

    10 /14 The House of the Lucky Gander!

    10 / 21 The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks!

    Canada

    10 / 14 The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks!

    10 / 21 The House of the Lucky Gander!


    Aka they flipped and in other words there is no new content for English Speaking Countries that watch Ducktales via the internet via legal and illegal means.

    So to my understanding we are synchronized once again.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Personal theory:
    Spoiler
    Show
    DeSpell isn't actually Lena's aunt and is more of an alternate personality caused by dark magics that her family told her was an Aunt to keep her from freaking out. She'll be a good guy later. Also, the Gizmoduck suit is going to be initially used for evil.
    So talking LaZodiac's personal theory and developing it and putting a new spin.

    Spoiler: Spoilers for Terror of the Terra-Firmians! and The Beagle Birthday Massacre!
    Show

    So how would this theory come about how both Lena and Magica DeSpell? Like in the ancient past Magica DeSpell wished for immortality and instead of eternal life she got a cycle of reincarnation of multiple personalities in one body similar to the Avatar human being in Avatar the Last Airbender?

    Lena would definately be an Airbender! But what would Magica DeSpell be? A waterbender? A firebender?
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2017-10-22 at 02:02 AM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    So episode order.

    US

    10 /14 The House of the Lucky Gander!

    10 / 21 The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks!

    Canada

    10 / 14 The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks!

    10 / 21 The House of the Lucky Gander!


    Aka they flipped and in other words there is no new content for English Speaking Countries that watch Ducktales via the internet via legal and illegal means.

    So to my understanding we are synchronized once again.



    So talking LaZodiac's personal theory and developing it and putting a new spin.

    Spoiler: Spoilers for Terror of the Terra-Firmians! and The Beagle Birthday Massacre!
    Show

    So how would this theory come about how both Lena and Magica DeSpell? Like in the ancient past Magica DeSpell wished for immortality and instead of eternal life she got a cycle of reincarnation of multiple personalities in one body similar to the Avatar human being in Avatar the Last Airbender?

    Lena would definately be an Airbender! But what would Magica DeSpell be? A waterbender? A firebender?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean in the literal sense that Magicka is Lena's evil side and that's the end of it. That's the whole theory.


    Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reddish Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Chi
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean in the literal sense that Magicka is Lena's evil side and that's the end of it. That's the whole theory.
    Spoiler: Lena/Magicka
    Show
    In the comics Magica has a quite a few family members to draw on. Lena is a new character though. The easiest thing to do is to take Lena's talk about family and her aunt literally. It explains why Lena hates family so much, she doesn't just dislike her aunt but hated growing up among De Spells.

    The manner Magica appears does sugget she is some sort of ghost or spirit haunting Lena. Magica can't really be Lena's evil side without losing virtually all her earlier cartoon/comic characterisation, so that isn't likely. However, Magica could be in some sort of depowered state, which would explain why she


    I had a sudden realization for what could be behind the episode reordering that goes way beyond just making seasonal adjustments. Could this be an heavy-handedattempt to prevent Ducktales from moving to serialization?

    Seeing these episodes, individually they are nice, but they are just begging for the Gravity Falls treatment with a considerable amount of serialized elements (at the very least) in each episode. By messing with the episode order Disney is flat out making it impossible for the writers to do that. Serialization is out of the question if the episodes are being mixed up.

    There are good reasons to want to prevent this show from serialization: its harder to sell in syndication, its not so watchable in reruns, the target demographic is kids and families who may not be willing to watch each so consistently (or care to follow complex plots). However, it really harms the shows potential to run on a status quo basis.

    I for one, am more drawn by the prospect of seeing the Lena-plot and the hunt for Della Duck more than anything else they have running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

    Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean in the literal sense that Magicka is Lena's evil side and that's the end of it. That's the whole theory.
    Spoiler: Lena / DeSpell
    Show
    So if Magica DeSpell is just Lena's darker emotions / feelings / self identity why would she go to an island and talk to herself, and tell her dark shadow that she is in?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Spoiler: Lena / DeSpell
    Show
    So if Magica DeSpell is just Lena's darker emotions / feelings / self identity why would she go to an island and talk to herself, and tell her dark shadow that she is in?
    You're asking me why someone who's so partitioned off a part of themselves that you can describe it as "their dark half" would have to inform them of stuff.

