New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211

Default Re: Ducktales (2017)

You'd have to ask the people at Disney who handle scheduling why they're taking a month off.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Er... why?
    Because the standard for a "season" these days is 12 episodes. They've got to trickle them out, and them re-run them into the dirt.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brionl View Post
    Because the standard for a "season" these days is 12 episodes. They've got to trickle them out, and them re-run them into the dirt.
    But there have been only 8 episodes so far. And the full season is supposed to be 22.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    But there have been only 8 episodes so far. And the full season is supposed to be 22.
    Season usually means Sept-May. We've got 8. Episode 9 is on Dec 2. That means there is going to be 9 for the mid-season break might be one or two more...and we will still see 22 episodes this year. You never see 22 episodes Sept-Dec for a weekly release show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Season usually means Sept-May. We've got 8. Episode 9 is on Dec 2. That means there is going to be 9 for the mid-season break might be one or two more...and we will still see 22 episodes this year. You never see 22 episodes Sept-Dec for a weekly release show.
    You do see this in other countries not the United States. Sigh, sometimes I like Japanese's Cour system.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    You do see this in other countries not the United States. Sigh, sometimes I like Japanese's Cour system.
    Japan also pops out a lot of filler and sub-par shows, and their show-makers never seem to take breaks.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Japan also pops out a lot of filler and sub-par shows, and their show-makers never seem to take breaks.
    I mean you only end up with filler because the shows have ongoing stories. It's actually rather rare for western cartoon media to even care about an ongoing plotline, and thus they can be described as ALL filler if you really want to get down to it.

And don't think for even a second that the west doesn't also produce some garbo.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Filler like the standard swimsuit/beach episodes of Animes that do not advance the plot Which at best will perhaps recap the plot for new viewers and at worst serve a cheesecake for horny viewers?

Or filler like the episode of DBZ where Goku and Piccolo learn to drive a car which doesn't appear in the manga but is included in the Anime to create more of a buffer between the published manga and the aired anime?
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

9. - Top - End - #219

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    Or filler like the episode of DBZ where Goku and Piccolo learn to drive a car which doesn't appear in the manga but is included in the Anime to create more of a buffer between the published manga and the aired anime?
    And rules, by the way

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

As I understand it, since the next episode, "The Impossible Summit of Mount Neverrest!", has snow, they moved it to December as to have more of a Christmas theme. I don't understand it either, especially as it was supposed to be the third episode (which would have been the Huey-focused episode that would have worked alongside "Woo-oo!" being focused on Dewey and "The Great Dime Chase!" having the main plot be about Louie).
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I mean you only end up with filler because the shows have ongoing stories. It's actually rather rare for western cartoon media to even care about an ongoing plotline, and thus they can be described as ALL filler if you really want to get down to it.
    Western cartoon media isn't bent 9n making your schedule conform to their schedule
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-11-13 at 09:02 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Western cartoon media isn't bent 9n making your schedule conform to their schedule
    I thought it was, far more than Japan's. Cartoons, and other shows, live and die in the US based on ratings, which "who watches the show live" still being the important marker. In Japan, I don't know if ratings are used the same way, but even if they are, anime has the possibility to recoup money on international sales.

On the other hand, cartoon's in the US has moved towards expansive on demand availability (I think this is because parents insist on it). It is possible, in Japan, anime is often not available on demand the way it is here. However, as far as Westerners is concerns, anime is more likely than not only available in DVD or other on demand platforms. From my skewed perspective, anime seems to beat out Western cartoons as not being on a time schedule.

I cannot talk about countries other than US and Japan, I haven't seen enough animation from other countries to say.

13. - Top - End - #223

Yeah, but it doesn't matter if you miss an episode of a western cartoon, or don't see it from the beginning
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Plenty of anime also have overarching plotlines. Try watching Naruto from the middle, or Fairy Tail, One Piece, Bleach.

Also I would say that isn't true of most US cartoons. I speculated earlier that I think Disney is mixing up the episode order in Ducktales as a heavy handed measure of preventing just that sort of thing happening. Even something as plot-focused as Gravity Falls tended to do no more than wink and call back to earlier episodes except at the very end of the season.

The only real exceptions are Avatar (lots of filler episodes though in ATLA) and maybe one or two other forum-friendly cartoons, and even then with caveats (MLP gets very involved for a cartoon ostensibly aimed at 6-8 year old girls, but most episodes are status quo).

15. - Top - End - #225

That's what I'm saying, western cartoons don't have overarching plotlines so it doesn't matter if you miss an episode or watch them out of order. They don't try to hassle you into watching every episode, as it comes out, in order, for fear of losing the plot.

That's why I like shows like Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-11-15 at 01:59 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

16. - Top - End - #226

EvilClericGuy

Louie: "So instead of waiting for Santa Claus . . . "
    Scrooge: "THAT man is not allowed in my home. He knows what he did."

I had to pause the episode there while I laughed.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

17. - Top - End - #227

RangerGuy

So... why am I not finding anything online about when the next episode comes out?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

18. - Top - End - #228

Because it's not in the next few weeks.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

The girl and I have not so much decided to drop this as come to the conclusion that the old DT is better in all but two respects: Donald being perfect and Webby being more than 'the power of heart' character, so we're just rewatching the old stuff. Maybe we'll get back to it in 6 months or so when we've finished the stuff on our list.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    The girl and I have not so much decided to drop this as come to the conclusion that the old DT is better in all but two respects: Donald being perfect and Webby being more than 'the power of heart' character, so we're just rewatching the old stuff. Maybe we'll get back to it in 6 months or so when we've finished the stuff on our list.
    Gonna have to disagree on that. The new ones so far have all been pretty darn good, IMO.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brionl View Post
    Gonna have to disagree on that. The new ones so far have all been pretty darn good, IMO.
    Which of my opints do you disagree with?
    You think nDT is better than oDT?
    You think Donald is bad?
    You think Webby was better as the bland power of heart character who only occasionally showed up?
    You think we aren't going to get around to watching nDT at some point?

Because I didn't say nDT was bad - if it was we wouldn't want to finish it at some point. I merely said oDT was better in all but two respects.
    Last edited by BWR; 2017-12-15 at 07:10 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232

I'm pretty sure the intent is obvious. He disagree with that last bit right there, that Old Ducktales is better in those two last regards that you think it's better at.

23. - Top - End - #233

EvilClericGuy

The new one is also better in that they are making new episodes. You can't say that about the old one.

24. - Top - End - #234

RangerGuy

So... where on Earth is the rest of the season?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

25. - Top - End - #235

EvilClericGuy

Feb 2 is the next episode

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    So... where on Earth is the rest of the season?
    It lies in the heart of Disney HQ in a vault within a trap filled dungeon guarded by dancing alligators, a dragon, and Hades’ dog.

Nothing that would give Scrooge McDuck any problems.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Feb 2 is the next episode
    If this was true, I never saw it.

28. - Top - End - #238

EvilClericGuy

I honestly cant find where i read that anymore.

29. - Top - End - #239

I honestly cant find where i read that anymore.
    You probably didn't. They did announce the show would resume two months after the Neverrest episode, which aired on 12-2-17. Maybe you just interpreted that literally?

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    You probably didn't. They did announce the show would resume two months after the Neverrest episode, which aired on 12-2-17. Maybe you just interpreted that literally?
    That date and the weekend has past and I don’t see any news for when its going to return. Perhaps because the groundhog saw its shadow we get six more weeks without Ducktales?