    I'm just spitballing here, I don't think this is how it's going to go, but it could. And that's neat. I think my idea that Gizmoduck is going to initially be a villain is going to hold out though.


    Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Land of Stone and Stars

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that
    Spoiler: DeSpell
    Show
    A) Magica DeSpell actually comes off as intimidating.
    B) Magica DeSpell is voiced by Catherine Tate (Donna Noble in Doctor Who, alongside Tennant)
    C) Catherine Tate is managing to make Magica DeSpell come off as intimidating.

    Nothing against Tate, naturally. She's a talented actress, as her time as Donna gave her ample opportunity to prove. But even with the "Less is More" writing approach to the character and "Never Say Die" tone, it's kind of stunning to see a comedian take a character that came off like a bad Boris/Natasha ripoff and play her with deadly straight menace.


    Spoiler: Infernal Internship, emphasis on the Infernal
    Show
    This is the first one I've seen that I didn't really enjoy. There was no adventure or mystery beyond that placed on a character I simply didn't find likable. The internship was so trivialized as to be immaterial while the sabotage bit didn't carry any weight due to how Beaks reacted to it, such that the reveal not only didn't have any tension to break, it just rendered the whole thing aggravatingly pointless. The Glomgold/Scrooge teamup should have been comedy gold but was dragged down by Glomgold's long-windedness and Scrooge's apathy. Their parts should have been energetic and smooth, with both of them reveling in their scheme for their own reasons (Scrooge doesn't respect "easy" money while Glomgold doesn't like sharing the spotlight) before the betrayal and better man revelations split the duo apart... There was so much comic potential here, and none of it manifested. Kind of a pity, really. About the only part that somewhat interested me was the (pretty obvious when you think about it, since he's a duck) reveal that Glomgold's beard is fake, adding extra weight to the theory that Glomgold is only faking being Scottish in order to steal Scrooge's identity.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

    1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reddish Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Chi
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    You're asking me why someone who's so partitioned off a part of themselves that you can describe it as "their dark half" would have to inform them of stuff.

    I'm just spitballing here, I don't think this is how it's going to go, but it could. And that's neat. I think my idea that Gizmoduck is going to initially be a villain is going to hold out though.
    The problem with the dark-half theory is not so much that Lena has to go off alone to communicate with herself (although that is a bit odd), but that Magica De Spell is a very robust character with a large family and a great comic/previous series characterization.

    That character, the original Magica De Spell, would be not be around very much if she’s now really Lena.

    At most, Magica could be stuck in some sort of ghost-like state. She obviously needs Lena and can’t/won’t interact with anyone or do anything except talk to Lena.

    The Gizmoduck villainization, on the other hand, is definitely happening. So far, we heard him resenting his genius being cooped up, heard the vultures wanting to get rid of him, and we’re told all his inventions end up turning evil. However, I agree the villainous characterization is likely not going to stick, as that’s just not who Gizmoduck has ever been. Even in the episode, while they are throwing off signs, Gizmo ultimately tries to be helpful, and he’s most appealing when he’s simply being eccentric.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

    Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    I had a sudden realization for what could be behind the episode reordering that goes way beyond just making seasonal adjustments. Could this be an heavy-handedattempt to prevent Ducktales from moving to serialization?

    Seeing these episodes, individually they are nice, but they are just begging for the Gravity Falls treatment with a considerable amount of serialized elements (at the very least) in each episode. By messing with the episode order Disney is flat out making it impossible for the writers to do that. Serialization is out of the question if the episodes are being mixed up.

    There are good reasons to want to prevent this show from serialization: its harder to sell in syndication, its not so watchable in reruns, the target demographic is kids and families who may not be willing to watch each so consistently (or care to follow complex plots). However, it really harms the shows potential to run on a status quo basis.
    Disney doesn't do syndication. Duck Tales (or any other Disney show) will run on a Disney channel, the Disney app or the forthcoming Disney streaming service, and nowhere else. The more likely explanation is that the suits in charge of Disney productions still haven't made the conceptual leap from episodic to long-arc, let alone serialized. Kind of like Star Trek versus B5 a generation ago.

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    The Gizmoduck villainization, on the other hand, is definitely happening. So far, we heard him resenting his genius being cooped up, heard the vultures wanting to get rid of him, and we’re told all his inventions end up turning evil. However, I agree the villainous characterization is likely not going to stick, as that’s just not who Gizmoduck has ever been. Even in the episode, while they are throwing off signs, Gizmo ultimately tries to be helpful, and he’s most appealing when he’s simply being eccentric.
    Okay to clarify this just a bit: The gizmoduck suit is what I mean. I don't mean Gizmoduck the character will be evil. I'm saying Gearloose will make the suit, call himself the villain Blatherskite (because that's the name he wrote down on his notepad when he mentioned 'I become robot' ) and when he's defeated and put in jail the suit will be locked away and eventually be used by the actual guy who does the Gizmoducking.


    Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Okay to clarify this just a bit: The gizmoduck suit is what I mean. I don't mean Gizmoduck the character will be evil. I'm saying Gearloose will make the suit, call himself the villain Blatherskite (because that's the name he wrote down on his notepad when he mentioned 'I become robot' ) and when he's defeated and put in jail the suit will be locked away and eventually be used by the actual guy who does the Gizmoducking.
    blath·er·skite

    ˈblaT͟Hərˌskīt/

    noun

    • a person who talks at great length without making much sense.
    • foolish talk; nonsense.


    "politicians get away all the time with their blatherskite"



    Is the saying you use to summon the Gizmoduck armor to become Gizmoduck.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reddish Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Chi
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Okay to clarify this just a bit: The gizmoduck suit is what I mean. I don't mean Gizmoduck the character will be evil. I'm saying Gearloose will make the suit, call himself the villain Blatherskite (because that's the name he wrote down on his notepad when he mentioned 'I become robot' ) and when he's defeated and put in jail the suit will be locked away and eventually be used by the actual guy who does the Gizmoducking.
    Other than mixing up the name Gyro with Gizmo, I see where you are going. Gyro Gearloose will likely be a villain at some point.

    The Gizmoduck suit makes sense for him to make, since he made it in the past installments. I thought he wrote this down in his notebook he would make such a suit.

    Now that you mention he wrote “I become robot” and “Blatherskite” that confirms it. Blatherskite is the activation code for the Gizmoduck suit.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2017-10-23 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

    Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    blath·er·skite

    ˈblaT͟Hərˌskīt/

    noun

    • a person who talks at great length without making much sense.
    • foolish talk; nonsense.


    "politicians get away all the time with their blatherskite"



    Is the saying you use to summon the Gizmoduck armor to become Gizmoduck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Other than mixing up the name Gyro with Gizmo, I see where you are going. Gyro Gearloose will likely be a villain at some point.

    The Gizmoduck suit makes sense for him to make, since he made it in the past installments. I thought he wrote this down in his notebook he would make such a suit.

    Now that you mention he wrote “I become robot” and “Blatherskite” that confirms it. Blatherskite is the activation code for the Gizmoduck suit.
    I thought blathering blatherskite was just his catchprase. It's been awhile.

    My point is, "Blatherskite" actually sounds like a cool villain name, so DUCK VERSION OF RICK BECAUSE I'M SICK AND CAN'T GET HIS NAME RIGHT EVER is going to make an robot suit, and it'll go to THE GOOD DUCK BOY to become Gizmoduck as we know him, after he gets defeated.


    Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I thought blathering blatherskite was just his catchprase. It's been awhile.

    My point is, "Blatherskite" actually sounds like a cool villain name, so DUCK VERSION OF RICK BECAUSE I'M SICK AND CAN'T GET HIS NAME RIGHT EVER is going to make an robot suit, and it'll go to THE GOOD DUCK BOY to become Gizmoduck as we know him, after he gets defeated.
    I am not telling you to stop LaZodiac, I am not writting any novels or manga, but you are like both the wood and the gasoline that get my mental fires alight and I just feel the urge of writting or brainstorming ideas of writing on stuff like tv shows, manga, and so on.

    I am just trying to provide you information, history, and knowledge if I sometimes possess anything in field X, such as different mythologies, history, analogies and metaphorical archetypes and so on.

    ----

    Its been a while for me to. I was only 4 and a half when the original Ducktales 1987 to 1990 stopped airing new episodes. I remember some episodes due to reruns and vhs but not a lot of the 100 episodes and 1 movie. I remember Darkwing Duck a little better which was 1991 to 1992 for new content, and afterwards went into syndication and reruns.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    I'm just making sure my point is clear because I'm fairly sick right now. I'm glad that I set you on fire.


    Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Land of Stone and Stars

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Other than mixing up the name Gyro with Gizmo, I see where you are going. Gyro Gearloose will likely be a villain at some point.

    The Gizmoduck suit makes sense for him to make, since he made it in the past installments. I thought he wrote this down in his notebook he would make such a suit.

    Now that you mention he wrote “I become robot” and “Blatherskite” that confirms it. Blatherskite is the activation code for the Gizmoduck suit.
    But... is there no chance that it's a simple in-joke? The mop-top, sweet and friendly Gyro from '87 was as nice a guy as you could hope to meet, but he was responsible for a lot of well intentioned inventions that went evil, to such a degree that video games needing a villain weren't above just blaming him for the robot villain of the day once in a while. Also fun to note is that the '87 show wasn't nearly as interested in the process of the change as the new show (unstable robot + a vague directive + comments granting autonomy + mistreatment = robot trying to achieve directive however they see best, i.e. "Find dimes, wherever they may be.").

    The reorientation of Gyro from Geppetto-like father figure to arrogant and socially awkward genius is a pretty spot-on modernization of his role, reflecting our current expectations of the trope. So, while I don't think he's going to be evil, I do think he's going to remain a jackass.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

    1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reddish Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Chi
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    But... is there no chance that it's a simple in-joke? The mop-top, sweet and friendly Gyro from '87 was as nice a guy as you could hope to meet, but he was responsible for a lot of well intentioned inventions that went evil...

    The reorientation of Gyro from Geppetto-like father figure to arrogant and socially awkward genius is a pretty spot-on modernization of his role, reflecting our current expectations of the trope. So, while I don't think he's going to be evil, I do think he's going to remain a jackass.
    In isolation, Gyro's inventions all going evil could be a one-off joke. However, Gyro is introduced as resenting being isolated in the money bin and the fact that Scrooge McDuck doesn't release any of his inventions! What's more, the board is pushing for Gyro to be cut loose. Basically, when they introduced Gyro they introduced him with the perfect set up for a fall that begs to be exploited.

    Louie makes some use of Gyro's ambitions later, but Louie doesn't play up on Gyro's resentment. Basically, we have a loose thread, begging to be pulled.

    Gyro ends the episode with the suggestions of Gizmoduck suit, which has the same ring of foreshadowing as the first episode, that ends with a hint about Della Duck. It certainly doesn't seem like a throw-away joke. We know Gyro is the one to actually make the Gizmoduck suit.

    When you put the two together the only logical conclusion is that Gyro will create the Gizmoduck suit and become an evil robot the next time we see him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

    Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Friv's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Yeah, I agree.

    It will probably not be a deliberate thing - the power of the suit will affect him in some way, or he'll lose control of it from inside - but I expect Gyro to have a turn as the villain of the episode. Probably in a way that allows him to come back to the fold at the end.

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    The reorientation of Gyro from Geppetto-like father figure to arrogant and socially awkward genius is a pretty spot-on modernization of his role, reflecting our current expectations of the trope. So, while I don't think he's going to be evil, I do think he's going to remain a jackass.
    I honestly dont see anything modernising about it. The only relevant word is murder. There isnt anything left of his original character.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Land of Stone and Stars

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I honestly dont see anything modernising about it. The only relevant word is murder. There isnt anything left of his original character.
    I'm talking about Gyro, here, not the potential for an evil Gizmoduck. Gyro is still a passionate inventor whose creations frequently get out of his control, despite only wanting to improve the lot of his fellow fowl. The man difference between the two their attitude: Moptop was a really sweet dottering inventor, while driven genius who tries to use arrogance to convince people rather than friendliness. His creations are no more prone to evil and destruction (outside of the fact that the '87 show would never have allowed death to be mentioned, while '17 does so frequently), it's just that '17 Gyro confuses arrogance with confidence when trying to sell his inventions and therefore has difficulty making good impressions (which Scrooge is trying to help him overcome with the cards). Note that Lil Bulb identifies Gyro as "father". Not "master" or "creator", but "father". I don't think he's a bad guy, I think he's just socially awkward in a way that the '87 show would not have been willing or able to portray. There's a lot more room for complex characterizations these days, thus the "modernization" I mentioned.

    The more interesting thing is that, if I remember correctly, Scrooge wasn't Gyro's employer in '87, but his primary client as an independent inventor. In '17, Scrooge has his back in a way he never did before - not only insisting on keeping him on the payroll but providing little aids and encouragement to to help him present himself better to the board. I don't think either he nor Quackfaster would actually seek revenge for losing their jobs, but Gyro's struggle with Lil Bulb was a perfect opportunity for Scrooge to get the leverage he needed to get what he wanted and he naturally exploited it.

    Now, we know that Gizmoduck is a lot bigger this time around. It wouldn't be at all surprising if Gyro put the armor on only to find himself overpowered by it, lacking a certain fortitude that Fenton will prove to have in spades. It would be a path to let Fenton earn the armor rather than just stumbling onto it by the absurd coincidence of having the super-secret password be his favorite catch-phrase.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

    1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    The problem with Gyro is best explained by this recent xkcd

    Research Risks


    Robotics is high on both axis!
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reddish Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Chi
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    The problem with Gyro is best explained by this recent xkcd

    Research Risks

    Spoiler
    Show


    Robotics is high on both axis!
    That chart is out of wack. Robotics is definitely the highest potential of getting out and terrorizing. 95% of the time the robots rise up in rebellion.

    Meanwhile with genetic engineering and microbiology...oh never-mind, I can't think of when those things don't end up creating monsters and zombie plagues.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2017-10-26 at 09:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

    Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Merellis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Under an Orange Sky
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    The times when Gladstone isn't a jerk are the hard ones to remember.

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reddish Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Chi
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Spoiler: Episode Indeterminable - The Mummery
    Show
    I like how Webby and Louie interact. Louie’s lackadaisical attitude, and his belief he can con his way out of any problem, is the perfect contrast to Webby’s wholesome adventurer.

    I wonder what it would be like if/when Webby teams up with Dewey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

    Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Land of Stone and Stars

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Spoiler: Episode Indeterminable - The Mummery
    Show
    I like how Webby and Louie interact. Louie’s lackadaisical attitude, and his belief he can con his way out of any problem, is the perfect contrast to Webby’s wholesome adventurer.

    I wonder what it would be like if/when Webby teams up with Dewey.
    Spoiler: Alternate Teamups
    Show
    That one's pretty simple. Dewey demonstrated his concept of adventure pretty solidly in the pilot, jumping headlong into any risk for no better reason than to prove that he can. Webby doesn't have to prove she's a badass, she just knows it and in fact kinda wishes she could dial it down a little every once in a while. She'd basically be playing the role Donald did in the beginning, racing around to disarm the traps almost as quickly as Dewey sets them off. The only difference is that I think Webby would be willing to tell off, just a little, while Donald didn't see the situation as a teachable moment. Webby is normally terrified of isolating herself from the trio, so she'd have to be pushed to the breaking point before she'd do it, but the simple fact is that Dewey's attention-hungry recklessness is far more dangerous than Huey's fear of the unknown or Louie's fondness for the con, and somebody has to knock some sense into him before he gets somebody killed. Webby would be a good candidate for delivering that lecture, being a peer rather than a role-model, as Dewey seems to assume that every warning a role-model offers is a secret test of character.


    Spoiler: The Mummy Episode
    Show
    By the way, I have to appreciate the whole Thriller dance Dewey tried to use against the mummy. Just needed Vincent Price's laugh (or a reasonable facsimile). And how much it throws Scrooge off his game that it's burritos that save the day and not his heroic speeches. The episode was about as pointless as the Infernal Internship, but at least this episode was fun and funny and that counts for a lot, unlike that one.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

    1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reddish Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Chi
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Spoiler: Alternate Teamups
    Show
    That one's pretty simple. Dewey demonstrated his concept of adventure pretty solidly in the pilot, jumping headlong into any risk for no better reason than to prove that he can. Webby doesn't have to prove she's a badass, she just knows it and in fact kinda wishes she could dial it down a little every once in a while.

    Dewey's attention-hungry recklessness is far more dangerous than Huey's fear of the unknown or Louie's fondness for the con, and somebody has to knock some sense into him before he gets somebody killed. Webby would be a good candidate for delivering that lecture, being a peer rather than a role-model, as Dewey seems to assume that every warning a role-model offers is a secret test of character.
    Spoiler: Dewey and Webby's adventures and Toth-Ra
    Show
    Unlike the Louie episode, where Louie puts in all that work just to impulsively spend his first dime on soda, Dewey actually seemed to have learned his lesson from the pilot.

    Yes, Dewey was reckless to an extreme and also showed a lack of thought about anyone else. However, he doesn't act this way in any future episodes. Although I suspect Dewey will be the reckless one, I don't see him repeating that extreme.

    Webby is the competent adventurer. However, going forward I see here being more likely to swing Dewey to safety with her grappling hook than lecture anyone. In every episode we've seen, Webby has been the one receiving the lectures from Louie, Huey or even Lena.

    In fact, I recall now there is one adventure Dewey and Webby has gone on together. During "The Great Dime Chase" Dewey and Webby seek out information on Della Duck. During this portion of the episode, Dewey basically follows Webby around, and Webby is the one that gets them into trouble rather than vice versa.

    I think that segment shows what the Webby-Dewey dynamic is likely to be. Dewey is raw adventurer while Webby is the one with knowledge and experience. Dewey will get himself in trouble in equal measure as being lead into it, and, unlike the other triplets, Dewey will likely not come into conflict with Webby.

    I think this is why the Dewey Webby team up was forgettable. While Webby pairs well when she is with Louie, who attempts to impart his junior con-artist wisdom. Also in our episode Louie turned out to be more reckless, or perhaps he's just greedy.


    Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Spoiler: The Mummy Episode
    Show
    By the way, I have to appreciate the whole Thriller dance Dewey tried to use against the mummy. Just needed Vincent Price's laugh (or a reasonable facsimile). And how much it throws Scrooge off his game that it's burritos that save the day and not his heroic speeches. The episode was about as pointless as the Infernal Internship, but at least this episode was fun and funny and that counts for a lot, unlike that one.
    Spoiler: Toth-Ra, Mark Beaks, Thriller
    Show
    I have to disagree with you here. Mark Beaks seems to me to be a great idea for a continuing villain and his episode, while not the best in the series, tells us more about the relationship between Scrooge and Glomgold, and sets up Mark Beaks for another caper.

    The Living Mummies of Toth-Ra maybe funnier 80's references carry more resonance for you than Silicon Valley parody. I have to admit I think the jokes were better done in this episode. Ultimately though, Toth-Ra and his followers seems pretty forgettable... maybe they should be shown in a future beach episode running burrito stand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

    Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •